Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"FOV: Quake Pro" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The void under the bedrock is now an eerie twinkling darkness instead of a glitchy blue nothingness :tinfoil:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Are there any 1.8 texture packs at all yet?

Also I might be imagining things but mob AI seems a lot less dumb in this update.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

One stronghold per world seems insane. What's to stop it from generating hundreds of thousands of blocks out from spawn?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Here's a map of a 20000x20000 world from 1.8:

The oceans are pretty huge but there are still islands dotted around everywhere.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Beige posted:

If I remember right, Jeb or Notch said it will be returning in 1.9. 1.9 should also be released during Minecon, which is scheduled for November 18-19.

I know the release date is just a formality at this point, but having it officially come out with previously working features missing is a bit odd.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

notch posted:

Sudenly! http://i.imgur.com/7DCvy.png

Looks like the mushroom/fantasy biome in the background.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Estel posted:

I found a conversor so i could change the world format from the old one with thousands of files to the new one.
Why did you need to use an external utility? Did they strip out the ability to convert old saves just by loading them up in a current version of Minecraft or what?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

Awesome. Yet another thing we don't need while many more important issues/features are ignored. Thanks Notch!

It's almost as if they want the game to be feature-complete before release! :monocle:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is the only worthwhile potential snowman reskin.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

TWO SPERGS ENTER, ONE SPERG LEAVES

(I've got to add the spleef floor still shhh)

That dumb sign was way too big to slap over that thing :smith:

Is that a bee house? I want to see a better picture of the bee house :3:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm not mad about the ending considering it's a part of the game I will probably never bother with, but oh jesus christ that thing smacks of some horrible pretentious Jason Rohrer poo poo. The fact that Minecraft didn't seem to be one of those indie games was part of what turned me on to it in the first place.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lord Solitare posted:

Oh, something with a vagina that the developer gets fixated on because she can't shut the gently caress up about his game?

The Leif posted:

She must have sucked some dick at E3 because she managed to spin it into a job in Sweden. Good for her, I guess.
Are these posts real

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

gently caress's sake, not this derail again. It's impossible to edit a tweet. It's not real.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Just spent a couple of days on-and-off working on a huge tower with the intention of putting a nether portal on top of it. Only now do I discover that there's a bug that causes portals above Y=128 to not link properly. Balls! :argh:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

krushgroove posted:

It'd be great if there were a Notch hate circlejerk thread, it'd make people remember that it's a game/have fun thread, not a total hate thread.

There was one of those a couple of years ago. It didn't last a month.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Nope, never. Didn't do anything in Snow Leopard, still doesn't do anything in Lion.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Me too. I lost all motivation to play after dying and losing a lot of stuff on a hardcore server the other day; a fresh start on something similar would be a real treat.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I was pondering ways to make a hardcore game interesting earlier. This kind of last-man-standing scenario could benefit from Battle Royale-style "danger zones" – more and more chunks of the map become dangerous to stay in for too long as the game progresses, gradually forcing surviving players into the same small area. I don't know anything about writing server plugins though so I don't have any practical ideas of how to do something like that in an intuitive way v:shobon:v

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

How about Lemuria? It fits with the driving-out-monsters theme and it's never been used as a game title as far as I can tell.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I can't wait to make an alarmed perimeter fence out of stacked tripwires and music blocks :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Incredibly what? Incredibly good? Because it looks to me like something I'd find on the side of an incredibly creepy van.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Arrow-activated buttons? Now I can make my own Zelda dungeons :q:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is adfly still infested with malware or can I go back to hating it solely for lining the pockets of self-important script kiddies?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

i like tacos posted:

What texture pack is that? I'm a sucker for minimal style texture packs.

I was going to suggest Frenden but apparently that hasn't been updated in a long, long time :smith: The amount of variety in available texture packs has really plummeted over the past year with the sheer volume of new graphics pixel-pushers have to account for. Kas has the patience of a saint to do what he does.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Kas if you're gonna go through with adding custom endings to Painterly please consider including one based on the coffee breaks from Earthbound :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A good solution to the "oceans too big" problem would be to add powered boats. Or flight. Or properly configurable worldgen :argh:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Current top story on the BBC: Why Minecraft is more than just another video game

Gotta say, it's really weird seeing what I remember thinking of as "that weird browser-based cube game that goons are talking about" back in 2009 being such a huge thing among kids now.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Didn't the same issue come up when sandstone was introduced? It was originally craft-only, then a later patch caused it to be naturally generated, which upset texture people who'd made stuff like brick textures for it. Then they went ahead and introduced separate decorative sandstone blocks.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh hey the pistons/slime blocks thing means we can make cellular automata now, right?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

oddium posted:

*Keincraft
Mein Kraft.

:notch: :hitler: :notch:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I miss the days when this thread got hundreds of posts every day and it got so fuckawful that chat about Notch and stuff not specifically about the game got quarantined into its own thread. That was really good.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Brick Testament flashbacks.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

mutata posted:

Haha, give me a break. They've been making dolls of famous people for decades. Kids watching YouTube channels instead of TV channels isn't some sign of the apocalypse or even some sad cultural moment. It's literally the same stuff that's been happening since the 60s and 70s.
except now the big deal kids' entertainment stuff is totally unfiltered and my 11yo brother's friends are running around shouting "rape rape" at each other

I mean I do feel a bit like a sad old Kids These Days rear end in a top hat but the popularity of children's "TV" that isn't subject to any content moderation at all is totally unprecedented and sort of scary to me.

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 20, 2015

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Lots of parents don't have the time to be vigilant about everything that their kids are consuming, though. I met one of my kid bro's friends a few weeks ago. This twelve-year-old was wearing a minecraft shirt and a minecraft hat and the very first thing he said to me was "do you like youtube". He spent the afternoon interrupting conversations between the three of us shouting poo poo like "derp" and "hitler was a secret jew". His only family is his mother. She works six days a week and he's at home alone most of the time. People in her position simply don't have the resources to keep tabs on what's influencing their children.

The format of internet randoms uploading independently produced/published videos of themselves playing games with commentary dubbed over is so far removed from anything they're familiar with that it's increasingly hard to ascribe kids being influenced by these people to parental failure. There's no PEGI/ESRB/whatever for youtube Minecraft videos. That there exist cartoons that aren't for children is something that's been obvious to a lot of parents for at least a decade now but I think it's gonna be a lot longer before "holy poo poo, there are people uploading videos of kid-appropriate games rammed full of strong language and sexual content and we need to be careful with that" properly permeates into the mainstream. Even people who are more informed than the average parent are gonna see Minecraft or whatever on their kids' screens, think "well, it's not GTA/Call of Duty/etc", and leave them to it because it looks like age-appropriate media.

I binged on GTA1 and South Park and Bottom and the Alien flicks and all kinds of other inappropriate stuff when I was still in single digits because I was largely unsupervised. In those cases, though, my parents could have looked over my shoulder for thirty seconds and determined that I was getting into some poo poo I wasn't capable of fully understanding. The criteria for being vigilant about what's influencing your kids has increased massively over just the past few years and I feel like it's not 100% reasonable to condemn parents for not being able to easily tell what is and isn't appropriate content anymore.

I'm not "blaming the culture" or whatever. Just saying that we're dealing with a new kind of media for which we have no prior frame of reference and it worries me a lot.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Blasphemeral posted:

If Notch were still onboard, this is the sort of thing he'd have seen someone post on Twitter and then spend his Friday night implementing.
If the year were still 2010 yeah maybe.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Some kinda new version came out and this thread hasn't had any posts in two weeks and it's kind of impressive how nobody gives a poo poo about this game at all anymore :notch:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/6b0fkh/dear_mojang_please_remove_feeding_chocolate_to/

loving lol what even is going on with this game

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Little Johnny: "hey thanks for having me over. oh i have an idea we should give your parrot a chocolate chip cookie!!"
Little Timmy: "i don't know, i don't think my parents would be happy"
Little Johnny: "no it's ok parrots love cookies, here, check it out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lmao you aren't making the point you think you're making