Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Choco1980 posted:

So...does the dognapping lead to anything? I've never heard of it.

I demand all future ports of VII make the dognapping scene flag giving an Interceptor-like counter in battle. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Tidus, is actually a really well developed character.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that a. none of the voice actors actually say "Tidus" ("Tee-dus"?) because you can rename him, and b. all people seem to remember is crap like the laughing scene and "LET'S BLITZ!" and whatnot. I think FFX HD will hopefully rewrite a lot of the complaints people have about him. My main one right now is his VA used two different deliveries, one for voice-overs that's quite good, and one for dialog which is often pretty goofy. "DUH UH I GOT TOO CLOSE TO SIN!" gets really old after a while. But as far as a character arc goes, his is one of the best in a FF.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

Vaan is basically the Cambot of FFXII.

:colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Grinding items is still a form of grinding. :colbert: Not a very fun one, either, if you're bad at the arbitrary minigame that you need to use to grind.

simplefish posted:

I hated Hot and Cold too

I'm reminded of a quote from an old commercial for Comcast with those turtles, the Slowskys. "Why don't you like fun?"

Chocobo Hot & Cold is awesome and one of the best mini-games in FF, period. :colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Elentor posted:

I'm gonna do a fanart of one of FFVII's backgrounds for the LP ending. I want you guys to choose which.

My vote is:

Unmistakably FFVII without being overdone. I've always loved Cosmo Canyon. Just looking at it, I can hear the soundtrack.

My runner-up is:

Just because I think you could do a very cool rendition of this background.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I already voted so DON'T COUNT THESE but obviously if you do Chocobo Racing the right intended way then these two screens stick with you:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Silegna posted:

though the whole thing with the TV puts a hole in the Squall's Dead theory.

Not necessarily. I remember another thing that was supposed to disprove it, maybe it was how NORG is mentioned in the Garden computer on disc 1? Except it doesn't mention NORG being a huge yellow ballsack with giant hands? So maybe that TV transmission screen manifested in a space sorceress after disc 1? I dunno, it's been a long time since I've played/cared about VIII.

And I never really believed or understood R=U but I do NOT want to go down that rabbit hole in this thread.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

VIII's plot is basically a jumble of individual stories that, by themselves, would more than be sufficent for a narrative.
All together though; it's just a massive cluster-gently caress, as it jumps from "floating mercenary garden" to "time-travel witch" to "bland overbearing love story" and "rebels overthrowing future-tech empire" and back again.

There's no real feel of a natural progression of things.

Agreed. As a teenager I hated replaying VIII because I thought it didn't flow very well. But I loved the ending.

On the flip side, I really liked VII's progression but was confused by some of the plot points and the ending, so I almost never finished endgame/postgame stuff.

Now that I'm older and understand both games a bit better, I realize VII is the superior game in pretty much every way.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Booties posted:

A goon in the work crew thread went to a chrono cross themed wedding this past weekend.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581054&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2056#post432585348

:stonklol:

Booties posted:

A N I M E G R A N D M O M

Well I guess I have my next forums username now.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FINAL FANTASY (the song) loving owns. As a kid I loved it because it kicks off the two games I played the most, FFI when you cross the bridge for the first time, and FFIV when Cecil and Kain leave Baron together. Also every time I play FFXII I let it run through the title sequence because I think it's one of the best versions of FINAL FANTASY.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

the escape goat posted:

Cid is still the best character no matter how the FFVII story is told. love it.

quote:

CLOUD: zack…… told me…….. to…….. kill…………… sephiroth……………and i did
CID: (um he obviously didn’t)
BARRET: (sshhh)

:allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

FF7 Blazed just caught up with the thread with this beauty.

quote:

BUGENHAGEN: aeris prayed for holy
AERIS: yeah the white materia was glowing pale green
BUGENHAGEN: but someone is blocking it
CLOUD: not me

But yeah Blazed is about to go past the LP so don't read it if you don't want very hazy spoilers.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

Don't even tell me that wasn't intentional.

It was ;)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

*doesn't like people posting a twitter account about the game this LP is about*

*makes a post that belongs in the megathread*

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Elentor posted:

Not working for KV anymore. I want to announce (not launch) my own RPG by January, something I've been working solo for the past year. Well, mostly solo, had a friend do some of the soundtrack. It's what's been taking most of my time this year.

:swoon:

I don't think anyone will mind a little delay in updates if you're making something original. Looking forward to it!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

getting back on track, Proud Clod is the greatest name ever

Bregor
May 31, 2013

George posted:

@lotr_blazed isn't as good.

LOTR Blazed is basically just LOTR so yeah it's not as good.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of :cry: sing thee to thy rest.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Frogisis posted:

oh god i fanarted what's happening to meeeeeeeeee :gonk:

:stonk:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kanfy posted:

If I didn't know the context, I'd probably think that depicted something horribly racist with the yellow-green -skinned Asian-looking man creeping on the white girl.

Yellow-green skin and yellow-green teeth:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Saitorr posted:

Hojo and Sephiroth father/son day.

This needs to happen.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Elentor posted:

Some of the FF8 music is kinda bland, but I find the Balamb Garden theme to be incredibly fitting.

I agree about the blandness, but Fisherman's Horizon (especially the Distant Worlds version) is very nice.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

I hated FF5 my first go-through because I was playing it wrong and because it was the Anthology version with bad load times. My idea of using job classes was "Galuf looks like a Blue Mage kinda guy, Bartz looks like a Red Mage, Lenna is a White Mage, and Faris is a Thief and I won't touch any other job classes ever"

I had a similar experience. I played Anthology and changed classes too frequently, meaning I never got to use good abilities in fun combinations. I quit sometime in the middle of Galuf's World.

Last year I picked it back up on GBA and it is a legit awesome game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

The biggest issue I had with Chrono Cross was the needlessly large cast of characters.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I know a lot of JRPG players like to :spergin: out and get the Perfect Save File©. Every time I tried to start up CC, I read about all the drat characters and couldn't decide which choices to make and just said "gently caress it."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

tld;r: Lavos isn't shown to be manipulating evolution so I don't believe he was.

I agree with you on that front. But it's kinda scary to think that all the evolutionary "leeching" resulted in a giant turkey in a space suit.

Blind Melon posted:

Isn't Lavos responsible for magic in CT? Ayla doesn't have magic because she is pre-Lavos, while Robo does not because Robot. Zeal digging into Lavos was an attempt to tap into the source so to speak.

Essentially yes, it's explained in more detail in CC.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I think that's supposed to be the justification for Lavos making you refight all the game's bosses as his first form.

Huh, that's kind of interesting. Like it's culling material and patterns from the strongest creatures throughout time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

CC really seems to want you to take it super seriously, so every flaw is a lot more glaring.

CC.txt

Also works for FFXIII-2.txt

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I instead asked for more Ogre Battle games named after Queen songs.

waah posted:

My man. I basically begged for anything related to the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre franchise.

I would kickstart the poo poo out of another game in the franchise.

Did the same, Ogre Battle Saga all the way :smith: :hf: :smith:

In the last part I just talked about how SE has all these great IPs like Ogre, Mana, and Chrono that really need attention.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Ashe and/or Balthier were the protagonists.

:agreed:

Vaan is Cambot. :colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

BioMe posted:

Unless Red XIII is voiced by David Hayter.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Late to the end-of-LP party but I just wanted to chime in and say this was an amazing ride, Elentor. May it shine gold and live in the archives forever.

Also cautiously optimistic about the Remake. :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

second-hand smegma posted:

A generation of doofs imitating the comic stylings of Archer.

That's the saddest sentence I've read in a long time. :smith:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

My thoughts: the excellent GBA version will emulate on everything you own.

^^^

I do appreciate SE's efforts to put more things on Steam though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Maurice LaMarche, best known as the voice of The Brain in the best cartoon of all time.
Well, it's my favorite cartoon of all time.

"We know a remote farm near Calm, where Choco Billy lives. Every July, gysahl greens grow there."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Elentor posted:

Just saying that I'm back to working at the epilogue. I'm not gonna make any promises, might come this weekend, might come in 6 months, but I'm back at it right now. Hope the little bonus chapter helped somewhat, and I'm sorry for all the hiatus.

Glad you're feeling well enough to work on it. But first and foremost take care of yourself. This is already one of the best LPs ever and if it goes into the archive as-is then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

It feels like I'm just throwing a bucket of water into the ocean, but just wanted to say what an excellent LP this is and thank you for the amazing job you did with it, Elentor.

To the archive/goldmine!

• Locked thread