Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does FF14 have an auction house and mailboxes yet? Also a KB/M setup that doesn't completely blow rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Overbite posted:

So I'm at the last boss of FF13 and I really don't want to fight it because I hear its super annoying and I'd have to grind a bit. Should I just watch the ending on youtube and go play FF13-2 which I hear is better or should I put forth the effort to fight the stupid thing?

Go fight it and then enjoy as it uses an instant death spell on your main character and game over(watch the ending on youtube).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Pepper posted:

Literally none of this is true.

Counter + Draw attacks is powerful but tons of enemies have group attacks. The CPU fight you described never happened, and the augment system owns. FF4 DS is better then the original in every way.

It is ugly as gently caress, so clearly it is not better in every way. And the gameplay is pretty lovely too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kthegreat posted:

Have they said whether or not X/X-2 HD will be using the International versions of the games or not? Because I will buy those games in a second if they are.

They certainly are.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

Kitase just came out and said that if the HD re-releases do well, that they'll do XII. Not that I'm excited for that abysmal title getting remastered or anything, but some people do like it.
If they do re-release 12, I hope they still have the master audio somewhere so they can use that instead of whatever compressed garbage they used for the ps2.

And I totally agree with you on 12. Game was mediocre at best. I don't see why people love it so much when it basically played itself with gambits.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 17, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

That wasn't my experience. Once I set up good Gambits I barely needed to touch them except if I reconfigured them to automate a gimmick boss. People complainted about FFXIII having an "Auto-fight" Button but it was infinitely more interactive than FFXII was.

I love FFXII's worldsetting and such but the gameplay was just me watching my optimized gambit setup walk over enemies for 80% of the game. The other 20% was mostly "I didn't unlock the appropriate Gambit yet" or a rare few superbosses. Something like Xenoblades has a combat system like FFXII's but infinitely more fun and interactive.

Also no minigames. No, hunts do not count.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

voltron lion force posted:

Does fishing count? I mean it sucked, but so does like every other FF minigame. Not chocobo hot and cold though, that one was cool.
FF12 had fishing? gently caress me I don't remember that at all. And yes chocobo hot and cold was amazing. Triple triad was fun and the Gold Saucer minigames were a nice time waster too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Grab a copy of FFII, FFIII or FFII for the Gameboy and let the hate flow through you.

Don't forget FF13

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

At least Freya and Tifa aren't Seven from Xenoblade. She can't make use of her high level buffs unless her boyfriend is in the party. It would have been kind of cute if he needed her for his abilities, but he doesn't.

To be fair, that is her 5th and final skill tree. It is also optional and you pretty much need to be level 95+ to get it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

Good lord, whoever did the level design for FF XIII-2 has a massive hardon for making the player sit around while pieces of the scenery rotate. I thought it was bad before, but I'm about to quit halfway through the last level and google the ending because it is just so. loving. tedious.

I just hope you aren't OCD about catching monsters because some of them only spawn on certain platforms.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Pepper posted:

Walt what, exactly does IZJS "punish" You for?

It makes you play FF12 again. :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gologle posted:

The best parts of FFXIII were Sazh, Snow being a good hearted idiot (this was only a good thing around 25% of the time), and Serah's hotness. Like, holy poo poo. FFXIII-2 just amped it up. But I mean drat, I can almost understand hentai when I look at her.

What the gently caress?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoGoGadget posted:

I've found pleny of save editors for the Xbox version but I can't find any for the PS3 version. If I download a save off of GameFAQs I can't save the game again so those are completely pointless...I guess I'm just not going to play the game. Why do they have to make it so hard to cheat these days? Who the gently caress cares about trophies?

You could just man up and play the game? Or watch some youtube LP to enjoy the fantastic story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

It automated everything I would normally be having to do myself, repeatedly, every turn.

But I thought you hated FF12? :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azure_Horizon posted:

Every character is different in every role. Characters often learn different abilities, have different casting times, and different ways they use the same abilities.

I know that not all characters can learn every single ability, but do their different casting times actually matter? Or is that the level of sperg for people not using certain classes on certain characters in ff12 because their animation is 2 frames longer therefore ruining their dps.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

It's a bit more important in FFXIII to be faster because you're graded on speed so it actually has an impact, but it isn't really as significant as the difference in general skill loadout is, except for maybe the crazy people who do no-Crystarium runs.

Right, but what is the difference in cast time? A few frames or something actually noticeable like a few seconds?

edit: Genuinely curious, since I just beat ff13 and then put it down forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

Genius. I'm determined to beat those other Ronso first time, handsomely. I've had enough of their poo poo.

Don't they scale to your stats/level? Heard they did.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Winks posted:

I still don't get how you say worse combat. You're not locked into essentially what was a crappy tutorial mode for hours like XIII and paradigms are far more customizable.

And the most important thing: paradigm switching is faster. That alone makes it so much better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So I guess I got into the final FF14 PS3 Beta. Is there a Megathread for that game at all, or do we just talk about it in this one? I went about three pages in and didn't see one...

It's in the MMO HMO.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

And thank Christ for that. I want to use characters I like in a game, not use characters because I have to in order to survive. I'm playing Tales of Xillia right now, and it's really infuriating that I have to use the awful little girl character just because she's the Designated Healbot. If I don't like a character, I should be able to chuck them out of the party but still be able to cover all necessary bases for an effective team.

Leia can healbot as well with her heals and buffed item usage. Also Teepo and Elize own :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm curious as to how they're actually end this. Of course, there's always "Kill god", but that's every JRPG ever. I mean, while I've said that most of XIII's story is an unedited sloppy mess, it as least has a conclusion that is satisfying to some degree. XIII-2 doesn't, even including the bullshit "DLC gently caress you buy the third one" ending - but it being the middle part of a trilogy - okay whatever.

I dunno, I just want to see what's lurking at the end of this clusterfuck.

Lightning goes back in time and stops Etro from saving the party with her god powers at the end of FF13 which stops this whole terrible chain of events from happening. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 27, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NIV3K posted:

What's the best version of the first four Final Fantasy games? Are the PSP versions the best or are the gameboy and DS versions better? I'm not looking for which is most pure to the original, more which is the more fun version (whether that be improved mechanics or improved dialog and plot presentation).

I'm not too sure on the details of the best version of 1 or 2, but definitely the NES version of 3. If only because the DS version is such an unfun piece of poo poo. For 4, I'd take the GBA version just because I find the psp remake has some ugly sprites, and the DS version is unbelievable ugly to me. Gameplay wise, FF4 DS is probably the best though it can have some frustrating parts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, I'm only about 4 hours into the game right now and the first 90 minutes or slow are a little monotonous, but it reminds me why I like a good classic JRPG.

:psyduck: How is FF13 like a classic rpg? Maybe a few of them were linear, but that's about it for similarities.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress all SaGa games. :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently FF10/10-2 delayed until 2014

That is disappointing if it is true. I bet it releases within a month of 13-3 too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 2, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

I keep hearing this, but whenever I take a look at gameplay, it just looks like your typical theme park MMORPG where you just pick a class and get a samey, homogenized career path. Is there any room to make your own experiences, or is it just another MMO where you play the game how the devs want you to?

The latter. And the "amazing writing" seems to be humorous innuendo rather than good writing. If anything, the story unfolds super slowly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

I personally play EVE with other goons, and even though it's fun enough, the game it's built around is still bad. I want to find an MMO with some actual gameplay, but with the same sort of depth to it all. Something where you can grief, scam, steal, manipulate, and still have a fair amount of player-created content too. Theme park MMOs are really boring, but I love the sandbox experience, something where you aren't locked into just PvE/PvP/Quests/Story.

I'm mainly basing this off of playing WoW for a little bit, and that was all just "pick race, pick class, and go on our ride and receive the same exact gameplay experience everyone else does", with no space for unique experiences.

It definitely isn't as open or sandbox as Eve. It is basically structured like WoW, except with a FF skin. Except you can change to any class you want to without making another alt so I guess that's new.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah OK the writing isn't award-winning and it's also absolutely riddled with ASOIAF references, but it's still a far cry better, and better localized, than anything SE as put out in the last decade, probably. That's why people tend to gush over it.

I thought it was all the innuendo every 3 seconds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

:crossarms:
Venat's motives are seemingly; "Free everyone from my species iron-grip on history, teaching mortals our secret to making magic rocks, then needlessly killing myself by giving my power to a mortal."

What's your interpretation?

Ya I always wondered the same thing: Why was he considered a villain again? He did want to free the mortal races from essentially being slaves or puppets to the gods. I am probably forgetting something so please enlighten my ignorance :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well, he/she/it's an antagonist because it's aiding the Empire, who want to control everyone, whom the protagonists are opposing - but being an antagonist isn't the same as being a bad guy. It's just a matter of perspective.

So I guess its ruled by the empire or ruled by gods? Either way, you are a slave.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Veks posted:

Source

:v:

Just wait for the announcement of this being turned into Half-Life 3 when Valve buys SE in like 15 years.

Final Fantasy 15: The Last Guardian

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neowyrm posted:

Oh, totally. First one I finished, too. I completed VII not a week ago, so that's two, and now I'm going to do the rest pre-XI; I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VIII, and IX. I'm so excited.

Skip 3, and probably 2 as well. They are pretty much terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neowyrm posted:

I'll... ah.... read a plot synopsis of II then.
Think I'll still do III.
Thanks for the warning!

Good luck. If you have to play 3, just play the NES one. Not only is it better balanced, it doesn't have stupid stuff designed by people who hate you like job changing fatigue. Also it looks better yea I said it. drat FF3 and 4 on the DS look terrible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68045/final-fantasy-x-3-a-possibility-says-ffx-scenario-writer-kazushige-nojima

Give us the prequel where we play as Jecht, Auron and Braska. Dresspheres are changed into beardspheres.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Give us the prequel where we play as Jecht, Auron and Braska. Dresspheres are changed into beardspheres.

Game would be awesome. Keep the battle system from 10-2 or evolve it further.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-3 should be all about Brother. And blitzball. poo poo just make it a full on blitzball simulator.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Final Fantasy X-2.5 audio drama plot summary

Hahaha no. Just no. TAY 2.0

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Seeing as the remakes took longer to make than the original games, they probably want to get some value out of the engine / assets. In before 10-4 sequel and 10-0 as a prequel.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I have a soft spot for FF8 just because it can be broken so hard, but goddamn is the story poo poo. Even the premise is pretty hosed up: hey lets run a PMC using child soldiers :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It will be released the week after The Last Guardian :v: