Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I have heard a rumor that boxers have some of the best punches around, because thats all they do. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tbh, any activity will help a bit. I have noticed a distinct link between my mental health and the amount of exercise I do. Even going for a walk helps. I hope stuff turns around for you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

If space is an issue, what about getting a mirror and shadow boxing?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Quitting smoking isn't a walk in the park. I've heard it's more difficult to quit than certain harder drugs. I already got a new e-cig to help with bad cravings. I'm going to start reading forums, etc. about quitting to get motivated. I don't know what else I should do but that's a good start.

The thing that got me was all the little triggers that happen during the day. The morning ciggies with coffee. The ciggie on the way to work. The ciggie when I was bored and wanted to waste 5 minutes.

So I put myself in a situation where all my habits and routines were not applicable by going on holidays for a week or so. Kept myself busy doing new things in a strange place that just didn't have the same triggers to start the cravings. I realise not everyone has this opportunity.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I keep hearing that Putin has a black belt in judo. How legit is that?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just what I wanted to hear. The PM of Australia has said he is going to shirtfront Putin, and I have a hankering to see Abbott smacked down.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

So I moved cities just over a year ago and didn't start up karate again because of reasons. Finally got around to it because my partner was invited down by one of her work friends. Went in expecting to be supremely out of shape and rusty.

Turns out it was a bjj class instead, which I was more than happy with, and I had a blast. I am definitely out of shape but I will be heading back. Break falls aren't as much fun as throws, arm locks hurt and its amusing as hell to be thrown around by a 150cm lady who apologises each time she makes you tap.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I started doing karate when I was in pretty good shape, and still felt like a dumbass for a fair while. Learning a whole new set of ways to move your muscles is always going to make you feel weird.

Nierbo posted:

Just moved to saskatoon from Australia. Any one know any good places to grapple? Maybe do some kickboxing classes at the same place too?

Oh, you are in Australia now? You must know Pete then. He lives down the road.

(Australia is a pretty big place duder, maybe try narrowing down your range to a city)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Apologies, I misread the post.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

I have never ever understood kata, no matter what martial art. Why is it a thing?

My old karate teacher said that each kata was a different style of fighting and that I could understand it after drilling and training enough.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A flying piece of posted:

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've inserted some HEMA stuff into this thread. Have a cool video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Oq5cTGD84

The ratio of slo-mo sparring/crowd shots to actual speed fights was allll out of whack. Needs more proper fights and less wank.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Hema alway sounds real dumb but when you see it, it really does look pretty badass.

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

osietra posted:

It's fine. kimbo305. There's only one black guy as well, so every cloud etc.

What the gently caress

• Locked thread