Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Daedalus1134 posted:

"... and it lights up"

I laughed so hard I paused it so I could find this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
OVEN ROFL

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Anyone get this for the 3080? My video skipped at it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gonna go 1660ti to 3080 gently caress yeah.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve never shot for GPUs on day 1 but I want a 3080. Was it easy for the 2080 or was it like Black Friday in the USA?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I did get to order something today because my PSU is only 550W :saddowns:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Black Griffon posted:

What about my five year old 550W for a 3080 though?

DrDork posted:

Quite iffy, and heavily dependent on what CPU you're running and if you overclock it. 600-650W is probably where the "safe" bottom is gonna be.

Also, at 5 years old, I'd look to see if it's still under warranty. If it's not, I might consider replacing it sooner rather than later regardless.

My 550 doesn’t even have the extra 6+2 connector the 3080 requires.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

movax posted:

Out of curiosity I went to try and trace back my GPUs... only got as far back as a used Ti 4600, but from there I think I hit a 7900, 8800 GTS, GTX 460, GTX 670 and then GTX 1080. Surprised at past me for upgrading so "quick" from 460 to 670, but maybe that was a big jump.

My first was a Radeon 9800XT
After that is my current 1660Ti

I need to upgrade more often.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are FE cards a limited run or can I definitely get one eventually if I miss the initial frenzy?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Their Nvidia's own fab of cards and they sell them throughout the generation. Founder's Edition usually means cards sold during the inital launch.

Ok cool, more specifically I want the cooling design of their card. My intake and exhaust setup looks like it would be perfect for it.

Plus I MAY end up with a cpu water cooler. They look like they’ve come a LONG way since my previous pc built in like 2003.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So wait if I’m running a stock Ryzen 7 3700x and 3080 will I be maybe not fine with 750w?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Why am I laughing so much at this god I’m a dork.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

This guy really dunks on stock coolers but my AMD Prism has been great with my Ryzen 7 3700x and 1660ti.

Should I go ahead and turn it into a Noctua now and save myself a headache? Not familiar with beefier cards so I don’t know just how much hotter it’s going to be.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

K8.0 posted:

With your system sipping power it's probably not unreasonably loud. Dump another 200w in the case and then maybe it will make enough noise that you care. Maybe it won't. Just wait and see.

Ok cool. Last quick thermal concern I have is my case is a CoolerMaster Q300L (micro ATX), something a bit notorious online for being hot. Since getting it I’ve tossed the stock fans for a 2 front, 1 roof, 1 rear Noctua setup and I can currently play games like Control on highest settings with both my CPU and GPU in the mid 70 degree range.

Can I also consider this good enough to just wait and see how it handles a 3080?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If these come to Best Buy brick and mortar stores I may try it. I live in the south and there’s plenty of Best Buy’s scattered around podunk towns.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Looks like 3080 is PCIe 4.0, any noticeable difference if I use my 3.0 mobo or am I now upgrading that too?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My case has windows 10.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah that adapter looks awful.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cygni posted:

the true geniuses are the ones still using 1280x1024 17in LCDs from 2001. if you never upgrade your monitor, you will never know that there are better things out there and everything will look great! the moment you bring that 1440/4k high refresh rate monitor home, your brain is forever tainted

I love this because I have that friend. The “if I look at 4K even once there goes my brain and wallet” friend.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is NowInStock going to be the F5 thing for getting a FE as soon as possible?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want to render Among Us at 2000fps before sending it to my 30hz ViewSonic 19”.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

exquisite tea posted:

Where are you finding if your local Best Buy will be stocking these? I can see the in-store pickup option when I'm browsing the various 3080 models but nothing on the store page itself.

I was gonna do some calls tomorrow evening :shrug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Zero VGS posted:

lol if you didn't already bribe an employee $100. Hell you should have already been bribing the longshoremen at the docks. It's gonna take some straight up mafia tactics to get one of these.

I refuse to work with scalpers but I’d totally bribe some Best Buy kid who would buy some weed with it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I called Best Buy and the guy didn’t know what I was talking about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do you think every Best Buy will get some? There’s a big one in the center of the city and a few on the outskirts.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
3200mhz ram BAD?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well if I’m gonna upgrade from 3200 memory is there a current sweet spot that isn’t throwing 400 dollars at a diminished return? Is 16Gb still plenty?

I’m gonna be going for 4K on a 3080 and Ryzen 7 3700x

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

K8.0 posted:

The performance benefits aren't enough to justify replacing memory unless you're only hitting 3200mhz with really terrible timings.

Ok cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Newegg is over now is the time for Best Buy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was going full F5 on a fiber connection that was loading almost instantly. There was never a buy button on anything.

Guess the bots are faster than these old bones.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The eBay prices are already going insane.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There’s a founders edition PRE ORDER on eBay at 10,000 dollars with 29 bids.

It has 5 hours left.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gigabyte card on eBay is up to 26,100 with 41 bids.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bloodplay it again posted:

Definitely salty people racking up the auction without ever intending to pay. In what world would anyone ever pay those prices?

Late stage capitalism America?

Edit: I’m not too familiar with eBay, if this is people putting in WHATEVER to win then cancelling that’s just neato.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ugh same. This sucks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

It’s a handwritten thank you card he’s selling so he can buy a 3080.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

AirRaid posted:

I still haven't heard the fans on mine spin up. My case was marketed as a "quiet" case, but still. Also doesn't go over 65C.

I want one.

This week I replaced my case and stock cooler and ended up with a Fractal meshify C mini, 4 noctua case fans and a noctua cpu cooler and my build is silent at idle and quieter under load than my last case was at idle. Temps also dropped 12 degrees. It’s insane.

I’d like to keep that trend going.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So if I’m on a strict 2-slot budget am I completely limited to the FE? I’m leaning towards one anyways due to the cooling design and length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Jay tweeted that he was ready and willing to shoot and kill BLM protesters if they stepped on his lawn.

I’m not happy to find out he’s poo poo but I’m relieved he’s someone I already couldn’t stand prior.