Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Apple Craft posted:

Killing off (what your audience would view as) your main protagonist before the end of the series goes against expectations. What were your thoughts about this from a storytelling perspective?

We felt that basically from the beginning that Jay was a poo poo detective and someone that wasn't competent enough to get himself out unscathed after a certain point. It felt like the most realistic outcome to have Jay die and would probably happen before any final confrontation even occurred. We toyed with having it all happen in the last episode but felt better about killing him with relatively little fanfare because Alex already tried the monologue route and it didn't work. At that point it was about efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

birdlaw posted:

So was Jay being a huge idiot fuckup supposed to be his character from the start, or did it just work out better that way?

He was fine as long as he was just watching tapes. It was when he had to actually get away from his computer that things would always go wrong. I liked Jay, but he had the fatal flaw of being bad at a lot of things.

e: mainly self-preservation

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

More Nature Breaks?

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012
The model/prop for The Operator looked like it changed between seasons. Did you use different models/props for each season or did you improve on the first season's?

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

phenom64 posted:

The model/prop for The Operator looked like it changed between seasons. Did you use different models/props for each season or did you improve on the first season's?

The method for the operator has stayed constant with the exception of the first few entries. We did optimize it a bit between the first and second season. I don't want to say much about it but I will say that it has never been a mannequin.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
How many times did you guys get dicked over by the GoPro's lovely battery life?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me about that dumb post about Google+? (nobody actually uses g+)

KTBush
Sep 22, 2012
So Jeff of EMH released a short zombie comedy film (w/commentary of him and Evan) that pre-dates EMH by a few months. It has all the main cast members of EMH in it.

http://youtu.be/DTdYdjjrL9w

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Robot Randy posted:

How many times did you guys get dicked over by the GoPro's lovely battery life?

Troy is pretty diligent about making sure everything is fully charged all the time. We had more issues with the main camera, actually. We had at least one time where the camera dying cut shooting short.

Necros posted:

will you ever find it in your heart to forgive me about that dumb post about Google+? (nobody actually uses g+)

I don't remember the joke so water under the bridge?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

404notfound posted:

More Nature Breaks?

This is the most pressing question and it's a crime that it has been ignored.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What was the deal with the operator? How did he become the operator? What did he do with all those people Alex killed?

I wish these questions were answered in the series.

No I don't.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

MeccaPrime posted:

This is the most pressing question and it's a crime that it has been ignored.

Oh oops, yeah we are doing more Nature Breaks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Thank loving god.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KicksYouInHalf posted:

The one good thing to come from all this.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What was the reasoning for less operator hiding in the background? I really like the where's waldo searches for it in the background, but we saw a lot less of him in seasons 2+3.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

phenom64 posted:

So Jeff of EMH released a short zombie comedy film (w/commentary of him and Evan) that pre-dates EMH by a few months. It has all the main cast members of EMH in it.

http://youtu.be/DTdYdjjrL9w

I'm pretty sure this is 30 minutes of Jeff and Evan laughing at Jeff's little brother

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

Why is your posture so good? (Joseph/Alex).

This is an actual question I love watching you walk.

I'm convinced it has something to do with band because Joseph and Troy both have excellent posture compared to mine.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

What was the reasoning for less operator hiding in the background? I really like the where's waldo searches for it in the background, but we saw a lot less of him in seasons 2+3.

We wanted to try new things, basically.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I had no idea your username was Tim Burns Effect, but I love it! How much did you enjoy the sideburn analysis from the original thread?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

We kind of thought that "Masky"'s identity would be obvious from the start (because of said sideburns), but after seeing all the analysis we just kind of took the attitude of "WHO COULD IT BE?!?!?!" and ran with it.

Also my username was supposed to be a dumb avatar combo pun where my avatar would be a Ken Burns Effect zoom in onto a picture of my sideburns but i couldn't get the gif small enough so here i am i guess

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Can Troy go back and edit the gazebo scenes so that you're vaping instead of smoking a cigarette as a DVD extra?

E: Nevermind don't I think I'm going to use that for the beerboyz finale.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

are you saying you WANT us to george lucas the DVDs? because we totally could

edit: it was REALLY tempting to update the distortion effects for the S1 dvd but i told Troy we should leave it as is

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If this was a few years ago releasing the DVD entries with slight edits would have drove everyone insane.

The good old days :allears:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

beerboyz finale

go on :allears:

edit:

Lt_Tofu posted:

The best troll answer to this would be a deadpan "he is in every entry".

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 20, 2014

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I think the only change we made for the new DVD was a still frame of distortion at 0:54 of Entry #22, we couldn't get it to look right in the widescreen aspect ratio so we just deleted it. Everything else is exactly the same.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 20, 2014

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Docjowles posted:

The best troll answer to this would be a deadpan "he is in every entry".

Had to resist a strong desire to look out the window just now.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I can't loving wait to find out what happens next. NOT.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

circ dick soleil posted:

I can't loving wait to find out what happens next. NOT.

haha its over bitch. you looking stupid as hell right now.

look at this fool that doesnt watch the videos!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Necros posted:

haha its over bitch. you looking stupid as hell right now.

look at this fool that doesnt watch the videos!

lmao

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Will the details of how you made the Operator ever be released to the public?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Speaking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UVl5FBWlU

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Will the details of how you made the Operator ever be released to the public?

I believe they answered this on Reddit and said it was one thing they would purposely never do.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

FoglyOgly posted:

I believe they answered this on Reddit and said it was one thing they would purposely never do.

...and introducing Slender Man as "The Operator"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

That look into the camera is fantastic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow, I didn't think they would put slender man in the Nature Break videos but I guess I was wrong.

edit: Because I know someone is going to check: Please don't scan every frame of the Nature Break videos for slender man.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

what a laugh riot. a rock pillow? sheesh!

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

bunky posted:

what a laugh riot. a rock pillow? sheesh!

you go make a funny. you.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I love nature break just as much as the next guy, but it always reminds me too much of the same-exact-joke series that Cracked did.

http://www.cracked.com/video_18528_the-least-scientific-nature-documentary-ever.html

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71SL7hPrB8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I had no idea Jay and Tim had last names.

• Locked thread