Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Azure_Horizon posted:

Electro jazz is basically nu-jazz, and I have a lot to recommend for you (it's my favorite genre of jazz).

De Phazz - Cut the Jazz
United Future Organization - Loud Minority (ridiculous trumpet + piano solos in this song; try to ignore the Engrish)
Jazzanova - Morning Scapes
Jazzanova - LOVE and You and I
Fragmentorchestra - De Muse

One of the things that nu-jazz seeks to do is not only blend jazz with electronica, but also to fuse it with world music stylings as well. You'll get, perhaps, more prominent and off-beat drum samples or uncommon instrumentation; however, above all, nu-jazz retains the smooth sound that cool jazz and modal jazz created long ago. It's also a genre that is primarily popular outside of the US, for some reason. It took off in Japan and Western Europe like wildfire.

I'd also suggest the recent album Spiritual State by Nujabes, a posthumous album that just came out a few days ago:

Yeah I don't think I really hear the term Electro Jazz being used very much. Nu-Jazz however is something I love. Basically approaching Jazz from a House, Techno, Soul & Funk angle of attack. More dancefloor based, club based, more singles based. Actually I don't really class it as Jazz half the time really(in the classical sense anyway). Firmly putting it in the dance music pile. No idea what the traditional jazz purists think of it. They probably hate it. And yes, it is/was very, very big in Japan(who absolutely loved it, don't ask me about spending crazy money on imported Japanese 12 inches), Germany and France. Actually fairly big here in the UK as well, though I don't think it quite made as many in-roads here as on the continent. Maybe because we had that big Acid Jazz explosion and later Broken Beat came along to satisfy peoples jazz noodlings to a 4/4 beat.

Actually half the time I make no distinction between a lot of Nu-Jazz and Broken Beat, which came up during the late 90s and was made by jaded House producers, Junglists and Acid Jazz-ers, though Broken Beat has a couple more spoonfuls of 70s soul and funk thrown in. For more on that check my entry of it in the UK Bass guide.

Anyway, for those interested in the whole Nu-Jazz thing I'd definitely check out French label Wagram Records neat compilation series Saint Germain Des Pres Cafe. Mixed albums chockful of Nu-Jazz, Acid Jazz and Broken Beat goodness. I think they're up to about a dozen volumes by now, though I have to admit I've not heard the later volumes in the series as they just aren't easy to find in the UK and when they do prices are crazy. The first half dozen also feature some of my favourite cover art as well.

See it's like coffee shop themed with the thingie and with the vinyl as the coffee? Yeah I'll get me coat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

the posted:

I would like to purchase some good used jazz records on ebay. What are some must haves?

I should add that I love Bebop, or at least whatever they play on the Sky.fm Bebop Channel, which includes, according to them, "many popular artists such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bub Powell, Kenny Clarke, Clifford Brown, and Art Blakey."

You should really get your hands on The Penguin Guide To Jazz. It actually deals with Jazz re-issues on CD, but it's very handy with a billion entries by artist, with a list of important records they cut, what label has re-issued it with cat #s etc. Each with it's own little star rating review so you can pick the most essential ones if you find yourself stuck. And it has a 'Core collection' list of a couple hundred discs you should own.

It's very nice and everyone should own a copy if they are at all interested in Jazz. Though the newest edition is called The Penguin Jazz Guide and apparently nowhere near as good judging by the Amazon reviews. One of the authors passed away and the other author who co-wrote the book has cut it down somewhat and re-arranged it apparently.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Ras Het posted:

I would note that Morton & Cook both are/were big fans of free jazz and the European free improv tradition, so everything that it recommends won't suit a bebop fans tastes.

Of course, but as a general easy guide to jazz as a whole I think it's pretty solid, and is at least a good starting point for people to dig deeper. Trying to pick the choice cuts out of say, Dexter Gordon's or Art Blakey's weighty discographies could be a challenge without something like this.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jack Trades posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9W9rc-P9UQ
Is 'eargasm' a real thing? Because I think I just had one.
I'm such a sucker for bass.

Outside of Jamiroquai's first three albums Dynamite is the only really other good one. A Jamiroquai album can really be gauged by the amount of coke that went up Jay Kay's nose when they were recording it. To much and you end up with the more disco influenced later albums which really aren't too hot (not that I don't love disco mind you). You know it's bad when you fire your poo poo hot bassist and song writer (Stuart Zender) and replace him with the bassist from a Jamiroquai cover band. Stick to the first three albums and everything is solid though.

On a completely pointless note, I really wish I had won an eBay auction from many years ago where someone was selling some Akais that belonged to Jamiroquais keyboard player. I don't quite know why I think that's awesome but I'd have loved it.

As for that mid-90s Acid Jazz thing, that was one of the musics that I pretty much grew up on, and Galliano still remains one of my favourite acts from then. Talkin' Loud released all their albums originally and I'd say grab A Joyful Noise Unto The Creator and The Plot Thickens and you're sorted. Sadly I don't think Talkin' Loud reissued them like they did with the likes of Nuyorican Soul and Incognito (who's another great - and long lasting - Acid Jazz group, maybe a bit more on the pop edge of things, but a good edge) but they're easy and cheap to find on eBay etc.

Skunk Funk
Jus' Reach
Believe

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GrizzlyCanon posted:

I'd go with either Incognito or the Brand New Heavies. They usually get lumped in with Jamiroquai, mainly because they all jumped on the scene at the same time.
Incognito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pl9I05mfHc
Brand New Heavies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8vY0PE38A

That scene being the Acid Jazz scene. A great and sadly kinda ignored about or not taken too seriously by some which is a shame as their was so much good stuff from that time.

I mentioned Galliano a page or two ago so check them out.

If you liked Incognito or Brand New Heavies I'd check out, The James Taylor Quartet, D'Influence and Corduroy. All of which were on Acid Jazz Records at one point in their careers.

Take some time to go over the Talkin' Loud Records back catalogue as well as (the sadly little remembered nowadays) Dorado Records. Between those two and Acid Jazz Records you've got probably the heavy players from that scene covered.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jack Trades posted:

Brand New Heavies are amazing. Especially those songs that feature this singer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2u3CkSEIM
Unfortunately I have no idea who she is or why she's only featured in a handful of songs. :/

EDIT: This song too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWeNw_QymoQ

N'Dea Davenport is probably the singer best associated with BNH, but in those songs it's Carleen Anderson on the mic, formally of another classic Talkin' Loud ensemble Young Disciples. I probably should've mentioned them in my last post actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxlzU1koKco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyEb79vO42M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlaTIPA71AM

Road To Freedom was their only album and should be able to be picked up on Amazon or eBay for pennies. Anderson also had a couple of nice albums out during the mid-90s on Circa/Virgin which are worth picking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bgMh0LZ-tg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxj-9Fy7pjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHXRtGQt4s

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Azure_Horizon posted:

From what I've been able to glean the Jazzual Suspects are more or less signed to Om Records but have no actual albums, just a collection of singles across compilation albums (they are featured pretty heavily on the Mushroom Jazz compilations).

You can obtain Mushroom Jazz compilations on Amazon, I believe.

I believe Jazzual Suspects was Charlie Tate, who also did some Hip-Hop work as Colossus on OM Records, and probably more well known for his work in King Kooba which was more kinda Nu-Jazzy, sometimes downtempo-y, sometimes more Hip-Hoppy type of thing thing who had a bunch of singles and albums out on Second Skin.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Jack Trades posted:

Could someone help me out finding another band/singer that makes music similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA2u3CkSEIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWeNw_QymoQ

I really enjoy very deep and powerful female vocals in my jazz, soul, funk music.

The Brand New Heavies came out of that whole late 80s/early 90s Acid Jazz scene (yes the one that birthed Jamiroquai). Really more of a continuation of the global and UK Jazz-Funk/Raregroove scene with some ideas from House and Hip-Hop shaken up in there. To be honest it's never something I'd really call jazz as such, despite the name and the deep roots but whatever.

Anyway the singer in that particular tune is N'dea Davenport who had a solo album out in the late 90s, very similar to the BNH stuff I seem to remember. Though I've not heard it in a decade at least so my memory could be playing tricks. I'd also check out the Young Disciples and their sole album, who's singer Carleen Anderson used to be in the BNH. They did to veer in a more hip-hoppy direction though.

I'd also check out the 3-4 albums D'Influence released, again powerful soulful singing on those. And if you've got a lot of free time I'd just take a gander at all the back catalogues from the late 80s-mid/late 90s of Acid Jazz Records, Talkin' Loud and Dorado Records. They were some of the bigger players in that scene back in the day, so a lot of little gems scattered about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

DirtyDirt posted:

I am interested in what I guess you would call 70s soul or funk jazz, particularly Donald Byrd and some of the CTI records, like Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Idris Muhammed's Power of Soul (a personal favorite), Street Lady, the Crusaders, and I am just getting into Hubert Laws. Any recommendations in that genre? The funkier or groovier the better.

If it's funkier or groovier you want, you could do worse than checking out the old Mastercuts Classic Jazz-Funk series. The first 4 I believe were done before the guy who set up MCs left and are solid comps full of Jazz-Funk (after the first 20 or so MC releases the company was sold and generally poor from then on). Normally full 12" cuts with excellent liner notes with histories etc that you can use it to identify artists and the specific time period (which is almost always the mid-late 70s but whatever). Sure a lot of the time it leans more on the Funk end of the spectrum (and occasionally simply being Funk) but whatever.

So for instance Byrd is on one of those albums with Dominoes which'll lead you to Places & Spaces, or there's Liston-Smith's Expansions from the album of the same name, or Unicorn from Dizzy and Lalo Schifrin's album Free Ride. That's just some examples and you probably know them already, but there's bound to be some in there you don't.

Of course the old classic stand by that served me well when I was a yout, was looking at contemporary or historical reviews. Anything with a 2 star or whatever was probably loving excellent and the beard stroker who wrote it just wasn't groovy enough to get it. I really wish I was joking there.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

You owe it to yourself to check out anything Larry Young did for Blue Note around that time period!

Actually that reminds me, I'd also say his post-Blue Note Arista Fuel stuff fits in there nicely too.

• Locked thread