Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

Hoever, a lot of new people joined when we showed off Ironicus' monster, including a backer at the Legendary Bard level.

Speaking of which, hey guys, I'm a Legendary Bard, and I'm practically singing with joy that the funding goal has been met!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Care to share a little bit of your NPC/whatever or will we have to wait for a more solid update like Ironicus's river devil.

Sure, I'll share a little bit. There's likely to be a solid update, which I'm sure will be far more impressive, but I will share my initial concept.

Name: Samuel Johnson Goldheart.
One Unique Thing: His unwavering optimism and infectious charm is so powerful, it's almost as though the world itself would be reluctant to inflict ill will upon him.

Physical description: Dark green eyes, a short beard, and long wild (yet not dirty) blonde hair, normally kept under a fetching hat. Stands about 5'12". Human. Often wearing some sort of eye-catching garb,as if he were oblivious to the concept of fashion, such as long purple coats with a bright yellow undershirt. Despite that, he manages to pull it off in a charming way.

Short bio: Samuel J. Goldheart, commonly known as "Smilin' Sammy G." is a bit of a celebrity. Having grown up in an unimportant little village known as Glen's Bluff, he defied his father's wishes to go into the (incredibly profitable) family alchemy business, and instead ran away from home to become a traveling bard at the young age of 18. Without a home to return to, he was forced to refine his musical talents to survive, picking up a lot of skills along the way.

Ten years, he spent wandering the lands, playing at taverns and taking performance gigs, almost exclusively in exchange for room and board. He traveled with adventuring parties, circuses, sailors, caravans... as long as he could find a way to earn his passage, he would jump at the chance to experience a change of scenery. He gained a lot of notoriety for two reasons: The first was his incredible enthusiasm for conversation. It didn't matter if you were a lowly farmer, or one of the icons themselves, Sammy would listen to your story just as intently, as if it were an epic tale, worthy of a rapt audience. The second was his optimism. He gained the nickname "Smilin' Sammy G." because, no matter how badly things were going for him, he always had this "king of the world" grin on his face.

At age 28, he received word of his father's sudden passing. Being the sole inheritor, he was now, for the first time in his life, the owner of a sizable fortune. Rather than settle down, however, Sammy used the money to expand his travels, spreading his notoriety all over the world, becoming somewhat of a celebrity in the process.

To this day, it's not uncommon to hear about him showing up in some obscure little town, booking a room at an inn for a week or two, and setting up stage, playing hits from across the globe, telling stories of his many travels. No longer for the money, it's mostly as a way to gather crowds, so he can pick up more stories to tell.

In particular, he loves finding adventuring groups, because they often have great tales of heroism. On some occasions, he has even been known to tag along with a group, so he can add another first-hand experience to his sizable repertoire. His combat experience is pretty decent, as traveling all around the land is not always the safest endeavor, so his presence is not likely to be a burden on the group. Then, one day, he'll just disappear and show up a few days later in another town, ready to swap more stories. Still just as enthusiastic as he was at 18... and still grinning that same grin.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
And we have Necromancy! The power of desecrating the dead and perverting the laws of nature is made possible by generous donations from members like you. Thank you!

Man, this has been really picking up steam! Maybe we'll see the power of devils by the end of this!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Uncle Khasim posted:

Just went in on Legendary Bard to apologize to my 4E character for work taking over campaign time. Really hope that the Devils stretch goal gets made, also Battle Captain!

Sweet! Got a rad idea for an NPC yet, or mulling it over?

If we're on track for 47k, I'll be happy, because the opportunity to use devils excites me. However, I am eyeing that "I hate that town" entry. That sounds awesome.
Maybe someone will come in and trump card the whole thing with that conspicuously empty 10k tier.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 18, 2012

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey, my character is up, and we achieved Battle-Captain status.

Things honestly do not get a whole lot better.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
In order to truly play a Chaos Shaman, you must ensure that no one at the table is aware of any of the class's features, powers, or related details.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenderama posted:

Simon just posted a video to his YouTube channel -- you can watch 13th Age get bound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvLV1izAPVs

This is really incredible. Not only am I excited because it means my 13th Age book will be released soon, but it's amazing to see a bunch of pages turn into a finished, beautifully bound book.

Nice! It really looks like there's a lot of care and quality assurance being put into the production of the physical book, and that's fantastic. I'm happy to know it will be in our hands soon.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Bedlamdan posted:

Think we can expect the core-books to be released by July?

Website says 1st of August is the estimated delivery date, so I kinda doubt it'll be here by July. Although, hey, I'm far from a voice of authority so there's always the possibility.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

CaptCommy posted:

Here's a question I haven't been able to find an answer to. If I'm someone who kickstarted 13 True Ways at the level that also includes a physical copy of 13th Age, do I have to wait for 13 True Ways to come out before I get that reward? Or will I be getting it when the rest of the physical books are available?

You will not have to wait, and will get your physical core rulebook along with everyone else.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I'm considering starting up a goon 13th Age Organized Play league, probably as a Google+ Community. I'm not sure I'll be able to commit to going to my FLGS to run stuff for very long plus my wife and I plan on moving next year, so I'd rather plant flag somewhere digital. I'll post in the recruitment megathread as well, but wanted to see who - if anyone - would be interested in joining up before I do so. First week of OP starts at the beginning of August. Games are approximately two hours each.

Yeah, I'd be down for it. I have had little success trying to get a group together locally, and I definitely want to participate, so this seems like the best option.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zarick posted:

If you order this now, do you immediately get the PDF version of the full rules? Everything I've heard about this system sounds awesome and I want to buy it, but everything I've read talks about preorders (it came out recently, I think?) and I don't want to spend the money now only to have to wait anyway.

Yup! You get the pdf immediately for your reading pleasure.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Huzzah! My copy was waiting for me at my doorstep when I returned home. It absolutely looks gorgeous, but (and I'm not trying to complain here) I seem to have not received a signed boilerplate for the book, and my tier level in the Kickstarter says I should receive signed copies of both books. I realize this is a minor thing, but is there someone I can contact about that?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Macero posted:

I just got my copy in Missouri and this book makes my man crush on Rob even worse.

Quick Question. As I read through the class break downs for leveling and the like spells made me blink a couple times. On the wizard chart at level 1 you get 5 1st level spells. When you hit level 3 you get 3 first and 4 3rd. Does this mean that if a wizard wanted to he could just take 7 first level spells or, does the wizard lose 3 of his first level spells and can only have 3. The last part doesn't make sense since at level 10 you have 9 level 9s and there are not that many in the game.
Any clarification would be appreciated.

The way I believe it works (someone please correct me/make fun of me if I'm wrong) is that classes like the Wizard have spell slots. So at first level, the wizard gets five first-level spell slots, which can only be slotted with 1st level spells. Later, when the wizard levels up to three, they have three first level slots, four third level slots. All of these can be slotted with first level spells, and indeed, the first level spells get more powerful when put into a third level slot. You can also slot four third level spells into the appropriately leveled slot. The wizard knows all spells related to his or her level, and may switch them out at full heal-ups.

Makes sense?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Other powers are better, but still suffer from all the randomness. "Roll a save with a +2 bonus" Great. "But not on that odd roll." ...drat. OR Hack and Slash. "Make an extra attack." Awesome! "But not on that odd roll." Well, still good. "And it's round 3 or later." Okay... "And you need to be engaged with two or more enemies." Fine.

The thing that is important to remember about maneuvers is that a fighter has several of them, gets to declare their maneuver after their attack roll, and has several different triggering rolls, if they make clever picks. So it's less "well, I didn't get an even roll, so I'm screwed" and more "Oh! That's a natural odd, so I get to do that thing where my crit range expands!" Basically, the odds that you will be able to do something good with a maneuver on your turn are very good, especially because Fighters have quite a few tricks to let them attack more than once.

But say you want more than that, I would like to mention that there is a race that gives you direct control over your natural D20 result once per battle. So if you're banking all your plans on one maneuver, you have an option.

Speaking as someone who plays a Fighter fairly often, I never feel limited or starved for choice with my maneuvers.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 13, 2013

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Jackard posted:

Printer friendly and the ability to rename stuff like items

Seconding this, and definitely include powers/spells on the list of renameable things.

I really like this idea a lot, and would consider implementing it in future games.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Flaky Biscuit posted:

This brings up another question - the power/spell/talent text isn't actually copyrighted, is it? It would be a lot nicer if I could include it (that would also let me work feats into the power text itself, which is an added bonus).

From the book itself, here's what is identified as Product Identity, not open content:

13th age book posted:

"All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names (characters, icons, place names, new deities, ect.), dialogue, banter and comments between Jonathan and Rob, plots, story elements, locations, characters, artwork, and trade dress"

I, admittedly, only have the most baseline of business legal educations, but it seems like you're probably okay (everyone please yell at me if I am wrong).

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

waderockett posted:

But unlike 13th Age, 13 True Ways is a Kickstarter. So, should only Kickstarter backers get a draft-in-progress? Or should backers and pre-order customers both get drafts? We never promised that exclusivity to backers and I think people will be more likely to pre-order if they get content right away. But I'm pretty sure at least some backers would be prickly about that.
Thoughts?

Absolutely give pre-order customers access to the drafts. How could encouraging more people to support 13th Age's growth be anything but a positive thing?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just popping in to say that I received my signed bookplate today, along with four Icon Postcards. Apparently, I have a three-postcard relationship with the Diabolist, and one point with the Archmage.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Majuju posted:

So I have managed to get my D&D group super excited about 13A and we're just about to convert over. I am (slightly) concerned about amount of healing/ability to use recoveries in fights, though - it seems like having a cleric is a huge asset in this regard (or failing that, a bard) - is someone going to be 'forced' into one of these classes, or are there enough secret special heal backup powers amongst the other classes that we could get by?

Every player is able to auto-succeed at a rally once a combat, guaranteeing themselves the ability to use at least one recovery a fight. After that, it's a normal save to rally, which isn't that difficult, and doesn't burn a turn if it fails. Clerics and Bards are nice in that (should they feel benevolent) they allow characters to spend a recovery without the random chance of failing to rally/without a heavier damage dealer spending their turn to rally... but it is by no means a party requirement.

As for the second question, many classes have options for special healing backup powers in some form or another. Characters likely to get into the fray and take hits are usually capable of gaining temporary health or mitigating damage in some way.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Jackard posted:

The binding on mine is already coming apart on page 112, without having had much use. Is it too late for a replacement?

Ironically this is where GGW's art is. He has failed to contain the Abyss :v:

Woah, weird, mine's doing the same thing at the same page. I thought it was just my fault for being a clumsy dummy and letting it get knocked around, but I hope it isn't a design flaw. Either way, I ordered a replacement copy, so as to keep my signed book from falling apart.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

I'm throwing together a Psion class! It's still in its early stages, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some critiques/advice. Like, is anything about its class features or talents inherently broken? Do its abilities seem fun? Do its powers seem to fit the whole brain wizard image?

(I'm also a little concerned it might be bordering on a literal brain wizard, as in being too similar to the existing Wizard class. Combat-wise I'm aiming for a playstyle centering around control, possibly sacrificing damage to do so.)

I rather like the framework a lot. On Minor Domination; is there any real reason that the attack automatically succeeds? That seems a little potent for a 1st Level At-Will.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That was the most fantastic way I've seen backgrounds explained, and really made me take a look at how my own players approach their backgrounds. Our power-hungry Demon Mafia Sorcerer loves his +5 "Well-Connected" background, whereas our Frog-woman posing as a fat man with a walrus mustache Fighter equally divides her backgrounds between "Pit Fighter", "Glass-blower", "General Jerk", and "Disciple of Gordon Ramsey". It's a good party.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Undead Unicorn posted:

Does anyone have any links on how to convert monsters from Pathfinder or 4 edition to 13th Age? I'm going to pre-order the Bestiary but I want to throw my players something uniqueish at them for a bit.

What Pvt.Scott said is very applicable. If you want to take it a step further, pour over the DIY Monster tables found at the back of the monster section. It's not hard to convert monsters in this system. You can re-skin many of 4e's movement-based powers as having a monster pop-free, or engage a player as a result of their attack. You can safely convert things like Reflex, Will, or Fortitude saves as effects that trigger from "Natural roll above stat" or targeting MD/PD as seems applicable. Also, feel free to pick and choose applicable abilities from different monsters in the book as you like.

Completely ignore CR. Just make the monster an appropriate level for your party per the encounter building guidelines.

The most important thing is to simplify the monster significantly. Things like "Melee bite +24 (2d6+12), 2 claws +23 (1d8+8), 2 wings +18 (1d6+4), tail slap +18 (1d8+12)" may be well and good for Pathfinder, but 13th Age would prefer something more like "Vicious bite- +20 vs AC, 18 damage. Natural even hit, target takes 10 ongoing damage, save ends.", and giving the monster about half the attacks in general.

That being said, you'll probably find a lot of what you're looking for in the Bestiary. There's a lot of content there; I can't think of too many notable monsters off the top of my head that were completely overlooked.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really haven't seen too many problems with Monks. One of my players is currently playing the Monk, and he seems to do some really great things at times. Maybe, as the DM, I don't see his constraints the way he might, but so far he's been doing triple backflips and punching dudes a crazy amount of times with Flurries and stuff. Granted, there's some pretty glaring problems (useless talent, weird icon restrictions, ect.) but it sounds like those are getting addressed in the next playtest.

I mean, it's far from a perfect class, but it's definitely more compelling than, say, the Ranger or Paladin. From my perspective, anyway.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mystic Mongol posted:

When I ask, "What do I get for playing a monk," the answer shouldn't involve anything to do with roleplaying.

I feel like that's a weird take on things. Doesn't that mean that you, personally, would not like to play a Monk, while others might?

My Monk player gets so much glee from Improbable Stunt. He's used it to get on a hydra's back, Shoryuken through a cage of steel, and many other memorable moments. As a player, he really enjoys the role-play treats the Monk has.

Playing a fighter is also fun, and I've enjoyed it many a time. At the end of the day, though, both my Monk and my Fighter player got exactly what they wanted out of the session. A good experience.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sefer posted:

No, he's saying he wants to play a monk but that it's better mechanically to reskin a fighter as a monk than to use the monk class. No one cares if you write "monk" on your character sheet if you're running around punching things, and you really shouldn't need a talent to jump on a hydra's back (just say that when you engage, you jump on his back. If you disengage later, it's because you jumped off, and if the hydra disengages it's because it knocked you off). The monk should bring something mechanically distinct to the table, otherwise there's no reason not to reskin another class with the mechanics you want as a monk.

I feel like there are a few things that makes the Monk unique, though. Stance-dancing, scaling AC, increased mobility... It definitely has a few issues; certainly: weird scaling damage is nowhere near as good as reliable hits, and it has a lot of ways to cripple itself... But I still feel as though the Monk has a place that is unique in the party.

But hey, I'm bad at maths, and easily drawn in by flavor, so I guess if the Monk is a "Timmy"-class, to borrow a Magic term, well I guess I'm a Timmy.

Side-note: the hydra thing was more improbable in execution, I assure you. It involved the monk firing himself out of a cannon, stopping in mid-air, and gracefully landing on the many-headed one's back. He proceeded to sail the Hydra towards the party's ship, and the fighter clubbed the creature into the sun with a triple-damage crit Power Attack.

In the end, I'll be excited to see what the new playtest brings to the table. It sounds like they're addressing a lot of the issues involved with the class. It's a tough class to get right.

In the meantime, I'm very excited to see the Commander in action.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 10, 2013

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

Anybody wanna do a Christmas Eve one-shot? Doing all my family stuff earlier in the day and I want to share the Christmas Joy (tm) with you guys.

I would love to, but I'll probably be visiting family, if you're planning on running it on the Christmas Eve proper. But if any extraordinary circumstances come up, count me in.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

Room for one more in the 13th Day of Christmas game.

Currently attending are Thedandmom, ArkInBlack, djw175, and Captain Walker.

So, is that tonight or actually on Christmas? If it's tonight, count me in.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

So here's a not-entirely-finished version of a Martial Artist I've been toying around with. Kinda got distracted by the Stalwart but maybe I'll be able to wrap it up this week.

Wow, this looks really good. I'll ask my Monk player if he wants to try this out in tomorrow's game, see how it runs.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zarah posted:

So my group has been playing 13th Age for a few months now, and we all agree that it's great. We've also been recording video of our sessions pretty much since the beginning, not unlike the guys in the LP thread. We don't really know what to do or where to put the final videos, so I'm coming here bearing them in hopes that at least someone is marginally entertained.

Here is our playlist. We use VirtualDaivve, same as the crew in the LP thread. Some sessions don't have any video to go along with the audio, so I just stuck some random game footage behind it instead. FYI, I'm really bad at XCOM. Don't judge me.

However, shameless self-promotion isn't the only reason I came here today. I'm playing with the idea of converting 13th Age into use in the Star Wars universe. Obviously Icons, backgrounds, and one unique things won't be that hard to adapt, but I don't really know where to start with the classes. I could just say some classes are off-limits, but I'd rather be able to adapt them in a way that makes sense in-universe. I've been looking at Edge of the Empire for some ideas and I'm even playing with the idea of just mashing some classes together or making up some new stuff as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Or want to point out any other potential problem areas in the whole Star Wars adaptation idea?

What potential problems do you see in potential classes? I don't know a whole lot about Star Wars, but is the force significantly different from magic? Is there anything truly problematic enough that you can't hand wave it away?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It does if your GM is rad enough.

I think it would be a Cardinal Sin, as a DM, to refuse.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

LongDarkNight posted:

My Wizard player has the "Counter-Magic" ability from the High Arcana talent, but almost no monster descriptions indicate attacks as "spells". Am I missing something or is it a DM judgement call? I've gone with "rule of cool" and let him strangle a dragon's breath weapon in it's throat but maybe I'm understanding wrong.

I'd imagine that most things a caster-type monster does could be seen as a spell, but yeah, go with the rule of cool too. If it seems like it's magic, it probably is.

Dragon's breath is an interesting case, as it's likely an innate thing, but I highly agree that the right call was letting the player counter-spell it, especially if he hasn't gotten much use out of it up until then.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

unrelated note: polished and prettied up the Field Commander. Happy New Year!

Woah, this is really good. I adore the Formations; they really capture the essence of the command role. The flavor of Support Staff and Rank and Title are fantastic as well. I'll definitely bring this up to our group's current Commander.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I'm going to run a one-off tonight around 7PM if anyone's interested. Fish and I have some class mechanics we want to put through their paces.

Yeah, I'm down.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Walker posted:

Is there a Pelgrane adventure path or any good pre-made adventure path, or at least an adventure path idea, so I know vaguely where my campaign should go?

I believe there are some Pelgrane adventures coming out eventually, such as Shards of the Broken Sky. That being said, a pretty good way to see where the campaign should go would be to look at what the PCs are likely to care about, given their relationships and backgrounds. If, for example, your party contains a lot of people who dig the Archmage, then make sure you make Horizon pretty big and important.

Alternatively, look through the locations section of the book, and see what areas grip your imagination. Starport literally has three short sentences of description, and it's still incredibly compelling.

There's a lot of different locations, so I'm sure you could find something for everyone at your table.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So, the Cleric just spent his last session before moving by murdering another player character... with his Trick Die!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really do have to echo the sentiment of "If I wanted Pathfinder, I'd play Pathfinder". I like 13th Age a lot because it isn't Pathfinder. I'm willing to cautiously wait until it hits playtest before I condemn it, but I'd like to see the Necromancer take a different direction than "caster-reskin". Spellcasters in 13th Age have a lot of toys. Giving them another one seems redundant.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

General Ironicus posted:

The new Page XX had a lot of 13th Age content, like the Eldcaller, a stunt system, a caption contest and a commitment from the publisher for continued support with supplements and adventures, some in the works and some in an early pitch stage.

I really like that stunt system; allowing for more robust choices in combat is always great.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

DM Talk: There's a player of mine who chose wizard as his class, but he doesn't seem to be very creative. Maybe it's partially just that as the DM, I know the situation and limitations better than he does, but it always mildly frustrates me whenever there's a thing he could do in a situation, but never does. I don't think he's never tried to do a ritual once, for instance, let alone does he seem to make much use of the cantrips or anything.

Is he having fun with the class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

I get the feeling he is vaguely frustrated, too. I wonder if I should talk to him.

You probably should, or at least let him know that you're free to address any concerns he might have about his character.

• Locked thread