Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Okay, where the hell did this come from? It looks loving amazing.

It seems like every time I turn around now I'm looking at sequels. Mass Effect, CoD, Battlefield, Elder Scrolls--the list goes on longer than one of my dad's air force stories.

A whole new IP? Sandbox levels? An interview where one of the developers mentions Thief players? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations low about this, but everything I see about it is chipping away at my resolve.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
If they want to make money on this, stealth has to be a choice, not a mandate. I mean, there's a reason Looking Glass went under, and it wasn't because they made lovely games.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Party Plane Jones posted:

Uh, Looking Glass went under not because of how badly their flagship series sold, but because they couldn't get money to produce new games from their publisher (Eidos) at the time because they were tied up with Daikatana.

Hm, I'd always thought it was because Thief wasn't the moneymaker Daikatana was supposed to be. If that isn't the case, my bad.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a big post-mortem article about how their self-published games sold like dog poo poo and they got continually hosed over by publishers backing out but I'll be honest: Eidos going through Daikatana's shitstorm and not being able to get banking did more to close Looking Glass than anything else.
http://ttlg.com/articles/lgsclosing.asp

Holy poo poo dude, this is interesting as hell, thanks

edit: finished the article. You were right, my bust. It actually makes me glad to read that Thief sold like it did. :unsmith:

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 20, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Relaxodon posted:

Thief: Deadly Shadows is worth it for the Shalebridge Cradle mission alone. The First two beat it overall, thou.

The Cradle's definitely the centerpiece, but there were some goddamned fun other missions, too. I'm in particular thinking of the Museum and The House of the Widow Moira.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Resource posted:

Cool article on Sneaky Bastards (The go to place for stealth games)
It goes into some more detail about various stealth related things and some of our thoughts behind how the systems were designed.
It also mentions you can turn off HUD elements like attention indicators and stuff, which should be great for the hardcore stealth/exploring type players.

http://sneakybastards.net/theobserver/the-man-in-the-iron-mask/

After reading that article, I want to say that I haven't looked forward to a game like this in years. Even with all the new titles out I keep going back to the old stealth classics (and some not so old, like DXHR) because there's a certain deliberateness about them I really can't seem to find anymore.

Deliberateness might not be the right word, but it's the closest word I know to what I'm trying to say here: 1) That the player has the option to be patient, and more often than not get rewarded for it, and 2) it feels like the levels are intentionally designed for you to enjoy loving around in. In this case I'm thinking of finding three or four (or more) ways to your goal, where each one feels unique. (Thief was especially great at this.) It's like the world's made for you to explore not on the level's terms, but your own, with nooks and crannies you find so far out of the way they have to be accidental, but when you find a reward there, you realize they are not.

I dunno. At first I thought I was just getting older and maybe looking back on those kinds of games with those ever-popular rose-tinted glasses, but honestly, I think there's a charm to them that some newer games lack. They're fun, but you can't, you know, think up some elaborate and over-complicated plan with all your skills/tricks/powers and be a smug motherfucker when you pull it off.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Electric Pope posted:

This whole paragraph kind of feels like the exact opposite of what I like about the exact same games. The levels feel like real places that would exist whether I were there or not, and when I accomplish my goals in Hitman and Thief in particular it feels like I've adapted to the level, rather than like the level is making allowances for me.

That's a good way to put it, too, and I admire how, even in those little nooks, if there's something there, it's for a reason--like you said, it still feels like those places have a reason to exist. Like the mini-shrine to the Mechanists in the beginning of Thief 2.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Look, a massive Flash animated section of their website where you get to try out one of the traps in the game! Pretty pointless. The rats look like poo poo, which is presumably because in the game they move in massive swarms and the low detail won't be apparent.

Sparing them nets you a screensaver. Nice touch.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

the black husserl posted:

God, please let the players be allowed toggle off all that extra information. I hate vision cones even more than I hate "UI" based stealth.

Unless I imagined it, one of the interviews said something very similar: initially, they wanted a light gem but decided against it, instead using small bars over enemies to show their state of alertness. One of the developers went on to say that, for players who want more realism, there's an option to toggle it off. I'd imagine they'll do the same for other gameplay/UI options.

The first time I played Deus Ex and saw that "realistic" was a game option, I figured "what the hell" and chose that, and just for fun, turned off every possible gameplay conceit in the options menu (object names, crosshair, auto-reload, the works). It was so much loving fun I've never played it any other way, so I get where you're coming from.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

al-azad posted:

Sure enough, DE gets smaller and more linear as the game continues.

I seem to recall Vandenburg and Area 51 being pretty goddamn huge, but that may just be me

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This kinda shames me to ask, but does anyone know if this'll be available on Steam? I've tried to search the answer but with so many articles (and this thread) using the word steampunk, it's like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

KillHour posted:

I'll give you Vandenburg, but Area 51 was, while big, one of the most linear maps in the game.

You're right on this one; I went back and played it the other day and discovered it wasn't big so much as it was long.

But at any rate, while I'm kind of surprised at how spotty the pre-release marketing has been, I'm glad the snagged those two awards at E3. I'm sure it'll do well in sales (Bethesda seems to publish money), but I'm, I don't know, kind of disappointed at their lack of hype for a potentially extremely profitable IP.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
That wasn't anything like I was expecting--I was really (and maybe shamefully) hoping for a very slow, very observant, and very meticulous kind of Thief-on-expert gameplay, and it wasn't quite that...but goddamn if that didn't look fun as gently caress.

edit: after watching the whole thing, there are some really loving nice stealth features I haven't seen in a long while--mantling, carrying bodies, and no-poo poo leaning. Oh, and then happily pointing out that you don't have to knock out your targets; you can ghost around them. To maybe add a little to what I said before: it looks like a more liquid Thief, if you want to play it that way. Which looks pretty awesome.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 29, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

I still can't get over how Possession also makes you physically move with the victim, it's so counter-intuitive. Hopefully it'll get a good in-game introduction.

We'll discover that Corvo was a ghost the entire time. :ms:

edit: To be fair, it is kind of weird. It's a new mechanic that (at least in my experience) I've never seen before in an FPS, let alone in one revolving around stealth. But the avenues it opens for screwing around look totally worth it.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 26, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It'd be interesting if the game difficulty didn't increase via the standard tropes (lowered health; higher enemy damage), but instead the amount of hand-holding the game does for the player.

Easy: Painfully expository dialogue or notes (like the Hag's Diary in Thief 3), vision cones, and light meters.

Hard: Masked/allusory* dialogue (like the airtight/rat stuff posted above), no UI help.

Then they should just call the hardest difficulty "Legacy" and make it play exactly like Thief.

*yes, I just made this word up.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

DStecks posted:

The problem with something like that is that it can only ever work on the first playthrough, unless certain elements of the level design are randomized.

The randomized target system for that cathouse masque quest (or whatever) is what made me think of that, actually.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The more I look at Dishonored and the design decisions behind it, the more I admire it.

I mean, the Thief series--including the third--is one of my all time favorites. Besides completely re-inventing a genre (one that was, even then, starting to stale), it mixed a compelling anti-hero, a unique world, and an interesting story to make something better than the sum of its parts. It existed on its own terms, and rarely if ever gave up new conceits for the sake of an expanded audience.

And I know I'm not breaking any new ground here, but with the mass expansion of the video game market, that audience began to include people who, to put it simply, don't have the patience for a game where the goal is 1) to never be seen, 2) to systematically and incrementally explore every nook and cranny, 3) to think for yourself (some of those maps were worthless), and 4) to never kill a single person. Making a game with that kind of hard-architecture system in 2012 limits the market of interested people.

But on the other hand, having a game that holds your hand through UI elements also alienates people who want that kind of old-school challenge. So, in short, having the ability to customize the game to however you want to play it is something, I think, that will prove very successful here and that other companies will begin to emulate. To which I can only say it's about goddamn time.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

thetrin posted:

From the review:

I'm not entirely sure the second point is an actual negative.

If that's all they can find in the way of negative points, holy poo poo.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

I agree; first-person sneaking makes you feel punished for not having set your FOV to fish-eye levels. DX:HR had the right approach IMO - autoswitch to third-person in positions where first-person becomes awkward.

Garret in Thief 3 feeling about as graceful as a brick with cerebral palsy also didn't do stealth any favors.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

CodeJanitor posted:

For those that tolerate spoilers to see early game play and have a complete lack of patience and self-control (such as myself), here is a current live stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/muertevida

As of this post, it appears that the player is at a very early area.

I'm gonna play the living gently caress out of this, the way I stayed up to play Thief and Deus Ex back when I was a teenager.

Holy gently caress this looks good.

edit: wish this motherfucker would stop to read the books

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 7, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
not to tviv this stream, but this guy is the Kenny Powers of meticulousness and subtlety

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

NihilCredo posted:

I think you accidentally put in an Assassin's Creed disc.

I beat Dishonored in half an hour with my balls on the spacebar and my flaccid cock resting against W and S (and a little bit on D)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ymgve posted:

I gotta wonder, though, why they even let run-and-gun be a viable option.

To appeal to a broader audience. It's the same reason most of the preview videos show the player cutting a bloody swath through the city: the largest generalization of this generation of games is that they teach the average player that shooting is the only interaction, and that everything that isn't the player--or his squad--is an enemy.

I admire that they were able to cater to both playstyles, though. I know I'll probably do both.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The tutorial mission is Cragscleft jumped forward about 30 years in Hammerite tech.

Oh man, I'm so loving down with this

edit: all ui elements off, game on very hard, why hello there Deus Ex Realistic!

double edit: a subtle frob. loving fantastic.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 9, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Alain Perdrix posted:

I am too dumb to figure out how to holster my weapons :negative:

hold down your use key

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Alain Perdrix posted:

Thank you. Is there any way to holster one or the other, or is it an all-or-nothing deal?

Looks like all or nothing so far, but I can't quite tell yet.

That whistling sound? That's my gpa this semester, plummeting.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I never thought I'd say this, but as far as I'm concerned, Thief 4 doesn't have to come out. And if it does, and it sucks, well, I have this. Though I do miss Stephen Russell's voice.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Not to get all lit-analytic about this, but I do love how the theme of revenge isn't just limited to blood. That's what I was expecting, and of course that's an option, but there are some downright Count of Monte Cristo moments in here.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ImpAtom posted:

Trash bin just outside the HQ.

Unless I missed something, there's no clue that states it's a particularly safe place. I had to turn objective trackers on for that one :(

edit: Minor mission one spoilers, sorry that's so vague.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This deserves game of the year, no exaggeration. Every time I think I have something figured out, or think I know the rules, a new power or a new upgrade or just accidental control combinations open up a whole new way to play.

Which reminds me, the combo of "run behind a guard and powerslide under a short desk" option loving owns. :lljk:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I went very right right out the gate, hoping it was similar to Deus Ex's Realistic, and I'm not disappointed.

They're a lot more aware, and I'll admit the first mission was a savescum fest while I figured out the ropes, but now that I'm in high gear and building up runes, very hard is exactly what I wanted. It's hard enough for 1) your heart to beat when you're trying to pull off something slick, 2) that grin when you actually do it off, and 3) (and most important), it makes you take your time and consider every other option before you get too close. Just like it did for DX.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

1stGear posted:

Think I discovered a way to kill the first target without killing him personally: Don't raid the secret chamber. Spill the drinks so Campbell and Curnow go downstairs. Hide behind the crates but within range of the music box. When Campbell draws his sword, turn off the music. This causes Curnow to turn around and one-shot Campbell, while not alerting them to your presence.

Unfortunately, this was on my killing run, so I don't know if it counts as a kill you did.

Holy poo poo, how many ways are there?

I didn't even know you could spill the drinks. I darted one, blinked, and choked the other, and branded Campbell as a heretic.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Sab669 posted:

That's loving amazing, haha.
Also, what do you guys mean by branding him?

You can brand him as a heretic (there's a room next to the archives with a chair and an iron). Take his body there, strap him in, and mark him. It exiles him from the order and gets him out of your hair.

I love this game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ok, I'm throwing down the gauntlet:

This is far better than Deadly Shadows, just better than the first Thief, and on par with the second. In fact, it steals so much from Thief--in a good way--that it feels like the right kind of evolution for such a narrow genre.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

thetrin posted:

With the atmosphere, thugs in derbies, and names like pendleton and "tallboy", It feels a little jarring that everyone doesn't a British accent. Maybe it's just me.

Slackjaw speaking like Daniel-Day Lewis in Gangs of New York was a nice touch, I thought. The Hollywood-Early-American accents--not to mention the constant swearing--give the game a certain grit.

edit: I couldn't remember his name and Orv caught me on my ninja edit. :ninja:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Gyshall posted:

I actually wish the NPC and Guard AI was smarter. That is probably my biggest gripe. Like, I can move in what I would consider the path of vision of a guard and not be seen at all. I feel like if I was a guard I'd be able to see movement out of the corner of my eye, and these guys don't.

Also had to laugh at the end of the game during my lethal run, where boat guy drops you off at the fortress island, then says "You could be the worst of us all!", I killed him and threw him in the water. Then, during the credits, it shows Corvo standing over his grave. So cool.

Are you playing on very hard? Because I dunno about your experience, but they're pretty twitchy in mine.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Captain Walker posted:

This game, more than anything, needs a really good postmortem that addresses the problems the game has and a 2016 sequel that corrects them. If only Bethesda knew an ambitious company that was skilled at making sequels to other people's IPs :allears:

As much as I love Obsidian, I don't think this is the kind of game for them to work with. Not that I don't think they'd do a fine job with theme and story and character (because they always do), but the scope of their ideas is much larger than a stealth-based game can easily assimilate.

The strength of their RPG design is that you can make even the dumbest character with the most worthless set of skills and complete their games (and wander through their worlds) on your own terms. That's an incredibly difficult design to implement, and they (generally) make it work.

Dishonored is best when it focuses on one thing: stealth. Yes, the combat's great, but it also makes the game quite a bit shorter. It rewards being patient and meticulous, and it's a great design that doesn't really work in a larger context because the information you glean from the world almost always comes parceled--either by eavesdropping, reading books, or finding notes. Like Thief (and in some respects, Half-Life), the story drives the world-building. That is, if you hear about some really awful place, some haunted place like Shalebridge or Ravenholm, you're gonna visit it. There's no option. In something like New Vegas, you can skip entire setpieces. Obsidian's strength is in a kind of...macro choice, I guess, where your actions change the theme. They're novels in game form. Dishonored, as much as I love it, is a whole different kind of animal. I'd love to see a synthesis between the two, but I dunno if it's actually possible, given the constraints of the industry.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2012

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
It may just be me, but it seems like (spoilers for after Lady Boyle's Mission) Daud's crew has a limited peripheral vision (because of their masks) compared to the regular guards. If so, that's a nice, nice touch. Resource, can you verify that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Man, this is a whole different game going high chaos. I'm a walking dervish of death--sliding leg chops, adrenaline, improved pistol, time stop. It's just murder.

• Locked thread