Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

CrookedB posted:

That means Phantasie IV is a legitimate sequel and not just a case of Japanese developers reviving a discontinued Western franchise. Who would've thought - the game is just so obscure.

(As mentioned earlier, there is a partial English fan translation of the MSX version of Phantasie IV, which you can download here: http://www.msxblue.com/?p=946&lang=en)

That's incredibly cool! I wish the translation were more complete as I'm having trouble even creating characters. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
If you just need help getting through character creation, post some screenshots and I can probably help you out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is legitimately crazy news. Particularly since it now makes me wonder whether this was a common practice.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This gives me renewed hope that Woodhead was somehow in Japan for some of the early Wizardry stuff, even though he's always denied it. Maybe hiding in the rafters and nodding along silently for the Wizardry OVA...

Really hope more stories like this get uncovered, as well as the fan translation one day getting finished alongside the heap of other rpg projects hidden in the margins of that era.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Aand breaking news: Winston Douglas Wood is working on - gasp - Phantasie V! (As he says in my upcoming interview with him -- I'll post the link here when it goes live if nobody minds.) No specific info yet - just the fact he's working on it in his spare time.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

CrookedB posted:

I'll post the link here when it goes live if nobody minds.

Please do!

Speaking of links to things that may be interesting to this thread, Chris Avellone started his playthrough of Arcanum: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63354-update-42-avellones-lets-play-arcanum/

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
The interview with WD Wood is now up: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8786 It focuses not only on Phantasie, but also on Star Command, the sci-fi CRPG he co-designed with Eric Liebenauer. I'll quote the tidbits relevant to Phantasie IV and V here, for those who don't feel like reading the entire thing:

quote:

In 1990 Phantasie IV was released exclusively in Japan for MSX, NEC and Sharp computers. The game credits you as the creator of the series, but the actual development is credited to a Japanese company called Star Craft, Inc. What do you know about this game and did you have any involvement in it at all?

I designed Phantasie IV completely. I was able to go to Japan and meet the programmers from Star Craft but I was never able to test the game to any extent. I did consider doing another fantasy RPG but decided to do Star Command instead.

That's exciting to hear! Did you design Phantasie IV specifically for Star Craft, or have you already had it designed (for SSI perhaps) by the time Star Craft approached you? And why wasn't it published in the West?

Starcraft approached SSI with the idea of doing Phantasie IV in Japan. SSI then contacted me and I designed the game. SSI would have published it if anyone had been available to adapt it to computers like the Apple II or Commodore 64 but that never happened (I was busy designing and programming other software).

As far as I'm aware you left the industry at some point after the release of Star Command. What was the reason for your departure and what have you been up to since?

After Star Command I designed three games for Japanese companies. I thought designing the games without doing the programming would give me a chance to improve graphics quality and game play. However only one of the games (Phantasie IV) actually made it to the market and I found that I missed the opportunity to interact with the games during the design process.

At the same time I was given an opportunity to do some programming for a civil engineering software company (KYPipe, LLC). This proved to be a more stable source of income since sales of one product would continue for years instead of just a few months. I am still in that field to this day as part owner of KYPipe, LLC.

By the way I am currently working on Phantasie V. I don't get much time to work on it so its a very slow process. If you want you can check back with me in about a year and I will let you know the status of the project.

We will be sure to! Can you maybe tell us a bit about how you approach it? Will it look and play similar to the previous Phantasie games, or are you aiming for something new with it?

It is still very early in the development stage and it's really just for fun right now. I haven't given any thought to publishing. It will be a PC game though if it turns out well I may consider Android and iOS versions.

In general the scope should be quite a bit bigger but it should play very similar to the previous Phantasie games. I don't yet know how it will look but the main visual feature will still be the scrolling map on which all combat and exploration takes place.

I also interviewed Al Escudero about Deathlord back in November, which some of you may also find interesting: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8596

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

CrookedB posted:

I also interviewed Al Escudero about Deathlord back in November, which some of you may also find interesting: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=8596

Wow, that's interesting--I never knew that Deathlord was once supposed to be a Norse-themed game up until right before release. That actually explains a lot--replaying it relatively recently (I first played it as a kid without knowledge of any Japanese) it's painfully obvious that a ton of the names of spells, places, etc are pulled straight from a Japanese-English dictionary. Like there's one character class where it's pretty clear they were shooting for "berserker" but picked a word that's actually closer to "madman" if you're being generous, though "deviant" (frequently of the sexual sort) is closer. And another class is "sharecropper." (they were clearly shooting for "serf" or maybe "peasant") It seemed kind of odd--if the creators were so eager to make a Japanese-themed RPG why be so sloppy in that aspect? Guess now I know.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Excellent pair of interviews, and hope springs eternal on the both of them eventually getting back into the ring in full. I mean, at this rate, god only knows what manner of strange Kickstarters and the like we'll see in the next year or 2 if nothing goes horribly awry---classic RPG revivals from the depths like these would be most welcome.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
In other oldschool RPG news, a new public demo has finally been released for Grimoire, that Wizardry 7-like game by the eccentric/crazy Cleve Blakemore. You can download it here: http://www.filedropper.com/grimdemoinstallerv11

A word of warning, though: a lot of people seem to experience crashes/glitches with this build. For one, if you're on Windows 7, it is recommended you unpack the contents of the installer manually (using 7-zip or Winrar or whatever) to "C:\Grimoire\" or a similar folder (which should be on disk C and outside program files) and run the program as administrator. Yeah, I know.

(Also, press F1 for in-game help.)

I've experienced some crashes myself, but have been enjoying the game so far.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 19, 2013

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
On one hand, I don't really want to support Cleve's racist insanity, on the other, it's supposed to be twice as big as World of Xeen. Wine isn't running the demo installer, so I guess I'll never know. At least we were promised no stone penis monsters, unlike Wizardry.

Edit:
I'll buy it if it's good, but I'm not going to spend good time and money staring into Cleve's feces.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 19, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't see where his insane views should come into it unless you have reason to believe that paying for the game would directly fund/support acts you'd find objectionable; he doesn't do anything with his novel worldview except blog about it (and blog, and blog). He's no Brad Wardell that's using his position of power to harass female employees or Orson Scott Card putting the fruits of his success directly into spreading his views, just a shithead in a bunker that might have made a good game.

I mean, I get that he's a terrible person and you'd rather he didn't have any of your money, but buying it is really just expressing your support for more Wizardry-likes and desire to see them become a profitable style of game, so on the balance of things I'm happy to do it.

On the other hand, he once wrote a murder fanfic about me so I'm tempted not to buy it just to spite him. It was pretty good, though.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 19, 2013

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I don't see where his insane views should come into it unless you have reason to believe that paying for the game would directly fund/support acts you'd find objectionable; he doesn't do anything with his novel worldview except blog about it (and blog, and blog). He's no Brad Wardell that's using his position of power to harass female employees or Orson Scott Card putting the fruits of his success directly into spreading his views, just a shithead in a bunker that might have made a good game.

I mean, I get that he's a terrible person and you'd rather he didn't have any of your money, but buying it is really just expressing your support for more Wizardry-likes and desire to see them become a profitable style of game, so on the balance of things I'm happy to do it.

On the other hand, he once wrote a murder fanfic about me so I'm tempted not to buy it just to spite him. It was pretty good, though.

Now you have to link it.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Himalaya Studios is making Mage's Initiation, a Quest-for-Glory-like graphic adventure RPG.

I have to admit that this is kind of the project I wanted Lori and Corey Cole's kickstarter to be: a reboot of a QfG-style graphic RPG, and not a "hero high school" game.

If you back it soon you can get in on the $6 early bird special for the game.

Himalaya did the Quest for Glory II remake, and the King's Quest 1-3 remakes, so they get poo poo done and they have their poo poo together (and 'get' what Quest for Glory is supposed to be like.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

Himalaya Studios is making Mage's Initiation, a Quest-for-Glory-like graphic adventure RPG.

I have to admit that this is kind of the project I wanted Lori and Corey Cole's kickstarter to be: a reboot of a QfG-style graphic RPG, and not a "hero high school" game.

If you back it soon you can get in on the $6 early bird special for the game.

Himalaya did the Quest for Glory II remake, and the King's Quest 1-3 remakes, so they get poo poo done and they have their poo poo together (and 'get' what Quest for Glory is supposed to be like.)

This is very interesting and cool to know - thank you. It may well be the second KS I've backed. (Project Eternity being the first...). In fact given their hard work on the remakes, I reckon they should be rewarded for it all.

I am also in the camp of seriously let down by what the Coles are doing when they could have done a phenomenal spiritual successor.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I asked them once upon a time if they'd ever consider doing a VGA "demake" of Quest for Glory V - basically take Dragon Fire and do it in the style of the Quest for Glory II remake - and they said they'd never be doing another free game again, but would consider if if they could somehow get the rights to sell it.

In theory this may be a step in that direction. Or not. It could just be a really cool Quest for Glory spiritual successor.

Either way, 6bux for the early bird version is pretty awesome.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

CrookedB posted:

In other oldschool RPG news, a new public demo has finally been released for Grimoire, that Wizardry 7-like game by the eccentric/crazy Cleve Blakemore. You can download it here: http://www.filedropper.com/grimdemoinstallerv11

A word of warning, though: a lot of people seem to experience crashes/glitches with this build. For one, if you're on Windows 7, it is recommended you unpack the contents of the installer manually (using 7-zip or Winrar or whatever) to "C:\Grimoire\" or a similar folder (which should be on disk C and outside program files) and run the program as administrator. Yeah, I know.

(Also, press F1 for in-game help.)

I've experienced some crashes myself, but have been enjoying the game so far.

Since there is literally no documentation at all for this game, I've tried to dig around in the BUNDLE-D.RSF file using something similar to grep for Windows and find stuff like spell and skill descriptions. I found a reference to a SPELLS.TXT in there, but I have barely any knowledge about datamining and thus don't know where to go from there. Has anyone done this kind of mining before that could give me some hints as to what to do next?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I can't believe Grimoire is an actual game. I remember huge flame wars on usenet with Steve and that must have been way over ten years ago.

Unrelated: I found this Starflight remake that looks pretty complete. Has anyone tried it? I only ever played the Genesis version of Starflight and I've always remembered the game being impressively epic.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I decided this week to start replaying Planescape: Torment, but this time actually finished it [I've gotten over halfway but keep loosing my saves for various reasons]. I don't mind replaying it, though, because I love the story and characters and atmosphere enough that an occasional revisit is nice.

I'm also thinking about jumping into Thunderscape, even though I know I probably shouldn't. It's just that kind of game where if I ever really get into it, I'll end up wasting countless hours mucking around in its massive dungeons because I can't help but poke around in every little corner. I've still got the CD for it around somewhere...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This came up in the Numenera/Torment thread, but it truly belongs here:

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

MYSTERIOUS LORD BRITISH COUNTDOWN TIMER TO KICKSTARTER(?) PROJECT

Wild And Probably Accurate Speculation: ISOMETRIC ULTIMA REBOOT IN ALL BUT NAME actually my man Garriott (de Cayeux) has always been fond of setting trends instead of following them, so look for this to instead be an Oculus Rift exclusive VR Ultima.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
My bet is on a Star Citizen-like project, i.e. MMO/social game + single-player campaign all in one package. Platforms: PC, Mac, tablets.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Awesome, finally the sequel to Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa we've all been waiting for. (I totally forgot the game even had his name on the cover.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Veib posted:

Awesome, finally the sequel to Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa we've all been waiting for. (I totally forgot the game even had his name on the cover.)

My local Goodwill had a copy of Tabula Rasa in its locked case for electronics and stuff that might get shoplifted, and it took nearly a month of saying "hey, you really shouldn't be selling this since it can't be played" to employees and managers before it vanished. I hope they never actually sold it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Quarex posted:

This came up in the Numenera/Torment thread, but it truly belongs here:

http://www.lordbritishpresents.com/

MYSTERIOUS LORD BRITISH COUNTDOWN TIMER TO KICKSTARTER(?) PROJECT

Wild And Probably Accurate Speculation: ISOMETRIC ULTIMA REBOOT IN ALL BUT NAME actually my man Garriott (de Cayeux) has always been fond of setting trends instead of following them, so look for this to instead be an Oculus Rift exclusive VR Ultima.

Doesn't EA own the rights to 99% of the Ultima related names?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Richard Gariott was somehow able to keep the rights to the name Lord British.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Richard Gariott was somehow able to keep the rights to the name Lord British.

I think that's pretty much it, isn't it? If he could recreate the same experience I had playing Ultima 6 and 7 back when they were first released I'd sell a kidney to fund that Kickstarter.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Brown Moses posted:

I think that's pretty much it, isn't it? If he could recreate the same experience I had playing Ultima 6 and 7 back when they were first released I'd sell a kidney to fund that Kickstarter.

Wouldn't that entail you being 10?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Wouldn't that entail you being 10?

It would have to be a pretty impressive Kickstarter as it would require Quantum Leap style time travel for the backers, although I'm sure Richard Garriot might give that a shot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's been to outer space and back. If any game designer can, he can.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even though I paid no attention to Star Citizen, CrookedB's summary sounds at least vaguely intriguing, so hey, that would be fine by me!

Also, in addition to undoubtedly granting us all the ability to be 10 again ... which, you know, I did not have a sound card when I was playing Ultima VI, and I had just bought a cassette of Depeche Mode's "Violator," and I doubt I could be convinced to this day that "World in My Eyes" is not, in fact, on the actual Ultima VI soundtrack.

Oh, but wait, what? Yeah, Electronic Arts owns most of the relevant copyrights, but there is obviously Lord British, and that name has enough cachet that you could basically make a new game just based on that. Plus, while obviously I have no idea, surely his real-life SCA friends' names cannot have been somehow purchased as a mere result of him using them in a game? (Surely is not always so sure, of course.) I guess I just hope that the teaser launched on Friday is going to get right down to business and say LORD BRITISH NEEDS YOUR HELP, DUPRE IS TRAPPED IN A TRANS-DIMENSIONAL IOLOCYCLIC SHAMINOTRON

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So yeah, I just checked Wikipedia, and it claims that Gariott holds the trademark to Lord British. So this is definitely Richard Gariott related. It's most likely this: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/products/ultimate-rpg

He has previously stated that he'd attach it to the Ultima brand if EA would let him, but otherwise it's still the spiritual successor to UO. Most likely, that's getting a formal announcement and trailer. It's also going to be free to play. In the treatise he wrote about the game, he talked big about how free to play games don't need to be shallow or lacking in a good story. He also goes on to say that it will be the ultimate RPG while simultaneously lowering expectations by saying that there wont be as many features or as robust a world as other MMOs. Well... okay.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 5, 2013

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I would be absolutely shocked if anyone reading this didn't already know, but just in case, there's a Kickstarter up for Torment 2, and there's a separate thread to talk about that here.

It looks like us old school RPG fans have spoken! Now let's take aim at whatever this Richard Garriot thing turns out to be. :clint:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Richard Garriott's ULTIMATE GRILL-MASTER 5000!!!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If Richard Garriott went to Kickstarter with a solid pitch on a spiritual successor to UO, it may be the only KS MMO project to actually get funded.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Anyone played the Goldbox Buck Rogers games? I'm having a lot of trouble with space battles, at least with the RAM Heavy Cruiser and the Mercurian Medium Cruiser, and I'd appreciate some general tips along with a couple of answers: I'm guessing Warriors are better at hitting, but does anything affect dodging chances, like a really high Pilot Rocket skill? Any good tactics? I've been going for taking out their Control, which works well for anything that isn't the above mentioned. Should I be doing something else instead for these harder ships?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It's pretty sad that I played both Buck Rogers games multiple times, and yet have such a horrible time trying to remember gameplay details. I wish I could help you more than this. I remember a review complaining about the space combat being based on luck, and I recall simply avoiding some of the tougher enemy ships, so that's probably a valid complaint.

seorin posted:

I would be absolutely shocked if anyone reading this didn't already know, but just in case, there's a Kickstarter up for Torment 2, and there's a separate thread to talk about that here.

:dance:

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Daler Mehndi posted:

It's pretty sad that I played both Buck Rogers games multiple times, and yet have such a horrible time trying to remember gameplay details. I wish I could help you more than this. I remember a review complaining about the space combat being based on luck, and I recall simply avoiding some of the tougher enemy ships, so that's probably a valid complaint.

That's ok. Actually, I've come to realise that it's not so bad, once you know that if a ship rams another ship, each ship does it's weight in damage to the other ship. So get too close and you'll be smashed to pieces by the heavier ships. Stay too far away, though, and your heavier weapons can't be used.

So as far as I can tell, keep at a medium distance and smash up their bridge, then as you come in to board, fire at their weapon systems which are still active even if the ship can't actually fly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is Richard Garriott actually Lord British? I didn't realize Lord British was supposed to be his avatar character.

Lord British's Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Is Richard Garriott actually Lord British? I didn't realize Lord British was supposed to be his avatar character.

Pretty much, yeah. Lord British in the Ultima games is basically Richard Garriott's self-insert. He even voiced him in Serpent Isle and (sorta) Ultima 9. For the very earliest Ultima games at the least, he was always credited as "Lord British" in the credits too, as opposed to his real name. Apparently it derives from a nickname of his or something.

It's kind of weird, but then Richard Garriott's kind of a weird guy. Not like a bad weird, but weird nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

When he was a kid, Garriott affected am English accent, and people called him lord british. He wasn't smart enough to understand that he was being mocked.