Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

jet sanchEz posted:

I have always liked this poster because they could have gone in a very different direction but this lets everyone know that not all animated films are for kids.

If only my parents had seen that poster before they rented the movie for me. When I was 7. You were scarred by IT as a kid? Lucky you...I still can't watch Watership Down :gonk:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Desperado Bones posted:

Shame on you Dave Gibbons! Shame on you!

I like it,it's clever.

Awesome! Batman has a new enemy! A spider...dude? Maybe a girl? Spider-girl will surely give him a good fight!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Since everybody already said how juch they lovehated the antichrist poster:

I absolutely love this one. I really need to rewatch the movie, has been way too long.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well then I do apologise, they're great. I got to see Morricone live in concert this year, hearing the suite from the Good the Bad and the Ugly is something I'll cherish forever.

There is no shame in that. The The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the best soundtracks of all time. Hearing "The Ecstasy of Gold" still gets be pumped every time. That track is SO loving good it is beyond words. As is the rest of the soundtrack but this one really sticks out for me.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

This one? I like it. But I also really really like the movie. It's the closest to a proper "Blood Meridian" movie we will ever get.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

kiimo posted:

So here's our new one. This film got snatched up and fast-tracked and we had to turn this around super fast with Alcon.

I will listen to and accept any and all criticisms and flimsily defend ourselves while blaming the other company for anything you don't like.

I really like that poster. That poster says: It's Chernobyl. It's a horror movie. It's stupid but fun.

Am I right so far? I really have no idea what the movie actually is about, but that's what I get from the poster.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

HoldYourFire posted:

Holy gently caress Ving Rhames has the most ridiculous gun I've ever seen. It actually looks like an MG-42 with a load of crazy poo poo added to it.

Bwahahaha that thing really is ridiculous.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Vagabundo posted:

IF I
ONLY
HAD A
BRAIN

IF I
ONLY
HAD THE
NERVE

IF I
ONLY
HAD A
HEART

IF I
ONLY
HAD YOUR
SKIN

IT PUTS
THE LOTION
IN THE
BASKET

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Perestroika posted:

Well in Germany at least pretty much every single movie is dubbed. It's a bit of a shame really since you occasionlly miss out on really good acting. Even if the voiceover is done well it can't hope to do justice to Nick Cage going completely mental or something similar.
It does make things cheaper for advertising, though. It's kinda fun to hear Bruce Willis pimping out a hardware store chain :v:

I love the dubs of 80's action movies, especially Die Hard was amazing.

I'm still confused that some movies are renamed in Germany. Taken was called 96 Hours which is just...weird.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Die Hard = Stirb Langsam (Die Slowly). That one makes sense in my opinion. Some really terrible German names were:

Original Title: Airplane!
German Title: Die unglaubliche Reise in einem verrückten Flugzeug
German Title in English: The incredible journey in a crazy airplane

Original Title: Once upon a time in the West
German Title: Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod
German Title in English: Play me the Song of Death

Original Title: 3000 Miles to Graceland
German Title: Crime is King

Original Title: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
German Title: Zwei glorreiche Halunken
German Title in English: Two glorious scoundrels

Just look at this if you want some cheap laughs: http://www.listal.com/list/lost-translation-german-titles

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Young Freud posted:

...is pretty loving relevant to the movie (there might be some spoilers).

Oh yes, it is relevant and I actually really like the German title. It's just very different.

quote:

I can see this as well, since the Elvis "The King" motif plays heavily into the film.

But changing an English title to another English title is just stupid no matter how relevant it might be.

Another really, really stupid title:

Original Title: The Man who knew too little
Original Title in German: Der Mann, der zu wenig wusste
German Title: Agent Null Null Nix – Bill Murray in hirnloser Mission
German Title in English: Agent Zero Zero Nothing – Bill Murray in a brainless mission

Edit: I just realized that you all are missing out on one of the best movie titles ever:

Orginal: Tremors
German: Tremors – Im Land der Raketenwürmer
Translation: Tremors – In the land of Rocket Worms

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 19, 2012

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

AstroWhale posted:

Let me tell you about the movie "God forgives..I don't" with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer.Its violent and not funny at all.But the stars were known as funny guys in germany.So they just recut and redub the movie and call it "Zwei vom Affen gebissen" (engl. : Two guys bitten by monkeys)

This

became this:

tl;dr: German dubbing sucks.

The Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies are super popular in Germany. The dubs are AMAZING (because they are over the top ridiculous). I think they originals weren't that popular when they came out but they were HUGE in Germany and that's why they kept making them.

I try to watch all movies in their original language (with subtitles) but I will always watch these movies with the German dubs.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mister Chief posted:

I have the opportunity to buy Drew Struzan's The Thing poster that mondo recently did for $400 USD shipped to New Zealand. It has been going for around $460 not including shipping on ebay so what do you guys think?

If you don't buy this I will mail myself to your house to slap you. That poster is gorgeous!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Cleretic posted:

I think Australians just have to accept that our movies will always look like poo poo from the advertisements. And will normally look like poo poo when you're in the cinema too.

Australian cinema is like American cinema's younger brother. Clearly looks up to them and wants to be like them, but just can't do it. ...Same goes for Australian TV, actually. Underbelly is basically the only thing we have that isn't shameful.

The Proposition had REALLY nice posters! Sure, that is just one movie but I really want to get people talking about The Proposition again. I love that movie so much.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't wait to see how the actual posters / promotion for the movie goes after today's ridiculous news (Stewart cheated on Pattison with the director of Snow White and The Huntsman, got caught, so they just went ahead and released public statements apologizing :wtc: )

I'll need a link. That sounds amazing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
gently caress me that is a great poster. I need it. They are launching a fuckoff big rocket at his rear end and he still gives no fucks.

No really, I need this.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

bowser posted:

Here you go:

Somehow, Bond looks even more smug in the proper orientation.

drat! I liked the poster before but this is just beautiful.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Baron Bifford posted:

Given their postures and eyes, I think all the characters in this poster were cut from other images and pasted together into one.

Lizzy Caplan looks like a cardboard cutout. What the gently caress.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Chieves posted:

Speaking of absurdly typecasted actors, Will Ferrell should really do more serious stuff. He's a really good straight man, as seen in Stranger Than Fiction.

I loved him in Winter Passing. It's a nice little movie with him, Ed Harris and Zooey Deschanel that nobody seems to know :smith:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
"Oh man first we get airdropped into France and now we have to wait for those guys from the beaches to arrive. This truly is The Longest Day."

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anybody remember this movie?

In Germany the DVD/Bluray Cover looks like this. Oh and they changed the name to Hangover in LA. :psyduck:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Should I rewatch Watership Down? My parents rented it for me when I was 6-7 or so because it had cute bunnies on the cover. That movie absolutely traumatized me :gonk:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Vagabundo posted:

Let's bring the tone down in this here thread.

Why? :gonk:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

scary ghost dog posted:

You guys really think Standing In Front of Something is a design trend and not a fundamental aesthetic basis?

The Stark Trek poster also forms the Star Fleet insignia thingie. I think there were several Batman posters that did the same.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Birdemic 2.0.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

FirstAidKite posted:

I have no clue what to think about this poster.

I swear there's something wrong with that cat (besides the fact that the cat in the film doesn't look like that as far as I can tell).

:siren: :siren: I just started to watch this movie and it is loving amazing :siren: :siren:

The movie is narrated by the cat. His name is Duffy and he is a human whisperer!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Red_Museum posted:

Winding Refn likes his neon.

The music from the Enter the Void credit sequence just started playing in my head.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress, I love Enter The Void.

Yep, but I really have no desire to rewatch it anytime soon.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Basebf555 posted:

Yea my mistake, I judged them by title, never even attempted to watch one.

They are kinda enjoyable. Tons of terrible jokes but some are just great and/or silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzuooxKRfyg

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Stare-Out posted:

I like his more "serious" or straight man roles like in Stranger Than Fiction, same with Steve Carell, but I can't stand one second of their comedies.

I'm always surprised that seemingly no one has seen Winter Passing. I really like his role in that movie.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite part of that poster is how they show him cutting up the other guns in such a way as to disable them, except for the shotguns which will still be perfectly able to shoot.

Every god drat time this poster comes up someone points this out.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

tliil posted:

The impression I got from the Ender's Game trailer is that they have no idea how to market the thing. The posters reinforce that belief.

To be fair it really shouldn't have been made into a movie, there's not a big enough audience to justify a large sci-fi movie budget. The numbers never added up.

That trailer was weird. Bookspoiler: They put Ender blowing up the Bugger home planet in the loving trailer :psyduck:

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

I love this one. It's a shame that the movie wasn't very good :smith:.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Those True Detective posters are especially disappointing since it's such a visually stunning show. It shouldn't be hard to make a good poster from it.

Just put the head with the roads from the intro on a poster.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

riversarl posted:

Is this the one where a dude's ding-dong is ripped off?

You are thinking about Castle Freak. And unfortunately there is no ding-dong ripping in Castle Freak. Still a fun movie.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Sleeveless posted:

Johnny Depp is The Dreamworks Face in gently caress You, It's January

Pro read.

I don't know anything about this movie but gently caress this movie. I hope it burns in hell. At least the terrible name+posters have an effect. Probably not the desired effect but hey, take what you can get!

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

....Val Kilmer's a Christian Scientist? :stare:

Jesus....

Welp, now I feel sorry for him :(.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
He will stop making stuff like Soderbergh stopped making stuff i.e. he will move to TV and do some of the best poo poo he has ever done.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

The MSJ posted:

The unexpected Xtro sequel.

Huh, someone watched Night of the Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mr. Squishy posted:

You just aren't appreciating how much everything will change.

Cars 3 is actually a gritty remake of Le Mans.