Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Assuming an orthodox stand, what do you usually do with your right arm in a muay thai roundhouse kick? I'm a little confused cause I'm new to this and am getting different instructions. The classes I was taking at one place taught me to stick the arm out and swing it to the left along with the kick, and told explicitly not to bring the arm back. Moved back home and at the new place I'm going to went out of their way to tell me to bring the arm back (like this http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1259-muay-thai-kickboxing-how-to-throw-a-round-kick). Is it just a personal preference thing? I feel like I can get more force and balance bringing it back, but I can also see how the original way I was taught probably offers better defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks a ton dude. Yeah, you figured out what I was saying. The first place I was at was a more traditional Thai-style place while the one I'm at right now is more modern styled, so that explains some stuff..

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bangkero posted:

My previous post on recommending boxing is pretty much the same for kickboxing. Minimal small talk, just shut the gently caress up and train.

Even though the aerobic kickboxing would better suit your anxiety you should try out the fitness kickboxing since that will give you a chance at actual pad work and imo is a better workout (and an actual martial art).

Good luck, have fun.

Fitness kickboxing looks interesting to me. I wanna start hitting more classes at my gym and I've been thinking of hitting some of those on top of the classes cause it looks like a good way to get form down while being a super cardio workout. The classes I've being doing lately haven't had much in the way of pad or bag work so far. Mostly just partner drills and sparring, which is great and fun but I kinda miss pad work.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ligur posted:

I have also heard a very convincing argument that soccer, or European style football makes one of the best defense systems in the world ever devised. It is very simple, which is in the nature of all effective SD systems, and requires only one technique to master after the practice of running from one place into another place.

You learn yourself to run, and better yet, to deliver a hard and accurate updwards kick with your naturally stronger foot so as to propel the soccer ball off and away, by practicing the kick thousands and thousands of times until it becomes second nature, like that of sitting down, walking or flipping pancakes if you are a cook, requiring no effort to deliver with maximum effectiveness.

The kick in itself is simple: the motion is designed to take the fastest possible route from the starting point accurately to the target with no preparation, ideal for combat. When you encounter a hostile assailant, you simply perform the same kick but aimed between his or her legs (repeatedly if necessary) instead of a soccer ball, and then employ the technique of running from that place to another place whilst the aggressor is momentarily stunned.

Joe Rogan likes to bring up soccer making you kick hard every time Jose Aldo fights.

I accidentally kneed someone in the balls today while we were clinch sparring. I felt really bad about it, and even though I was on the other end of it it reminded me that I should really get a cup if I don't want the same thing to happen to me one day.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Has any confirmed that that's Shalorus? Sure looks like him. Crazy dude.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

TheStampede posted:

Ha ha ha, so I had a fight tomorrow. I was on my 5th opponent for this card, and I just found out he dropped as well. He was 3-1 in MMA, and I'm 2-2 in MT. That's okay though, they found someone who would take the fight on less then 24hr notice.

This guy

Guess that advice of yours is really timely, Guilty.

:aaa:

Good luck.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm interested in starting to train, most likely at a BJJ or MMA dojo, and I was wondering if there were any good websites that rated dojos by area? Also anyone know a good spot on Oahu?

Chris Leben has a gym in Honolulu. I have no idea about it's quality though.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

gimpsuitjones posted:

hyyyyuuuuuppppp

Checked a kick with my already bruised knee, ffff

On this note, my knees barely have any skin on them right now from kneeing a heavy bag a bunch. Am I doing it wrong?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I never wore a cup for the longest time in grappling and I started wearing one like 6 months ago, and yesterday I forgot to bring it and i felt like a nude piece of poo poo. Once you get used to that thing it is like a suit of armor, you feel superhuman wearing that sucker

The first time I bought a cup it blew my mind. I just put it on and home and walked around with it for like an hour occasionally hitting myself in the sack. I was like a little kid who didn't want to take off his halloween costume.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

IratelyBlank posted:

I think a big part of training is learning who plays nice and who doesn't. I have a list of dudes in my mind that I always consciously avoid because I know they have no self control and are just way too intense (and not even good) for practice.

I'll avoid them most of the time, but every once an a while I'll suck it up and go with them because I think it's worth knowing what it's like to be totally overwhelmed sometimes and just focus on keeping my wits around me as I get beat up. That might just be me trying to overcompensate for being bad by trying to be a tough guy though. And if I have to spar with them all the time that can just gently caress right off.

It's taken four months, but I think my shins finally toughened up a bit. I got some bruises on them right now that are there, but even though they're fresh they still barely hurt. It's weird.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Thoguh posted:

True for basically every martial art. It isn't the experienced guys going at it 100% that cause most injuries, it is the beginners that are trying stuff out for the first few times.

I can't totally agree with this - there is a difference between guys that are just a level above you that totally school you and guys who don't have control and just go wild. The first are a group you can learn from and should definitely put yourself against from time to time. The second is a group that is to be avoided whenever possible until you are very, very confident in your abilities.

That makes sense. Yeah, I don't wanna advocate anything dangerous. There's one guy at my gym who's way better than me and also tends to spar hard and that's kinda who I was thinking about when I wrote it.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I know the feeling. It's one thing to know that you should be more aggressive, but it's hard to get in that zone when I get teeped the second I step in to throw anything.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm thinking about hanging up a heavy bag in my basement, but I ain't much of a DIY guy. How the hell do you mount one of those things? I've looked at free-standing bags, but I like the hanging ones way better than wavemasters and stuff like that.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool, thanks. I'll take a look around and see what could work. I was talking about it with my coach today and he was kinda pushing me towards getting a free standing one, or at least one that hangs from a stand because apparently they can be super noisy if you jack em straight into a ceiling which might not be the greatest while I still live with my folks. Also he's paranoid cause he beat the hell out of his old one and it ripped the rafter down with it after a year or so, but I ain't putting it past him that he might have hosed up the setup for it.

I know a wavemaster would be the easiest option, but I like my bags to have some resistance to em.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Everyone who's been there for longer than a few weeks and who didn't show up late wraps their hands at my MT gym.

Injuries aside, I just like it from a cleanliness standard. It's basically underwear for your gloves. Using a clean pair of wraps every time you use them is probably the number one thing you can do to keep them from smelling like poo poo.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 21, 2012

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Xguard86 posted:

Strikers: I've got pain stiffness and some weakness in the back of my shoulder after boxing today. I actually think I strained something at bjj but I'm really feeling it now.

Am I punching wrong or is this just a weird one time thing? Do I need to worry?

sparred for the second time today. I feel like I'm a terrible spaz but everyone said it was actually very good for a second go around. Art least I didn't cry.

Were you holding pads/mitts? That can gently caress up your shoulders if you're not putting in enough resistance when someone's hitting them.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I wear contacts and never have had any issues with em, but I don't get knocked around too bad usually.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I hate that poo poo. I love my Kickboxing gym, but they say you have to wear a club shirt while you train. Just in case you forget where you are I guess? I bought the cheapest one to shut em up when I signed the contract and haven't worn it since and no one's ever given me poo poo about it so it hasn't been too bad but I think the principal is so stupid.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Pot posted:

That's sad, at my gym you only get to wear the shirt if you're a fighter...and being a fighter means you're expected to regularly train & compete, not show up once or twice a week.

Whatever. It's a shirt dude. There's a whole lot of status bitching in fighting that I don't get.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

gotly posted:

I'm about 3 classes deep in my Muay Thai class. When do I buy a nutcup? We do slow practice on each other (not true sparring) that involves kicking the inner thigh. I'm afraid someone will goof up and zoink me in the gonads, but no close calls yet.

It WILL happen. Hate to break it to you. You'll probably accidentally kick someone in the junk too. Nature of the sport. I wear a cup when I spar but I don't bother otherwise cause honestly I think they're kind of annoying. I might have just got a lovely one. I'll sometimes put it in if we're doing a bunch of knee drills too.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Crossposted to the tattoo thread:

I'm getting the inside of my left bicep done up tomorrow. I typically kickbox three times a week or so. How long should I take off/go no contact to let it heal? I'm not a grappler or anything so I'm not rubbing it up against anyone. I figure any contact to my inner bicep is gonna be accidental and doesn't happen much, so I'm hoping that I'll only have to drop a week or so. Anyone have any experience with this?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

niethan posted:

Yeah I'd skip a couple days if it's sore and still excreting liquid, then you should be good.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm an ignorant first world brat, but I like watching kickboxing (and other fight sports) because it's cool and fun and I just kinda sit there and twiddle my thumbs bored if they do that two step around the ring and flail their hands thing. I get that it's a traditional Thai thing, but I have no interest in it and I'm pretty sure you can respect your opponents without doing a ritualistic dance before every fight.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Israfel posted:

Well I'm sure Thai dudes watching baseball feel the same way about the national anthem? "Jesus why do these fucks have to all stand up and sing some stupid song for five minutes can't they find some other way?"

Not ragging on you but I mean the sport IS what it is and Wai Khru/Ram Muay are part of it so whatever I guess I can deal with it.

That's a good way of putting it. I don't hate it or anything, I just have no personal connection to it.

Some purists will probably hate me for this, but I usually think of Muay Thai as synonymous with kickboxing, so going from watching K-1/Euro/Japanese leagues without pre-fight rituals to watching Thai stuff is sometimes a little jarring in terms of presentation because I think of them as the same sport.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Thanks for the info. I'm never was a diehard enough fan of either to keep track of the details of the rulesets other than punch/kick the other guy till they fall over. Funny how I've been training for 8 months or so but rules really haven't come up that much. Don't really need to worry about them for most basic drills.

Like hell you see TKD guys much in K-1 though.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've been taught to focus on the upper body mainly cause it's good for reads, and when people fake it's usually just with the limbs, not with the body. I think the idea is just not to get mesmerized by someone waving their hands around.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Stabbing Spork posted:

Wow, another Ottawa Muay Thai goon. Didn't think that would happen.
I've been training at the Ottawa Academy of Martial arts for about a year now and I've been loving it. There's usually a couple N1 guys competing at the Throwdowns or Wreck MMA's, so maybe I'll see you next time.
And go to the Skarbowsky seminar if you can, in his technique classes he has good info for people of all levels. Just be careful in sparring, last time he was here he chipped someones tooth, and hurt someone elses rib.

Sounds like him. You might know the story already, but GSP brought him in as a guest coach for the Ultimate Fighter and he beat the piss out of the guys. And while it was kinda funny watching a small drunk dude with a pot belly beat up MMA wannabes, it's a bit of a dick move.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Israfel posted:

So I'm a natural leftie and I fight southpaw and I've been looking around the net for tips on how to take advantage of it to its fullest extent. So far it seems southpaws are bad at jabbing vs. an orthodox but have great straights and rear kicks. Been watching vids of southpaw fighters like Yodsanklai Fairtex and their combos, any other southpaws itc with some tips?

Your power rear kick can go right to the liver. Enjoy it, cause it rules.

I like (well, not really, but it's useful) doing conditioning before a class because I work and get pushed way harder with a coach than any poo poo I would do on my own, but I was also never an athlete when I was a kid so I don't have the discipline that some serious people do.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 11, 2012

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Is there a page that quickly explains legal MT throws? I might have even asked you before IIRC, it's all above the waist, with no leg reaps allow as part of a throw.
When our sanshou fighters train for MT matches, the coach has to review which of their throws won't be allowed.

What I've heard from my coaches is that it's no trips, but kicking someone's leg as you shove them off balance is kind of in a grey area depending on the ref. Sometimes a kick to the leg while you shove them looks like a trip, while other sometimes people trip you and pretend it was just a kick.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Muay Thai club at my school is really particular* about sparring and I'm thinking about crashing my buddies TKD club once in a while some for some weird cross-style sparring so I can do some more live training once in a while. Is this a horrible idea?

*affiliated with a very traditional Thai style school, doesn't let students spar until they have really good cardio/pitch perfect technique/explicitly approved by gym owner. Has a culture that you have to earn sparring by being a serious athlete. They miiight let me spar in the next few months or so but I have a hunch it'll be a while. I respect that and don't want to undermine it cause these guys run a legit hardcore gym for sure, but I was sparring once in a while at my old gym and wanna keep it up on some sort of basis for the obvious reasons of it being fun and I think it's good practice whether I can do 100 pushups and whip off kicks like a little Thai guy or not.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 24, 2012

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm not expecting it to help me much, but I think it would be fun and I miss being able to do more free form stuff. Hoping it won't lead to bad habits.

Whoever was talking about intensity is probably right. I have a hunch that the reason they hold off on sparring at my current gym is they seem to approach it with a lot more intensity than my old gym, whereas there they had no qualms throwing you into sparring after a month if you felt ready just as long as everyone was being careful and keeping it light.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

mewse posted:

Have any of you injured your knuckles before?

The middle finger knuckle on my power hand has been sore and swollen for like three weeks now. My doctor sent me to get an x-ray and that was a week ago, haven't heard back yet.

Wondering if anyone has had anything similar and how long it took to heal :/

The closest thing I got to that was a really stupid injury. My friend who does TMA had a rebreakable board lying around at a new years party and I punched through it all night without gloves. Nothing broke but my knuckles were sore and swollen and my hand wasn't a hundred percent for probably five or six weeks. Didnt see any docs though mind you, knuckles just take a while to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

fatherdog posted:

Yeah that's cool and all but arts that purport to be teaching you how to fight without doing live sparring are going to get students hurt when they take that seriously.

Like I would have no problem with a traditional martial art that basically says "We're basically performance gymnastics with kicks, we'll get you into great shape but if you ever get into a fight forget all of this stuff and run like gently caress" but I rather doubt that's how most of them present themselves. Certainly none that I've ever visited.

A buddy of mine has been doing traditional Wushu since he was a kid and he basically acknowledges it's more like dancing than fighting. That's probably not the norm though.

• Locked thread