Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

magimix posted:

For those of you who own Mass Effect 1 via Origin (just in case the distinction is relevant), a question... A few times during my run, I've had a in-game notification of an achievement popping. When going to what looks like the place that your profile achievements are described in the Origin client, I see nothing listed. What gives?
I guess they didn't bother changing this for the Origin version. Achievements for the PC version are saved locally.
To view your achievements: Boot the game and in the main menu go into options.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kameh posted:

I'm really struggling with long cool down rates as an adept in ME1. Now, I could be just spoiled by recently playing a high level adept in ME3, and I haven't done Feros, Noveria, or Liara's mission yet, so i know it is early on. But a 45 second cool down for throw is just insane to me. Biotic powers feel more like ultra special but weak moves and less like one of the things I can use or rely upon routinely in a firefight.
An important thing to remember is that there's no shared cooldown in ME1. So while you're waiting for your throw to recharge, you can create a singularity or lift things into space.

The adept's skilltree can reduce the cooldown with 14%. With another 14% if you pick the Bastion specialization. And Biotic Amps and various armour upgrades have cooldown reduction bonuses as well. You won't be able to get it down as far as 3 seconds, but you can easily go from 40 seconds down to 15.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 13, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Karpaw posted:

Are accuracy mods any good for squadmates or should you boost their damage instead?
Accuracy, stability and weight reducing mods aren't useful for squadmates. I'd recommend damage boosters and piercing/shredder mods. Magazine upgrades can also be a good choice, especially on the Particle Rifle. For pistol/SMG users the Power Magnifiers can help if you use their powers a lot.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

magimix posted:

Is that a PC only defect? I don't recall seeing anything like that on 360.
Pretty such XBox and PS3 also suffers from it. That bug was introduced with patch 1.04 when they changed Marksman so it will reload your weapon when you activate it in MP. The AI apparently becomes confused when the ability is used with less then a full clip and gets stuck in a loop.

As mentioned a sollution is not putting points in Marksman (and turning of squad usage of powers until you can respec Ashley).
If you're on the PC you can also try using a previous version of the executable that doesn't have this bug, or mess around with a coalesced editor and other modding tools and see if you can replace Marksman on Ashley with another power.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 5, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yes I know that the guy having a piece of Sovereign in his lab was insanely stupid
It's fine, Leviathan introduced forcefields that can block indoctrination waves out of nowhere.

Alteisen posted:

I do wonder about the thought process of the star child, its to elaborate to be a lazy cop-out, someone put a lot of effort into it and was proud of it to.
To me it feels like the product of a writer who's completely stuck, has no idea where his story is going and in desperation just goes with the first idea - no matter how dumb - he comes across.

Also I wonder if anyone at Bioware is really proud of it. Bioware's PR seems very much unwilling to admit to having made mistakes. It wasn't until the marketing campaign for DA3 started that Bioware started to hint at that they know they screwed up with DA2.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Salis posted:

I'm trying to find a download for the Bring down the Sky DLC, but apparently no one gives a crap about ME1 anymore, let alone FREE ME1 stuff.
Download link:
https://help.ea.com/article/mass-effect-bring-down-the-sky-dlc-redemption

The "A code is no longer required to authorize the installer" bit is fairly new. I hope for your sake that means they've fixed the authorization issues the DLC could have during installation.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 2, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fetucine posted:

The new scanning system is pretty annoying. Worse than 2's, really. Can you get upgrades later so you can scan more than two things before Reapers show up, at least?
There are no upgrades for it. If you're playing on the PC, you can tweak this to be less annoying. If you're on the console or don't want to bother with modding, I'd just look at a guide that lists what's worth getting.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Does anyone know the source of the orchestral / choral music towards the end?
Pretty sure it's Armada from Two Steps From Hell.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

Counterpoint: the combat is only good on Insanity and turning it to easy makes it tedious boring poo poo you sprint through between cutscenes.
Counter-counterpoint: Insanity just turned enemies into bulletsponges and lovely combat gameplay into tedious lovely combat gameplay.

Mustang posted:

The combat in ME1 was fun as poo poo as an adept. You could have people/boxes flying all over the place.
Definitely. The best way to play ME1 was to completely avoid the combat and just fling enemies into space with Lift.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

etjester posted:

They didn't say anything.
Beyond "New areas!" and "New characters to fall in love with!", they really didn't.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It seems like a pretty logical inference from the way Karpyshyn handled things like the Exile's death and how TOR did things like turning the unknown enemy Revan was preparing the Republic for into just more Sith. :shrug: It felt like they were collectively trying to either undo or water down everything KotOR 2 established.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
Yeah, the Exile's death was written very poorly. But then everything in that book was written poorly. Karpyshyn is almost impressively bad at writing.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 11, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rypakal posted:

So, I've been running Wrex/Garrus on a PC achievement run. Everything has been coming up fine, and Garrus hit 5 missions ago. No dice on Wrex. Is this a known thing? Wrex joined me on the very next mission from Garrus, so at best he should be one behind. Is Wrex broken?
That achievement worked fine when I last played the game. If it is glitched for some reason, you can always just use a console command to give yourself the achievement.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

I googled it and it's still unclear to me whether or not I gain access to all the weaponry with the Cerberus download.
You don't.
Cerberus Netwerk gets you the following 5 DLC:
- Normandy Crash Site & Firewalker Pack have no new weapons
- Zaeed - The Price of Revenge: Comes with the Firestorm heavy weapon
- Cerberus Weapon and Armor: Gives the Eviscerator shotgun
- Arc Projector: Gives the heavy weapon of the same name
Kasumi - Stolen Memory comes with the Locust SMG.
Overlord & Lair of the Shadow Broker have no new weapons.

You're missing several guns that were released as item pack DLCs. If you really care about having all of the guns for some weird reason, they're available on the PS3 in one package together with new armours as the N7 Complete Arsenal Bundle. It's really not worth the money though.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

On the topic of playing Dress-up DLC though, is there any way to get that N7 hoodie for ME3 now that it's years past buying certain collectors' versions of the game?
If you're on the PC you can unlock it with an edit to Coalesced.bin. This file is located under \BIOGame\CookedPCConsole. Open it with ME3 Coalesced Utility and go to:
biogame.ini/sfxgame/sfxplayercustomization/casualappearances
The hoodie should be the 7th entry from the top. Set the Plotflag to -1. Save and you're done. It'll be unlocked the next time you load your save.

Make sure to keep a backup of Coalesced.bin. If you're going to do any multiplayer, restore the original file first. An edit like this that only affects the singleplayer ought to be fine and I'm pretty sure there haven't been any bans for ME3 modding, but it's probably better to play it save.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aces High posted:

speaking of Jack is there a downside to sending the Grissom students out to be "biotic artillery" instead of supports? I heard somewhere if you chose the front line option then all (or at least some) of the kids die and Jack gets super depressed but haven't gotten to that point with my "renegade" characters to prove if that's what happens or not.
The only downside is that you get a tiny bit less war assets. If you use them as support, you get 50 assets and paragon points. By sending them into battle you get 75 assets and renegade points.

Jack becoming super depressed is a thing the extended cut adds to the epilogue sliders. If Jack wasn't your love interest, Kahlee Sanders survives and you send the students as support, you'll get a slide of Jack teaching her class. If Jack wasn't your love interest and you had the students fighting, you'll get a slide of Jack mourning at the students' graves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wouldn't that take you like half an hour?
About 15 minutes.:shepicide:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

Oh it absolutely was but in the context of doing a bunch of pullups for no reason other than to show Vega who's boss, that was as nothing compared to what SRIV did to you.
Really? Unless you're refering to something else in that DLC, the candystick doesn't take nearly as long the pullups (5 minutes I think?) and Volition at least attempted to keep you engaged in the joke with some text popups.

Though Laura Bailey's candystick licking was more awkward to listen to then Jennifer Hale's pullup grunts.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

who didn't feel a huge sense of satisfaction killing Kai Leng?
I didn't. I can understand people getting some satisfaction from stabbing the annoying twit and knowing you don't see him again from that point onwards. But I was just annoyed at yet another lovely attempt at portraying Kai Leng as Shep's rival by making Shep finish him of personally while going "That was for <insert name>".

I would have been satisfied if not taking the interupt resulted in Shep ignoring Leng and the annoying twit collapsing, and the interupt had one of your squadmates shoot him. Anything that would not have validated the whole rivalry nonsense.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Ignoring that it's the only logical outcome of making that choice, both thematically and within the fiction of the world and narrative that they had crafted up to that point, you'd have to be clear and away retarded to think that they were being spiteful by taking the time to implement something people had demanded in a way that made sense with the narrative they'd crafted, within their entire, huge, free 'apology' DLC.
It was a pretty common reaction for people to want to shoot the messenger out of sheer frustration. There were a lot of youtube videos of people doing so in the original ending and a fuckton of forumposts where people said they did the same thing.
And then Bioware decided that instead of placing a 4th button for Shepard to walk towards to trigger the Refuse ending, shooting the Starchild would be the trigger.

Sure, it may not have been actually intended to be a gently caress You. But given the context and how the Refuse ending is presented, you don't need to have "a complex or two" to interprete it as a gently caress You.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
At some point during development one of the ideas for the final boss was a reaperized Illusive Man.. I'm glad that got scrapped.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 8, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

Most importantly, did the Novera Paragon/Renegade exploit get fixed, or does it still bug your ME2 save if used?
That exploit in ME1 still exists. According to the ME wiki it's on all platforms.
It doesn't bug your ME2 save though. It doesn't on the PC and I can't find anything about such a bug existing on the console versions.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

7seven7 posted:

How does one go about this? I'd love another trilogy run-through, but ME1's combat is too much to bear. I've never seen options for armour inserts or level boosts in Gibbed's Save Editor.
ME1 cheat codes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zyntherius posted:

Is Wrex's voice character the same as Oghren?
Wrex was Steven Barr. Steve Blum did DA:O's Oghren and Grunt in ME.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is the entire game though. It's not just the Collector Ship. You spend way too much time after a fight just running around picking up spare clips so that you can handle the next one only to do it again. It's annoying.
At some point during development Bioware was going for a system where you could shoot until the weapon's heatsink is full and then either pop in a new heatsink, or wait until it cooled down like in ME1. But apparently this didn't playtest well. I always had the feeling in ME2 that after they made the decision to go with a standard ammo system, they didn't rebalance the availability of ammo properly.
If you're on the PC, you can enable ammo-regen with an edit to coalesced.ini

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Aces High posted:

what? When/where does this happen?!
Omega, in the lower section of Afterlife.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Byolante posted:

I am about to play ME3 again and don't have Omega or Citadel DLCs. Are they worth buying?
Citadel is pure fan service. Not necessarily in a bad way though. It's all about having fun with the characters, lots of inside jokes, etc. If you're a fan of the ME series, I'd say it worth buying, but play it after finishing ME3 itself. It works well as a sendoff to the trilogy.
Omega is rather mediocre. If you're okay with Aria's character and really want more singleplayer content, it might be worth picking up. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste the money.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mr crow posted:

Also, I think her dying or not dying is influenced on whether or not you imported a ME1 + ME2 save file
- If Miranda was't warned about Kai Leng or if you imported a save where you didn't complete her ME2 Loyalty mission, she'll die.
Warning about Leng requires you reading the dossier Anderson forwards you, before the second Miranda conversation on the Citadel (the one over the vidcome). If you've read it, Shep will automatically warn her.
- If you don't do the third Miranda conversation, or if you do meet up with her for the third time but refuse to engage her in that silly trust exercise and don't give her access to Alliance resources, she'll die.
- If you romanced Miranda in ME2 and then break up with her in ME3, she'll die. Breaking off the romance at the end of ME2 doesn't count, nor does locking in another ME3 romance option before breaking up with Miranda. Only picking the "it's over" dialogue option during one of the Citadel conversations counts (I think the third one?).
- During the confrontation with Henry Lawson if you can't pass the reputation check and don't take the Renegade interrupt, Miranda & Henry will kill each other.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It's be perfect precisely because she's not a credible threat. That would annoy the player when she beats you in a cutscene anyway, and make it satisfying to kill her at the end.
You do realize that what you're describing is Kai Leng, but with another character skin stapled onto him?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

There are three flags. Charm, Intimidate and the middle one. Middle he goes and gets himself killed. I have two flags checked. An impossibility, but a bug.
That's Bioware's save import for you.
Do you have a save from before you went to Ilium? If so, try fixing the flags in that one and see if Conrad shows up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psion posted:

I'm pretty sure this is correct. It reads in all the ME1 import choices at the start of a game - one of the first things Miranda and TIM say is a direct reference to an import variable. Any edits you want to try and make on the fly have to be the ME2 variables.
In my experience you can edit all the ME1 flags in an ongoing game just fine. You just have to do it before those flags become relevant. So if you want to tweak Conrad, you have to do it before the game loads Ilium.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

The worst was the Krogan science doctor in ME2 whose entire personality was "science is poo poo I'd much rather be shooting guns." That was the most wasted opportunity I've ever seen with regards to fleshing out a fantasy race.
Actually that guy loved science. Just the kind that produced big explosions. He was grumpy because Wrex had him working on stuff like agriculture and medicine.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

I'm sure this question gets asked often. I finally started playing ME3 after playing the first two ages ago. Is there a config fix so that I can bind confirm or skip dialog to something other than spacebar?
Grab a coalesced editor.
Browse to \Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole and make a backup of coalesced.bin before you start to mess with it.
Now open up coalesced.bin and go to bioinput -> sfxgame -> sfxgamemodeconversation and under bindings replace the SpaceBar key that's bound to the ConvSkip command with whatever key you'd like it to be.
Save the file and you're done.

If you want to get fancy, you could replace the old ConvSkip command with this:
( Name="SpaceBar", Command="set BioConversationController m_bSkipRequested true | OnRelease set BioConversationController m_bSkipRequested false")
That should make it so you won't accidentally select the wrong dialogue option when you want to skip stuff.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sphinx posted:

From reading reviews, it seems Omega is all about the action but has no effect on the story, while Leviathan doesn't have as much action, but has a great story. Is this true?
"Great" would be the last thing I'd call Leviathan's story. But it does add some plot that makes it so the base game's ending doesn't come completely out of left field. It doesn't improve anything about the ending, but you'll at least have an idea who the character that will be throwing bullshit and nonsense at you is.
Gameplay wise it's not that good, but it does have cool looking levels at least.

Omega is basically a separate story that has Shep & Aria cavorting around on Omega and shooting up Cerberus dudes. The only connection to the base game are the resources you'll get for completing it. It also has Aria potentially being affected by Shep's paragon vibes and becoming less evil'ish.
If you want more single player content, Omega does have some pretty decent combat encounters.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Furism posted:

For some reasons I decided to replay M2 a third time, this time using an rear end in a top hat FemShep. Is there a quick guide somewhere to get the worst but successful ending? By that I mean that Shepard survives but most of the crew dies. IIRC only two crew members need to survive the final assault, but I'm not sure how to make all the right decisions leading up to that.
Would this be helpful?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I can't decide if it's better or worse than the candy cane door in the Saints Row 4 DLC.
I'd call it worse. Citadelīs pull-ups take about 15 minutes and there's no reason to do it. There's isn't even a joke when you get to the end of it.
The candystick licking takes "just" 5 minutes and while the joke isn't really funny, at least Volition tried to keep you engaged in it with some text popups.

That said, Laura Bailey's candystick licking was more awkward to listen to then Jennifer Hale's pull-up grunts.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

uaciaut posted:

First impression is that a shitload of abilities are good and i have a really difficult time deciding what to pick.
At level 60 (which if you import a ME2 save you will reach) Shep will have 181 points (enough to max out 8 powers leaving 13 points available) and squadmates will have 90 points (enough to max out 4 of their 5 powers and level the 5th up to rank 3).
So go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ashley's character didn't have an arc. It's more that she was written rather inconsistently in ME1. When Ashley talked about not trusting aliens, she was expressing distrust of other nations. Which isn't racist... speciest whatever.
But then all of a sudden she compared aliens to animals. And well...:shrug:

• Locked thread