Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Quadradextrous posted:

Looks like after some discussion the UK studio responsible for Carmageddon (the original, before Square Enix ran off with it and caused a big ol' fight to get the IP back) is going to kickstart the new game in lieu of publishing. I'm pretty interested!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation?ref=home_location

Yeah, I saw Notch tweet about this, I've got to back this. I absolutely loved the original Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I know all the prediction modeling and what have you has Carmageddon making it, but... I still can't help being nervous. :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Carmageddon: Reincarnation is 8k shy of meeting its goal! :neckbeard: Still needs 200k if people want Mac/Linux ports, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Al! posted:

Forget the business model. The Old Republic is desperate to hold onto a million subscribers despite being the biggest nerd property ever. Kingdoms of Amalur failed spectacularly recently taking tens of millions of taxpayer dollars with it and they didn't have much more to show than a handful of empty maps. Who is going to give this inexperienced team the millions upon millions of dollars it takes to make an MMO in this day and age?

Rift is doing fantastic, but everyone always forgets Rift. :smith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Occupation posted:

I wonder why he went with the altogether lovely and unreliable alternative to KS instead of...you know...KS.

Isn't the guy behind The Oatmeal Canadian? Or am I out of my mind? If he is, that's why. Same reason projects like EXP Bar went with IndieGoGo instead of KS.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

No, but you see, it's ~*~sandbox PVP~*~. It totally has a huge silent majority audience just teeming under the surface, waiting for the Right MMO. :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Le0 posted:

Believe it or not but there are people, not necessarily UO vets, that love sandbox MMO.

Clearly. No one is discounting this. People are discounting the insinuation that there are enough to maintain an subscription-based MMO, especially when it is postulated as basically a griefer's playground and not anything of merit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

On the other hand, if "innovation" and "pushing gaming forward" means GENERIC_SOCIOPATH_SIMULATOR instead of what we have now, then I'd rather not endorse either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

Why can't that money be funneled into something like Retrovirus :smith:

I refuse to support something with so much influence from TotalBiscuit, for what it's worth. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Beanpants posted:

$7500 dollars to be an intern for a day.

Pay them $7500 dollars to work for them. Pay to work.

That's not too unusual in some industries, as sad as it sounds.

That said, don't they make enough money off their rape apologism shirts as-is?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Verdugo posted:

Cydereal, for what it's worth,

is the reason I didn't pledge. I find TotalBiscuit so totally annoying that I won't support anything he covers.

Likewise. Which was kind of a tear for me, because Retrovirus seemed really neat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

Wait, so anything the guy reviews you automatically won't buy?

That's rather peculiar, to say the least.

Anything that he actively pimps, I won't buy, yes, which is pretty much what Cydereal said he was doing (actively promoting the game and driving coverage of it).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

This is the stupidest thing I've read whole week, bravo. What if he starts to cover every game that comes out, you won't play anything until the rest of your life?

I think people are missing - intentionally or not, I don't know - the difference between stuff he reviews (which, as you say, is a lot of stuff) and stuff he is actively asked to promote and rally support for (which, among other things, includes Retrovirus).

That said, I do not harbor any delusions about this position not being petty - I just wish TB had no relevance whatsoever.

Edit: I do see that Verdugo uses the term "covers", but I think that was poor word choice. I could be wrong though! :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

On top of that, 250k only gets rid of ONE ad. They need a cool million for all the ads.

For one year, at that. They've also explicitly said that they will be doing another Kickstarter in 2013 (and presumably every year after that, assuming it continues to succeed?).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The original, without all the gameplay modifications added to the DS version that were sometimes worse than they were before? Color me interested.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Not really, to be quite honest. I check maybe once every couple of weeks and nothing interesting has been posted yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Republicans posted:

The time for a new Descent is NOW.

Hell, they make gyroscopic seats for flight sims, don't they?

Yes. Hell, some F-Zero AX cabinets have moving seats. Descent with a seat setup like that and the goggles would be a hell of an experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I didn't really need that 15 bucks anyways. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Cloud Potato posted:

Are we allowed to talk about projects related to gaming in this thread? Dreamcast worlds: a design history will hopefully be a book looking at the history of the Dreamcast through three of its games: Skies of Arcadia being one, with the other two likely to be Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online. It's 73% towards its $5k total with 36 hours left to go. $10 gets the book as a .pdf, $25 gets a paperback.

That's really awesome. I think I will kick in $25. I really hope he addresses PSO, I spent way too much time playing it on the Dreamcast. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm just sad there's no comments on the Kickstarter to that effect, though I imagine he's deleting all of them. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel like I'm not as down on the Ouya as most people. I have no doubt that they'll miss their Spring release because man that is a tight schedule to keep but I can see it being a real thing and kind of cool.

Ditto. I mean, sure, it may turn out to be a dud, but I'd like to hope it won't. Silly naive optimism, I guess.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Midrena posted:

I normally don't look at MMO Kickstarters due to the risks inherent in a 2-man (or 5-man) MMO show, but I saw this and I can't help but feel this teeny tiny desire to back it:

Greed Monger - A crafting focused sandbox MMORPG with a focus on crafting, economics and politics. Inspired by the likes of Ultima Online, Greed Monger will bring back elements of true MMORPG Gaming since been lost in the corporate watering down of this formerly exciting genre, which many of us have been missing for years such as Non-Instanced Player Housing, Rares Dealing, Sand Box Style Skill Variety and much more.

This basically sounds no different than that Your World garbage, but with slightly more meat on the skeleton.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I can't wait until the Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden 2 kickstarter comes out.

In case anyone missed it from earlier: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8632

Look at those goddamn screenshots.

If the pitch doesn't start with "Warning: The Kickstarter you are about to back is canon." then I will be upset. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Philip Rivers posted:

Grindier MMOs aren't necessarily more fun by virtue, but they are more memorable, since the longer the grind, the sweeter the end result is.

This is how I know I'm not the target market for this sort of dredge, because I'm the exact opposite. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But on the other hand, they're now seriously giving away their equivalent of crate keys in SMNC if people mine bitcoins for them. So yeah, things aren't looking great for Uber.

Please tell me you're kidding.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=41898

I don't know if I should be mad or disappointed or what. Instead I just find it hilarious.

Holy poo poo. :stare: Yeah, hilarity is about the only thing I can muster. Wow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Okay, the first question: What the hell is defined as "revive" in that post from the tester about the F2P implementation? Is it like Torchlight's where you restart at the start of an area (or where you died) if you pay but go back to $HUB_CITY if you don't? Or is it basically Pseudo-Hardcore where if you don't have enough Karma, it's whip out the credit card or re-roll?

Beyond that, what is Karma pricing like on unlocking new areas? Is it going to be a hellish grind to progress at all if you don't pay, especially if you don't play well and have to revive a lot (contingent upon the above question's answer, obviously)?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Personally I'm inclined to give him at least a small bit of benefit of the doubt, given that he had the class to do what he did and not pull a 38 Studios. I don't think he should continue the Kickstarter if his expectations/requirements are so much higher than the goal and the current projections pan out to, but at least he took care of his people first instead of unceremoniously dumping them in the cold.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

miguelito posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sleepninja/monsters-ate-my-birthday-cake?ref=category

Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake probably deserves positive mention here, despite two or three things I personally find a bit off-putting about it. The graphics seem competent, more old-school Zelda is always good and somehow it seems to have its heart at the right place.

I... I can empathize with insatiable cakelust. Am I the monsters? :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm actually moderately surprised that it's Fixed Funding. I was so certain it was gonna be Flexible before it loaded.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

epitasis posted:

but if it isn't I'm gonna be pretty annoyed that my money went to develop their Zynga pyramid scheme, first.

Their Kickstarter updates repeatedly stated that Factions was meant to be the production base for their combat and unit framework and that the single player game would be strapped onto the work that Factions produced. I'm not sure how you think this is somehow detracting from the single-player game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orzo posted:

Except you can usually differentiate the intended usage of a homonym from the context. With 'mob', you can't. Is it a mob of enemies? Or is it a 'mobile' unit? The confusion doesn't exist with 'bow', since you would never equip a motion where you bend over.

Dragon Quest IX. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I am surprised that they needed to crowdsource their DLC, considering all the attention their (very nice quality-wise) character animation garnered.

They posted about that on NeoGAF and the tl,dr is that their publisher's money is tied up in legal hell, so they really can't do this without crowdsourcing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

They just don't want to sound like they're unreasonable or not willing to license their old properties, just in case EA wants to come along with their bags of money and make Battlefield: Planescape or The Sims: Ravenloft, or something.

...How sacrilegious would it be to state that both of those sound morbidly intriguing? :ohdear:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Drifter posted:

Micro transactions for additional conversation trees.

...Okay, I'm over the idea now, thank you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Off topic, but Rev Vadaul and miguelito should be forbidden from posting after one another, it looked like three posts by the same person at first glance. :psyduck:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Banner Saga: Factions kinda counts, right? I'm kinda 1/4, then. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I dunno, the number of people who seem to have a raging nostalgia hard-on for DAoC is kinda ridiculous, and baffling to me, but I think MMO PVP is unilaterally awful, so I'm not the target audience by any measure. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Neverwinter's current problems show that even experienced MMO devs can run into significant trouble after all.

That's a pretty strict definition of "experienced". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

FunkyAl posted:

Dude's got a lot of fake and bad ideas about homosexuality, among other things, but the $20 I gave to him to make the game isn't going to get donated to an organization that's actively trying to keep LGBT from getting rights or anything.

You don't know that. Who's to say he won't use profits from said game to do just that? One only needs to look as far as Orson Scott Card to see that idea in practice.

Given that TenPatel is practically as bad as OSC, I have no problem swearing off anything he does for the same reason.