Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The MS wireless wheel has lots of lovely electronics issues. Microphone feedback issues (even with the mute switch on), random button presses, the feedback gives out completely. (or goes spazzy) It's all possible. They're built like crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It ain't pretty, but maybe you'll find it useful. I whipped this up in 20 minutes tonight.

http://rainwave.cc/~rmcauley/forza_random.html

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

GutBomb posted:

Can non-members participate in this at all? AUGR doesn't have anything going right now and probably won't this week and I'm itching for some planned race.
For this week I'd actually encourage this - while there's a strong Canadian Contingent (and 1 or 2 European folk!) in GTCC we're probably going to lose more than a few people to July 4th celebrations. Stop by IRC and we'll get you to add one of us GTCCers to your friends list so you can hop in the lobby.

The spec this week is E-Class Unlimited, however your car must start in E class, you can't tune up an F class car. And as CaseFace says, you have to be prepared to have all assists forced off, including the racing/braking line. (I think the only "assist" we allow is normal steering (as opposed to simulation)) It's also fairly customary to bring a livery - just buy a design off the store if you have to. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, I mean "able to take sweeping corners faster than anyone else because they stuck to the road like glue."
Lightglobe's could do that - not necessarily all of the Elevens could, though. :( (mine couldn't)

vvvvv yeah I've since gone back and added aero to mine. :)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 9, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I like the gear stick with the "5" button right in the neutral zone.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

xzzy posted:

What's crazy expensive to you?

The Hauppauge HD-PVR is decent if you can live with component cables. They run under $200. Biggest downside is they have no internal storage so you have to hook it up to a PC via usb to record anything.

But the results are nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdJyxUiEU9U

Anything with HDMI is going to be much more expensive.
What track is that at 2:05? I seriously don't recognize it.

vvvv and that'd be why I didn't recognize it. because it was a horrible track that never got played. I put in some serious time in Forza 3 but played that monstrosity maybe once.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 13, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's likely from the "contest" where you posted your favourite game design aspect of the Forza series. If the T10 employee liked your post, you got the unicorn of your choosing. I picked the NSX R-GT.

vvvvv you can share unicorns?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 18, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The hard drives carry over, you just have to crack open the HDD enclosure from the old one and use some styrofoam packing or similar things to make the HDD fit in the new one. (or see about buying a spare caddy)

I did it myself when my old white Xbox died, works like a charm to this day.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to abuse the thread. I just didn't feel like I had put my full effort into it. Ignore this post if it annoys you, please.
If that's abusin' the thread, I'd say we thrash the thread some more! Awesome shots, and I love your filenames. :) I wish I had remembered to put my full livery (with number and everything) on my car instead of the one that winds up in the shared garage! Oh well. It managed to be fun sometimes - you backmarker bros are fun to race with. :)

And yeah, somebody lagged bombed into me on the first lap and gave me near-100% aero damage all around. 100% aero damage. On an Exige. That was the end of the race for me. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cannot Find Server posted:

Well, I'm glad someone said it.

Also, started playing Persona 4 and after 2 hours I realized that the race had started a half an hour ago. Whoops! Maybe I'll be there next week.
Getting to play Persona 4 your first time is an acceptable excuse for missing a race in my books. :hfive: Seriously enjoy that game man, it is *good*. If you see me on IRC sometime (out of town this weekend unfortunately) hit me up if you have questions about the game. :)

On topic - holy poo poo someone got criticized harsh and took it like a man. Kudos to GutBomb for havin the guts and silver for owning up and not making GBS threads up the thread.

Good racin this week for GTCC too! Sad to see my Impreza brothers at the back of the pack though. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Team Dig forever. :colbert: I swear I spent straight half a year doing nothing but time attacking with the Dig Lizard Nightmare. I still wish real cars could sound as nice as that car did. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think I was the first victim of EXTREEEEEEEEEEME.

I want photos/videos of Synmoo's lag-endo, though. :)

vvvvv SOMEBODY does. I think CaseFace?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 6, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

burtonos posted:

Anybody up for some dice racing this evening? maybe 8 pm est?
I'm in. Let's hope others are.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Quote from this Ars Technica article.

quote:

We also spoke a little bit about how they handle modeling some of the newer generation of highly computerized cars—such as the Nissan GT-R, Ferrari 458 Italia, or McLaren MP4-12C—where complex electronic traction control and stability control systems can direct power (or apply the brakes) to individual wheels. Obviously car manufacturers have spent a large amount of time and money creating these electronic driving aids, and I wondered if the game reproduced them or if their proprietary nature made this impossible.

As it turns out, it's actually easier to put these into the game than it is in real life. That's because most of the work that goes into designing those systems in the real world concerns getting the car to understand what's happening with each wheel so it knows which one needs more power directed to it, or which one needs braking. According to Dan, "the challenge is nowhere near as hard as you think, once you understand we are the Matrix." Since Turn 10 is modeling the entire environment, the game knows exactly what's going on with each wheel, so it's able to recreate the behavior of these systems realistically.

It's never addressed if the driver assists are modelled 100% to the real ones or what, though. What wouldn't surprise me is if T10 simply has 2 driving models for each car: one with assists on, one with assists off.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Why on Earth would you want them to put a Tilkedrome in this series? There are plenty of much, much better tracks in the US that we don't have yet. Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Barber, Mid Ohio, Virginia International Raceway, Long Beach etc.

Plus the onboard lap of CotA looks as boring as any other track Tilke has ever made. We already got the neutered, poo poo version of Hockenheim, that's enough of his boring, soulless shitheaps for now.
Good lord what a boring track. None of those corners flow at all, it's just straight, turn, straight, turn, straight, turn.

Somebody give the Forza fantasy track designers a job designing real tracks. A real-life Maple Valley would be incredible. :swoon:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm selling my MS wheel, which is actually quite good in combination with Forza, but in the Toronto area. Don't really want to ship this heavy-rear end thing out. (and I doubt anyone wants to pay the shipping fees for it)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dear Rainwave,
This is Captain Howdy 0.
I am writing to you in the wrong thread because I do not know where you are; but I have something I want you to see and take with you and when you are off on your Nippon adventure, please think of me, and think well of me. This is for you, good sir:

I missed this!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

So pretty. :swoon:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm going to be trying to join in on GTCC next week using a friend's Xbox, so you dilz-punchers better show up for it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think sim steering is the one thing we don't enforce, since it sucks on controllers and Fanatec wheels.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's also the one that'll hit the Xbox Guide button for you at the worst possible moment. (any moment)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Go GTCC. Your life needs more spreadsheet specs and dilz.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dilz and buttplugs up in a car? The very definition of GTCC. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Dr. Faustus posted:

See you when 5 comes out. Some of you were awesome to race with, some of you were the worst human beings on Earth, and some of you flipped a coin (or rolled a die) to decide which you'd be that week.

I still love you all, except SAPopeOnARope who should be found, flayed, and drowned.
Godspeed, Faustus. :patriot: I'll see you when 5 comes out too. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

This man needs the GTCC truck, stat!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Not to mention that Microsoft has stated that accessories and controllers aren't forwards compatible with the Xbone. Say goodbye to your Fanatec wheel compatibility!

If I have to buy a new wheel, system, and game, it's probably going to be the PS4. (all it GT6 needs is a fixed interface and less grinding crap to get me on board. And a PS4 port)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

I wouldn't count on GT6 having custom liveries, it always struck me as the more strait-laced of the two racing games, however the GT series has had open wheel racers since 4 I think? A big hit for me against Forza 5 is the change with regards to wheel compatibility, here's to hoping that fancy Fanatec wheel I ordered works with GT6 :pray:
Custom liveries are on the official feature list of GT6. Considering how consistently Polyphony's been delivering updates to GT5 (and how goddamned many of them) it might almost be time to give them the benefit of the doubt.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Ether Frenzy posted:

(nice little event, make sure to keep the lower class stuff in there! You should keep separate boards for controller and wheel users.)

Some of the best hotlappers on SA are controller users. (see: L Harrison) There's no need for separate boards.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Nah, Pope didn't intentionally wreck people. He just had no drat clue what he was doing, ever.

I think we're spending too much time beating a dead horse here, this is an old and tired subject for many of us. To back Howdy up, though, Pope's admitted to griefing on more than one occasion. He doesn't like people passing him and has openly admitted he'll push you off and doesn't care if he takes himself out in the process.

Race with him and decide for yourself. :shrug:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

They only ever said they're "still figuring that out" or what have you. They never confirmed a number.

24 player races would be madness. Madness. The first corner carnage!

(I'd love it)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I played it at the Tokyo Game Show a few times today. It's.... Forza I guess, not much has changed honestly, not like that's really a bad thing. As for graphics, the IQ is better running at 1080p, but there's a lot of dithering going on and the AA is very mild, so it's not the huge, gigantic, revolutionary leap that I was sort of expecting. Frankly the cars and lighting don't really look any better than Foza 4 did. They only had Laguna Seca in the demo, and there's been a lot of upgrades to trackside detail, I'll give them credit for that. I'd like to see Prague or Spa to know what a "built for Xbone" track is like, rather than what I can only assume is an upgraded Forza 4 track.

The real change will be in how the game feels for controller folks. The trigger feedback MS has put in is an absolute game changer for Forza. You can feel precisely when the gas is breaking traction, and exactly when you're pushing the brakes too much, directly through the triggers. It's very easy to find the sweet spot for both acceleration and braking now.

Last note: they've modified the FOVs again. The sense of speed and how wide the track is feels a bit different, the game feels slower, and the tracks seem "compressed" distance wise. The visual distance between turns/etc seems to be closer, at least on Laguna. The corkscrew feels much tighter.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I said come in! posted:

I actually liked how Forza 4 dealt with cutting corners because unlike in the real world, you don't have race marshals to enforce the rules, and this was a good alternative to that. It helped make sure that people who go off track, fell behind like they are suppose to. It's just that sometimes it was really harsh and you lost quite a few places, although even that happens in the real world. It was a good compromise that was poorly understood I think.
Actually an interesting idea would be *to* have forced race marshals. PIT someone, cut a corner, etc? Have an AI take over for you and force you to do a pit pass. (like I said; only an interesting idea. I agree with you re: Forza 4's handling. You're supposed to stay on track anyway.)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wait is that a Tilke track with high speed turns and S curves and elevation changes? Huh. Looks fun.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just preordered an XBone and FM5 Collector's Edition. Hello, more debt!
gently caress. Does this mean I need to get one too now? drat you Howdy!! You're ruining my schemes to save money next year!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I hope they have the supercharged 300hp Ariel as well. The V8 seems great and all but dat supercharged sound... :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Cojawfee posted:

Did you actually run Llamas spec? Because we played GT Legends instead.
Who do I have to friend on steam to make this happen for me? :D

• Locked thread