Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Dracon Wolf posted:

Actually...am I reading this right? Apple will replace your water damaged iphone for $199 if you go into a genius bar? If so I have absolutely no problem at all doing that. Is this true? Does anyone know about this?

Apple is known for being very generous with their replacement policy. Take it up there and see what they can do, you might even get one for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just had a Thunderbolt replaced before I sold it. You just put the phone in the padded envelope which should already have a label on it. You don't have to send back the microSD card, sim card, charger, or any other accessories. Just drop the envelope in your mailbox and you're good to go.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not sure that rooting requires a wipe on the Thunderbolt (although it might). If you can root before you wipe, I'd install Titanium Backup from the Market and backup all your app data if you care about stuff like scores in games or apps with a million options. Other than that, happy rooting!

The Thunderbolt root is a bit more complicated than other phones I've rooted and it requires flashing two separate RUU files which both wipe the phone completely.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
To anyone with a VZW Business account:

Is adding an administrator to an account online through My Verizon the same thing as calling in to customer service and adding an authorized user? Trying to add myself to my parents' business account so that I can switch phones in the store, etc. without having to bring them with me or having to call them on the spot.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Is Verizon's return policy the same for phones bought at full price/without a contract? I might sell my iPhone 4S which I bought with a 2 year contract and buy a Rezound or Razr to hold me over until the Nexus comes out.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kstatix posted:

What's everyone using to backup/restore?

I went from Droid X -> Bionic and just manually downloaded all my apps again, and setup my bookmarks manually. That's kind of a loving pain and now that I'm switching to a Razr Maxx, I want to make it easier.

Any suggestions?

If you have root/don't mind rooting then Titanium Backup will do both of those with no problem and it will also keep your app data as well. Otherwise, try MyBackupPro.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

tofes posted:

I thought everything with a bad ESN was lost/stolen?

A lot of them are, but there are non-stolen ones like if someone stops paying their bill.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
My iPhone 5 with its whopping 1440mAh battery loses about 2% between 12AM - 7 AM so 14% isn't too bad.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

JayKay posted:

Anyone having any luck getting an iPhone 5 from a corporate store or are they still in the "preorder/no stock" mode?

I was in my local VZW corporate store on Saturday. The guy there got 2 phone calls while he was helping me and both people were looking for 16GB models. He told the customers they had plenty of 32/64 models but that the 16GB models were on backorder.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

The Gadfly posted:

I got my new phone! I played around with the phone a bit and it's so smooth. I still haven't activated it on the Verizon network though - I noticed that the guy who sold me the phone has a SIM card in there but he never activated it. Does anyone know if this means that I can activate it myself without going to Verizon and without losing unlimited data? Or do I have to go get a new SIM card from Verizon?

Edit: Nevermind, I've never had a SIM card before (my old phone doesn't have one) so I had no idea how they worked. But reading into it more, looks like it would just result in an error since his SIM card doesn't have my account info on it. Well I guess I'll be going to a Verizon store tomorrow.

I would try to activate it. If he really never used it on his line then the SIM card should be clear to use.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Gonkish posted:

Alright, my upgrade is next month and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S3. I have to ask, though, if it's possible to buy the 16GB and then swap in a 32GB micro SD (or, at least, I think that's what my Thunderbolt uses). Is it even possible to open the case?

Yes, the back is removable and it gives you access to the battery, SIM card and SD card.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Super Dude posted:

I just did it from my X2 to my S3, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you.

If I root my S3 tonight, will I still get the JB update tomorrow? Is it going to un-root it if I accept the update?

If you root tonight then you can install the JB leak that's been out for awhile now.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Cozmosis posted:

So, VZW Nexus user looking for serious battery life increase. Upgrade available 2/28 but I have unlimited.

Ebay/CL a Maxx HD for ~450 or wait? If I wait, I probably will can unlimited data as I only use 2-3GB a month. Any ideas of what might be on the horizon in 2 months?

e: phone is sold.

comper fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2012

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Anyone else picking up the One on Thursday? Yeah, it's 5 months late to Verizon but I mean it's the same as picking up an S4/Droid/Moto X in terms of internal hardware and the design is still amazing.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

themachine posted:

I'm very undecided on what phone to go with right now, and could use opinions. Right now I am still on a Droid Bionic and am due for an upgrade. The phones I am considering are the new Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra, or as a sort of oddball, the HTC One. I've been a big droid fan since the first one, and have liked my bionic a lot, so I'm tempted to stick with them. I love the concept of the battery in the Maxx, and am not really clear on what the difference between it and the Ultra is, except the battery. Also, the one has caught my eye, due to all the good reviews I've read about it, it's construction, etc. My main worry with it is that I have never had a single HTC product before, so I am totally unfamiliar with how they tend to change the stock Android interface around, and battery life of the phone, at least compared to the two Droids I'm looking at.

Droid MAXX and ultra are the same phone. For $100 more on the MAXX you get a much bigger battery and 32gb instead of 16gb. I'm going to get the One when it launches on Thursday and I'll post impressions of it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any reason at all why anyone should consider the Moto X on Verizon over the Ultra or the Maxx, assuming they'll be paying full fare for the device?

The AT&T full retail price for the X is $579 so I assume Verizon's will come in near there. If the Verizon X is $579, it seems like $20 more for the Ultra is kind of a no-brainer.

I do wonder if there will be developer versions of the Droid lineup or if they'll reserve that just for the X.

If anything I think it's the other way around. The Ultra has the ugly (my opinion) plastic design and offers nothing that the Moto X doesn't other than a bigger screen but same resolution and the "sweet" Droid branding. Verizon should have just had Droid Mini (4.3" $99), Moto X (4.7" $199), and Droid Maxx (5" $299).

If you meant $20 for the maxx (I haven't looked at the prices to confirm) then that's more understandable but to be honest I like the design and size of the Moto X the most of the 4 Moto phones, but the battery life of the maxx is pretty drat awesome and I can totally see why people would pick it over the X. Can't say the same for getting the ultra over an X.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

Is the Maxx in stores yet? I might upgrade from my RAZR HD.

Yeah they hit stores on the 20th so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to try out in store.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

kitten smoothie posted:

So the new Droid phones were supposed to come with 6 months' free Play Music All Access. I signed in on my account and it didn't say anything, and the subscription info screen in the app still shows my next bill date as being next month. Is there some way you're supposed to claim this, or is it only a new subscriber deal?

I ended up taking the One back and grabbing the Maxx. I can't be more happy with it. I am a huge screen snob, and although there is definitely a difference between the Maxx and the One displays (One has the best screen I've seen on a mobile device bar none), the Maxx's is more than adequate in my opinion. Way better than any other 720p phone screen I've seen to date. The battery life is amazing, the active notifications are way better than the old standard of blinking LEDs, the hands-free voice interaction works very well, moto assist while driving helps me keep my eyes on the road and the software is as close to stock android as you can get without it being, well, actually stock like on the nexus or GPE devices. The camera does leave something to be desired though, that's for sure. Still, it should be adequate for the relatively few photos I take for instagram/facebook. Snapchat / BS pics I send via text really don't need to be anything special either. Highly, highly recommend this phone and that's coming from a guy who has had the iP5, GS4 and HTC One as his three most recent phones.

Anyway, back to your question, I read somewhere that you'll get a text message giving you a link to redeem the 6 months access for free. Supposedly if you are already an all access member you cannot use the promotion, though. I'll post here if I get the text in the next couple of days.

e: source http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/308462-free-google-play-music-droid-maxx.html

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, it's just not something I can't get worked up over and doesn't even rank in my purchasing decisions for a phone when you can resolve it with a single button press and never ever ever have to deal with any fallout or consequences of it being there.

I hope though that you are just as incensed about Google including Play Books, Play Magazines, and Google Music on their devices by default.

BUT THINK OF THE INNOCENT PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW HOW TO DISABLE THEM!

Seriously not a big deal and any person that I know with an android phone has never once complained about any of these apps, if anything they are used to it by now and don't think twice about them. It's people like us that notice them / gets annoyed by them but also know how to easily disable them either through settings or by freezing them in TB. The fact that Verizon has the ongoing WiFi notification is way worse than any bloatware imo.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

And that's only on HTC and Samsung devices. Motorola devices don't do it.

The Maxx's isn't persistent but it still pops up a lot.

And to the other guy, I can see where you're coming from, but it's still bad. You should set up the WiFi where they will be using it so that it's automatic anyway, but it may confuse them as they are traveling around and they have something that says "CONNECT TO WIFI" and lists a bunch of random networks. Idk, it's impossible to please everyone.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

King Burgundy posted:

So how long does it typically take for a phone's non contract price to drop from something ridiculous like 650 to something more palatable like 350?

I'm thinking the Droid Maxx would be a great new phone, but I'd like to wait until the price is not ridiculous and I'm not giving up my unlimited until they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Never. Seriously. You can find them secondhand for cheaper as time goes on, though.

E: Also, I picked up the G2 yesterday. I actually really, really like this phone and I've had them all on Verizon haha. Battery is at 82% and I was off the charger at 8AM (it's now 4:20PM here), finally iPhone-like battery life on Android (along with the Maxx which was admittedly even better than this phone). With the HTC One I'd already be putting it on for it's midday charge. The UI really isn't that bad, it's just a touchwiz lookalike but minus the lag/stutters that I experienced on the S4. I've disabled all the bloatware and cleaned up the notification area so it's just the toggles. The camera has been great in the test shots I've taken. The phone flies through everyday tasks and like I said, no noticeable lag yet and I'm a big stickler when it comes to noticing it. The back buttons took all of about a few hours to get used to, and the knock-on feature is awesome and now I'm going to wish every phone had it. Overall I'd highly recommend it so far but I'll post back if I have any glaring issues.

comper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 13, 2013

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bam thwok posted:

Geez everyone, way to make me feel bad about just getting a new phone. Whatever. The Maxx is a loving miracle compared to what happened to my Gnex. If I have to wait an extra 18 months before getting another cheap upgrade, I think I'l be okay.

The Maxx is an awesome phone, and will surely last you at least 18 months. Don't feel bad at all. The camera update for it will make it even better soon.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am astounded at how ridiculously backordered the 6+ is but how many Gold regular ones I can still D-Fill.

Yeah just went on to pre-order mine and the 16/64GB Grey/Silver 6's are all backordered, but the 16-128GB Gold are all delivered by launch day. Surprised, but I'm glad I get one launch day! I'm curious to see if the backorders are due to big demand or just smaller supply - would be surprised if THAT many people wanted to jump from a 3.5-4" to a 5.5" phone.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

When I went in and asked about it they said it would be in the range of $100-200. I was hoping to make use of early edge to get a Turbo but unfortunately my HTC One is a nearly non-function piece of poo poo, and it has a small dent in the side of it so it doesn't count as 'working' for their purposes.

I basically have no choice but to replace the phone at this point, maybe I should just pick up a new 2013 Moto X off ebay or something?

Might be a weird question but my #1 biggest problem with the HTC One has been that it has a built in noise cancellation on phone calls, and it's completely impossible to hear people in some meetings because it works extremely poorly and just constantly noise cancels people's voices. Oh, and of course there's no setting to turn it on or off at all.

Edit: Or I'm an idiot and the Moto X doesn't work on Verizon anyway. Anyone got any suggestions for a nice phone for a not too high price to replace my HTC One with?

Yeah it does. Go here: http://swappa.com/buy/moto-x-verizon/us

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
All Verizon LTE phones do come unlocked.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Any mention of how this may affect a business plan? We have an upgrade or two and I'm wondering if I should burn them before they switch over to these plans.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

It sucks when there is a billing mistake that's not worth fighting over because I lose regardless.

I made changes to my wireless account at the beginning last month, adding a line (for work) and changing plans to the 8gb shared data plan. My company covers up to $110 /month in cell charges, so two lines with that dataplan should be just under that a month. I also get a plan discount through work. The guy at the store told me that my company plan discount also waived activation fees. Great!

Bill finally cycled today, and there's a $20 activation fee on the line. Since they refunded the previous month and did partial charges and whatnot with the plan changed, the whole bill is $169 after all taxes and fees so I'm on the hook this month for $59 rather than $39. I could call in and argue that I was told that the activation fee was waived, but the best they will do under that circumstance is issue a $20 bill credit next month. By that point though, the bill is stabilized at the new plan rate which is under the $110 /month threshold which is fully comped by my company. So, me getting a billing credit next month doesn't help me in the least since I'm not paying for any part of the bill at that point.

I'd do it just so they don't get an extra $20 from anyone. Imagine how many people are also willingly paying these seemingly non-consequential fees, definitely helps line Verizon's pockets.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Traxis posted:

I need a new SIM card to fit my Pixel. Do I need to go to a corporate Verizon store or will any store do it?

Third party retailer might charge you for it but they can still do it if you don't mind the fee.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I made this post on another forum, but isn't there a Verizon employee who frequents this thread? Please just verify I got the worst string of Verizon employees ever because I've never had this type of terrible service from them in the 15 years we've been doing business. Wall of text.

I preordered the S8 yesterday and paid the $14.99 for priority overnight shipping by 10:30AM. I got the shipping notification today - it was sent via FedEx 2 day and it shows a deliver by 4-21-17 by 4:30PM. Okay, I won't get it early for sure, I guess that's fine I'm not going to make a fuss about that, but then why did I pay Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight 10:30AM shipping if they only paid for FedEx 2 day shipping? Seems simple, right?

Wrong.

Online chat, the person just keeps telling me, "We don't decide when the release date is unfortunately. If you want you can cancel your order and choose 2 day shipping, but then it won't ship until 4-21-17 and then you won't get it until next week. The reason you paid for priority overnight shipping is so that you would get it on release date, everything else won't be shipped until the 21st (which is 100% wrong)". I tried to clarify the situation a couple times before I just gave up and told him I'd just call in instead.

First guy I talk to when I call in tries to say, "Well there's still a chance it will be there on 4-21-17" to which I respond with, "Oh, it says it WILL be here on the 21st. I'm not worried about that. It's that I paid you $14.99 to ship it using priority overnight by 10:30AM and you guys are only paying for FedEx 2 day AND it's coming by 4:30PM, not 10:30AM". He responds, "Well there's still a chance it could get there before 10:30AM and until that possibility is gone, we can't refund you anything". Are you KIDDING me? The fact that the original point is so far over his head was killing me - I don't care if it does get here by 10:30AM by random chance (and it won't, FedEx usually comes later afternoon to my office unless we choose priority overnight shipping), they still did NOT pay for the service that I paid for! Anyway, he then says, "Even if we do refund you, the charge hasn't been posted to your account yet so we can't make any credits until that happens". Wow. I keep cool and tell him alright I guess we'll just call back (I had given up because this was going nowhere) thanked him and hung up.

I was about to just say screw it but just the principle of the situation was really irking me - it's only $15, but drat if I give them $15 for absolutely nothing - and it's not like we don't all pay them enough to begin with. I figured I'd try one more time. I called and the guy answers and I tell him immediately that I don't want to be rude but that I want to talk to a supervisor because the past two people I've gotten nowhere with. He then said, "well just let me know the situation and I'll see if I can help". I explained it to him and finally he said, "Okay so you just want that $14.99 credited to the account?" and of course I said, "YES, that is all, thank you". Well all is good now, but he still had to throw in a comment that was, "I don't see how you got a shipping email already, those phones (S8s) don't get shipped out until the 21st, but I set the credit anyway".

Ugh, now accuse me of making something up but just act like you're doing me a favor? Cool. If you guys would look at your own system you would see my sales email and the shipping email that I received (and YOU sent) today along with the tracking information that shows you sent it 2 day instead of priority overnight which is why I'm here to begin with. Also, do these guys all not know how their own preorder system works? The phone doesn't ship until release date usually? I think not, I even told them I understand that there is a release date but they still used the wrong shipping method - I've had iPhones sit at FedEx for 2-3 days then delivered on release date - but by 10:30AM priority overnight. Give me a break. Sorry this got me way more worked up than it should - I just can't stand terrible customer service and I was very taken aback by all of it because like I said, Verizon has usually always been great to us.

tl;dr I paid Verizon $14.99 for priority overnight shipping to deliver by 10:30AM, but they shipped it via FedEx 2 day by 4:30PM, took three calls before I finally got the shipping charge credited to the account but still got attitude even when it was finally resolved because these three employees don't understand their own internal procedures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sir, this is a McDonalds drive through.....

On a serious note, From my experience, when doing preorders the system will let you pay for faster shipping (my system is pretty identical now and does) but as you mentioned, it just doesn't make sense since the phone won't ship until a few days before Friday the 21 anyway. So it's kind of dumb that they keep the option there, but whatever.

As for the refund, it's not about what Verizon "paid" someone or whatever on the back end, it's about what's promised (my opinion anyway). If you ordered a device and paid extra for 10am arrival, and it arrives at 10am, it doesn't matter if Verizon accidentally hosed up and they just got lucky. You got the phone at the time requested. If for whatever the reason it doesn't show up on the time/day promised, then yes absolutely waived shipping. So personally, I don't think waiting until the device is received for a credit is unreasonable. But I guess it can go both ways.

Personally, while I think you fit in the "just give the guy the $15 so the issue goes away" category, I'm not saying they could have handled it better, but other than the online chat person being an idiot, I'm not really seeing anyone else doing anything wrong. They just told you either "no because __" or "oh I wouldn't expect it to ship yet," and unfortunately most of the time when you tell someone no, you just turn into the bad guy.

Maybe I'm wrong on this opinion, but I always assume lesser service from any companies online chat, so it's something I actively avoid.

Anyway, anyone who preordered a S8, a lot of them have shipped out already, I have a customer who got theirs yesterday (Wednesday) and one got theirs today (Thursday) already, so they're out there already.

Put it this way, you want an item from a company and they offer to guarantee 10:30AM delivery by using their shipper's most expensive service and you agree to pay for that service and guarantee. Maybe you are going out of town, or have something going on that afternoon so you'd like to for sure get that item in the morning. The company then sends it out using a much cheaper shipping option which just says it will be there by 4:30PM - yeah, it might get there earlier, but it probably won't and you'd know this based off of how that shipping company delivers to your work on any other day. That's solely on the seller's company for a) not using the more expensive shipping option in the first place which was paid for by you (and if relating to my case, has never been an issue with them using the priority overnight method before even on a pre-release product because then you still get that item before 10:30AM guaranteed on the actual release date), b) if it by chance showed up by 10:30AM, then they refuse a refund even though it was random luck it got there on time, or c) the item doesn't show up in time, you now can't receive it until Monday, and then they refund the $14.99 and you just have to accept that they did not do the right thing to begin with which caused this whole situation to occur and they just want you to overlook that they messed up the order from the beginning.

It's fine, it is just a phone and I do not NEED it by that time - I simply picked the option in hopes to get it before release as I'd seen many others do. So when it comes after 10:30AM tomorrow that's totally fine, but don't try to charge me for a service that you did NOT provide to begin with. This is on a business account, so maybe the shipping options show up differently on my end.

• Locked thread