Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Looks like some new stuff has gone up today. (Or since the last time I checked.) I'd recommend:

Lights Out Last year's FX original series about the comeback of boxer "Lights" Leary and his navigation of a corrupt and unpredictable fight industry. The show didn't get renewed, but there's no real cliffhanger and the season works as a self-contained entity. If you like boxing, Stacey Keach, or Stacey Keach in a boxing drama, check it out. Bonus points for the mid-season appearance of Eamonn Walker as Lights' new trainer. The man is solid gold in everything he's in, eatin' and shittin' Kodak film like it was Taco Bell.

Puncture Solid drama -- based on a true story -- about a lawyer with a drug problem who tries to reform the medical industry after a client's sister dies from an HIV-infected needle during an ER incident. Probably Chris Evans' best role, aside from the Scott Pilgrim posters.

Ace in the Hole Older Kirk Douglas potboiler about a journalist who exploits a guy trapped in a mine. Been a long time since I've watched it, but I remember liking it.

Human Centipede 2 is also up, in the event you've ingested bleach and need to vomit immediately.

Finnish killer Santa movie Rare Exports is also up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

scary ghost dog posted:

The X-Files is the only show that I've seen every episode of more than once. Now I'm just sad that I've seen every episode of the X-Files, and there are no more episodes to see. And there never will be. :smith:

There's still hope for a third movie to wrap up the conspiracy arc!

...isn't there?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

SRM posted:

Even so, I can't picture Alien or The Thing being the center of family movie night. I think my worst family movie night was when my dad put on Not Another Teen Movie and it starts with a scene centered around a dildo.

When Alien was rereleased in 1999 for the 20th anniversary thing, my mom took my sister and I to see it in theaters as a family movie night thing. I was 7, my sister was 11. So it's not completely unheard of.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Cormack posted:

Along these lines, I Think We're Alone Now is probably the most :smith: thing I have seen.

Someone hasn't seen Dear Zachary.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Farbtoner posted:

I thought it wasn't condemning the man for having a fetish so much as it was condemning him for having an unhealthy and exploitative relationship with his wife as well as just generally being dangerous. He wasn't just a dude with a cuckolding fetish, he was threatening her if she wouldn't go out and have sex with strange men for his gratification even though she had made it clear that she didn't share his kink. He also effectively blackmailed Hank by denying his loan unless he enabled his exploitation of his wife. Him committing suicide at the end wasn't going "kinky people are insane", it was going "the guy being an abusive piece of poo poo to his wife was just one facet of how messed-up he was"

Of course, TV in general is pretty backwards on sex so I could be overly-optimistic. If you want bad you should see the episode of The Shield where a married couple abducts their neighbor and slowly torture and dismember her in their shower, which the police simply attribute to them being into BDSM :ughh:

Shawn Ryan is pretty messed up, I guess.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can you explain this in detail?

Her husband was frequently gone for long periods of time with no explanation, she had just discovered he repeatedly lied to her (including about a second cell phone), and in her mind they were separated. She tried to throw him out, and he literally broke into the house.

Ted was a friendly guy, who actually seemed to give a poo poo about her. In a time where her husband was being awful towards her. Saying she was motivated by revenge is a really, really dumb interpretation of the show.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Can anyone recommend me a WWII to Modern Day war film that's on instant? I wanted to watch The Hurt Locker, but it's not there. I'm looking for something more Hollywood-esque, something that's not Restrepo, but more like Private Ryan.

No Man's Land is a horribly depressing film about three soldiers in the Bosnian-Serbian war. It's excellent, though.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is The Day of the Jackal worth streaming? It looks pretty nifty.

Oh man, I got Day of the Jackal confused with Night of the Hunter, and got excited that they added one of my favorite movies to Netflix.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there any way to see what movies were in your queue when they expired? My queue is suddenly three movies shorter, and I can't figure it out.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
A Horrible Way to Die is not worth watching. The camerawork is among the most obnoxious I have ever seen. I can get behind leaving most of the violence off screen, but this is just unforgivable. The camera is constantly wavering, wandering into space, randomly zooming and going out of focus.

Plot kind of sucks too.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Maxwell Lord posted:

Revenge season 1 is on streaming!

How can I describe this. It's the greatest soap opera ever made. Emily Van Camp is out to destroy the family that ruined her father's reputation, and she's moved out to the Hamptons in a house right next to theirs under an assumed name. She teams up with a goony-as-hell IT millionaire (who has the greatest fashion sense known to man) and primarily locks heads with an icy Madeline Stowe, who is every bit as much a glorious bitch goddess as Joan Collins in Dynasty, and who delivers lines like "When I hug you, the warmth you feel is my hatred burning through."

It is amazing, completely unironically so- the writers know what they're doing and the plot, however loving absurd it is, is also tight. It starts out kinda "Revenge of the week"-y with Emily taking out various participants in her father's frame-up, but quickly develops into a more complex rich-people-screwing-each-other drama.

You just have to see it to understand.

I'm already a fan of overly-dramatic, soapy television, and this show is a home run for me. It's really, really good.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Hey everybody!

Classic sitcom Sons of Tucson is now on Netflix!

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Fallen is excellent. It was on Netflix for a long time, but appears to be off now. I wouldn't be surprised if it came back soon, and you should grab it when it does.

Also, The Caller is pretty creepy in parts. Not outwardly scary I don't think, but it's got a pretty good atmosphere to it.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there a way to just see everything Netflix anticipates I'll rate 4+ stars? That seems like a pretty obvious feature.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
There is no "Recommended" section anymore. There's a Top 10 that surfaces every once in a while, but mine are always somewhere in the three-and-a-half range, so who knows.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I'm staring at the "Suggestions for You" section on my AppleTV right now. Are you referring to something else?

Is that there in the browser version? I see "Because you watched…" and my Top 10 (which for some reason contains two things I've already rated), but no dedicated Suggestions section.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

axleblaze posted:

Well it's probably because the copyright holders know that this is their one chance to make money off of it. Like they know a bunch of people think it would be great to watch Groundhog Day on Groundhog Day so they pull it because they make much more money on people renting or buying it. Saem with horror movies before October.

It's really not Netflix itself. If Netflix had their way they'd have every movie ever on their service. If they had their way they wouldn't even have a DVD rental service anymore.

Or that Netflix bought it for x years early in some previous October (or Groundhog day, as it were), so the contract expired on that early date, when years ago they were making it be ready for the holiday.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Mescal posted:

Now I'm curious. Maybe not for Val-Day, but is Audition some kind of must see? I've never heard of it and I don't want to search for info about it and spoil myself.

It's pretty great. You should watch it.

edit: then again, I'm a pretty big sap, so take that as you will.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Xenophon posted:

What are some awesome Netflix 80s B movies to watch with a group of friends next weekend? Preferably "action" but I'm open to any kind of suggestions.

It's from the 70s, but the original Death Wish is up.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

pookerbug posted:

So I just watched The Lorax with my daughter last night and I have to wonder; did anyone involved in that movie ever read a Dr. Seuss book in their life let alone The Lorax? Seriously, what in the cockadoodly gently caress was that?

There was maybe one passage from the book in the whole film and it was loving PARAPHRASED. I don't mind the extra stuff they added to flesh out the story into a movie, but the way the core narrative was handled was unforgivable. It sort of looked like a Dr. Suess story, but where was the Seussian dialog? Seriously, how do you gently caress this up that badly? The goddamned script is practically already written and storyboarded for you for shits sake. PICK UP THE loving BOOK AND LOOK! AT! IT! If you are too stupid to read watch the Chuck Jones cartoon.

I could only imagine the boardroom full of suits that poo poo out that script...
"Why does everyone rhyme when they talk? They shouldn't do that. They sound like rappers"
"Why can't we see the Once-ler's face? We should be able to see his face"
"Who's the bad guy in the story? We need a villan. Like an evil CEO or something everyone hates. We can't point the finger of blame at the audience"
"Oh, and we need more outdated pop-culture references like um... a disco gag!"
"What the hell is grickle-grass?" "Is that like marijuana?" "We need to cut that."

gently caress me dead.

In other words, you can avoid The Lorax.

You probably should have seen this coming when they used commercial tie-ins to that movie to promote SUVs.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

priznat posted:

I thought the series decided to go down a weird path when Frank killed Peter. Pretty hard to go back to being a "loveable rogue" after that, especially because Peter was a fairly sympathetic guy despite all his fuckups. Not sure if that is in the original series, I should check that out.

Enjoyed the series though, did the usual thing of binge viewing it over a couple nights.

vvvv drat sorry man :(

I've never understood this criticism in any of the shows it's come up for. The guy's an antihero, he never seemed as tame as a "loveable rogue" to me. He was destroying careers and taking advantage of people all over the place, not causing minor trouble.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

priznat posted:

Well, it just seemed to go beyond how the character was initially introduced. "Getting even" with people who screwed him over is one thing, but this seemed to be going to a whole new level. The talking directly to the audience in asides shtick draws you in and then the floor sort of drops out and it's a bit of a disconnect.

Still enjoy the show though, and it's going to be fun rooting for the journalists to unravel the nefarious deeds.

He was initially introduced killing an animal in useless pain. It's exactly how he began.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Bash Ironfist posted:

So I was looking at instant watcher, and noticed Southland Tales which apparently stars The Rock and Justin Timberlake.

The summery: set in a dystopian near-future, director Richard Kelly's visionary tale of doom and destruction mines post-Sept. 11 angst and paranoia as Los Angeles teeters on the verge of social, financial and ecological catastrophe. While a heat wave blasts the sprawling metropolis, one man foresees the coming apocalypse -- but can he prevent it? Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson heads a star-studded cast that includes Sarah Michelle Gellar and Justin Timberlake.

It seems like it'll be terrible, so I gotta watch it!

Don't be so down on Southland Tales. That movie is long and confusing, but amazing.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Also worth noting that the director considers this scene "the film's heart and soul."

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I don't know how long Pretty in Pink has been up, but I love that movie.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

precision posted:

I agree with this statement.

Don't know if it was recently added or not, but An American Crime (2006). It's an incredibly depressing and disturbing true story, and very polarizing - on RottenTomatoes, it has a 23% Critic score, but a 77% Audience score. It stars Ellen Page. It is pretty gut-wrenching and hard to watch at times, but worth it, on balance.

It's been compared to Funny Games in that it was accused of being completely nihilistic and punishing with no moral center. I'm not sure if Film Threat is still any good, but they're one of the few outlets that gave it a very positive review:

http://www.filmthreat.com/reviews/9654/

The Girl Next Door (the one from 2007, not the one with Elisha Cuthbert) tells the same story and it's also quite good.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Anyone in here who hasn't seen The Fall (2006) really needs to before it's taken off on April 1. It is by far one of the most cinematographically beautiful movies I've seen in a long time, and the story/acting are excellent.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Collects Welfare posted:

The "Top Ten for [user]" list is perhaps the most useless Netflix offers, and that's saying something. I have seen 8 out of 10 of the recommendations. "Hey, Collects Welfare, I saw you liked Lost in Translation. I think you'd really like Lost in Translation!"

Not to mention they're not even the movies they think you'll rate the highest. The highest rated movie in my Top Ten is predicted at 3.5 stars, while both Mulholland Dr. and Once Upon a Time in the West are predicted at 4.5, and are nowhere on the main page.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else notice the Facebook notification tones going off in the audio master for Arrested Development? There's one at around 28:30 in episode 8, and I've heard them before that, as well.

I remember hearing those and confusedly checking if Facebook was open, yeah.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Christ the other day the subtitles in a movie were getting overlaid with netflixs: [speaks Spanish]

Thanks Netflix!!

When I had the yellow subtitles it would do that, but now the white ones avoid it.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is there enough differences in their catalogs to justify having Netflix AND Amazon?

I have both. I have Netflix because it has way more availability, and only have Amazon Prime because it comes with the free two-day shipping. Probably not worth it unless you buy enough to justify the shipping discount.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

axleblaze posted:

This is clearly the best under a minute opening (also on Netflix)

That Rubicon one was god damned incredible though. I've never even heard of that show. Does it come even close to living up to that opening?

Rubicon is phenomenal. It's a travesty that it died for The Killing.

Also the worst opening credits still goes to Homeland. Awful, awful, awful.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

david_a posted:

The first season has some pretty cool episodes. I'm about half-way through S2 and I find it to be a bit more of a slog; I don't know if I'm just in rough patch or what. I fully intend to abandon the series after they switch filming from Vancouver to LA.

This is a dumb thing you're planning to do.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm like 17 episodes into Fringe and the overarching plot is getting really thick... Please tell me it pays off satisfactorily...

Do they ever?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

FishBulb posted:

Yeah in pretty excited about "top ten for FishBulb" not being Busytown mysteries, my little pony and 8 bad 80s cartoons.

It is, however, still likely to be ~3 star anticipated-rating poo poo, however.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Khorne Flakes posted:

I'll be finishing up the second season of The Killing in the next few days and I really cant comprehend why people thought it was slow or dragging on. The acting, cinematography, mood, character development, and atmosphere are so different and so well done compared to any other crime drama I've seen. Someone said they felt it was slow when they watched it while airing week to week, and maybe it might feel that way if viewed in that manner, but marathoning through it has made it very addictive. AMC must have made some kind of deal with the devil, they only broadcast the best shows.

It's a television show, though. Television is a medium designed to be watched week-to-week. If it fails to be compelling watched as it's supposed to be watch, it fails its goals.

I really, really did not like The Killing.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Is it just me or is the Instant Queue now called "My List"? Of all the things for Netflix to change this was not anywhere near my list.

And now you can't see a list of titles, there's a grid of posters, which is ugly.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Since when is the copy of Oldboy on Netflix subtitled and not dubbed? What an excellent decision, that dub was awful.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Rest in peace, King of the Hill. Maybe one day you'll get released on DVD and there'll be a legal way to watch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I don't know what it is about the Paranormal Activity movies, but they all just get me on a fundamental level. People talk about how they're not scary, but every second of them stresses me out so much more than most other horror movies.

• Locked thread