Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Entered my email for Voice on Monday and got invited today. They certainly aren't letting people in early based on how much they've used it since I've done 3 text messages and 3 phones calls since I signed up for it years ago.

Biggest thing I don't like about it is having to enter my contacts for Voice, even though I already have them on my phone.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

god this blows posted:

Do you have your contacts on gmail? I didn't have to re-enter any of mine.

Nope. I just have contacts setup on my phone but I've never done any syncing for them. Guess I'll need to get around to doing that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

I assume that I won't "lose" my actual Sprint Number if I make my GV number my Sprint number though, right?

I want to go that route, but I don't want everyone who has my existing Sprint Number to suddenly not be able to contact me if they don't change my contact information. Basically, I want all of the features that Google Voice offers, but I want to be able to have unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling though that number.

What happens when someone calls/texts me at my existing Sprint Number? Does Sprint just forward it along to Google's servers, and it all shows up in my GV app?

Hope this helps some

quote:

Hello,

You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed a link to a form where you can send feedback and/or questions.

There are two ways to enable the integrated service:

1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.

How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.

2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).

How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.

In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.

Important Notes:

The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
If you need support, or have feedback, please fill out this form
If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.
Thanks,

Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team

© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You are receiving this email announcement because you requested to be notified when the Sprint integration was available.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

fagalicious posted:

If you use your sprint number as the google voice number can it still forward to other phones? How does it work if so? Does it use your minutes at all, or only when you answer on your mobile. I'm also wondering if the anytime mobile thing still works with it?

You can forward to other phones. It works the same way as before where if someone calls your voice number, you can have it go to other phones. It works the same as before.

You still use your minutes but it uses voice for international calls.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

If someone texts my GV Number, I can have it show up in ONLY the GV App, or the GV App AND the Stock Messaging app (Same as before)

How do you set it to only use the GV app, or is that only a feature for option 2?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I would assume if you turn off Text forwarding in the GV Options it would stop, but I've never looked into it.

I tried that last week and it stops them from going to the phone while they show up on the site.

The messaging deal is my only real issue so far.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

Aside from just turning off notifications in the Stock Messaging app then, I have no idea.

That's what I ended up doing except then I never know when I get MMS.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Jensen posted:

I'm confused. What are you trying to do again?

If you don't want it to send actual "normal" text messages to your cell phone and just send GV app text messages, then just turn off "receive text messages on this phone" in the options.

It works dandy.

What the hell? I swear that didn't work before the integration.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Ozmodiar posted:

No. If/when it becomes available to you, you'll be given the option from the Google Voice webpage.

Some people have it because Google/Sprint seems to be rolling it out in stages.

I got it early because I signed up on the link.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Maybe the lesson to learn is not buy a Samsung phone on day 1, even if some other party controls part of it.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and the problems are only for a few unlucky cucumbers.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Gingerbread is now rolling out for the EVO 4G. You can manually prompt for the download now and it should send out notifications on Monday.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/03/happy-evo-4g-owners-get-gingerbread-update-right-on-schedule/

People are saying it breaks Netflix.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I had something weird happen with my shift today. I was taking a picture of the digital odometer in my car and after a couple seconds, the camera app shut off and there was a message that a DMR license was required and the picture wasn't saved.

Was it a fluke or is there a bunch of other things I can't take pictures of?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

CharlesM posted:

What the hell? Could they really be doing that? That is crazy. I know technology like Google Goggles exists and is quite impressive, but the normal phone app connecting and doing image recognition? I'm sure there would be some kind of privacy issue there.

Edit: I have a feeling it a system bug of some kind, not related to what you are taking pictures of. That would be insane. Were you playing music at the same time?

No music playing but I'll try it again.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I'm not getting a 3D as I just got my Shift. I'm just chiming in to say I got my system update message today for Android :)

I also discovered something pretty lovely. You can't change the account for Google Talk without resetting the phone to factory settings. Since we switched our email system at work to gmail, I was hoping to change my account to that one. I guess calendar is the same way but I used it for the first time with my work email, so that's good.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know how the update for the shift is please. My fiance got it and her shift has gone to poo poo since the update. Really frustrating.

There's been hiccups. My netflix app streams audio but no video. Since it's not officially supported, I'm not to concerned with that.

The most major thing so far has been some programs crashing the first time I ran them after the update but then working after that. The biggest pain is having to enter all my usernames and passwords into everything again.

What's happening with hers? I'll try and lookout for the same stuff.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Intruder posted:

So at the risk of being relentlessly mocked.. seriously, what if anything makes the iphone better than the Evo or the Galaxy S II? I'm finally going to stop being a cheapass and ditch my TP2

Find someone with an iphone(or an ipod and just pretend it can make calls) and try it out first. Don't just buy it without trying it.

I like my ipad but I also like having an Android phone. I like having both worlds as long as those worlds don't consist of an android tablet and an iphone. gently caress that.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Is there some recent change with sending short codes through google voice on sprint phones? I try sending a msg to redbox this morning for their holiday promotion and I get an error that short codes aren't supported and asks if I want to send it through my native sms. Up till the most recent GV update, it always worked fine.

If I go to the website, I can send it and see the responses I'm not getting. I can also send to the short code without problems.

If I change the settings to get messages to my old messaging app and GV I'll see the sent and received texts on both programs on my phone.

Maybe it's just me? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and get the same error. The number is 727272 and you send FUN to it for a discount code.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Currently have an Evo Shift and I'm up for an upgrade. Since I don't want to change my plan(SERO Premium), it looks like my choices are pretty limited. While the Remarq and XP STRIKE seem like the obvious choices, I was leaning towards the Galaxy S2 but there's a bunch of reviews complaining about battery life and dropped calls. Is it really that bad or should I be looking at something else?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

td4guy posted:

You can get any phone you want. You simply need to call in and have 'em swap the SERO Premium plan code from the WiMax one to the LTE one. You're not limited to old crap.

Thank god.

Duckman2008 posted:

Why are you switching from a smart phone to a feature phone (also the remarq is long discontinued). If you are using your upgrade but the galaxy S3 or the iPhone 5, anything else smartphone wise on sprint is the wrong choice (or the note 2 if you don't mind the size).

Now that I know I can go with a Galaxy S3, I'm doing with that. I was worried I hit another phone plateau, like when I had the older sero and wanted a smartphone.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2013

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

uapyro posted:

I'm about to add a new line to my account; is there anything stopping me from going to Best Buy, getting a new individual line, and then in a few weeks converting it to a family share plan? I noticed the prices are much better for new individual lines online at Amazon/other places, and that's how my account is set now currently at 2 individual lines.

That's kind of what I just did yesterday. I changed my sero premium plan to a family plan at a corporate store, because of sero. Then I went to Costco, upgraded my phone and added a new line, getting the promo prices for the phones in the process.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you sure you're still on EPRP, then? I thought no third party could properly touch it.

I'm just on a regular family plan now. Last I looked, staying on would just get me an extra 100 minutes a month but I rarely use any minutes as it is. I was halfway through my billing cycle and had only used 1 minute so far. I'm fine with trading away the hassle factor that came with the EPRP. I was on chat last week trying to get a price quote on something and I got transferred multiple times and it ended up taking 15-20 minutes just to get an answer.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Butt Reactor posted:

How's the battery life? My epic won't even make it through a full day without needing to be charged in my car, at work, etc. And this is with some text/web browsing, NO 4G access.

I've been getting a couple days between charges on my new one. No 4G access, doing email/messaging, BT streaming music, light gaming and web browsing.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

allcowseatgrass posted:

Whats the deal with the sprint website? I'm finally eligible to upgrade and every time I go to try to shop for a phone, the stupid thing dumps me back at an empty cart. This has been going on for weeks.

Try a different browser. I have problems with Firefox and end up having to use Chrome to get anything done.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

manwithoutskin posted:

I was confused as to why everyone was bashing insurance but I hadn't realized the rates have gone up.

Even at the old rates, the amount of money I save by not getting insurance is more than the cost of a phone replacement for me. I don't break my phones but on the off chance I did, I'd be out less getting a replacement myself.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Matlock posted:

The initial setup of the HTC One is slick as heck. Go into a web browser on your PC when both are connected to the internet, type in a passphrase, and do all the major stuff up fromt.

So you can't just do the setup from the phone? You have to use a PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone had issues with Google Voice after switching phones?

Since upgrading to the One, GV stopped handling my voicemails, and oddly a few texts that I've gotten don't appear in GV (but most of them do, can't figure out any pattern). The voicemail app on the One is actually pretty decent, but I'd rather have the GV convenience. Will disabling GV and re-enabling it from the website gently caress anything up?

I had similar issues about a month before I switched phones. Tried disabling and re-enabling it but that didn't do anything. Switching to the new phone helped but it also might have been the fact that with my plan change they had to turn it off at Sprint and then I had to redo it through google.