Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Death to all who do not use ascii for their graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Okay we get that you wanna defend a game made by a goon and all but really this is getting rediculous.
Like we get that old games were made by teams of people but the thing is the art teams that actually made the graphics were usually fairly small. It's not hard to make art that looks good with limited people and resources.

Like I get that everyone's on this kick of 'art can be whatever you want' but at the same time it's just bad form to not put your all into what you do and atleast have some sense of standards and betterment for your work.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Just be honest it's because I didn't put any busty anime robots in there isn't it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

Okay we get that you wanna defend a game made by a goon and all but really this is getting rediculous.
Like we get that old games were made by teams of people but the thing is the art teams that actually made the graphics were usually fairly small. It's not hard to make art that looks good with limited people and resources.

Like I get that everyone's on this kick of 'art can be whatever you want' but at the same time it's just bad form to not put your all into what you do and atleast have some sense of standards and betterment for your work.

You're being really weird.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the recent wave of super tall pixel sprites with spindly stick legs and no border is weird and dumb but i respect everybody's right to their idiiot fuckhead opinions

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DolphinCop posted:

i think the recent wave of super tall pixel sprites with spindly stick legs and no border is weird and dumb but i respect everybody's right to their idiiot fuckhead opinions

Agreed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Coldrice posted:

Just be honest it's because I didn't put any busty anime robots in there isn't it.
There's still time. :colbert:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

DolphinCop posted:

Theyre oponions ar4 wrong

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

I think it's kind of bullshit that just because it's not an art style that appeals to you, you're saying he didn't put his all into it or has no standards.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hav posted:

He's conflating pixel art with 8-bit revivals. God help him if anyone starts emulating the ZX Spectrum in seriousness.

"One color? This is just lazy, there are literally tens of colors available!"
Why bother with emulation? They literally went back into production last week - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega#/story

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Colon Semicolon posted:

I think it's less that everyone is defensive and on a kick and more that you have brought this poo poo up several times and people disagree with you but you are convinced that you will somehow change their opinion by beating the same broken argument.

e: at some point just loving give up already, if you don't like something don't buy something or kickstart something, you aren't injured by bad pixel art being championed everywhere.

Also if you really want to hate on indie developers I suggest you get out of this thread and lurk this facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8117041572/

If you think Interstellaria has bad pixel graphics just spend an hour seeing all the people posting their inane poo poo there constantly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Look I get like that you like but like look I get that like okay I get.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ghostlight posted:

Why bother with emulation? They literally went back into production last week - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega#/story

This woulda been a lot better if it had the full keyboard on it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DolphinCop posted:

Agreeing with the fish police.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

That looks absolutely atrocious though
Why?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Colon Semicolon posted:

the same argument over and over again

Art is subjective, and I'm sorry it's so stressful finding out some people like things you don't like.

InShaneee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 1, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Like it takes the same amount of time and artistic skill to do some crazy Chrono Trigger sprite art and a flat shaded skinny leg sprite. I don't think anyone is going "well we have all these talented pixel artists and lots of time and money, but gently caress it let's do something simple and derivative looking". It's not a choice between art styles but no game and a game.

Since Interstellaria was successfully funded apparently some of us want to play the game with the art it has.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colon Semicolon posted:

This is a kick that you, yourself, are also on, to the point of being probated for it in other threads. Also, consider the fact that the creator of that game, that represents that creator's second successful kickstarter, is working alone with minimal artist input. And also that the creator is a programmer, not an artist. gently caress yourself for saying they didn't put their all into their art.

How many times do people need to point out how much of a loving oval office you're being before you ragequit this thread as well? Because that's the number we'll do it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I need to calm the gently caress down

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Its also worth considering that when making a game, everything is a tradeoff. An artist could spend a hundred hours on a sprite, but that would also mean that the artist can produce fewer sprites in the same amount of time. Developers must make decisions (both in terms of design and aesthetics) that will let them complete their vision to the best of their ability with limited resources.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Shovel Knight devs announced a retail release today, and they also announced the game has sold over 700k copies. Between the retail release and the eventual Japanese release they'll break a million, no problem.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speaking of pixel art, which may or may not exist(!), and Kickstarter games, watching recordings of people doing it can be kinda relaxing. I'm a big dumb babby who doesn't know anything about art or game development but it's pretty cool to watch, I toss these on another monitor sometimes when I'm doing other stuff.

Octopus City Blues, which is still chugging along without any recent news to report, but the pixel artist for the game has been posting a few of these to youtube lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4bQQFE14bk

Dropsy by our very own GaspyConana, he does everything by hand in what looks like an insanely labor intensive process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlP8qfKxuSU

Both of these look pretty great and are lacking in stick legs as far as I can tell.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Shovel Knight devs announced a retail release today, and they also announced the game has sold over 700k copies. Between the retail release and the eventual Japanese release they'll break a million, no problem.

I read the press release on their website, and basically every single comment is asking for a PS Vita version. Are there really that many Vitas out there? I know Sony had a write down of ninety odd million in Q4 last year based on Vita and PS TV results, but I don't know the split there. And I also don't know how hard the Vita is to develop for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a reason that modern pixel art is generally styled differently than 1990s pixel art: the modern artist knows how enlarged and clear and clean the pixel art is going to be on a modern 1080p LCD screen, the 90s artist was designing for a TV with scanlines and component video and TV screen curvatures, and knew that the details would be blurred and stretched and blend into the background. That's why there were generally borders around sprites, and why their colors and shading are more complex and painterly. The modern artist can get away with much more: one pixel eyes, or shirt buttons that would blur intro fuzz, thin spindly legs that would blend into the background. The modern one can be much simpler.

Different doesn't mean bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Memento posted:

I read the press release on their website, and basically every single comment is asking for a PS Vita version. Are there really that many Vitas out there? I know Sony had a write down of ninety odd million in Q4 last year based on Vita and PS TV results, but I don't know the split there. And I also don't know how hard the Vita is to develop for.

Vita's pretty straightforward to develop for and Shovel Knight is already available digitally for Vita but the viability of retail Vita games is not good - retailers aren't interested, cartridges are relatively expensive to manufacture, the install base is small and the people who do own Vitas tend to be digital-centric to begin with. They could crowdfund a one-off print run of cartridges if push comes to shove but a big mainstream release isn't really sensible.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

There's a reason that modern pixel art is generally styled differently than 1990s pixel art: the modern artist knows how enlarged and clear and clean the pixel art is going to be on a modern 1080p LCD screen, the 90s artist was designing for a TV with scanlines and component video and TV screen curvatures, and knew that the details would be blurred and stretched and blend into the background. That's why there were generally borders around sprites, and why their colors and shading are more complex and painterly. The modern artist can get away with much more: one pixel eyes, or shirt buttons that would blur intro fuzz, thin spindly legs that would blend into the background. The modern one can be much simpler.

Different doesn't mean bad.

However, it's bad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vita's pretty straightforward to develop for and Shovel Knight is already available digitally for Vita but the viability of retail Vita games is not good - retailers aren't interested, cartridges are relatively expensive to manufacture, the install base is small and the people who do own Vitas tend to be digital-centric to begin with. They could crowdfund a one-off print run of cartridges if push comes to shove but a big mainstream release isn't really sensible.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense then, these people are interested in a retail box for Vita. I thought they wanted a Vita version that didn't exist in any form.

I can hardly imagine, in 2015, wanting a retail box for any sort of software. Windows, I guess? Definitely no game needs one. I download everything, and I have the shittest internet available in the developed world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's basically just a vanity collectible thing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Memento posted:

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense then, these people are interested in a retail box for Vita. I thought they wanted a Vita version that didn't exist in any form.

I can hardly imagine, in 2015, wanting a retail box for any sort of software. Windows, I guess? Definitely no game needs one. I download everything, and I have the shittest internet available in the developed world.

While it is atypical, my brother lives in Micronesia for Peace Corps and he is excited by physical media.

Of course this is an island nation where the majority of residents have no running water or electricity...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Some people might find this update unbearable in the current conversation

quote:

Made the new ones in a pixel art style. Been a while since doing this kind of thing but it wouldn't be an indie game without pixel art. Here's a preview of them:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad I'm not the only person for whom that was the absolute worst part of that post.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey Coldrice! Remember when I gave you money during your first Kickstarter and I posted here about how I shouldn't do that because I was about to have my first kid and couldn't spare it but everyone banded together to find you just to screw me over? My kid is well over 2 years old now!

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 1, 2015

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

I bumped into them at E3 and they seemed like really nice chilled out guys. So nice to see them rakin' in the moneys :D

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"We happy few stretch goals" posted:

$315,000.00 Extra Uncle Jack Shows

More Uncle Jack! We'll go out and take an additional set of Uncle Jack shows, to be seen in-game. We have 32 episodes right now, but will add another 20.

C'mon you guys, don't let me get into withdrawal :choco:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

mutata posted:

Hey Coldrice! Remember when I gave you money during your first Kickstarter and I posted here about how I shouldn't do that because I was about to have my first kid and couldn't spare it but everyone banded together to find you just to screw me over? My kid is well over 2 years old now!

Ha ha I totally do! Time is going so fast it almost hurts!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nothing caps off a spectacular crash and burn quite like an even more spectacular nutball meltdown.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I was really hopeful for Star Citizen at the beginning but the feature bloat just makes it look like a goddamn mess. I just want a modern take on Freelancer/Wingcommander with the eventual option to walk around with my player character without all the weird "features" that Chris Roberts seems hellbent on adding :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
So that screenshot's for real? Glad I never gave them any money, and now I never will.