Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I haven't had a problem with it. :colbert:

Isn't that nice. When I tried it yesterday it would even start half the time and about every third time I load a save the screen gets covered in green static. Not that it matters when it assigns random bullshit to most of my derived stats, karma and kill counts every time I try to play. Crashing was fixed by downloading a fixed script from the nma thread but everything else made it pretty much unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't that nice. When I tried it yesterday it would even start half the time and about every third time I load a save the screen gets covered in green static. Not that it matters when it assigns random bullshit to most of my derived stats, karma and kill counts every time I try to play. Crashing was fixed by downloading a fixed script from the nma thread but everything else made it pretty much unplayable.

Here's the thing:

Over the last three or four years, I've installed this mod over Fallout 2 on five separate computers: Two desktops and three laptops. And three operating systems (XP, Vista, and Windows 7.) And not once have I had an issue that couldn't be resolved by poking through the (admittedly poorly documented) readmes and doing some troubleshooting. While I might have just had a really, really significant amount of luck, I'm inclined to think the problems are user error.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Meh, not worth giving a poo poo about. Got sick of every single dialog option being a gigantic wall of text long before the game decided that I couldn't have an AC over -16. Also "thieves stone"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 13, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Here's the thing:

Over the last three or four years, I've installed this mod over Fallout 2 on five separate computers: Two desktops and three laptops. And three operating systems (XP, Vista, and Windows 7.) And not once have I had an issue that couldn't be resolved by poking through the (admittedly poorly documented) readmes and doing some troubleshooting. While I might have just had a really, really significant amount of luck, I'm inclined to think the problems are user error.

Perhaps you could lend your expert troubleshooting skills and explain why megamod installed on a clean install of FO2 would crash on entry to the Temple then.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Expert troubleshooting skills or not, rambling about a clean install not working is hardly giving people much to work with in regards to your system or any potential conflicts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rodyle posted:

Perhaps you could lend your expert troubleshooting skills and explain why megamod installed on a clean install of FO2 would crash on entry to the Temple then.

I'd love to, and like poptart_fairy said, it'd help if you gave some specs and explained what you've done so far.

1. First off, make sure you're getting the latest version of Mib88 Megamod. If you google search it, you'll very4 likely end up with an outdated version (these are usually found on sites like ModDB, and are version 2.34.) NMA's forums has v2.44--that's the one you want. That, or 2.43.

2. Start with a clean install. I personally installed 2.43 directly on top of 2.34, but I wouldn't advise it.

3. Now, open up and extract Megamod 2.34 into your Fallout 2 folder. Make sure you do not have patch000.dat in your Fallout 2 directory. In all likelihood, this is why your game is crashing when you try to enter the temple. Rename patch000.dat to something else so you can save it for a rainy day (something like patch000.dat.backup)

4. If you dumped everything into the Fallout 2 Folder, you should be able to see the following files:

Data folder
Readme files folder
Files Folder
Proto folder
f2_res folder
Map Edges folder
translations folder
Runme.bat
ddraw.ini
ddraw.dll
BHPerk.ini
Damage.ini
f2_res.ini
megamod.ini
Push.ini
RandomLoot.ini
SlaverPerk.ini
weather.ini
XPRush.ini
elevators.ini
and a few other 'readme' type files

5. Now here's where the readme drops the ball: It tells you to run the "RUNME.bat" file. There probably isn't a RUNME.bat file. What you want to run, instead, is the "ProcessDat2.exe" This will open up your master.dat file, delete some entries, write them over with new information, set some files to readme-only, and then sew everything back up.

6. At this point, you should be good. If you're still having problems, the readme advises to uninstall everything, run a registry cleaner, and make sure there isn't a residual "fallout 2" stuff on your hard drive. I've never had to take things to this extreme, but it's something to consider.

Hopefully that can help you out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

snip

Thanks, renaming the patch file worked like a charm, got a good hour or two out of it, but when I went to load the file again, it loads for a moment, then instantly crashes with the message "The instruction at 00459781 referenced memory at 00000064.
The memory could not be read from. Click ok to terminate the application." A bit of searching indicates that this issue first cropped up in 2.43 and, as far as I can tell, the author never figured out the cause.

I'm running 7 64 as I've mentioned before (I did eventually figure out the color corruption issue by the way, although the solution is loving nuts).

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
If anyone is having the color corruption problem try this site.http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solving-color-problem-red-grass-purple.html

#8 worked for me and is super easy, though its annoying not being able to alt-tab out to check email and stuff.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Thanks, renaming the patch file worked like a charm, got a good hour or two out of it, but when I went to load the file again, it loads for a moment, then instantly crashes with the message "The instruction at 00459781 referenced memory at 00000064.
The memory could not be read from. Click ok to terminate the application." A bit of searching indicates that this issue first cropped up in 2.43 and, as far as I can tell, the author never figured out the cause.

I'm running 7 64 as I've mentioned before (I did eventually figure out the color corruption issue by the way, although the solution is loving nuts).

Try downloading this and see if that fixes your memory errors. It may not work on existing corrupted saves, however.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just voicing how amazing these games are. Fallout 1 and 2 will always remain my favorite games. I remember being 11 years old and not getting half the jokes. I would play these games once a year without fail. Tactics is even a fair addition to the franchise (not without flaws) but it brings in more cool things than it takes away. Awesome stuff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This thread reminded me that I actually had these games lying around. The last time I seriously played them, I was about 13. I've been playing Fallout 2 mostly, and I had simply forgotten how much you are going to loving die in this game. It's frustrating and off-putting, still but really addictive. Like an abusive spouse or something, I keep coming back for more. I can't marathon it like I do with New Vegas or Fallout 3, though.

I've wandered over to Vault City, and dealing with that crazy bitch running the town is annoying. I'm about to go look up and see if I can resolve the situation without pissing Gecko off, and if I can't I'm just going to go level up elsewhere, come back, and murder that whole loving town.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 14, 2011

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

hemophilia posted:

I've wandered over to Vault City, and dealing with that crazy bitch running the town is annoying. I'm about to go look up and see if I can resolve the situation without pissing Gecko off, and if I can't I'm just going to go level up elsewhere, come back, and murder that whole loving town.

You can always murder Gecko

Failing that, you can talk to Gordon in the Gecko junkyard, and then strike up a deal with Vault city's Proconsul Gregory using the data Gordon gives you. Fix the atomic plant, and that's about as good an ending as you can get.

It still ends badly for Gecko's ghouls

Things never really worked out well for Gecko in any of my playthroughs, so I usually just massacred the town for loot and boatloads of negative karma. The guards in the nuke plant are weak, slow, and can't aim at all, plus they have lots of 5mm AP ammo to sell along with assault rifles and some chems.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Evil Agita posted:

If anyone is having the color corruption problem try this site.http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solving-color-problem-red-grass-purple.html

#8 worked for me and is super easy, though its annoying not being able to alt-tab out to check email and stuff.

I did a lot of the stuff in this article a few months ago to get it working on my netbook, but it turned out that it was way easier to download the hi-res pack and change the colors to 32-bit or whatever. Fixed it immediately. Alt-tab works and everything on both of my computers, one is running 7-32 and one is 7-64.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just use the screen resolution window shenanigans on 64bit Windows 7. Works just fine and I can alt-tab out do whatever I want.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Minarchist posted:

You can always murder Gecko

Failing that, you can talk to Gordon in the Gecko junkyard, and then strike up a deal with Vault city's Proconsul Gregory using the data Gordon gives you. Fix the atomic plant, and that's about as good an ending as you can get.

It still ends badly for Gecko's ghouls

Oh yes, that is a bug, a pretty infamous one at that. Doing that was going to give you an ending where Vault City and Gecko start a peaceful cooperation, which ultimately cures the Vault citizens of their bigotry. But for some reason the game forgets to check if you have have showed Proconsul Gregory the data disk, and gives you the ending where you didn't instead.

This bug is cured in the unofficial patch, but if you insist on playing vanilla the best solution is to stop the plant from leaking waste into Vault City's groundwater. In the ending you get for that, Vault City and Gecko forms an uneasy truce.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Utritum posted:

This bug is cured in the unofficial patch, but if you insist on playing vanilla the best solution is to stop the plant from leaking waste into Vault City's groundwater. In the ending you get for that, Vault City and Gecko forms an uneasy truce.

So a violent, drugged out rampage with a fat doormat/handyman/mule backing you up isn't the best solution?

Still, Lynnette's reaction when you inform her you shut down the leaking nuke plant by melting it down is priceless.

I took a hankering for the WhiteChocobo666 playthrough, where every opportunity for negative karma must be taken. Plus the bounty hunters that inevitably come after you have some pretty pimpin gear at later levels. Too bad WC666's character build section is wishy washy and allows for too much player gimping (sex appeal, lol).

My favorite build:

S: 4
P: 9
E: 4
C: 8
I: 8
A: 6
L: 9

Gifted
Small Frame

Small Guns
Lockpick
Speech

Basically you can go anywhere and BS anyone into doing what you want with this build. With the MkII armor, shades, and the Zeta scan (along with a lot of drugs) you can get most useful stats up to 9/10 and keep them there most of the time by the time you're tooling around NCR.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Minarchist posted:

Too bad WC666's character build section is wishy washy and allows for too much player gimping (sex appeal, lol).

You mean you don't always take sex appeal?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Category Fun! posted:

You mean you don't always take sex appeal?

I go for something a little closer to real life

:qqsay:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Would any goons be up for playing some FO:T multiplayer matches?

I loved the Humvee mission. Rolling through a town full of raiders while all your dudes with AK47's unload into them was some real post-apoc black hawk down poo poo.It was great worming your way through the town with your guys on foot too, your sneakers would get plenty of work. Hint: there's a gap in the building near the 2nd checkpint that a female cahracter can squeeze through. From there they can easily sneak up to the last checkpoint and clear it out from behind.

Not to mention the debriefing really tells you about how the mid west brother hood doesn't gently caress about. From what I can remember, they send in a knight squad in power armor to kill all who resists and rounds up what is left over to work in labor(death) camps.

Admittedly, I have not played FO1/2. I've only ever played FO:T (my first) and FO3. But I've never gotten the hate for FO:T. It definitely fits the "feel" of the universe up until the robots enter the scene.

Edit: did anyone EVER use the non-human team mates? I found them all to have too many drawbacks compared to a potential squaddie decked out in power armor with a good weapon.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 14, 2011

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Xerxes17 posted:

Edit: did anyone EVER use the non-human team mates? I found them all to have too many drawbacks compared to a potential squaddie decked out in power armor with a good weapon.

Deathclaws can get truly ridiculous amounts of hit points and AP. And they can throw grenades. And you can get them hopped up on Psycho. And when something humanoid gets into melee with a Deathclaw, it's over; even if you haven't got enough HtH damage from perks to kill it, it's still going to spend the rest of its short miserable life knocked down, unable to act, until someone saunters over to put an EMP shell into it. Plus, I am pretty sure ghouls can wear power armor, and maybe environmental armor? Super Mutants can't, and they can only use Big Guns and the Gatling Laser (all other energy weapons use small gun sprites, and mutants don't have sprites for holding them), so they end up pretty gimped.

FOT was not without its problems, but it was still a lot of fun. My biggest pet peeve was something it had in common with Fallout 1 and 2 -- namely, firing a weapon costs a base of 5 AP, but reloading it only takes 2, which not only makes zero sense but removes all tactical considerations from reloading entirely. No need to swap to your secondary weapon when your clip is empty, because you can just reload with your leftover AP you couldn't fire with. Can't wait for a gap in suppressing fire to move forward, because they reload so quick there is no gap. I wonder if it's possible and feasible to make a mod that fixes that and sets the AP cost to reload at, like, 8 AP?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I know everyone has said it but man these games are great. Fallout 1 is still my favourite ever, with Fallout 2 close second. I'm finishing a playthrough of Tactics right now (argh those robots, so tough) and will probably play 1 again afterwards.

I remember the first time I played Fallout, a couple of friends of mine got it at the same time and we were all playing it pretty instensely over a particular weekend. When we went back to school on monday we were all swapping stories about our characters and what quests we had done/not done etc. One that came up was "did you help the gun-runners?" And I was all "Nah, I think I killed those guys." "Well, did you get Dogmeat and do all the Junktown quests?" "Nah, one of them got lippy so I tore the place up." I had a pretty badass character who I decided wasn't going to take poo poo from anyone and would fight his way out of everything. Once I realised that it is really easy to kill the weak and take their poo poo to sell to buy better poo poo, I got pretty powerful and was crushing people all over the place. It was such fun:)
My next playthrough was a little more reasonable, I was a chick with small guns skills and some charisma, so I didn't fight so much and instead did more talking and relied on NPCs more (when they weren't shooting me in the back.)
Fallout 2 I only finished once, normally by the time I get to San Francisco or whichever it is I start getting a bit bored. I feel like that game almost had too much going on and too much leeway in what you could do.
It's so great now that there are hi-res patches, it keeps it from looking too dated, although seeing more of the map at once lets you see the repetitiveness of some of the tiles.

Has anyone here played Jagged Alliance 2? It's sort of similar though I think it's harder as it is a different style of game, less RPG but similar combat etc. My mercs always get killed and I get such a bad rep that I can't hire anymore:(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

From the 'Video game hoaxes and urban legends' thread...

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Interesting enough story I guess :geno:

That's aimed at the author, not you, Rupert Buttermilk. Thanks for posting it :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HoldYourFire posted:

Interesting enough story I guess :geno:

That's aimed at the author, not you, Rupert Buttermilk. Thanks for posting it :shobon:

Hah, no problem. This COULD have been believable, if not for that absolutely ridiculous poo poo at the end about 'don't turn on your tv!'. :jerkbag:

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Multiplayer was fun too, though they totally hosed up by letting points be assigned for multiplayer per squad rather than per unit with a seperate setting for number of units per squad. To explain: Let's say you were playing 10K Points Multiplayer. This meant every player had 10K points to buy stuff for their squad. Now, you could make a squad of 6 decent troops, or you could sink 10K points into a single super mutant who carries a .50cal MG firing DU shells while doped up on every powerful chem and puts giant holes into everything while being impervious to virtually everything except another super mutant who could maybe survive long enough to return fire. Multiplayer got really stale really fast because it became a battle of individual super-soldiers. I think they finally patched it, but only after the community was totally dead.

They should have kept the multiplayer that the demo had, that was loads of fun. It was basically just prebuilt characters only, no points or anything.

Interplay ran a demo-multiplayer tournament once and I won. Still have my Tactics T-shirt. :smug:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Huitzil posted:

Deathclaws

See, I always played with CTB mode on. So any melee guys I sent in would get ventilated by the comrades of whoever it was attacking. It also stopped you from using burst fire weapons due to friendly fire concerns. I was rather boring and usually went for the "sneak into position, then let them walk into your firing line" tactic. Worked pretty well!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hah, no problem. This COULD have been believable, if not for that absolutely ridiculous poo poo at the end about 'don't turn on your tv!'. :jerkbag:

I could have bought it as an area where they put critical NPC's to spawn and despawn at death and whatnot, I've seen areas done similarly in Neverwinter Nights modules. Dialog not working could be a script that is to prevent you from talking to "non-existent" characters in the spot they usually stand. The whole "kill yourself in this location" thing seems a bit farfetched unless there was a glitch in the area.

The Vault Dweller could have been explained as an NPC that was planned for use, but later scrapped. White noise a bug, but the whole locking up your computer, first print of the game and a death animation otherwise not used are not really that believable when you've got tools these days that let you view all the game files and you would be damned sure you could find these resources somewhere if they existed at all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm liking Tactics so far. Some questions:

If I don't go straight on the map to the next destination, and choose to explore instead, I end up with an endless stream of encounters, many coming without moving any further on the map. Is this normal? I would like to explore if at all possible.

I have my barter specialist, but it's tough to transfer stuff to him from my mules. Is there a more elegant solution than simply dumping stuff on the floor near the quartermaster for him to pick up and trade?

Are there any good ways to gear up, other than waiting for later missions with better loot? I'm getting tired of hunting rifles and AK-47 assault rifles.

What's more useful, Brotherhood cash or ring pulls? Should I try to get an equal number of both?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

If I don't go straight on the map to the next destination, and choose to explore instead, I end up with an endless stream of encounters, many coming without moving any further on the map. Is this normal? I would like to explore if at all possible.

I have my barter specialist, but it's tough to transfer stuff to him from my mules. Is there a more elegant solution than simply dumping stuff on the floor near the quartermaster for him to pick up and trade?

Are there any good ways to gear up, other than waiting for later missions with better loot? I'm getting tired of hunting rifles and AK-47 assault rifles.

What's more useful, Brotherhood cash or ring pulls? Should I try to get an equal number of both?

There are hidden special encounters on the map but other than that theres nothing to explore. If you want better loot hunt for special encounters on the world map, or head west and see if you can run into different baddies. Careful though they will probably murder you instantly. To pass loot off, select everyone at once and move them all to the quarter master. Drag items from the selected persons inventory to your main sellers name tab. Its quicker than dumping stuff on the ground but not much.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

LLCoolJD posted:

I'll just work through these:

- Encounters are buggy on newer PCs, as I think the random number generator determining encounter probability is tied to CPU speed. A solution would be to have a team member with high Outdoorsman skill so you'll get a prompt for most encounters and can choose to skip them. However, there's very little point in exploring unless you want to see the special random encounters. See this list on the Fallout Wikia if you want to know what they are. These are the only things you'll find if you explore.

- Get your barter specialist close enough to the QM that he can initiate barter, and gather all the other mules around him. Use the Steal-skill with either of your mules on the barter guy to get an inventory>inventory screen. Just select another mule via the team buttons to get their inventory linked with that of the barter specialist. Once you have everything transferred, barter as normal.

- No. Better gear comes later in the game, and you can't cheese it by heading to the next bunker even if you know where it is, as it won't be present on the overworld map until you get orders to move there.

- Always get BOS cash. RPs can only be used with vendors in special encounters and the later bases. I think there might be one or two vendors in mission towns as well but they will rarely, if ever, have anything worth purchasing unless you're doing a gimmick run.

Tactics is 99% linear with very few chances of actual roleplaying. On a couple of occations you will be presented with two missions at once, but play order is only a matter of preference, as it won't affect anything.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Goons are a wealth of information. Thanks the help.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Gonna try a tactics solo run. Anything basic I should know? What should I tag?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Evil Agita posted:

Gonna try a tactics solo run. Anything basic I should know? What should I tag?

CTB or true turn based? And do you mean a pure solo run, or a solo combat run(with a dedicated noncombat medic to heal wounds and maybe a noncombat barter monkey)?

Assuming CTB(since that's what I always play), in a solo run you'll need sneak, small guns, and big guns. Basically, the idea is to abuse sneaking to start every fight at an advantage and to ruthlessly exploit the most powerful weapons at any given point in the game. Your weapon progression will look something like this: SMG/AK47 -> FN Fal/Neostead Shotgun -> Browning M2 -> Gauss Minigun. Balancing the stats for all this is pretty damned hard and you're going to run into carry weight issues constantly, especially once you start using the Browning(but it will be vitally important to be able to kill Super Mutants and Robots quickly enough to not die, since it's the strongest weapon there is besides the Gauss Minigun). You also won't really have the points for much in the way of support skills, so be prepared to reload a lot when you take nasty wounds unless you allow yourself a noncombat medic.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 16, 2011

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

I've beaten Tactics more times than I can count, but I've never tried an Ironman run. Anyone here actually pulled that off and have any advice?
I also have never actually used either turn-based option - it's always 100% full-on realtime combat for me, so hopefully somebody knows some good strategies that take that into account.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Kanos posted:

CTB or true turn based? And do you mean a pure solo run, or a solo combat run(with a dedicated noncombat medic to heal wounds and maybe a noncombat barter monkey)?

Assuming CTB(since that's what I always play), in a solo run you'll need sneak, small guns, and big guns. Basically, the idea is to abuse sneaking to start every fight at an advantage and to ruthlessly exploit the most powerful weapons at any given point in the game. Your weapon progression will look something like this: SMG/AK47 -> FN Fal/Neostead Shotgun -> Browning M2 -> Gauss Minigun. Balancing the stats for all this is pretty damned hard and you're going to run into carry weight issues constantly, especially once you start using the Browning(but it will be vitally important to be able to kill Super Mutants and Robots quickly enough to not die, since it's the strongest weapon there is besides the Gauss Minigun). You also won't really have the points for much in the way of support skills, so be prepared to reload a lot when you take nasty wounds unless you allow yourself a noncombat medic.

Thanks for this.

Actually I haven't decided on CTB or not. Guess I should. And I was planning on not using any other characters at all, simply because for me it gets cumbersome having to control 6 dudes at a time. I'm lazy like that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Egomaniac posted:

I've beaten Tactics more times than I can count, but I've never tried an Ironman run. Anyone here actually pulled that off and have any advice?
I also have never actually used either turn-based option - it's always 100% full-on realtime combat for me, so hopefully somebody knows some good strategies that take that into account.

CTB(Continuous Turn Based) is the "realtime" option. As for an Ironman run, I've never done it but I can see it getting frustrating once you reach the Super Mutants and beyond. It's very easy to lose even power armored veterans in one unlucky burst from half a mile out from some of the nastier poo poo like prone Super Mutants with DU ammo in a Browning M2.

If I were going to do it, I would probably make my main character a sneaking specialist with small guns and have him ghost ahead with the most powerful close range weapon he could get(autoshotgun, preferably a pancor ASAP) in order to take out the nastier enemies in advance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hmmm, been dicking around with some things a bit and living anatomy is kinda strange. it seems to just tack 5 damage on at the end after everything else, ignoring all modifiers including armor, critical hits and only triggers once per target per burst.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Kanos posted:

CTB(Continuous Turn Based) is the "realtime" option. As for an Ironman run, I've never done it but I can see it getting frustrating once you reach the Super Mutants and beyond. It's very easy to lose even power armored veterans in one unlucky burst from half a mile out from some of the nastier poo poo like prone Super Mutants with DU ammo in a Browning M2.

If I were going to do it, I would probably make my main character a sneaking specialist with small guns and have him ghost ahead with the most powerful close range weapon he could get(autoshotgun, preferably a pancor ASAP) in order to take out the nastier enemies in advance.

I know, but there are two other turn-based options: squad and individual. Thanks for the advice though, I may give it a shot later this week.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been doing a solo run of Tactcs and it's going pretty well, didn't get far in the game last time when I tried to play it properly, got bored of it. I will say though that having 2 STR made the game much harder than I initially anticipated until I realized that drugs last the whole mission, wherein I just started popping Buffot at the outset, and some After Burner Gum on top of that for my H&K Caws (I actually got it for the Neosted Shotgun but didn't get the chance to use it before getting the Caws so whatever).

Is small guns going to be viable the rest of the game or should I start pumping big guns to use the browning? Right now I'm maining the Caws and a Garand and I'm in my first Super Mutant mission (which is going surprisingly well). For the record, here she is one After Burner and Buffot while standing up.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I've been doing a solo run of Tactcs and it's going pretty well, didn't get far in the game last time when I tried to play it properly, got bored of it. I will say though that having 2 STR made the game much harder than I initially anticipated until I realized that drugs last the whole mission, wherein I just started popping Buffot at the outset, and some After Burner Gum on top of that for my H&K Caws (I actually got it for the Neosted Shotgun but didn't get the chance to use it before getting the Caws so whatever).

Is small guns going to be viable the rest of the game or should I start pumping big guns to use the browning? Right now I'm maining the Caws and a Garand and I'm in my first Super Mutant mission (which is going surprisingly well). For the record, here she is one After Burner and Buffot while standing up.

I'd raise either Big Guns or Energy Weapons towards the end of the game, otherwise you'll have a hard time doing decent damage to the enemies you encounter. Small Guns don't really cut it unless you happen to have a lot of EMP shotgun shells.

• Locked thread