Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Did anyone ever look into making NPCs react negatively to you grabbing owned items? Being able to steal anything you want by picking it up and hauling it into the bathroom with you first is a pretty big exploit so I'm guessing someone would've already done it if it was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Anyone have any experience with how well New Vegas Uncut - Freeside Open and New Vegas Restoration - NVR play together? On first glance they seem to load fine, looks like the only thing they have in common is modifying the immediate area around the gate to the strip, but these things can be so finicky that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that just that was enough for NVR to break half the quests that Freeside Uncut restores or something.

TerryLennox posted:

Any suggestion for more realistic textures for people? Not interested in nude textures but the play doh-toned skins really piss me off. Particularly the legs. The skin looks like someone outlined a leg and then filled in the area in a shade of beige in Paint.

what's wrong dude don't you want all the women to look like nude bodybuilders

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So I've been fiddling around with making one of the backpack mods apply a couple penalties like a movespeed decrease while you wear it (I like the idea of having a reason to occasionally drop it), and after a sweaty, embarassingly-long amount of time I've managed to cobble something together, but in order to apply the speed increase that comes from dropping the bag I have to sneak in order to get the game to recalculate my new speed. Not like it's a big deal, but anyone know if there's a way to do that via GECK instead? Preferably a simple one because I have no real idea what I'm doing?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Is there a mod to fix the fact that the game seems to think every wall and object in the game is about 10% bigger than it actually is, making your bullets run into invisible barriers while you try to shoot from cover? I'd search but I don't even know what terms to use.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I haven't seen it linked, but this mod's pretty cool, it changes the scopes to be more like more recent FPS games: no black background, you see the scope model in front of you in first person, and in third-person scoped weapons don't force you into first person when you aim, now they just increase your zoom by an appropriate amount. Although it looks like the mod still needs work (no support for GRA variants, and it looks like there's an issue with the anti-materiel rifle) and the original author isn't working on it anymore, but hopefully someone takes up the mantle.

Raygereio posted:

Collision meshes. If you search for collision on the nexus you should find a mod that fixes a few of those issues. But I'm not aware of a mod that fixes every object in the game.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but Collision Meshes overhauls a lot of the ingame scenery by properly modeling the meshes on fences and the like, so you can actually fire through gaps.

Thanks, that definitely makes things better.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Anyone have any experience with Legion Quests Expanded? I tend to avoid new quests since they always stick out like a sore thumb to me, but this one at least sounds like it keeps things pretty organic and low-key. I'm trying to make the Legion side of things a bit less anemic without making any big changes to game balance.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well knowing that would have saved me from three hours of failed mod testing followed by a clean install. God dammit that mod list took forever to tweak

I've been fooling around with mods for a little bit now, testing things out and modifying stuff when something isn't quite how I want it to be. I just now looked at the "created on" date on the first mod I downloaded and it turns out that was in early August.

But I'm like this close to actually playing the game I swear.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So is it just me or is the third-person crosshair pretty significantly misaligned? I thought it was just weapon spread for awhile, but after some testing it seems like I can only hit things consistently in third person if I aim a centimeter or two to the left of them. I'm using a shitload of mods though, so it may legitimately just be me.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Klungar posted:

I'm sure this is a common question, but I'm about to play FNV for the first time, and was wondering what mods would be recommended just to fix bugs and make things look nicer and whatnot, without messing with the core gameplay or making things harder, so I can experience the game as close to how it was meant to be played before pouring on the mods in future playthroughs. Does anyone have suggestions?

Someone who's not phone posting can link to the recommended bug fixes etc., but it is worth noting that the Jsawyer mod, while technically making balance changes, was made by the lead designer of the game, so it might still be worth looking into as a lot of people consider it more of a final patch.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Xibanya posted:

I've been having a blast modding New Vegas to make it prettier, perform better, and all around be more fun, but now I want to venture into the more esoteric. Are there any fun mods that essentially bolt a game of a different genre onto NV? I'm thinking of Skyrim mods that turn the game into a farming sim, or a city management game, or even a dating sim or w/e. Not that I would prefer the game be that at all times, but I get a kick out of the novelty of those kinds of mods for Skyrim.

I haven't played it so I can't vouch for it, but I know Real Time Settler turns the game into a RTS, you can build your own wasteland city, etc.

There's also Wasteland Defender, same idea I think but less of a conversion and more just integrated into the vanilla game. Go with RTS if you want something more drastically different.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Rinkles posted:

Has anybody successfully attempted to port FO4's radiation system to NV?

I haven't played it, but doesn't FO4 reduce your max HP as you take on more rads? If so I'm pretty sure I saw that on the Nexus during my last attempt to make sure I spend more time modding this game than playing it, phone posting otherwise I'd link, but I believe it's on there somewhere.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Before I start digging through my load order to find the culprit, anyone ever have a problem like this? Only happens for some weapons (usually new ones I've downloaded and am excited about using :argh:), and only while ADSing. I assumed it was my larger FOV loving things up somehow, but I've been messing around with that and the only way I can use it to fix the problem is by setting it so low that I'd prefer not to play, even FNV's default unacceptably-low setting isn't low enough.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Thanks for the suggestions, turns out I was using Hitman's animation replacers (had 'em so long I forgot they were there), but they didn't seem to be the culprit, so I dicked around with my FOV some more and managed to get it in a place where the error only shows up in a handful of guns I care about, and I was able to fix those by just manually adjusting their sight FOVs until they worked fine. I can't set my player FOV higher than mid-sixties which sucks but I can live with it more than I can hosed up ironsights so I'll call this a win.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Halser posted:

Returning to FNV after playing other RPGs, it's really weird how you're forced to level up as soon as you reach the experience cap.

in FO1, FO2 and FOT I pretty much always saved my perk and skill points for when "I really needed it". Apparently there's a mod that changes this partially, but it still only allows you to screw around with your points when you level up, it just stacks them between levels.

I'm guessing you mean this one? According to the changelog, leveling up between levels using your skills/perks tabs is coming, author is stlll active on the page and claims the new version should be out by the end of July, he's just testing to make sure the new features aren't going to gently caress up your game.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This has been out for awhile but I haven't seen anyone post about it (most likely because Hitman doesn't put his stuff on the Nexus anymore), but this Animated Ammo & Weapon Condition Checking mod is awesome if you're super spergy about gun detail, or if you like playing without a HUD/your ammo count turned off. Keep in mind you need his 1st person animation overhaul installed first or else some of the new animations won't line up correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOY2duwaK4

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Not exactly new but I haven't seen it posted before, someone made a pretty well done mod that converts the Legion into Nazis and the NCR into the Soviets.

Even if you don't download it's worth it for the comments. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Did anyone ever make an inventory sorter (not the Sort-o-matic kind, I mean the kind that adds prefixes to item names) that's script-based? The only ones I can find just modify the names of items directly, so they create conflicts with anything else that modifies items, and don't cover items added or restored by other mods.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Agents are GO! posted:

Thats actually an option in Wrye Bash for NV.

Oh awesome, I just downloaded Wyre yesterday and haven't had a chance to get too deep into it yet, I'll check it out.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So I'm on my billionth playthrough and I'm really tired of having to hire a specific companion every time I'm about to witness some event that earns me points with them just so I can finish their storylines, has anyone ever made a mod that streamlines that process? I'm sure it's probably doable through the console but that's no fun.

Also unrelated but: this is worth looking through.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Crindee posted:

Did anyone ever make an inventory sorter (not the Sort-o-matic kind, I mean the kind that adds prefixes to item names) that's script-based? The only ones I can find just modify the names of items directly, so they create conflicts with anything else that modifies items, and don't cover items added or restored by other mods.

Speak of the devil, guy uploaded it like two weeks after I posted. Even has an ini that you can use to change what items are sorted, and what prefixes are used for each item type. Neat.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Grab and Go is a nice little underrated mod from the creator of the Loot Menu for FNV (also awesome and I don't see it in the OP) which lets you hold the grab key to automatically equip or consume an item in the world without having to pick it up first. It's simple, but it saves me a lot of dicking around in the Pip Boy when I just want to quickly eat a few things I "found" in the Atomic Wrangler's kitchen.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dragbody's got some really neat looking faction/armor overhauls coming out that I look forward to not being able to download because GUNetwork is run by snobs. Or I could just wait for someone with less scruples to snag the files and leak them.

Yeah the nice thing about GUNetwork being apparently being run by crazy people is that there's a lot drama which leads to a lot of disgruntled people that post poo poo on r/modpiracy out of spite, I'm using his FO4 Power Armor mod right now and it's great.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Someone released a weapon inertia mod, in a few more years of modding this game is gonna start feeling like a first person shooter or something.

EDIT: And for third-person users, a diagonal movement mod. Looks like it isn't compatible with NVEC yet but author says they'll patch it this week, hopefully.

Crindee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 3, 2018

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Rowsdower!

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

cuntman.net posted:

is there a mod that makes managing the meters in hardcore less annoying? its kinda tedious to open your pip boy, flip to the status page, click once for each status bar, flip to inventory, and then go to consumables

oHUD lets you display those values on the HUD at least (and I think maybe Solid Project includes it too, not at my computer to check). There's also a mod I love called Grab and Go that lets you hold the grab button to immediately consume or equip stuff that's lying around rather than have to dig in your inventory for it, which is helpful for quickly eating and drinking everyone's stuff.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This is cool, I had no idea this was even a thing. I wonder how many NPCs in the game are actually good-aligned, as opposed to neutral? I feel like I've gone on a few mass-murder sprees in this game before, but I don't think I've heard this track.

"When entering combat in New Vegas, the music track that plays is chosen based on the opponent's Karma rating; meaning if you fight "Evil" (and neutral?) enemies in a Rural area, the "Rural Evil" track will play.

This works out for the most part, but it's kind of weird that playing a Good/Neutral character means you'll rarely, if ever get to hear the heroic "Good" tracks. (Which itself is strange that you'll only hear those tracks while fighting Good characters.)

This mod swaps the settings of the Battle Music Mediasets so that anytime an Evil track would play, the Good version will play instead, giving you some nice Heroic Cowboy Noises while fighting the forces of Evil and some appropriate dirges for killing Innocent People."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50PAJr1J-I&t=22s

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How would I even know, since the radio is always playing?

If I hear Jingle Jangle again I'll kill myself

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I could never really get into melee weapons but this might change that

Melee Cleave

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I don't normally go for the hardcore immersion mods but I might end up using this and actually playing on a normal difficulty, usually I feel like I have to crank it up just to compensate for how overpowered you get and then the fights just end up taking forever

No Pipboy in Combat

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Search button for inventory/container/barter/recipe menus, for those of you who absolutely must carry everything all the time

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
JIP just released this: NVHR - New Vegas Heap Replacer

"This mod replaces the game's dynamic memory management system with a much superior implementation, based on the Intel® TBB scalable allocation method.

This will provide a significant boost to overall game performance, including increased frame-rates and reduced loading times and stutter.

All those improvements do not come entirely without a price, most notably increased memory usage. The game will consume relatively more memory. At the same time, however, the available resources will be managed at much higher efficiently, which will mostly mitigate the cost."

People in the comments are complaining about crashes so I don't know if I'd jump on it just yet (it's like seven hours old after all) but once they start getting bugs ironed out this sounds good

EDIT: lol already hidden, presumably until they can get it to quit crashing the game... or maybe it was just a figment of my imagination :iiam:

Crindee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2019

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This looks neat, it's nothing huge but it adds roaming "cowboys" (Brahmin/etc. herders) to the wasteland.

Home On The Wastes

Makes me want to finish compiling every cowboy-style weapon I found on the internet and do a full cowboy run

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
THANK you.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Has this been done in any of the big animation packs already? I don't really use most of 'em, but this looks pretty good, and I always love Hitman's stuff; his animated condition/ammo check is one of my favorites.

Iron Sights Recoil Animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9qg5l6no-A

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Titans of the New West

New script-based Power Armor adjustment that makes PA have the same proportions as it did in the older games, and also doesn't give you a huge head/weapon like PA Scaling does. Looks awesome, though it's new and not compatible with Ragdolls (yet - looks pretty popular already so hopefully somebody'll throw together a patch at some point).

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Honestly this is the LAST fuckin thing any of us need

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Someone finally fixed that bug where the West Pump Station wasn't filled with piss

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Now someone else fixed that bug where you couldn't find and become addicted to piss bags

e: lol

Crindee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2020

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Melee lovers: 360 Movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Armed to the Teeth has been around for awhile, but this new version makes it so it doesn't need any compatibility patches and doesn't bake anything into your save. Pretty cool.