Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Maskies are I think just wildcards, but they may in fact be TO's agents.

My theory so far: The maskies have *weird* brain chemistry. Instead of falling under TO's control, they develop secondary personalities. Basically disassociate identity disorder. As has been said, Tim has been seeing TO all his life, meaning he was infected without any prior cause. Perhaps, TO is only visible by people with certain brain chemistry, unless the individual has been made aware and believe he exists. Cameras show him because it has no will, and is artificial. Seeing him on camera however generally leaves people believing that 'something' was there, so the infection spreads.

As for their intentions: I don't know what their intentions are, but it is entirely plausible that they are not as benevolent as they seem. While they have been shown trying to aid J, and save Jessica, we don't know for what purpose, and we may never know. For all we know they truly believe that they can fight the operator, and are trying to keep the major players alive to continue to try and do that. That also might be why Skimasky was having a hard time pulling the trigger on Alex. If skimasky really hated Alex as much as we believe, he/she/it wouldn't have had any trouble pulling the trigger before TO popped up to save the day.

Edit: sorry, I re-did a bit and made it easier to read/parse, as well as expanded on my own personal theories.

I'm kinda there with ya on the second part but I think the maskies are broken/corrupted personalities, and that they view Jay and Jessica as the same as them and possibly were trying to get them into the woods to get masked up as well. It's still them in some way, but just corrupted from slender sickness at various times but still trying to fight TO/Alex I'm basing this mostly on the one TTA video that had that picture of Jay being torn up and continuously with the "YOU ARE BROKEN" text popping in and also the theory that TO can only mess you up if it can see your face and the masks are designed to fight that if that theory is still in the cards. It would also explain why Tim, Jay, and Skimasky all take the same pills, and why Tim was looking out for Jay and Skimasky "helping".

Last edit: I'm still on the skimasky is Brian train. He was slendered as well and hasn't been seen since getting dragged through the abandoned place, and if my memory from season one's correct, Jay went to his house to try to find him and instead encountered Tim. Maybe Tim was waiting for Brian to get him masked up.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

I suspect that is the case. Maybe TO is eating their bodies, or just simply shoving it into some other extra-dimensional space or some BS like that. We've never seen a living person taken, but that doesn't particularly mean that it can't happen.

Tim got taken through it in entry 65, he even saw the body of the one guy Alex brained but he came out of it so it's safe to say TO can teleport just about anyone, living or dead.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
That or maybe it's "harder" for The Operator to keep someone living in the slenderverse. Perhaps being in there too long is what gives them the broken/corrupted personalities, as Tim's face started becoming contorted and distorted while in there.

Also going back to what someone said earlier about Jay possibly being the bad guy in all this, I doubt it, but he, along with Alex and Tim have all been behind the camera and both of them were shown to be lying while being narrators (Tim more out of necessity than Alex), and TTA has called Jay out on withholding/omitting information, so while I don't think he'll become the villain, he could be called an unreliable narrator though, like both Tim and Alex and could be hiding something still.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 16, 2013

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

The Rokstar posted:

Dark Harvest may be a bunch of entries of kids yelling "gently caress" everywhere, but they do have an interesting story going at least. Or maybe I just have a very low bar for internet video series, I don't know.

Really what did it in for me towards Dark Harvest was them explaining their TTA as a Slender Cult. I get it that since MH started everyone needs their own TTA but atleast with the original, there's still an air of mystery in regards to TTA's role within the film's story/world. Dark Harvest instead went "we worship Slender Man as an egyptian god and have all these godawful rites and what not and wear masks cause Marble Hornets did it first." which made me go all :rolleyes:.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 25, 2013

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
I haven't really kept up with TT after he got kidnapped in the hotel. Granted most of the big vid series have had some form of TTA, EHM had Habit, TT had the corrupted videos, and Dark Harvest at first hinting at the town conspiracy and egyptian mythology was kind of interesting, but after just coming out with it, the mystery got taken out of it.

Edit: Wooh new page! I actually like what MH did with TTA the most, along with people still debating on Skimasky's identity keeping TTA's main correspondence to the corrupted videos was the best move as it let the viewer form their own interpretations, and the vagueness played well.

Final goddamn edit: Thinking more about it, I guess my big gripe with Dark Harvest's TTA is that after the order started sending out the "by this rite and that rite, you'll die" videos, they stopped being interesting. TTA is interesting because of the videos and the vagueness of it all. Tribe Twelve's corrupted videos were really well done and had a good mocking tone. EMH's Habit had interesting stories. Perhaps it's more of getting a better actor behind the mask but the one decapitation video just made me cringe more at the guy making threats than the act being carried out. The final betrayal video was good because there was barely any dialogue, just a bunch of people chanting then someone getting stabbed.

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 25, 2013

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

Not sure if we learned anything new, but it looks like the TTA's targeted audience may have changed (or become more obvious). I don't think they're addressing Tim, J, or Alex directly, but instead talking to us (YouTube viewers)?

That or maybe after the last entry maybe it/they are reaching out to Jay(?). If I was watching right, the "liar" parts came up whenever it showed footage of Tim so maybe Tim (possibly along with Alex) is still hiding something.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Tim, totes not mad at all about the whole Jess thing. By the way, I have your copy of Sports by Hewey Lewis. I can meet you at the Slenderdrain to return it.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Only thing I can think of is an old bridge that fell out of use, or as an emergency overflow should a creek or something get flooded.

Yeah looking at the one video where Alex brains that one stranger, it looks like it's a runoff tunnel. Think he passed a creek that was right by it and ran his hands in the water in it.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Observer33 posted:

I'd rather root for Tim at this point.

J is such an ineffectual protagonist, now reduced to begging for his camera and losing grip on his sanity (what little there is left of it). Every flaw of his that Tim castagated J on, watching and hearing it was so satisfying as Tim said exactly what I had been thinking. Sure, Tim has his own shades of grey but they're a lighter tone compared to J.

But I have a terrible fear regarding the final season: They'll end it on a cliff-hanger, leave everything unresolved, and the only way we'll ever see any real closure is to watch the impending full-length movie coming soon. If that happens, I'll be so infuriated and deflated.

Please guys, offer some form of closure. Even miniscule, it's better than nothing.

Tim bust's in to Alex's house, we see Hoody and the Operator there as well and right as Hoody take's off the mask the screen blacks out. The text "Coming 2015, finish the story" appears and that's all. :suicide:

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

I'm convinced both series take place at the same time in the same universe.

Nature Break is the documentary Slenderman is filming. Marble Hornets is the Making Of documentary for Nature Break :v:

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

For those who haven't seen it yet, 14 MINUTES OF FUCKALL HAPPENING AND A COUPLE OF COCKTEASE MOMENTS

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

So not really worth the time, then?

Eh, there setting up the big confrontation. Outside of that sone pictures of Alex and we found out that TTA coughs like a guy(?) other than that, not much. TO doesn't even bother to show.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah that location is pretty amazing. The shots of Tim in the dark hallway with the flashlight are probably the coolest of the whole series.

I mean sure nothing happened, but more nothing happened than usual.

Please, please, please don't let the next entry be nothing but J finding Tim's camera and then us having to wait another few weeks to find out what's on THAT tape :negative:

You just know that's gonna happen at this point. I remember when it was fun at first. "holy poo poo, they found a tape from one of the other dude's POV" like when they did with Alex when he brained that one guy. Now when they do it it's "great... Another loving tape" :( atleast the Tim tapes are usually pretty good. :(

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
My only main beef with the series (really, mainly in season 3, don't think it happened too much in the others) are the video updates that amount to a phone call and a "hey let's meet up at this other place, and talk about going to this other place." That and the most recent entry, usually the longer videos are the payout ones like entry 65, 76, etc. :(

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Goddamnit Jay, everytime you have a pocketknife or a scalpel you always get your rear end handed to you. When are you gonna learn like Alex and get a gun? :ohdear:

In any case, solid entry this time around. Part of me was still yelling "Goddamnit! Take off the mask!" But a good plot development and change around. Maybe this'll be related to the movie?

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
There was a creepy vibe at the beginning, but now most of the series' on YouTube have become either too convoluted or it's a game of "where's Waldo"

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
A 260 lb masked dude where the mask can barely contain the neck beard probably wouldn't be as menacing, though if he were hoody it would limit the suspect list down a bit.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Docjowles posted:

The guys posted another crazy rear end :catdrugs: video on their comedy channel. They continue to be a live-action Ren and Stimpy.

This is how the series should end. Have a 20 minute build of Tim looking for Jay, finds Hoody and Hoody takes off the mask to reveal that he/she is in fact a talking grapefruit.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Goddammit, Jay can't be dead. Without Jay who'll blunder into obvious traps armed with a camera and his good intentions?

Tim, although hopefully he'll have more sense to take more than a pocketknife to a gun/slender fight.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Damnit, reveal Hoody!

I agree, well done. I did groan at first that it was another flashback episode but it managed to keep pace and yay a couple of TO sightings!

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Definitely thought Jay's Hoody was the Hoody hoody, but it does make Hoody's appearances in the same frame as Jay highly confusing. You could say that Jay hallucinates his masked self while Tim sees him, but I'm pretty sure there have been entries with both Jay and Tim going after him at the same time (wasn't there one in the school where they stalk him together for a few minutes?) So yeah. Who knows. Good entry, though.

There was an entry of both of them following Hoody through the abandoned school/building. Though it could be a time/slender displaced Jay. We know Slender can also now alter landscapes or walking through the tunnel takes you to Slender Land. (Also we know it can distort the perception of time if not time itself, so it's still within the realm of possibility.) Though I'm still hedging my bet that it's Brian.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Correct, both Tim and Jay found themselves there after Tim went all Masky in one of the entries. I think it was the one where Jessica got massively slendered and disappeared entirely but I could be wrong. They definitely woke up there though in one entry.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
It's only worth it if the prize money comes it Bitcoin to really complete the experience.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
:stare: :stare: :stare: Holy Shiiiiiiiiitttttt :stare: :stare: :stare:

I know we all gripe a lot with the *walk around, nothing happens* entries, but as others have said, if there's one thing that makes this series stand out from the others, it's the editing. Goddamn. Also gotta say fantastic work on use of lighting as well guys. Goddamn. Might not have been a resolution but GODDAMN!

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah I might have enjoyed this if i had the slightest loving clue what's supposed to be going on at this point.

Jay found out Alex is hiding out at his old college, went to investigate, found Tim there and stalked him through some tunnels, waited, went back through the tunnels, got shot and then Slenderported. Tim found Jay's camera and strapped it on. There now you're caught up.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
loving CALLED IT! Kinda disappointed at how they revealed hoody but I guess it'll be interesting to see what happens next as far as showdowns go.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Hope it's a conclusive end. Maybe not so much a "ah so this is who the operator is" deal, but a "why Brian did what he did and why Alex was an rear end in a top hat." anywho, atleast there ending it vs "ok, let's do another video, any ideas left?"

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Oasx posted:

You can't really compare them doing Marble Hornets for fun, with no real story or direction, to where they are now. There are things to criticize about how the series has gone, but it is easy to look back in hindsight and tell what they should have done better.

It is also an accomplishment that they pretty much set the expected standard for Slenderman series as they went about it too,, whether or not you think it's good or bad is up to you, but it could've gone a whole other direction without them where we could be bitching about why some fat goth kid is the only one who can stop it for some reason or something like that.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

fallin1 posted:

You're bullshit!

I've got a secret! :D

Seriously watch the comedy videos, they tend to border on legit Ren & Stimpy funny, and Nature Breaks has its moments as well.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Didnt see this posted yet, nice little shout out at the beginning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hzb-gK0wVrs

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Lightning Jim posted:

This is not necessarily unexpected, but the media is trying to dig way into Slenderman

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/474190379202252800

This could be a great way to plug a Round 2 Uwe Bole V Lowtax fight.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
They didn't end with a trombone sound and a "Please don't stab anyone" message, worst ending ever. :colbert:

seriosuly great job guys, really loving tense, hope that was it and good luck with the movie

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 16, 2014

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
I don't know, I agree with those on the "no epilogue plz" side because really what epilogue or after explanation could they give that wouldn't piss us off in some way? We are goons after all so someone would nitpick plus this ending best sticks with the Slenderman mythos of "There is no set in stone mythos. Have a nice day and go gently caress yourself." Overall a great standalone entry on its own and if it's the end then I'm happy with it.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

I like most of the THAC stuff but the new guy is not very funny or enjoyable to watch. He thinks he is Brian Blessed, but he is not.

I don't know, I like their We're on a Quest! videos and Spacetime Express is a nice compliment to Nature Breaks

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 1, 2015

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
New THAC video seems to hint at the April 4th date or 44 whatever that may be.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Watching it now as well, jump scares ahoy but it's decent. I actually like their Slenderman. Look "real" in a sense.

Doug Jones edit: Not one of you were giddy with Doug Jones as Slenderman, for shame. :colbert:

Indubitable Leg fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 21, 2015

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
They had a similar teaser video a while back, could be a side series?

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
Ah ok cool. Didn't see Slender man specifically so maybe it's going for more of a Twin Peaks/Wayward Pines vibe? Since I'm guessing it's centered around a town or an organization.

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
New video up. Similar TTA vibe

https://youtu.be/lwOmZc-eVl8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indubitable Leg
Aug 9, 2013
You can't prove he didn't. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread