Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Codiusprime posted:

Amazon has said they will let people root it, a lot people have taken this to mean mean we'll have complete control over the device. I can't see it being that easy, they might let us root it but with them actually losing money on every device it's in their best interest to keep it locked down to some extent. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

They've said they won't fight people rooting it. No one knows how hard or easy that will be to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The only down side I've seen is that the app is clunky but that's fixed by installing the ICS Music leak.

That and its probably about to start costing money.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

How much storage space does Google Music give you? I'm not surprised at all that they would charge for a service that must be taking up a shitload of server space and bandwidth.

20,000 songs x 250MB per song.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

No. Your songs are allowed to be as big as 250 MB, this covers things like continuous dj sets and the like.

Yeah, that's what I'd guess. The number's from here: http://www.google.com/support/music/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1143668&topic=1234613

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Soliciting a Google Music invite from anyone at this point (username at gmail), would like to get in before the clock ticks 12 tonight.

A question has come up as my wife and I have talked about tablets tonight: can a rooted Nook Simple Touch run the Kindle Android app? I found a small "yes" with my googling but couldn't tell if that was pleasantly useful or just a barely-functional proof-of-concept.

Her main issue is a lot of her books are in .mobi and none of the format converters we've tried have done a great job (mostly leaving a shitload of arrows all over the place).

Just sent you one.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

That's the only way to set the active keyboard unless you only have one installed AFAIK.

You can change in under Language & Keyboard in settings. It brings up the same dialog that choosing input method does though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Skeezy posted:

If anyone cares about Twitter apps as much as I do (:downs:) you'll probably be happy to know that the best Android Twitter app updated today.

Plume 2.80 Changelog:
  • Add support for Twitter Streaming for instantaneous updates when Plume is launched.
  • In the background, Plume is still polling every X minutes for now.
  • Add an outbox to queue message sending, retweet, favorite, etc even with no connection
  • Add support for using your tweet as a comment to an uploaded picture on the hosting server
  • Add TweetMarker support to save/restore your reading position across multiple devices (off by default)
  • Add support for position restoration on saved search
  • Add support for position restoration on lists
  • Add xhdpi support
  • Revamped a few user interface graphics to be more modern
  • Fix support for Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich
  • Fix some missing tweets that contain the same link multiple times
  • Fix the switch view (for multiple accounts)
  • Fix the saved search reloading
  • Many more fixes

-----

EDIT: LevelUpStudio also has a small forum to handle betas and stuff like that if anyone cares: http://levelupstudio.com/betatest/

Wow, that is way better than the official app. They don't have a version for facebook do they?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Does anyone remember the app that took over setting your ringtone from the standard interface? Made it much easier to select a ringtone from a folder and I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

EDIT: \/\/\/ YES! Thank you. Link for those that might want it: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.angryredplanet.android.rings_extended

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 27, 2011

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

We might as well close this thread now.

Because the blog was not found? :confused:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Cruseydr posted:

I don't see an option in the settings to enable push notifications, just a minimum of 1 hour. I wonder if it is finally going to notify on comments and stuff like the iOS app.

I've been getting them.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

So what's the goon favorite twitter app?

Plume is pretty awesome and worth the 3 bucks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Spookmaster posted:

Yea I know that. I was just looking for something a little more visual like universal inbox.

There's a blur app called "Messaging" which has all of your email, texts and stuff like FB notifications all in one. As for something like you get on blackberries, not that I've found.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Gyshall posted:

The actual OneNote desktop application is what got me hooked. A few years ago, I started using it during classes on a whim. I now use it day to day at my job (Network Admin.)

The close-knit compatibility with Outlook and the other Office products is what really makes it great. Within Outlook, I can link task notes, calendar items, and messages into OneNote notebooks. It also has stuff like handwriting recognition, collaboration, and syncing (though you need a Windows Live account). It has been a bit crashy on me, but nothing too terrible.

They do have a trial on their website, if I can convert anyone else: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/

I've tried Springpad/Evernote/Catch and none of these have really fit into my workflow. To each his own, though.
The desktop application is what sets OneNote apart. Its the best part of Office really.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

IT Guy posted:

You can sideload the Pandora app. You can also proxy/vpn to a US IP, download the app then disconnect the proxy/vpn and you can continue to use Pandora.

I have no clue if this also works with Google Music but it's worth a try.

Pandora and Google Music are pretty different though. Spotify is probably available, but you have to pay to get the "stream your music from the cloud" functionality.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

IRQ posted:

I will be getting a Kindle Fire within the next week or so. Do the aps I've bought on my phone extend to that? Like since I own X on my phone can I install it to my Fire too without buying it again?

Out of the box, only if you bought them from the Amazon app store, assuming the app is compatible with the Fire. You can root and put the Play store on there, and most things will work fine.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Has friendcaster started throwing errors for anyone else? I'll get a notification, but then it will error when I select the notification to go into the app. Launching the app separately works fine. Its all notifications too, not just the ones that I wouldn't expect to work.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Leathal posted:

Just bought this. Been using the free version forever and glad I waited to buy Pro.

Seriously guys, this is BY FAR the best Android weather app. It's not only the best looking, but it has the most functionality as well (provided you're not looking for super esoteric weather data). The widgets are super customizable as well, and can even use Beautiful Widget skins.

It's funny, it was one of the best blackberry apps back in the day.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SlayVus posted:

I just learned of a new Homescreen/Launcher that is being developed. It's called Chameleon(http://chameleon.teknision.com/) and it looks awesome. It looks just like what Android needs if it could get an OEM backer. I love the style and customizability. Recently, they made a Kickstarter to determine if there is even a market for Chameleon.

They're looking for $50,000 to test the waters and a minimum of $5 will get you the app when it's released.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gaborvida/chameleon-a-better-home-screen-for-your-android-ta/posts

That is pretty.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

fudsak posted:

Haha, engadget just posted whoever held the funds from kick starter on the Chameleon tablet app left the project. They need to make a NEW kickstarter project now. Who wants to donate another $50k to an app?

Except it was canceled before it was funded, so whoever left didn't actually take anything.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Kazy posted:

What's funny about this is that there are several third party Google Music clients for iOS.

How? Is it just that no one has bothered to make any for Android?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

I believe pure messenger does this.

Is there an app that does this?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

BluDiE posted:

You can just grab Scope from the Play store and use "theverge" as your invite code if you want in.

Ok, I don't ever recall signing up for this, but apparently I have and I got in. Creeping me out man.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

How can an app be using battery if it has no processes? My battery screen keeps saying that F1 Timing 2012 is using 19% of my battery usage, but it's not even running. I go to the app screen and force stop is greyed out, I go to running apps and it's not there. This app isn't running but after unplugging after a full charge it's telling me that 5% of my battery usage is F1 Timing 2012 but there's no usage details.

I believe that means it had used 19% of the usage to that point, not that it contributed to 19% of the current drain.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Is Haxsync better or worse at syncing Facebook contacts than what Friendcaster has built in? Friendcaster gets the job done, but the pictures are awful, was wondering if Haxsync was better.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

bvoid posted:

Fancy Widgets has a nice 1x1 weather widget, and there's an option to use your GPS to find your location. Here's what one of the skins looks like:

Is that a live background? and if so what is it? :allears:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

BeWeather is basically the best weather app there is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweatherfree

Beautiful Widgets is good, but BeWeather does everything it does (weather-wise at least)and more, and is better at it.

Pro is also on sale for $0.99 right now too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

LAST UPDATED:
November 4, 2011

Ouch.

Pro was updated in April of this year.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

beerinator posted:

You use the front camera for pictures of your products? You could set up a dropbox app and it has a setting that automatically uploads photos taken to the "Camera Uploads" folder.

You could also just save the pictures to a drop box then use DropSync to download them. I'm assuming they're just wanting cloud storage and viewing and not upload from the Nexus 7.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

eig posted:

Verizon FiOS has a remote control app that works over your wifi network, I'm guessing other cable companies do too?

Yeah, that's device specific. My bluray player has an app I can download and use over the wifi. My TV and cable box don't.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Good god those youtube ads are annoying, I get them on almost every second video :(

Yeah, every other or so for me. But not skipping them seems to make them come up less often, but I have no proof of that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

eig posted:

Well I just saw this posted yesterday on Wacom facebook page:

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/bamboo/bamboostylus/pocket.aspx

That's just a stylus with a bit of rubber that conducts like your finger. Doesn't give you any of the features that a Wacom tablet does.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Are there any advantages to HD widgets if I've already got Beautiful Widgets?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

I just find HD widgets to look better. It's easily worth a quarter.

enough of an endorsement for me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

rolleyes posted:

What I've found slightly annoying about the new BW release is that a lot of the superclock skins I've tried out since the update just come up with "This skin is corrupted" when I try to apply them. Presumably these skins refer to something from an older version of BW, so in that case why is the BW skin gallery presenting them to me for download?

Exactly. Screwing people out of an update is one thing, but Flow is a whole new keyboard. I don't see how you can realistically expect to get it for free.

But will swiftkey 3 and swiftkey flow co-exist on the play store? I alway saw it as Swiftkey X was version 2; 3 was 3 and flow will be version 4.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why do I have to pay for PhotoShop CS6? I bought 5.5 back in '99!

Yes, this was the point I wasn't making very well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Apparently instead of a sale they're doing daily "deals" on the Play store

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Karthe posted:

Both versions of SwiftKey 3 (phone and tablet) are half off today. Since SwiftKey Flow is going to be an update to 3 then now might be a good time to pick it up if you haven't already.

On that note, is it worth it to pick up both versions, or is the phone version just fine for tablets? I've got an N7 that I've been using the tablet version of Flow on so I have no idea how limiting the phone version might be on the larger screen. I'll be migrating to an Android phone in a couple of months and I'd just as soon pick up one app and install it on both devices. That being said, if the tablet version of SwiftKey 3 is much more suited for tablets, then I'll just drop the couple extra bucks to get it.

The Tablet version gives you a split keyboard in landscape on tablets. That's the only difference I've found.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

XIII posted:

I remember there was talk about someone that had torn apart the api and thought he was getting close to having it ready to be worked into 3rd party apps, but nothing came of it.

There are multiple 3rd party apps on iOS that can do it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

i barely GNU her! posted:

Am I the only person using FriendCaster instead of the official Facebook app?

I was, but switched when the "mostly native" official app launched. Friendcaster is better, but I actually get push notifications from the official app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I supposedly have 42 songs out of 8000 that won't upload through the desktop client. Of course, I can't tell which songs they are or if the client is just broken and everything is really uploaded. At least any new songs I add seem to upload fine.

They've changed this too, because you used to be able to see the errors in uploading on the desktop client.

• Locked thread