Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Conartist posted:

It probably also has to do with FIFA and how they view the Olympics (not a money making venture for them). England also can't play in the Olympics so that might make people upset.

Won't the Great Britain team essentially be the England U23s though? I thought the other Home Nations had decided not to participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The SARS Volta posted:

Duece didn't get credit for this one on the scoresheet but loving hell, buddy

I thought the rule was that if a shot bounced off the woodwork, off the goalkeeper, and into the net, it was credited to the shooter? Like this play from this past MLS season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKQcs1k1_0&t=50

That was originally ruled an own goal on Mondragon, then changed to a goal for Richards. This would seem to be essentially the same situation, correct?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
So to go back to this for just a second

Lamont Cranston posted:

I thought the rule was that if a shot bounced off the woodwork, off the goalkeeper, and into the net, it was credited to the shooter? Like this play from this past MLS season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKQcs1k1_0&t=50

That was originally ruled an own goal on Mondragon, then changed to a goal for Richards. This would seem to be essentially the same situation, correct?

There was a blog post on the MLS site about this, and they linked to the rule I was looking for

"FIFA posted:

Shots that are on target (i.e. goal-bound) and touch a defender or rebound from the goal frame and bounce off a defender or goalkeeper are not considered as own goals.

I know it doesn't really matter, but still, this seems pretty black and white.

Anyways, I'm happy to go back to being starry-eyed about :swoon: Alex Morgan. :swoon:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

foobardog posted:

Along with Hope Solo and Sydney Leroux. Sounders are signing everyone.

I can't help but think that with each of these signings the chances of WPS making a comeback get even slimmer.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Ah, I totally missed that but they do, agh, sweatervests and the colors of child rape, why US Soccer, why

Child rape, perhaps; Nazis? Definitely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erQdTUdeABI

oh and DEMPSEY

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

quote:

“We should be in the business of letting kids be kids. Not forcing them into thinking they’re going to be playing for Arsenal or Manchester United two years from now.”

Yeah somehow I don't think your precious little snowflake is going to have to worry about this.

I don't get the handwringing over this. If someone had come to me in high school and said "listen this kid stuff is nice but we want to put you on track to possibly go pro and represent your country" I can't imagine it would really be that difficult a decision.

Of course, if you'd said that to me in high school, I'd probably have said "You obviously mean someone else, I suck rear end at this game. Where are the orange slices at"

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

tylertfb posted:

If the choice given is: "play HS, have fun and chill with your pals and have a tiny chance of making the pros" vs "move away from your pals, work your rear end off in the academy and have a better, but still very very small chance of making the pros" I think only the most driven kids pick the academy.

I mean, not to be cold or anything, but if you're not driven enough to be sure an academy is for you, you probably have no business being there in the first place.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
So Seattle has signed yet another American Hero, Megan Rapinoe; are they just going for the whole set at this point? (Not that they'll get more than 5 or 6 games out of any of them of course)
edit i guess this was already posted in the mls thread whoops

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 23, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Didn't a few of the women bail at their qualifiers?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
From Ives on Twitter:

quote:

Just been told U.S. U-23 Juan Agudelo is out of the Olympic Qualifying Tournament w/a torn Meniscus. Not clear yet if he will have surgery.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
bam
USA may yet salvage this

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
:suicide:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Shameful.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I figure it's ok, since the US team with an actual shot at a medal qualified a month ago

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
News: US Women are playing PPL Park in not-quite-Philadelphia, PA as part of the Olympic send-off tour

Views: :riker:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

wicka posted:

I actually kind of like it a lot but..authentic, replica, replica 2? What is going on here?

OH poo poo

I CAN GET A RAPINOE SHIRT NOW

Authentic has front and back cutouts, Replica 2 has back cutout, Replica 1 has no cutouts if you want it blank

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 16, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Haydez posted:

From the WPS Facebook page. Not that anyone didn't see it coming, but god loving damnit.

Is there any coincidence that they post this at the same time they announce they've settled with Dan Borislow?

(no)

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
poo poo, I put off buying tickets and now it looks like it's completely sold out. I mean, I guess I shouldn't have waited so long, but who would have figured that?

edit: If anyone knows someone who needs to get rid of tickets I'm all ears

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 23, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Quoting since this ended up at the bottom of the page:

Lamont Cranston posted:

If anyone knows someone who needs to get rid of [USWNT] tickets I'm all ears

\/ :catstare:

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 24, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

CubanMissile posted:

I'm familiar with everyone except for Sauerbrunn and Leroux, how are they?

Leroux scored 5 in one of the Olympic qualifier matches, after coming in as a second half sub.
Also she's already pissed off the entire nation of Canada, so she's got that going for her.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The SARS Volta posted:

Those two.

And it sounds like they're changing the number colors on the home jerseys – may have been violating FIFA rules.

I'm not surprised, I was at the WNT game and I couldn't read the numbers when they were right in front of me, let alone on television. I don't know who thought faint blue on white was a good idea in the first place.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
goddammit

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Nybble posted:

The design and color remain the same.

This is the best bit simply because of how blatant a lie it is

I have no idea what they were thinking with the off-white numbers, they were terrible

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
:siren: DEMPSEY :siren:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
That was up there last night too. The fact that the game is 1am Thursday BST is probably screwing it up.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Twitter's really ruined the whole "don't meet your heroes" thing, hasn't it?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Yes, unfortunately I don't get it at the moment. From what I understand most everybody has this channel at this point?

BrightHouse :negative:

Comcast is adding it today, but only the Spanish feed (English will come on later), which isn't showing the game live.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Crunkjuice posted:

Is beIN so lovely they don't have replays?

Feed's probably controlled by the Jamaicans, doubt beIN has any control over it

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

someone gif that dempsey face

This please

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
HERCULEZ

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

MrXmas posted:

Hmmm... so is that Wambach or Morgan's goal?

They announced it as Wambach's

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Did the Australian keeper get hurt early on or something? I haven't seen her take one of her own goal kicks all night.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Vinestalk posted:

A bunch of European outfits use them. Arsenal have been using them in training and pre-season for years. They're mainly used for distance covered, speed, and (I think, since they're strapped specifically around the chest) heart rate. It's way faster than pouring over video footage which might make it more cost efficient, as well.

Isn't the MLS adopting something like this for next year? They all wore it at the all-star game, but I don't remember it making them all look like they had scoliosis

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what would have to happen for us to lose and still advance?

Jamaica would have to either lose or draw with A&B, or win without making up the goal differential with the USA (currently 3, obviously would be less if USA lost.) Win or draw for the USA puts us through.

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 15, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

80085 posted:

Say hello to the face of the person that will knock us out of the world cup

Hi Carlos you scored 6 goals for my team I really appreciated them thanks
Please don't beat us tomorrow

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what's the tiebreaker after goal differential? Say we lose by 1 and Jamaica winds by two, what happens?

If I'm understanding the regulations correctly, it would be determined by goals scored (currently 8-5 USA).

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
jesus

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
GET IN

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
:siren: DEUCE :siren: