Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This actually does sound really cool and appeals to me much more than most kickstarter games.

That said... I just don't think I can donate money to a game that doesn't even have a proof of concept demo yet. As a programmer myself, I'm all too intimately aware of how impossible it is to schedule software you haven't already written, kickstarting games is in some ways a great idea, but in others a disastrous one. I need to see some kind of rendering prototype before I can donate money. It doesn't have to be done or even nearly playable but I need to see that you've at least considered the platform, engine, etc. that you're going to be using; if you don't, you're way too early in planning to be asking for money, there's way too many unknowns still. I want to support this, but there's just so many millions of things that can go wrong.

And some things like:

quote:

Future releases will feature monsters such as Gamera, Ultraman, Godzilla, Zone Fighter, Stay-Puft, Cthulhu, and plenty more originals!

How are they possibly going to get the licenses for those? I just really don't see that happening short of stealing the IP and making the Kickstarter a target for a cease & desist from everybody.

I mean, the Stay-Puft man? How are they going to get the Ghostbusters licence? That's impossible.

Now, I guess they could just do a "marshmallow man", but if you've already called him the "stay-puft man" on your drat kickstarter... seems like an issue.

I mean gently caress, they just link to Youtube videos of Godzilla on the site. This can't be legal.

Blagh, Notch mentioned his support for GODUS on his twitter, now they're using his picture and a caption on the kickstarter to rake in more money, I'm pretty frustrated by this. I love Notch, but I hate Molyneux, and I feel like Notch might be helping Molyneux pull one over on the internet here, since Notch is a respectable game developer who managed to almost single-handedly ship a game which became a huge phenomenon.

I guess maybe I've just got it out for Molyneux, but he seems like such a blight on the industry. He's promising this shoestring budget GODUS is going to be better than Populous, Black & White, and Dungeon Keeper combined, and its just freaking impossible. Comeon guys, lets not forget all the BS he promised with Fable 1 that NEVER happened (Even in the sequels). He just seems to be so completely out of touch with reality, in their own pitch video he's just like making up features on the spot and you can see the developer he's talking with is very uncomfortable having to promise features on camera that haven't even been researched properly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

octoroon posted:

Molyneux has a bad track record of delivering on his crazy promises, but I don't think he actually means ill. I wouldn't exactly compared Molyneux unfavorably to Notch, in any case. The two seem well-suited in disposition and capability; in another life Notch might have made many of the same mistakes Molyneux is guilty of.

Either way, yeah, I would have a hard time thinking of GODUS as a safe investment.

It doesn't matter though. Even if he doesn't mean ill, if he's that freaking incompetent and ignorant, that's criminal negligence at this point as far as I'm concerned. He's woefully ignorant of other games in development and his own limitations and the real nature of software development. Raising money from fans and working programmers to the bone while you fail because all you can do is promise things you don't know how to see to fruition is wrong in my book. He needs to take some time to learn what he can or can't do, he's costing people lots of money in the meantime while he pretends that he's Miyamoto.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

GODUS put out a prototype video yesterday: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/posts/370768

They should have just included that from the drat beginning and started two weeks later. drat, what is wrong with people?

The video makes a fun comparison with the Amnesia Fortnight games. They were both made in the same period of time, but this thing looks like a barely playable "proof of concept", whereas the AF games are largely pretty cool.

Yeah, honestly the video doesn't look awful and I'd consider this kickstarter if it wasn't for Molyneux's track record.

The one I was asking for a prototype video for was the Monsters Kaiju Combat one. If there was a prototype of that, I'd throw money at the screen. But without one, I don't think I can. Its just too far off.

octoroon posted:

Overpromising and underdelivering isn't criminal negligence. I think you might be a little too upset about this.

Its definitely not exactly criminal negligence, I was being metaphorical. I can edit it to a simile if that makes it more clear :P

He definitely shouldn't be in jail, that wasn't my point, sorry if I was overly exaggerating. My point is just that negligence isn't always excusable, sometimes you're responsible for it anyways, and in this case I think Molyneux had his chance to go "hm, perhaps I should rethink design before I promise things to fans I can't do, now that several games have come out that way" but he plows on ahead just taking people's money and promising more things that will never see the light of day.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 18, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

octoroon posted:

I too am skeptical of Peter Molyneux given his track record, which is why I haven't given him any money. It just seems a little disproportionate to be so angry at him for a game he hasn't even had a chance to fail at yet.

Its just as a programmer myself who worked in games and is trying to get back in games, its absolutely infuriating to see this guy pushing his team into crunch time and bragging about it on his twitter like that means he's good at his job, when it means the exact freaking opposite.

Hah, I saw somebody mention on the kickstarter "fursona?" I thought they were joking. :eek:

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

It's like early 90s game, except in python instead of C; everything is hard-coded right in that python file, if you'll want to ever change anything at all, even something like a spelling mistake, you'll have to sift through this file to do it. :ohdear:

Yes, but as FuzzySlippers pointed out already, when you're a one-man-team, things like that are actually fine. A ton of what you learn in software engineering / software management / computer science is just how to loving work with other programmers. All kinds of things have no bearing on the code at all but matter for style or for enforcing permissions rules or common interfaces, etc. to keep some intern from loving up the code he didn't understand. In recent years code has shifted from high performance to readability because of the cost of hiring a ton of high quality programmers to all step on each others' toes, Carmack spoke at length about this at the latest QuakeCon, about how readability and style are chief when you have so many eyes on your code, how static analysis is necessary because somebody somewhere is going to gently caress up your code...

But none of that matters if you're the sole developer. You can make "terrible" code that's fine. And its not really terrible, necessarily. (It very well could be still terrible, though)

That said, open source indie games like Minecraft and Terraria often are super unoptimized and badly structured, (I've seen the code to both; some good, some bad) but its not as bad as it sounds. There's a reason AAA games cost millions and millions and indie games just aren't going to be that. There's no point wasting time refactoring code to make more sense when you already understand it as-is and you're the sole guy working on it, better to just get it fixed and working. Making it cleaner for future maintenance would be nice, sure, but you're the sole programmer on this game so you've plenty of poo poo to do already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

swolf posted:

I am terrible at self promotion, but I need to post the Kickstarter for my game or else the team will hate me: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monochromellc/contagion

The game is Contagion, and it is the spiritual successor to the Half-Life 2 mod Zombie Panic Source. It is a mostly cooperative FPS, pitting the players, initially as a team, against the zombie horde. When a player dies, they join the zombies and return to attack the living. There is also a game mode where its totally PvP survivor (and you still turn zombie when you die and attack the remaining survivors)

Here's a youtube that shows off the main game mode, Extraction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KlCr7jjHKo

it's a blast to play with a group of friends.

The game is mostly complete, and we just need the Kickstarter funds to cover various middleware licenses, more servers ready on launch, and with whatever is left over to fund more promotion to bring more players online. We're launching the game either way the Kickstarter goes, but we definitely want to have as strong a player base as possible on launch as the game is pretty much multiplayer. (you can play the game on your own, but it isn't as much fun when you can't get angry at friends for letting you get turned into a zombie)

Opened the page, and you have actual in-game footage to show! And it looks good, too.
Good job, you're already better than 99% of the game kickstarters! :haw:

Especially since this is based on Zombie Panic Source (which I've played) that gets you some credibility too. I'm hesitant with video game kickstarters and have to do my due diligence, but I think I may back you. :)

As a tip: I would include some pictures of the in-game footage on the website. It isn't immediately clear that you have an engine and mostly finished game, which is huge. Some people may not take the time to watch the video. I think a few in-game renders would class up the page a lot, from what I've seen of successful and unsuccessful kickstarters.

Edit: Oh man, you've got some guys who did NeoTokyo on the team too? That's awesome. You should put this info at the top! Since you make such a big deal of it being a spiritual successor, it kinda sounds like you guys just played Zombie Panic Source a few times and liked it, but it seems you've got the creator as your team lead? Put that on the top of the page! (along with some in-game renders)

Chairchucker posted:

I don't understand what this game is about really but I have decided to back it.

If I had to guess, I'd say they really like Day of the Tentacle.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 25, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kepa posted:

I wasn't aware Kickstarter let you name drop games like that. Otherwise I would have called Death Road to Canada "Like Dwarf Fortress plus The Walking Dead plus Dark Souls plus Minecraft meets My Little Pony meets Homestuck".

I was a fool.

You missed the OUYA kickstarter, did you? :haw:

"Minecraft Starcraft DOTA call of halo"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megazver posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starworksart/universum-war-front-fps-rts-moba-rpg-in-one-space

This is all done by a single dude. No matter how the game turns out, that's badical.

I'm calling bullshit. Sorry.

I got all excited when I saw those screenshots. This game looks largely done! And holy hell, they even have in-engine video. But... even in unity, there's no loving way. They make it sound like this was started in the last year, and done by a single person only.

Maybe, using unity, a single person could program all of this, get an early playable demo out there which moves the models around. But art as well?! I mean just doing the modeling alone for all those assets would take forever, those are high quality. But the world, the textures, the animations too?!? You're full of poo poo. These aren't exactly crappy low-rez assets, these are very nice. That takes lots of time and work.

I'm sorry, this game looks awesome, but something massively fishy is going on here. There's just no way.

They've clearly got the assets though... I just don't know what to think. :stare: This is really weird.

As cool as MOBA + RTS sounds on paper anyways, Tim Schafer tried that. It was called Brutal Legend, and while the world and art was loving metal as hell, the gameplay was really weak and got old after like a day.

quote:

What inspired me to create Universum: War Front?

Dota by its MOBA gameplay elements.
Starcraft/Warhammer by its atmosphere, RTS elements.
Battlefield by its gameplay dynamics, FPS elements.
StarWars by its high adventure storyline.

:jerkbag:

Renoistic posted:

Aren't MOBAs kind of like simplified RTS games without base building but with more units? I haven't touched LoL and never intend to but that's what they look like to me.

MOBAs are really just team deathmatch RPGs. Seriously. Just think Diablo with a focus on competitive multiplayer instead of co-op. Much more like RPGs than RTSs.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 3, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Now, hold on. Seriously. I could just be quiet and play you for suckers, but we are planning on releasing things before the full game, one of which will be the character designer, which will have social media hookins and a central authentication.

It won't be a MMORPG, but it'll be a MMOSomething. That's scheduled for within the next year.

Alien Rope Burn: We may shrink the number of districts for quality's sake (We may not, it all depends on certain elements.) and the Sentinel+ import has to pass Legal, and is no longer a primary consideration, but it's still something we want to do.

But yes, good eye, that's everything.

I am so overwhelmingly split between feeling really awkward and feeling really bad for the coming crash :ohdear:, because I've been there (as have many other people in this thread who have warning bells :siren: going off like crazy), and extreme schadenfreude at the coming crash. :haw:

Seriously don't make an MMO, goddamnit. That's seriuosly the stupidest loving idea. Even AAA studios have no business making MMOs right now, the market is massively oversaturated and the project itself is practically inherently infeasible. There's simply no loving way it'll ever materialize. Ever, ever ever ever.

Listen to the thread. Make a co-op RPG. That's really loving good advise. You can even do the vogue thing and make it a half-mmo like Destiny or The District and have drop-in-drop-out peer-to-peer multiplayer, which for all intents and purposes gives the illusion of an MMORPG without almost any of the hassle in balancing the game and a fraction of a fraction of the technical support headaches. Seriously, honest to god, you need to do that. Give up on the MMO idea right loving now or your game will NEVER happen, 0% chance. If you make it a multiplayer RPG its still got its work cut out for it, but at least there's a chance you'll ship.

You cannot afford to support the servers of an MMO much less develop one. This is the cold, hard truth.

Otherwise don't say we didn't warn you :munch:

Warcabbit posted:

The User Generated Content tools may wander in an issue or two after launch.

loving :lol:

Never ever happening. I like dreaming about game projects too, so have fun, but please don't think this is going anywhere.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 7, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So, getting out of crazy MMO-land, is there something I'm missing about the Cornerstone/Tyrim kickstarter that's setting off warning bells for everyone else but not me, or are they just kinda bad at advertising? It's looking really iffy if they'll make it or not, and they're not actually asking for that much compared to a lot of others.

Its super indie, and the project is somewhat ambitious, so a low goal is more of a concern than a good thing. I'm not sure they could make it on that much money.

The engine looks okay, so more likely they will make something (which is saying something for kickstarted videogames) but it'll be very unpolished and/or very short.

I'm very critical of backing games that aren't made by experienced teams; I see one programmer on that page and no mention of his work history so... yeah. Sounds like baby's first videogame, and there's just too many mistakes you can learn the hard way.

It did seem pretty cool though and genuine. I wish them luck.

Although maybe its because at best its just a less good version of Wind Waker, which just came out in HD so why wouldn't you play that?

Bieeardo posted:

Super Monday Night Combat?

He needs to add in some kind of server persistence in the definition, and then you've got it. Also like less than 30 servers would probably be a good rule of thumb.

"Centralized servers which save and persist character data and support > 500 concurrent players" would be real "MMO" territory.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

So you caught the part where they got funded right? So they're taking people's money for this now.

There was another big MMO that made it on kickstarter too; a buddy of mine was ranting and raving about it. The one that was like copying Dark Age of Camelot? Those guys at least had experience, and its still never going to happen.

This is kinda sad, yeah. :shobon: people stop giving money to MMOs! The dream and the reality never matches up.

Even if you made WoW somehow on that shoestring budget, you'd still fail. Vanilla WoW would be laughed at and would fail today; you have to compete with WoW + years and years of patches and expansions. Good loving luck, that'd take something like seriously a billion dollars of investment capital. Not. Happening.

I wonder what it says about our society that we're so desperate for escapism to simulated virtual worlds. :smith:

You wouldn't believe how many companies have burned through millions working on MMOs that you've never even heard of because they failed in development. Then there's the ones that did finish but flopped immideately.

When it comes to MMOs, you lose no matter what. You either fail to make the game and lose, or you make the game and then quickly bleed subs and fail.

Even really creative, really original, really technically impressive new mmos fail.

The market simply can't sustain this many games that take that much time and that much money. Turning the MMOs free to play solved some issues but now they're all back to competing for that and its oversaturated again.

The MMO market is the last place anybody should be looking to compete in, and if you're indie, its a hilariously bad idea.

Make ANYTHING else. Jesus, do something original.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 7, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

While I do understand a lot of people's skepticism about City of Titans, I would like to point out that while MMOs are huge projects, indie MMOs are not completely impossible, although those are all the exception rather than the norm, and the scope is much different (well, I guess Love was pretty insanely ambitious, but he handled the content issue by making everything procedurally generated).

Realm of the Mad God rocks but is VERY limited compared to all these pipe dream schemes. (Its 2D, that fixes everything instantly)

Love is cool, but if Love is an MMORPG then Minecraft is an MMORPG. No it isn't. Also massive lack of having to build content (as you said, using procedural generation gets around a lot, but it also limits you. No way you could do the pipe dream stuff that they want using procedural generation, or else it'll be hella bland)

RottenK posted:

Does Runescape count? Never played it, but it certainly looks hella low-budget, and from what I heard about it, it may not be completely horrible too? Though CoT is much, much more ambitious.

Yes it counts, but its pretty drat terrible. Runescape is just the thing that your kid brother plays because he can't afford a WoW subscription. Anybody who has any money will be playing something else instead. Its the free MMO, so that alone keeps it going. But its not fun, and its fugly as hell. Super simple graphics.

Notice not a single one of those projects begins to touch the scope of what's being described. The requirements for the game as they stand require a traditional WoW style MMO which costs loving tens of millions to develop and another tens of millions just to support.

I mean if you're willing to change the requirements, I've played tons of indie MMOs back in the day; they're called MUDs. Those are totally doable, because there's no loving graphics.

You want a 3D MMORPG? Impossible. If you're willing to go non-MMO, 2D, or text-based, then its possible. But 3D full MMO isn't happening, ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Realm of the Mad God is one reason why I suggested they go 2D. It'd make a lot of the technical issues much easier.

But the main difference between those games and City of Titans is the scope of what they want to accomplish. I mean CoT basically wants to do everything CoH did, but better, and CoH was one of the better big-budget MMOs of its time. Whereas The Endless Forest describes itself as:

Even just a chatroom where you walk around in 3D in a city, can fly, and can use a character editor though is probably beyond the scope of what they can do, afford, and support, honestly. But they're talking about deus ex style levels with multiple paths... I mean seriously there isn't an MMO on the planet right now that pulls that off.

They're talking about one upping WoW with less than 1/100th the budget. Impossible.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Runescape started out 12 years ago with a much, much simpler engine. That's the results of over a decade of development.

Exactly. This is why even if once upon a time you could have competed with WoW, now you can't. Its too late. The market is way oversaturated, there's no getting in unless you make an absolutely ABSURD investment, on the scale of a billion dollars.

The current Runescape is the 3rd complete top to bottom revision of the game, much less incremental patches. That's 12 years of development experience, and mind you Runescape still sucks dicks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Our game is not going to be super enormous huge. We can't do super enormous huge. We know we can't. Sometimes the enthusiasm our team has for the game and it's potential overshadows our grasp on the practicalities of game development. Being a 2D game would be easier, for sure. I mean, in terms of gameplay. We'd be spending a lot more time designing unique environments because everything would be hand-drawn instead of constructed out of our modular building components, have an absolutely crippled character design system (attaching costume parts to a 3D model's rig is pretty simple and something basically every game made in the past 10 years can do trivially, making a lot of overlapping 2D parts work on the fly is basically a nightmare for anything complicated looking and why in-depth character customization didn't take off until the polygonal 3D era), and it would likely not support a lot of the things we want to be able to do, which rely on being a modern, 3D game.

You have no loving clue what you're talking about. :v:

CapnAndy posted:

cause seriously warcabbit you can't make an MMO, I get that you want it really badly but you are clearly not a programmer, and all your "should be easy enough" things and comparisons to end-user tools that teams of professionals labored over for years to give you just demonstrate how much you don't understand the scope of what you've taken on. Either you're not asking your programming team just how feasible this poo poo is, or they're goddamn deluded, and neither option is very promising. And if I'm wrong and you actually do write code? That's worse.

Have fun finding these things out the hard way over the next two years!

Cannot agree with this enough. This is a team of artists who are high on their own farts and they either don't have programmers or their programmers are delusional and selling them on things they can't build. Never. Going. To. Happen.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 8, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

skindepth posted:

You sound like you've been around the block a time or two, do you have any advice on my concept? We don't pretend to want to be an MMO, each game instance will support at most 20-30 people, usually between 10-15, and possibly less if there are AI players. It's a tested game system with a lot of the mechanical kinks worked out, so coding is really the primary thing we're working on, and we hope to have something plresentable within ten days.

You mention that being a programmer's first game is a warning bell, that's the case with us. However, this isn't an overly ambitious project. It's a fairly straight forward chat program and a fairly straight forward map editor, with dice rolls added in, and then some databasage and recording of character stats, etc. Did I mention this is also going to be a free to play game? So it's not like we're asking for donations to make something we plan to make money off of, I'm hoping if we can sell ads it'll be enough to pay for the servers and make the thing self sustaining. We also have plans for premium accounts, but the game definitely won't be pay to win.

Your concept sounds great, honestly. Its like 100,000,000,000,000 more feasible than the MMO idea, lol.
I could probably code your game by myself, if I was working on it full time, which is great. That leaves you room to add features later or fix problems, etc. You do not want to be pushing yourself to your limits on your first project, there are going to be lots of surprises anyways.

The game mechanics look pretty straightforward, like something you could implement as a board game.

In fact, if you haven't already, by the way, DO THAT. :siren: If you want to be a game designer, build board games. :siren: The turnaround for testing is SOOOO much faster, you'll learn TONS about your game and about design. Having to wait for programmers to implement your ideas to test them and find out what works or what sucks is too slow. You need to have a pretty solid game design in place for the programmers already, their time is too expensive. Some changes will come after testing the game, but do as much as you can ahead of time. If you're already doing this, then good on you.

Honestly your game idea is very feasible and a great project for a newbie game team. However your kickstarter seems doomed.

As the goons have pointed out, the video and the page itself are just kinda bad.

The biggest thing right now is the game is all programmer art; that's a huge turn off. I get that you're working on your beta, and its not fair to demand a fully polished game, but at the same time, if that's ALL you've shown to people, that's what they'll see.

What you need is a few mockup pictures of what the UI could end up looking like, along with some general art. You've got a couple banners and that one map and that's it, and they're buried at the bottom of the page! Put that map up top, that's your most eye-catching art. You need TONS more art like that. Even if its just concept art of dudes with swords and shields, that'll get people in the mood to then read about your game and give it a shot.

I usually don't kickstart games unless they look like they're mostly done, because its just too drat risky. Even if you guys have a feasible game idea, who knows if you'll end up making it or wasting all your time fighting each other? You're an unknown, I can't trust anybody on your team, so the game needs to really be amazing. You need something to 'pop', and right now there's exactly 0 here that seems fresh or exciting. Its a game, and it could be fun, but its meh at best. You need to add some flavor, spice things up.

The biggest thing is just the kickstarter page is way too bland. You need tons of graphics and a much better video. Completely reshoot the video.

Get somebody who knows what they're doing to edit your video, and then test your video on friends and family BEFORE launching a kickstarter. (whoops)

Ideally get some more art and finish more of the game before your kickstarter, but I get the feeling you can't afford to do that? Well, sorry to say, maybe you can't afford a game right now.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 8, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Well, this is odd. Square Enix is setting up a service that lets developers propose game concepts using SE's IPs. If people vote enough interest ala Greenlight, and there's enough evidence that they can actually do it, they get to take their idea to Indiegogo for funding.

Not sure what to think of this, honestly. It seems a bit unclear.

Tie that to a pre-order system where your money is your vote and projects that don't get chosen get refunded, and SE would be printing money. Just make your own internal Kickstarter.

Valve was talking about doing something like that, but they haven't yet. I expect the game industry to slowly dip their toes in that direction, what with how massively expensive games are.

Everybody makes sequels right now because they're too scared of failure. Using this system, you could offload the risk to the customers. OTOH that means we could end up buying poo poo games before we even know they're poo poo, but OTOH it means we could throw down money to make the games happen that we've been begging for but get ignored, and fewer sequels. More creativity and variety.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Axegrinder posted:

Something new in the virtual world/Starforge/Minecraft genre:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flixinteractive/eden-star-destroy-build-protect

I can't tell if this looks promising or not. It seems pretty but... soulless.

OTOH, they've got an engine picked (Unreal 4, solid choice) game looks good, assets look good, fairly polished, team isn't completely incompetent (although have on experience to bank on)

OTOH, they've only got a TINY tech demo done, not really much. And they're promising a lot. So, yeah. Its dubious.

I could see this one never finishing, but more likely it'll finish and be meh; they're trying a lot of new things and aren't going to have the time to test them and iterate until its truly polished and perfect like a AAA would. Its also possible though that they'll finish and make it pretty fun. Its a gamble for sure.

And I see what you mean, it does seem to be lacking in original flavor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Rick Johnson is a personal friend of mine I've worked with at number of places over the last... wow, almost decade. I spent 10 days this spring out there in Seattle with him prototyping some test game software for this project, and got to use it constantly. The version was around the 4th model you see in this image:

Hmm, I should probably read into it more, but my initial reaction is, its active shutter 3D?
How does that work exactly? It sounds bad.

The idea of Augmented Reality is hitting the point where its becoming really feasible, I did some work on it in college, so I'm definitely interested in seeing it happen.

Edit: Yeah, I'm really not getting why they needed to add active shutters here. Active shutters SUCK BALLS. And this is a display where you have fully separate views on each eye, the projectors are on the lenses, not on some movie screen. So why is the shutter necessary? They mention cross-talk, how is there cross-talk?

I dunno, it looks like you're wearing two sets of glasses at the same time. Its even worse if you already have glasses and have to wear these on top. But this isn't the final unit, so we'll see...

Still, how good the 3D works is going to make-or-break this, and I don't see myself wearing active shutter glasses for very long, they're rather uncomfortable; especially when you're viewing things in the normal world at the same time. Ugh. You said you got to try these out, did you notice the shuttering at all?

Oh, wait... so instead of just having 2 seperate screens or views, they're projecting onto the surface you're playing on?! That explains the cross-talk. But... ugh, that's terrible. Active shutter when you're looking at augmented reality and not just a discreet screen image... plus how does that work with multiple players? I'm really not convinced this is the right approach. I think something like Google Glass would be 1,000x better.

I mean even if cross-talk and active shutter weren't concerns (and they are, they're huge concerns) I'm not even sure how this is supposed to work in theory. If you're using the surface to reflect the projection, that means anything you put on the surface is going to get in the way. Whats the point of using a custom RFID game piece if that game piece gets in the way and ruins the ability to project the augmented reality?

I don't want chess pieces sitting statically in a virtual world, I want animated chess pieces which walk around and emote. Doing so in this system would require projecting on top of the existing game pieces, or simply using bases which can be projected onto as well, but that really limits you. Hrmmm.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shalinor posted:

God dammit. I hate having a programmer brain. The problem solving part shunts the rest and dives into "well we could attach an RFID to the back of the fleshlight, and you could apply an IK fixup for limbs, and I bet it'd look like X" and the rest of my brain is going "JESUS gently caress GOD STOP NO NO NO :psyboom:"

I'm having to install a filter on my programmer brain because its having a negative effect on my social life. :smith:

Renoistic posted:

I only ever finished the first Myst but never managed to get into any of the subsequent games. Wandering around, not knowing if it was actually possible to solve a puzzle or if you had to walk to the other end of the world first was extremely frustrating. But this was many years ago. Which game should I try if I want to give the series another shot?

Unfortunately that's just kinda how Myst is. Its both the strength and the weakness. They're really hard, old-school puzzle games. The way I played them originally, it was commonplace to just be completely stuck for days. That's kinda the appeal though, because when you have that thought one morning of "WAIT, what if..." and then that ends up working, it feels SO good. Alternatively you can just use a walk-through online when you get stuck, but that takes a ton of the point out of the game. (I have no problem using a guide for an FPS or such, but a puzzle game is really all about the puzzles)

The best in the series are 1, Riven, and 3. IMHO. I'd probably start with 3.

IV isn't bad though and is probably more approachable. 5 is kinda fun but also the most different, its a full 3D FPS instead of a pre-rendered set path. It lets you move more freely but doesn't look quite as polished, and feels differently. And the whole system of writing on tablets in a foreign symbol language was kinda funky.

Honestly though I love the series and I've beaten every one but URU. Don't loving play Uru. :ssh:

One thing I always loved about Cyan was their ability to realize extremely foreign and alien worlds, while still making them feel extremely realistic. Obduction looks to continue that, it has my attention.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 17, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

Before opening your wallets, remember that this isn't the team that made Myst, this is the team that made Myst V. I'm not going anywhere near this.

They've got Rand Miller, at least. He IS Myst. (Atrus anyhow :haw:) Still, a great point to keep in mind.

Also: The original Myst was developed as an Apple Hypercard stack! :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

Even in today's world of achievements and platinum trophies and highscores and poo poo, I still consider my all-time proudest gaming accomplishment to be solving that one puzzle from Riven on my own and without The Internet... when I was like ten years old.

It took a month.

It is a glorious puzzle. It's hints within hints within hints. It spans the entire game world up to that point. It ties together systems, environments, cyphers, lore and other puzzles. It is outwardly inpenetrable. In retrospect it is completely fair. And due to The Internet, it can probably never happen again.

I love how without you saying so I know exactly that you're talking about the fire marble dome puzzle.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Mist and Riven were completely incomprehensible for me, and I remember being actively uncomfortable playing Riven, like it was a horror game or something.

I think that's just because I am a huge baby though, I couldn't play through Dear Esther or Gone Home either. Let alone something like Amnesia and poo poo.

Its not just you. The original Myst was one of the most terrifying games I've ever played. Just being so alone... but being so unsure what's going on... the crazy moody soundtrack... those TRANSITION NOISES :stare:

The worst was the lighthouse in the stoneship age. loving creepy poo poo, man.

I also remember that one really cool room underneath the... I want to say second island of Riven. There's a whole underground cavern with some really cool foreign poo poo, but something about the whole place feels... wrong. Like you shouldn't be there. I don't know if its trespassing or what, but its spooky.

Man, now I've gotta go replay Myst again...

JordanKai posted:

Holy crap, Obduction is close to hitting the 300k mark and its only been up for two days! :aaa: I never would have thought that Cyan Studios had enough street cred to pull off a 1.1m kickstarter campaign, but its happening!

Yay! Uru was a huge fuckup, but Cyan deserves another chance.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

Well actually I meant the tombstone room but whatever, that one was also pretty great for similar reasons so hey.

Anyway, I backed Obduction after maybe three entire seconds of consideration.

Well nevermind :smith:

I guess that just proves that Riven has many serious puzzles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bitprophet posted:

brb, reinstalling all the old games in a fit of nostalgia. hm...realmyst or 10th anniversary edition...

10th anniversary edition.

"RealMyst" was a shoddy quick cash-in where they ported Myst to a full 3D engine. It wasn't even properly done like Myst 5, so its just a horrible abomination of Myst. Its REALLY ugly. :stare: And since being breathtakingly beautiful and aesthetic was part of what sold Myst, that's unforgivable.

On the bright side, RealMyst lets you walk anywhere, not just on the prerendered nodes, and lets you look anywhere, which can help with some puzzles (although it makes other puzzles harder, since your perspective isn't forced, you can miss things)

Really just play Myst (Anniversary edition)

MikeJF posted:

Well, they just mentioned on the Obduction updates that they're about to patch RealMyst to include a Classic-Mode where you move from point to point as it was in original Myst, so hey, nostalgia and better graphics.

Obduction will apparently have the same system, with the user able to select a free-moving mode or a 'screens' mode where you move from predefined node to predefined node. I'm really not sure about that; I feel like good world-design and user experience design would need them to commit to one or the other.

NONONO. RealMyst is NOT "better graphics". RealMyst is a loving ugly abomination.

Holy poo poo its SOOO low poly. It was ugly when it came out, and that was years ago. It looks like Quake loving 2. The original Myst, even in its terrible low resolution, looks WAY more pretty.

That said, for Obduction it'll be fine to have the free-moving mode. That's how Myst 5 was and if its designed for it, it'll work well enough. (I'm glad they're keeping the nodes view too) Especially since real-time graphics can do some pretty insane things nowadays.

As for doing both; Myst 5 did both and since it was designed for it, it wasn't so bad. As I said you lose something in that puzzles aren't necessarily forced perspective, but you can design around that, use tricks to grab the player's attention anyways. The bigger concern with that in Myst 5 was moving to real-time versus prerendered graphics.

I'm honestly a little sad they're not doing pre-rendered still. Making a pre-rendered game with modern CG on something like Pixar's level would look really amazing. :swoon:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 22, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sorry for liking jokes to actually be funny instead of "OMG SO WACKY AND RANDOM" bullshit?

I thought she was VERY well written (Go Anthony Burch and Ash Burch!) and the funniest part of the whole game BY FAR.

I think its more just not your style of humor, rather than not being funny at all. Hmmm? :colbert:

macnbc posted:

I disagree. I can play RealMyst at 1080p. Good luck doing that with 10th anniversary. Also in 10th anniversary they had to remove some of the music files to make the game fit on 1 CD. RealMyst doesn't have that problem. On top of that you get a night/day cycle in RealMyst that's gorgeous (just head out to the oasis in Selenitic and watch the sun set sometime. It's amazing.) where 10th anniversary is as lifelessly static as it ever has been. Not to mention you get the bonus age in RealMyst that sets things up for Riven.

Dude resolution obviously isn't everything. I can run something like Quake 1 at 1920x1080 and it doesn't look better than playing Half-Life 2 at 1024x768.

The polygons... they're just so sharp and garish. I feel like it has no art direction. We've both said our opinions on the matter though, so I'll just leave it there. Sounds like personal preference.

Thanks for telling me about the day/night cycle though, I didn't know about that. I'm going to have to go link to Selenitic indeed. :3:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 23, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I looked up screenshots, never having seen it before, but it looks more on the level of Morrowind than Quake II.

Did you mean to quote me? Yeah, definitely. I was just being hyperbolic to prove the point that resolution isn't everything; I didn't mean to imply RealMyst itself looked like Quake II. Morrowind isn't a terrible comparison, although Bethesda never had the best art direction either, honestly. The Elder Scrolls series is great for how big it is, but their animations have always sucked balls, and their models aren't exactly beautiful.

bitprophet posted:

Gah, sorry - I own both realMyst and MME, so the decision is merely which one I felt like trying to get running on my modern computers first :)

I don't think realMyst looked all that bad when I last played it a few years ago. Being able to run at a modern screen resolution & move like a "modern" first person perspective game definitely made up for any potential lack. Saw the announcement about the update & almost definitely gonna buy that sucker day one!

The fact that Masterpiece Edition only works on a Windows XP virtual machine - and only barely then (crashes frequently) means I'm gonna be trying realMyst again soon :)

Don't suppose there's any dedicated Myst threads anywhere? I feel bad gumming up this one.

Masterpiece Edition works flawlessly on my Windows 7 64-bit, never had to do a thing to get it to work, never complained, never crashed once.

Megazver posted:

Holy poo poo this looks really good.

Look at that loving animation you guys.

Jeebus, you're not kidding. That looks FANTASTIC. The art design is really good. I'm a huge sucker for smooth lighting across low resolution pixel art too, and they balanced it really well. AAAAAH that looks so good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm tired of zombie media in general, but man, that does look good, and like something I'd be interested in playing.

It does remind me of Project Zomboid quite a bit, yeah. But it also looks pretty cool, I'll keep my eye on it.

Hopefully they've heard of backups :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orzo posted:

I actually posted about this earlier this year, I was getting sick of all the stick legs. It was in response to this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jWYCXneCn8. There was a short discussion about it, some people agreed that it looks like poo poo and some people liked it.

I'm not crazy about stick legs, and I'm even less crazy about that strange not quite 3/4ths camera angle where you get a pretty good view of the head and shoulders but then it all tapers down to the shoes.

That said, I think Hyper Light Drifter gets away with it just fine, due to amazing art direction. He has stick arms too, and the way they're animated is fantastic. Because he hides them under clothing and stuff it works much better.

The other ones you've got, yeah, I could use with slightly different proportions. But they're not awful, just... not ideal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mpashanin posted:

Hey guys! I am one of the creators of Confederate Express.
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments! Feel free to ask any questions, and as an added bonus here is a sneak peek of our next update:

Goddamn this looks amazing :stare:

I'm going to kidnap your sprite artists

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Obduction's first stretch goal is... Oculus Rift support. Headsets are cool and all but I really don't get this. I can't see most funders upping their pledge unless they have a Rift or plan on getting one.

EDIT: They also appear to be adding localization for the Euros, and allowing the subtitles to be "open source" so others can go translate them into other languages. Memories of bad anime fan dubs come rushing back to me.

Eh, its something that should have been in the game from the get-go. Why would you make a modern Myst game and NOT target the Rift? Most games have issues adapting to Rift, but Myst is the. perfect. rift. game.

They just made it a stretch goal because :10bux: The real stretch goal is language support, which is nice and should hopefully bring in some international backers, smart. Opening up their audience.

Both of those are pretty underwhelming though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nerox posted:

This looks like Ideaman: The Kickstarter.

What are you even planning to use the $2250 for?

Indeed:

quote:

To create an analogy with existing games, the concept includes Minecraft style item combination/crafting, a set of objects as ridiculously wide as that of Gary's Mod, an ambiance similar to that of Borderlands, and a loot-generating engine akin to the old Diablo 2.

:goonsay: that's some videogames.txt right there.

Sorry dude but you'll never make 1/10th of the game you're describing.

"I've never made a game before but I'm going to make a game that's better than 3 AAA games put together, on a budget of $2K"

loving :lol: Even on a budget of $2M you'd end up with a lovely tech demo that wouldn't be more fun than just playing Minecraft and Borderlands seperately.

You don't even have a video? :stare: You should delete your kickstarter right now. Seriously.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 29, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

The two thousand is just for an alpha slice, to be fair. :shepicide:

And that's all it'll ever be, and nobody wants that.

:siren: Seriously $20 for an alpha?! Are you high!? :siren:

That's beyond absurd. The only game on the planet I'd pay anywhere near $20 for a loving alpha is half-life 3, just so I could post spoilers on the internet. Alphas are worth nothing, maybe $5 at most as part of a big Humble Bundle of multiple alphas, and its mostly about raising money for charity anyways.

You're not charity, sorry. Nobody's gonna just give you money for poo poo. You need a product. Odds are your final game wouldn't even be worth $20. I buy games on Steam on sale for $5-$20 regularly. Full, polished, AAA games.

quote:

Estimated delivery: May 2014

I'm loving dying over here. :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 29, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Rimworld by Tynan Sylvester is 3 days from the end of the Kickstarter, and has accumulated a staggering $192,000 CAD; the initial goal was $20,000 CAD, so he's been backed almost 10x more than he was looking for. He's been busy at work making updates and changes based on the feedback of early testers and others, and shares this at the end of his most recent update:

:black101: I can hardly wait to jump in and experience my own unique way of seeing my colonists murdered by hostile wildlife or starving to death in some horrific space storm.

I'm really on the fence on this one, not sure if I want to back or not. Its just Prison Architect in Space, but... that sounds pretty neato.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SaviourX posted:

That dude's campaign is bad, but

Congrats? Are you one of those dudes that go 'heh, pay full price for a movie/comic/book/whatever? No thanks, I'll wait for a sale or a big clearance event, beg me for your scraps, heh heh?'

If you are, that's part of the big baditude that's come out of buying things on the net the past few years. Pay full price? For what will still be a pittance to the creators? What am I, some rich rear end in a top hat??

The games industry is hosed and most games are massively ovepriced. Dude, its digital, all sales are profit and greater sales can matter more than price per sale; this has nothing to do with creators getting paid. A million people buying your game for $20 makes the creators way more profit than 100,000 buying it for $60. :eng101:

My point was that an alpha is clearly not worth $20.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Who loves Ghosts 'n Goblins! I do, and so do other people! That's why these guys want to Kickstart a new GnG game!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phantasmstudios/ghosts-n-goblins-demon-world

...oh. :negative:

At least the River City Ransom guys made sure they had the license before attempting their Kickstarter. And they managed to show a lot of stuff and even got Yoshihisa Kishimoto on-board. These guys don't have much to show at all.

... why not just make a game like Ghosts n Goblins then, if you don't have the licence? :psyduck: We've seen time and time again people on kickstarter get away with saying "I want to make a game just like ____ with _____"

I mean GnG wasn't exactly the most story-driven or unique game ever, its pretty much just "cheesy spooky action platformer shooter". You could call it "Bump in the night" or "Monsters n Mummies" or something and you wouldn't have to pay for a licence (or negotiate it in the first place).

:doh: No creativity.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 30, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm not going to try to talk you out of your "gently caress developers I pay what I want" stance, but you should bone up on your understanding of the word profit.

Correct, reducing your sale price to 1/3rd will absolutely increase your audience tenfold. This is why Battlefield 4 and CoD:Doge are selling for 20 dollars and are going to be purchased by upwards of 120 million players during launch week.

There's lots of games on KS where the cost of alpha is 2-3x the price of admission. If you enjoy the genre, the game, the developers, and if you want to contribute to the success of the project, then there's excellent value in an alpha. I bet you can personally think of projects where you'd shell out extra coin if it meant seeing your favorite IP/genre/developer on a new game.

There's no production cost and distribution costs are negligible, was my point. Really big name games can get away with charging $60 because they're worth it, they're the flagship games that have been advertising all year and took tens of millions to make. But not every game in the industry is a BF4 or COD. And if you look at Steam, they've found that most games aren't worth $60 but sell great at lower prices, even as low as $5. Now, they still release at $60 and do some pre-order exclusive shenanigans to squeeze $60 out of who they can, but they drop to reasonable prices within a week or two, that's crazy. But whatever, that's an argument for some other place. Back to KS.

That's different though. There's a difference between "$20 for the game, $40 gets you early access too if you really like us" and "pay $20 for an alpha, you get nothing else, we may never even make the full game and if we do we'll charge you for it separately". The project is literally the alpha, and buying even high tiers doesn't get you the final game..

Also would you stop with the "gently caress developers I pay what I want" already? I never loving said that. That has nothing to do with the point I was making and I would never say that. gently caress, I AM a developer!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Last call for PULSAR: Lost Colony, which already hit its goal; 16 hours left

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leafygames/pulsar-lost-colony

Its pretty much the proper Star Trek game that never was, by way of FTL mixed with Artemis.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue is less that the games they are attempting to make are sandboxes and more that they are promising to make every game mechanic imaginable or to give the players the dev tools to make them, the former being impossible and the latter resulting in a even mix of hackers and sex dungeons

Its called 'feature creep' and it kills more software projects than anything else. This is why I back games by people who already have a demo, and who have a clear design document with a goal in mind, and who have experience making games. If you don't have those three, then odds are you're just going to spiral out of control slowly until you die a quiet death. This is also why software management is a pretty serious discipline, and people who are good at it get paid bookoo bucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its Americanized slang. Yes, that's where it came from. English borrows a lot from other languages, and is constantly adding new stupid words.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main problem with games that promise "You can do anything, be anyone!" though isn't feature creep - because feature creep requires having features in the first place. Promising "You can do anything!" really isn't saying anything about the game, because it's so vague. If you describe freedom in an actual games, you usually say things like "You can kill any character without breaking the plot!" or "You can build huge imposing structures!". Those are statements that imply actual gameplay.

That's a good point. Not so much 'having too many ideas' as 'having no real concrete ideas at all'

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The worst thing that could possibly happen to Obduction is they'll relaunch and only get like $800k instead.

Yeah but I really want that oculus rift support stretch goal. :smith:

Although if they don't hit it, odds are they'll add in rift support later anyways... its not like its that expensive (seriously that was a bad stretch goal)

Would it look awkward to later add something in that was on a stretch goal that you didn't make? But, would it be worse to then not make that thing, just because it was a stretch goal you didn't make?

Kickstarter is weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Kickstarter isn't weird, stretch goals are.

:rolleyes: Oh okay, glad we cleared that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AlmightyBob posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1481457176/king-voxel

Looks like somebody never heard of 3D Dot Game Heroes...

3D Dot Game wasn't even the first,

Cubeworld which is the same thing but better...

https://picroma.com/cubeworld

Voxatron which is the same thing but better...

http://www.lexaloffle.com/voxatron.php

And there's more. :doh:

Orzo posted:

Which games? And how can they be assessed as 'really good' if they haven't come out yet?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think he means "have been coming out." Games like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky.

http://www.giantbomb.com/voxel/3015-1887/games/

There's a lot of them already out.