Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cNFeKOAMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Why does anyone think Capcom or whoever would make a game that didn't try to appeal to a large audience and be accessible after a 10yr hiatus? Why do you think they, as a business, would spend a shitload of money on designing and creating a game solely for the enjoyment of the small handful of people that've been playing on GGPO?

Also, the "casual players" that folks are blaming for SF4's popularity didn't exist before SF4.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Who the hell are you even talking to

I don't know, probably you

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dias posted:

Try the Hori Fighting Commander 3 PRO, it has adjustable diagonals - so you can make it super-tight for MK and KoF -, a similar layout to a Fightpad but, IMHO, a lot more ergonomic, and some other gimmicks. It's scrubby Rose/Taskmaster/King/H-VSion tested and approved.

MadCatz fightpad is way more ergonomic than the Hori FC3 Pro. There is absolutely no way you'll effectively be able to go claw on the Hori (yeah I do this), so the only finger you'll be able to use is your thumb for the 6, and index for the 2 right triggers. The DPad is incredibly stiff, but directionals are muddy unless you adjust the diagonal calibration to "small," because you need to hold both seperate left & down directions for a downback; it's not round (ie nowhere to push to activate both at once). Your left DPad thumb will also get uncomfortable within an hour due to this. The entire pad/mold is a lot smaller/cramped as well, so there's a good chance on accidentally hitting the left triggers with your left index finger until you actively focus yourself not to do it.

6-button pads I own and my rating:
MadCatz Fightpad - Excellent but squishy DPad
Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro - Responsive when calibrated but really uncomfortable
PDP Versus Fightpad - loving terrible

The MadCatz is easily the best/closest to the old Sega pads, and it never gets uncomfortable. You can actually fix the DPad problem (I did) by doing this: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/tutorial-how-to-mod-a-madcatz-fightpad-internal-external-mods.109309/

It's ridiculously difficult for some reason to get a perfect shape on the cross, but it's worth it and responds great afterwards. I'm basically only keeping the Hori FC3P for 2-player.

Dias posted:

Wait, how is it impossible to go claw on the Hori, that's how I play it and I have absolutely no issues at all. Three fingers for six buttons. I suppose me having tiny hands helps, but I never had any of the issues you mentioned - although I'll give you the cramped shoulder buttons, and the d-pad is a matter of preference.
You know how with the MadCatz, it's symmetrical on both sides and you have that "batarang" space underneath the buttons to lay your hand on? The Hori doesn't have that for some reason and resembles someone without a chin. It might be possible if you have it in your lap I guess, but your palm will still hang out in the air. Also zero chance of hitting those right triggers like that. If the Hori had fatter "wings," it'd be a lot more comfortable. Smaller hands would help, but I don't have meatpaws or anything near that. It's just not comfortable for me on either side of the controller :sigh:

rivals posted:

Isn't the Hori Fighting Commander 3 Pro the one that's got like a stub on the right side so it's more or less designed to be played claw style?
It's a stub but it's not for claw. It fits into the hand nicely when using only thumb/index (triggers), but there's zero room for the palm if you're playing claw (because it's a friggin stub).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 23, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Elephunk posted:

DnD: Shadows over Mystara always bugs out for me on GGPOFBA. When the second player is playing, the buttons are always bugged and when P1 hits "cast spell" the other player casts too. :(
Scuz & I were playing 3rd Strike on my comp one time, and this was happening too. I was playing on a MadCatz pad, and he had his own stick that he built. The problem had something with how he wired it I think? Something to do with his 3k or 3p buttons not being assigned or wired to anything. I don't know, maybe that'll help you figure it out but he can probably shed more light on the problem if he sees this.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

mfny posted:

After some testing I cant work out what the adjustable D-pad diagonal "sensitivity" feature is actually meant to do. Being able to rotate the d-pad itself and the thing of being able to move all buttons to right hand is pretty cool though.

Go into training mode on SF4 or something with input display on, and watch how quickly it goes from down - downback - back with each setting. It's kind've a useless feature since it's not a full circle but there's a slight difference.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Six Of Spades posted:

Hm, the converter seems like an interesting bet, since I definitely have a PS2 controller, and the adaptor can be used for PC stuff too.

Taking a quick look at dedicated fighting game 360 pads, they're pretty cute.
Mad Catz has a bunch of SF4-themed ones, and PDP has this funky asymmetrical one. :3: Waaaaaay less than the prices for arcade sticks too.

I can see people using special controllers being a pain at tournaments but thankfully that's not a problem for me, haha. This is really useful info though, thanks a lot.

We were just talking about pads not too long ago, here's a link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433271&pagenumber=138&perpage=40#post401854487

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

dj_de posted:

Does anyone play Blazblue anymore? I tricked myself into buying Extend for PS3 because there is a scene for it here if I want to risk getting shot and/or robbed

I recently downloaded the PC version (which I think is like the very first release) and after playing SF4 for so long, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing or what's going on.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm just looking for a decent fightpad to play some SF4 and maybe some older 2D fighting games on PC and PS3. I was looking at the Madcatz fightpad for SF4, but most people have told me to stay away from it since the wireless technology sucks on the PS3. With that out of the way my only other 2 options seems to be either the new SxT madcatz fightpad, or the usb Sega Saturn controller that has apparently disappeared off the face of the earth.

Since I can't find the Saturn controller, have any goons have any luck with the SxT madcatz controller? Does it work for PC?

Here's the one I'm talking about : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879216227

At least for the last MadCatz Fightpads, they'll work for PC only if you have an Intel mobo or add-on USB card. Here are some other options:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433271&pagenumber=138&perpage=40#post401854487

I'd go with MadCatz for normal/large hands, Hori FC3 Pro if your hands are really small.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yea, as long as the new madcatz doesn't have some kind of manufacturing problem, I think I'll be going with that. It sucks though that I won't be able to use it on pc without any additions. Maybe one day they'll just make a universal fightpad for all the platforms.

Thanks for the advice guys.

If it doesn't work on PC out of the box, try downloading MotionInJoy to see if it'll emulate a 360 pad.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone know where I can get SFxT (PC) cheap? Like...really cheap?

There's no way I'm paying more than $20 for it. Should I just wait for SG?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

It's the Nickelback effect.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Micgael posted:

I don't know how you guys feel about having SFxT on your pad, but the EVO20 code that is currently supposed to be giving 50% is currently giving 100% off.
I really want to do this (put in a temp order for 5), but I'm afraid they'll actually charge the full amount or something because it's obviously a glitch.

Micgael posted:

The coupon code limits to one pad per order at discounted price. For what its worth, mine already shipped, but I won't be offended if they decide to charge me $20 more.
Not what it showed in my cart. $150 - $150 Discount + $8 Shipping or something. My total was the shipping cost only.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 6, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SilentD posted:

I know there was an issue with nvidia based chipsets not detecting controllers properly, though they worked fine on intel chipsets. The work around was getting a cheap USB card with a chip that worked for them. Any el-cheapo via based one should work.

I thought this was only with the MadCatz PS3 controllers? Regardless, you could use MotionInJoy to emulate the 360 one too instead of buying a whole new USB card.

I'm guessing the problem is something completely different. Only thing I can think of is maybe you're plugging it into a USB 3.0 port and it has a weird problem with that?

I have a MadCatz 1st Gen Fightpad (360), PDP Fightpad (360), Hori Fight Commander 3 Pro pad (PS3), and a Frisby PSX-Style pad. They all work perfectly/get recognized on my PC, and I have an AMD board. :iiam:

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 17, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

nickmeister posted:

Okay, I'm pretty sure I already asked this question, but I can't find the answer anywhere:

I can't find any games in SF4 for the PC. It tells me there's no one online when I know that's not true. What gives?

SF4 or SSF4:AE?

Huge difference. I played a few games of AE 3-4 months ago and there was barely anyone online.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone know if there's any hardware/firmware difference between the BrawlPads and the newer SFxT pads, other than the slight size difference on the casing?

If the guts are the same, I'd rather get the brawlpads since they're probably the last "big body" design MC will ever put out. Should snag a replacement for when OG Ryu dies and a couple for a hypothetical emulation box.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess the BrawlPads are all out of stock anyways :(

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 26, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Transient People posted:

Interesting tweet from Ono: Apparently there might be something new coming for SFIV sometime soon...

http://shoryuken.com/2012/12/01/yoshinori-ono-teases-further-rebalancing-for-street-fighter-iv/

Not confirmed at all of course, but it's not like some extra polish on AE2012 is a bad thing.

I thought he was fired.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

List of legally-obtainable FGs for PC that suck less thsn Strekken:
-Eternal Champions

Where??!?!

WHERE?!?!??!!?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just wait until 2023 when we all have smell-o-vision monitors. The smash tourney (and all others) will be streamed online, right?

Also here's the best vid of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTd7mtr81ww

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

So SFxT is downloading a 812mb update on Steam and I can't find any news or patch notes.

:frogsiren: Is this 2013?? :frogsiren:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

So it looks like the extra characters have been added into the game files (except for MegaMan, PacMan and those 2 cats or whatever) but they're not for sale on Steam so there's actually no way to buy them.

Awesome patch.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Even though I'll never play it (PC only), it's refreshing that they didn't sexualize her.

Especially considering it's the MK team.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

You guys saw this, right:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/deadpool-mortal-kombat-strider-prey-2-steam-achievements-leaked-pes-2013-coming-to-steam/

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Ingenium posted:

Alright, I probably should just go ahead and get the most current SF4 expansion as I am assuming base SF4 wont work well. I actually have skullgirls reserved, just wanted something until that comes out.

SSF4:AE. Do not buy SFxT.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Didn't this already happen?

SFxT?

Gems??

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. Decent cheap controllers are never off-topic in this thread.

Anyone have any experience with the Hori EX2 and if so, anywhere to get a pair for cheaper? http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/

Looks like it'd solve every emulation need imaginable (with the 6-button face & twin sticks).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dias posted:

I can't speak for the Hori EX2, but the Fighting Game Commander I have is a drat good pad, good adjustable d-pad and awesome buttons. So they can make good six-buttons pads, I'm just not sure if that one, not being a fighting game pad, is anywhere as good.

I have this already and it'd be decent if it wasn't made for midget hands. It's so tiny that my hands overlap.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

pandaK posted:

Is the $20 fight pad from Madcatz adequate? Why are they at different price points when they look exactly the same, just with different templates?

The original SF4 & Brawl pads are larger and more comfortable while the SFxT pads are smaller. That's about the only difference.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

pandaK posted:

Yeah I don't think I'm willing to put down an extra $50 just for increased size. The $20 one sounds like a great deal, though is there an easy way to replace the template on them? I'm really not partial to SFxT, and I'd way more appreciate even a generic color than a branded template.

The larger Brawlpads are $10 right now:

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Off topic, but Mad Catz has a summer sale on right now. , which includes the WWE Brawl Stick for $19.99 (PS3 only). For the price it's a great "first stick".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

systran posted:

Playing against the computer won't help you learn at all; you have to play against other people that are better than you in order to improve. If your wife and you keep playing in a vacuum, you both will probably progress very slowly but still could have fun.

SF4 is pretty good to start out with, the in-game tutorials are never going to be good enough to teach you how to play either way. Skullgirls and BlazBlue probably are just going to have harder combos and less-basic concepts.

Yeah normally but it sounds like they're absolute beginners. I don't think jumping into matches against people that have been likely playing for 6yrs is going to teach them anything other than how quickly they'll get absolutely destroyed.

Skullgirls is getting a PC/Steam release soon, and with it will come a large influx of brand new players. Dink around with SF4 however you want in the meantime but I'd recommend the SG upcoming Steam release as a great opportunity to grow your skills along with everyone else that's new.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Overbite posted:

So I picked up Super SF4 AE when it was on sale on Steam and it sucks with the xbox controller. I don't have a stick but I do have a Mad Catz PS3 brawl pad with wrestlers on it. It's not wired, it has some USB dongle. My dumb question is: can I use this on the PC? I know that PS3 controllers can be used with a bit of fussing around but I can't find any info on this specific pad working on PC.

Maybe. There was an issue with the first-gen Madcatz PS3 pads not working unless you had an Intel motherboard but that might've been ironed out by the time the Brawl pads were released. There IS a way to get it to work if it doesn't but I think it'll involve buying a $20 USB connection or something.

Unfortunately you just missed the Madcatz sale for 50% off all BrawlPads (where you could've gotten an XBox one), but if you want something guaranteed to work, you can grab one of these for the same price as the dongle (assuming your PS3 pad doesn't work and you'd need to get that USB extension): http://store.gameshark.com/searchRe...e1-772c9bd2e45d

Just plug it in and try it first. You might be able to get http://www.motioninjoy.com/ to pick it up and emulate a 360 controller too.

EDIT: vvvvv Listen to this guy, I'm not too up on current controller emulation software. Also saw a recommendation for Joy2Pad when I was researching your issue so that's also possibly an option vvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 1, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

New Mortal Kombat was just released on Steam. Hope the online is decent because $30 is a chunk I really don't like paying.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

So since I'm an idiot and bought MK on Steam, who's the character closest to M. Bison? Aggressive/rushdown, strong normals, very little reliance on flash/combos, etc...?

I've barely played yet but from the tutorial mode and a few tower challenges, the characters I've tried all kinda feel the same. Also: anything important I should know as an MK first timer that's not apparent from the get-go?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Works, fine. You also have the option of these guys which have a nub with microswitches instead of a dpad.

Do not buy these. Yeah, they're awesome in theory but I've replaced the one I had issues with (the D-pad was off-center) and the new one still has the same issue but to a lesser degree. If they were actually aligned right then sure.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

What it really needs are Steam trading cards because PC online is pretty barren (other than a handful of god-likes that never stopped playing).

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Quick question: Is online play possible between Arcade Edition and the original, unexpanded version of Street Fighter IV from way back when (at least on the PC)? A friend of mine still has a copy of the basic SFIV from way back when, and I wonder whether I'd be able to play him with AE or if he'd need to upgrade first.

No.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just a heads up that KOF Steam dropped $5 and early adopters got screwed out of $5. Might want to contact Steam if you bought it earlier.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

If someone emails them and gets a refund let me know, I'm at work and not going to bother without a successful trip report. Frankly snk can have my $5 if it means kof14 exists.

I just sent in a ticket for a refund/re-order or $5 credited back to me, I'll update when I get a response.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

For people who have bought KoF pre-order, you can now play the beta.

I am absolutely in love with this game so far. Lost a close match with another newbie online and have been testing out some characters in Practice mode since. So far I'm liking Maximus (except it doesn't seem like he has a lot of tools to just get around a standing-block unless there's armor breaking properties that I don't know about), Robert (quick with mixup/minor juggle option), and Clark or Ralf (who's hundred-hands seems more consistent than Clark's).

Any characters with strong normals that can effectively control the mid-range with decent rushdown potential? There's a ton of characters to test out and I'd like to narrow it down a little if possible. I main Dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

They're doing it with Bioshock 2 & Arkham City first if you want to watch how a "test run" is going to go down.

• Locked thread