Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

AppleCobbler posted:

Your phone is broken, send it back.

What does the scale mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I noticed in Lihue (on Kauai in Hawaii) that my phone was jumping between 3G and 4G the other day. I called a buddy of mine and he said they are testing the towers. Can't wait, I thought Ocean Kansas would never get it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm having a bit of an issue. My bill is coming up on the 28th and I currently have a $1,200 charge because they still haven't processed my returned phone after a warranty replacement that I sent in 3 weeks ago.

I've been calling every single day asking if they've received it and the CSR usually can't even pull up tracking. I was informed when I was shipping the phone back that I could print out a smartpost label from the website and bring the package to USPS instead of Fedex, since the nearest Fedex place is an hour away from where I live.

Is it normal for them to not have tracking whatsoever on smartpost shipments? What is the turn around time on them checking out warranties? This is really frustrating, I have 3 other family members on my family plan and I can't really afford myself to have my phone shut off. If I had known it was going to turn into a nightmare like this I would've just dealt with the screen problem on my Gnex instead of trying to have it fixed.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have a question about dealer lines for indirect dealers. I'm being given the option to move my number over to the dealer discount if I'm at least 6 months under contract. I meet that, but I still have unlimited. I emailed my rep about this and she's a little slow to get back, if I bring my account over to the dealer program will I get to keep my unlimited and be assessed discounts like they used to be or do I have to go onto the share plans?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have a question about dealer lines for indirect dealers. I'm being given the option to move my number over to the dealer discount if I'm at least 6 months under contract. I meet that, but I still have unlimited. I emailed my rep about this and she's a little slow to get back, if I bring my account over to the dealer program will I get to keep my unlimited and be assessed discounts like they used to be or do I have to go onto the share plans?

Update on this: Apparently I can keep my unlimited and get the dealer discount if I don't get a new phone. Which is good, because I'm currently on a family plan that has an upgrade not on my line :getin:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Don't use that other upgrade on your line. You'll lose unlimited. Any new phone purchases pretty much have to be a full-price, no-contract purchase.

Yeah, I was going to upgrade the other line and move the phone over. It's keeping your unlimited 101.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Well, here's something you guys might be interested in. Don't abuse Costco's return policy to exchange your Verizon phone every 80 days to get "upgrades." If someone catches you doing it, they'll get loss prevention involved and if you've been doing it for 2 years straight you'll owe the company something like $9000 or go to jail.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

JayKay posted:

Haha, do you have a link to this anywhere? This sounds like it could be a fun read.

Isn't in the news. I'm the one that discovered it was going on and just forwarded it to LP yesterday and they told me that's what's going to happen.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I'm pretty sure he had an accomplice at the store he was doing most of the exchanges at. The mistake he made is that he went to a store he didn't usually use. He was able to do the exchange because the receipt looked legit, but when the rep went to make the adjustment in our sales system (after he left) the rep discovered there was no entry for the last exchange. We went into his card history and discovered how often he'd been exchanging.

Before the switch to 4G phones, this also would have been impossible for him to pull off. Now that you can just swap the sim card, a lot of people just straight up don't bother logging into Verizon and changing the IMEI, which would've tipped them off if they did.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 4, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

td4guy posted:

Step 3 will kill your sister's unlimited. You may never use her line's upgrade again if you want to keep unlimited. I assume your line isn't eligible for an upgrade yet? What about your mom's line? Use your mom's upgrade instead?

That's not true. If he uses her upgrade on another line through the alternate upgrade process she won't lose her unlimited.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

All you have to do is just go "I want to upgrade 111-111-1111 with the upgrade from 222-222-2222." and then later on you switch the subsidized phone you got from that onto the 222-222-2222 line to keep its unlimited and put whatever phone you want on 111-111-1111.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

To add to that. You cannot do anything contract related with an unlimited data line and keep unlimited.

All you can do with an unlimited data line is add/remove tethering, change voice plan/sms plan.

And of course buy a smartphone full price or a used smartphone.

I'm at work and just did it fine with two customer accounts. You're wrong.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You did what exactly?

Processed an alternate upgrade (which extends the contract) and kept the unlimited on the line the upgrade came from. Extending the contract doesn't matter.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Wow. That's insane. I've never had anyone be a dick about keeping their unlimited and it's gotten me a ridiculous amount of referral business.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Dobermaniac posted:

Has Verizon said that they'd be limiting bandwidth to people who still had unlimited plans? I still have a iPhone 4S and my 3g is just terrible even when I have "full bars". I live in a area where there is good coverage, but the speeds are just bad. I just ran a speedtest and Dl was .48Mbps and upload was .21Mbps. Although I have unlimited, I never use over about 1gb. My wife is the same, slow speeds doesn't use over about a gig each month. My brother on the other hand uses 8 to 10 and he's on our family share albeit on his own "unlimited" number. Could they be capping us just because of his usage or is it just a congested area? The city I live in is Shreveport, LA so it's not the technology hotspot of the South, but we have 4g like most other cities and 3g has been here forever.

The way it was explained to me by my rep was that 3G is throttled if a tower is overloaded while 4G LTE is never throttled for unlimited users.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I personally get my phones through Costco but I also buy the Squaretrade with it and if you get your phone from them the plan is only $100 for 2 years with $25 deductible vs. $130 with a $100 deductible on the website. If you use Verizon insurance or brave not having any kind of coverage though, Best Buy's price matching deal is pretty good. As far as I'm aware Costco and Best Buy don't have the same ETF deal that Amazon does. You have to kind of look around at all the benefits.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I would remove it for you without any "red flags" as long as you're paying the early termination fee, personally. If you're trying to remove it and trying to tantrum out of the fee you can :frogout:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Corporate stores do everything they can to get you to leave if you aren't buying anything from them. Just do it over the phone.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Is there a thread I can complain about Verizon customers?

Customer comes in with 3 grandfathered Alltel lines. I ask them what had to be a dozen times which line I'm upgrading. It's line 1, it's line 1 they say repeatedly to me. I do the upgrade and they tell me as I'm explaining the contract that it was the other line they wanted to upgrade. I asked them which line it was so many times to make sure I didn't accidentally take a phone off of because they can't be put back on the account and even explained that. Their daughter apparently uses all the upgrades to upgrade her line all the time so now they have a completely useless line and I'm on the hook for figuring out a solution that isn't "buy a phone at full price" even though that's the only one myself and anyone else can come up with.

I hate literally everyone on Verizon who doesn't have a current account or a slightly older one with unlimited. Hur, I'm saving so much money by being on my terrible 900 minute account with no text messaging that I pay $28 in overages on every month.

:negative:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

"I refuse to sign a contract"

.....Proceeds to spend 5 times as on a full retail device, keeps service for 5 years.

"I won't upgrade if I can't keep unlimited"

.....Uses 200MB a month average.

The ones that are really getting on my nerves are the dumbphone people.

"Why don't any of these do anything more than my old LG EnV2" They do...it's called a smartphone you cheap-skate.

"This is all you have" Yes. Thats all thats being made anymore. You can't go to a Ford dealer and ask them to sell you a brand new 1956 Thunderbird can you?

We also have been getting a flood of people with ANCIENT phones looking for batteries and getting loud and obnoxious because we don't have them. "No Sir, I really don't stock a battery for a Motorola V65S, it's been out of production for nearly 7 years and wasn't terribly common even back then"

I read all this and started hyperventilating IRL. I barely get paid for basic phone upgrades and my store is apparently the only one with them for miles but we only have Brightsides so it leads to a lot of hour and a half long resistive touchscreen instruction sessions with octogenarians who just needed a flip phone.

The only thing I like less is when someone with Solavei even looks at me and opens their mouth. I don't care.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As far as I'm aware you could always have more than one on there.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Well, in eROES it was classified as a share plan and I was repeatedly able to activate it as one without charging anyone extra so :iiam:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Verizon-getting-a-new-4G-LTE-Router-expected-next-week_id46032

quote:

Pricing is $20/month for customers with a Verizon Share Everything plan.

As a Verizon salesperson:

:negative:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's not that. I just know we're going to be told to sell it as a replacement for home internet like we are with the mobile broadband devices. Which is a huge problem, because it isn't very good for that and makes our lives harder.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Even the Galaxy S3 is $30 at Costco right now. Don't get the lovely free phones, please.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I am looking to get a new phone in a month or two. I really like the Galaxy S 4. I also like that I can get it for $160 or so from Costco. But I saw that some new Droids just came out. I know that newer doesn't always mean better, but I like that the new Droids come with grippy backing, so a case isn't necessarily needed. I'm not looking to spend more than $200. Would I be better off getting the S 4?

You'd probably be better off with the S4 unless you're going with the Maxx, but that's probably going to be $300 and also always out of stock on Costco's home delivery system.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

As long as you don't use the upgrade to activate a new phone on line 1 there are no oops moments. Once the upgrade is done then you can put whatever phones wherever you like.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I just did my tags and we have the One on Verizon for $150 with accessories at Costco for anyone interested.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Still giving out those $.25 cellophane bagged chinese car chargers/battery cookers?

Yep! Also, the fantastic screen protectors you have to trim down yourself, too.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I work for Wireless Advocates, which is Costco's reseller. We don't have a secondary contract for our sales and our prices end up being much lower than the Verizon store. I probably would not get a phone from a place that has a restrictive secondary contract like Amazon's, where you can't move your phone between lines for the first 180 days, I believe.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yes, you do need a membership to buy a phone from Costco. I believe Sam's Club's wireless seller doesn't require a second contract either, so you might try them too. They occasionally edge my prices out but I'm usually able to credit everything but Verizon's upgrade fee.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just got a heads up: Costco is gonna have the Moto X on launch for $199.99, doesn't look like we're undercutting the Verizon store. For Motorola devices, Costco does (most of the time) offer a mail in rebate for a dock/external battery of some kind. I think I might get mine from Costco purely because of the discount for Squaretrade.

Oddly enough, I haven't heard anything about us carrying the rest of the Motorola Droids. Wonder when that's gonna happen.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Does the device have to stay on the line or do you just have to keep a minimum level of service on the line?

Amazon posted:

Instant Discount Policy
When you purchase your device with service from Amazon.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount based on a commission paid to Amazon by your wireless service carrier. The commission depends upon your continued service, and if you do not maintain your service for 181 days from the service activation date, Amazon must return the commission to the carrier. Thus, this discount has been provided to you in good faith based on your agreement to (a) activate a new or extend an existing line of service for the device(s) with the carrier for two years, (b) maintain this line of service in good standing, and (c) not alter the line of service type other than adding an additional line of service to an individual account for at least 181 consecutive days.

The following are some scenarios where we may determine that you have not maintained your service and have not met the requirements listed above:

If your device with the carrier is not activated per Amazon's activation instructions within 14 days
If your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 days and you do not return the device(s) to Amazon
If a new individual or new family account is merged with or replaces a pre-existing account
If you transfer this equipment to another carrier's service or to another line in your family account and deactivate the line that Amazon established for your device
By accepting this Instant Discount Policy, you agree to repay $400 per smart phone or tablet and $200 per other device if you do not maintain your carrier service for 181 consecutive days from the service activation date. You also authorize us to collect that amount using any credit card we have on record for you. Amazon can periodically check your account status with the carrier to confirm your line of service is active and in good standing and thereby confirm you are in compliance with this policy.

The Instant Discount Policy will not be applied if you cancel your order and return the device(s) within our 30-day return period. You must return your device(s) to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period in order to avoid the carrier's Early Termination Fees (ETF). If your purchase was an upgrade, your upgrade eligibility will not be reset unless you return your device to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period.

It makes it seem to me like both are the case, but maybe someone who has experience with this can clear it up?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's 2010, my Android only comes with 512MB of internal memory! I need that space!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If I have unlimited phone data can I pop my sim out of my phone and put it in a mobile broadband/jetpack device and it'll still be functional?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Where does this "usually" come from? I've never heard of Verizon allowing early upgrades except in the most extreme cases, and the upgrade cycle is every 24 months now.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

JP Money posted:

For a while Verizon let you upgrade at 20 months IIRC.

Yeah, this was changed during the summer. If your upgrade date was after September, you got bumped to the end of your contract.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I'm going to help my sister port her two numbers away from Verizon to T-Mobile. I have a few questions on how to do it. For the process, the only information we'll need for Verizon is the account number and the billing pin/password, right? If she doesn't know what the PIN is, can she change it online? Also, is it possible to start the port process on a Saturday? How long does it typically take to go through? Thanks.

You will need the billing password. You can change it by dialing 611 from the phone and have her change it. When porting from Verizon to Tmo I've never had it take longer than a few minutes unless the entered password is incorrect any day of the week. It is very quick.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I upgraded from my gnex to an HTC One today and the difference is night and day. I didn't realize so many places had 4G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My indirect rep just texted me to let me know that if I get any individual unlimited upgrades on Verizon that I can transition them to the 6GB plan for the same price instead of 2GB during an upgrade . Don't know how long it's good for, I'll post more details when I get to work.

• Locked thread