Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm preparing a Torin's Passage SSLP and had a question about how I should set up conversations.

The game loves to revel in its animations, so I thought perhaps animated portraits:

It must have been one powerful sorcerer--or sorceress!
Why? And who around here has such power?
No one I know, but--once there was such a person, but no, Lycentia's been gone for years.
Lycentia? Who's Lycentia?
Oh, I don't think it could possibly be her. She was banished to The Lands Below years ago!
The Lands Below! She must have been evil to be sent there!
Yes. And there's no way you could ever find her down there!
I know what I'll do. I'll find this Lycentia and force her to release my parents.

But I also worry that that would be distracting. Here are still portraits:

It must have been one powerful sorcerer--or sorceress!
Why? And who around here has such power?
No one I know, but--once there was such a person, but no, Lycentia's been gone for years.
Lycentia? Who's Lycentia?
Oh, I don't think it could possibly be her. She was banished to The Lands Below years ago!
The Lands Below! She must have been evil to be sent there!
Yes. And there's no way you could ever find her down there!
I know what I'll do. I'll find this Lycentia and force her to release my parents.

What is preferred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nidoking posted:

You definitely want to use still portraits for dialogue. Save the animations for things where what you're seeing is important. You might even show just small portions of the screen - it was pointed out during my recent LP of the game that they only ever animate a small portion of the screen over a fixed background, and I can never unsee it. Ditto the early Myst games and other contemporary CD-ROM games.

I'm still really green to .gif editing, so correct me if I'm wrong--would optimizing the gifs allow me to still retain the full-sized screenshot so that it could match the rest of the stills? It would only be the small portion of the screen that's animated, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thank you for all the gif suggestions. Huge help! I also wondered if there was a freeware version of Gif Movie Gear? I'm using Gif Movie Gear 4 right now and I absolutely love it. It's only got the 30-trial and I'm dreading when it's up. I'm short on cash at present and am trying to save money where I can.

Niggurath posted:

Well you can edit out the inventory portion and keep it to some fairly simple animations, which I think Torin seems to do. I was able to make this and it's fairly small...and doesn't look horrid.

Yeah, this was the look I had envisioned.

Mega64 posted:

How well GIFs optimize depends on how much movement is going on in the GIF itself, or more technically how many pixels are changing between each frame. If it's, say, a platformer where a character is running and the background is constantly changing, optimization won't really do much. However, if it's a static background and there's not much movement, the GIF can be merely a tiny bit bigger than a normal screenshot. Of course, older games with fewer colors will give you smaller file sizes.

It's best to experiment for yourself and see what kind of sizes you get from animating certain things. You can always cut frames, resize, or crop part of the pic if you really like an animation and want to use it despite getting stuck over 2MB.

It's all static images with small movements in specific areas (i.e., picking up an item, talking character, etc.).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

There's a few alternatives out there. You can make the GIF in VirtualDub (assuming you don't already do so) and then optimize it in GIMP or Photoshop (the latter giving a bit more flexibility in what you can do), and I've heard good things about GifCam, though I've never touched it.

I wish GIF Movie Gear wasn't so expensive, though, if only so I'd recommend it more. I've got it down where I can make a GIF in less than two minutes thanks to it and AvsPmod, which is great when I may do as many as ten or so an update.

I'm seriously considering getting a license anyways. Thanks, though.

w/r/t video and sound: I'm not planning on having very much at all since I'm going to run Torin's Passage as a SSLP, but I was interested in posting the game's trailer and the game's soundtrack. Is it okay if I just post YouTube links I found? Or is it better if I host videos on my own account? Does anyone care? Is it okay if I just use YouTube links for the OST as well? Again, should it be on my account? Is Tindeck or something like it preferable?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Psion posted:

I'd say best practice would be your account. You never know when someone else's account will get deleted or they'll remove the files, leaving you high and dry. For sound only, it seems like Tindeck is the obvious choice. I can't see why you'd use YT for it unless I'm missing something.

Good point. I only thought YT cause someone already posts the OST on there. Thanks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

valkhorn posted:

Except you appear to be more cautious than I. I tend to be one of those people who eventually will learn and improve, but I take massive risks sometimes and those can lead to colossal mistakes. But I've had a few good rewards with great risks in my life.

If I may make a polite suggestion for the future: if you're going to take "massive risks," it probably pays to be humble rather than defensive when people make criticisms of your efforts. Having followed your threads, that seems to be where most people have taken offense.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Choco1980 posted:

This of course, still doesn't resolve my question of a better way to do dialogue. I really feel like I need something more than emboldening the speakers' names.

Custom character portraits?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You could just use famous people who share the same name. For example:

Help!
What? Who is it!?
H... Hey! Is someone there!?
Yes. I'm Ben! Who are you?!
My name is Karen! I've been shouting for hours! I'm locked up in some sort of strange storage room!
Oh I get it! So we can talk through the ventilation system?!
Yeah, I guess! Why are you here?!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey. Been working on a hybrid LP with Nine-Gear Crow. This is our first VLP, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's a Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire LP with a gimmick. I don't want to reveal all our content before the LP goes live, but here's our introduction:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15914

Here's a direct link to the video:

What we're really after is feedback on the video. How are the levels?, is the quality alright?, would you watch an entire LP with the two us?, etc.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a really short level! If we needed to a tonne of re-editing, the idea was that we could have a fast turn-over rate between test posts.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Shadows Of The Empire HLP is live.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JamieTheD posted:

Er... I'm gonna assume this is genuine, 'cos you've done other stuff before, but... dat commentary needs work. Serious work.

Seconding this. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that commentary, but it's pretty inane.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SSNeoman posted:

Hmmm. I could put brackets around the thoughts. Would that help?

I'm a fan of brackets, but I may be biased because that's what I do.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

I feel you should do an RPG or a MUD in SSLP format. That seems to be the most effective way to present those types of games. If you feel you can do it in a VLP format and keep it interesting, then that's great. If you're concerned that people aren't going to like said VLP, make up a test video to share.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Everything Nidoking says works, I think. It's particularly bad if it's a SSLP, because then you have multiple updates clogging up a single page, and that turns people off even more having to wait for hundreds of images to load.

People aren't obligated to comment, but I think every single post helps if the thread is struggling to fit less than three updates a page, even if it seems like a bandwagon. Aside from spoiler posts, of course.

Even if it's a "good work" or "thanks, I'm really enjoying this," I feel that can really help out some of the smaller LPs. That said, I'm super grateful for Nidoking's presence in my Torin's Passage LP (as well as the other ten or so posters in it, ha).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
One thing about the Deponia test post, I would make sure your character portraits are the same size if you're going to do the SSLP thing. Having different sizes makes it look awkward and is kind of distracting. It's a minor thing, but aesthetics are important.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Question: what's the deal with RTS LPs? More specifically, I haven't seen many, especially older ones. Like, no one's done any Age Of Empires or Command & Conquer LPs, according to the Master List. There were a couple of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds LPs, but they appeared to be quickly abandoned.

Are people just not interested in them? Are they frowned upon?

Or is this just no one getting around to it/the LPers not being able to finish the LPs?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DStecks posted:

what the christ

:stare:

What am I watching. You shoot lasers from a Jesus-sword in order to "save" Romans before they hug you? Video looks good to me. I'm interested in seeing how bizarre this game becomes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's probably more that a thousand different factors that affect whether one game gets a tonne of feedback compared to another. I'm noticing a huge gulf in terms of thread activity between my Torin's Passage and Shadows of the Empire LP. The former is getting regular views between updates but not a lot is being said.

Here are the possible reasons for low thread activity that I can just name off the top of my head:
-it's an obscure game
-it's a point and click adventure
-it's an older game
-it's already been LPed somewhat recently by Nidoking
-it's an SSLP
-I'm not offering any viewer choice
-it's not a jrpg or a Star Wars game
-I'm a new LPer, thus an unknown quantity, and perhaps people dont want to read my threads
-it's also my first LP, and is probably a littlw rough around the edges
-there are a tonne of major new release being LPed right now
-there are tonne of popular LPers running a thread right now.

The list goes on, I'm sure, but the point is there probably isn't one internal or external factor that accounts for low viewership. I've gotten at least one person to pick up Torin's Passage, though, so that makes it worth it for me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just wanted to say that when your thread is getting five or six posts between updates, even the occasional piece of white noise can be appreciated, particularly in SSLPs when you might end up with five screenshot-heavy updates on one page.

Or 17 screenshot-heavy updates on one page. :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
With regards to getting more traffic in LPs, I'm a fan of connecting the community here on SA. I know we have a "Recommend Me" thread, but I like to give shout-outs to other's LPs when possible within my own threads. Nine-Gear Crow worked in what I thought were some pretty rad recommendations in one of our videos when we were spoofing Red Letter Media. I mean, obviously don't let it drag down a thread or overuse it to the point where it becomes obnoxious, but I don't think it's a bad thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

WizFish posted:

Things you should know- yes there is facecam, and no it's not going anywhere.

Well, just so you know, there's a number of people on SA who don't enjoy facecam. You're going to lose viewership right out of the gate just by having it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lance Streetman posted:

That WAS our objective criticism. We think the facecam is intrusive because we've seen it used before, and it's kinda poo poo. If it makes your subscribers happy, great. We're not them. We're the audience you presented this video to. And if you can't accept the criticism we give, you're not gonna make it.

Listen to this person, WizFish. You asked for criticism for your video, but then asked us not to criticize your video. Do you want honest feedback or not? You asked us to ignore the facecam, but unfortunately, it's the biggest issue.

Aside from the facecam, your commentary is pretty uninspired. You don't really say anything funny or interesting. You just make noises and faces and swear and say things such as "like a boss." That's not really exciting stuff to listen to. You don't really say anything about the game. You just read aloud the on-screen text and say what's happening. That's not necessary; we can see what's happening.

Also, blind runs aren't really fun to watch unless you've got a hilarious gimmick or are a strong enough personality to carry it. The latter rarely happens, and when it does, it happens with a group of strong personalities who are able to bounce off each other.

This isn't to say that you couldn't run an LP here on SomethingAwful, but the audience here is a lot different from what you're probably used to. You're probably going to have to change up your format.

(Hope that helps).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Highwang posted:

So I'm not sure if I should post this in Tech or here so I'm gonna go on a gambit and try here.

My mic picks up my mechanical keyboard clicks and desk vibrations pretty easily through my desk mic stand, and its getting somewhat annoying during streaming and some other things. Would getting a stage mic stand with the extended arm help to mitigate the keyboard sounds from coming through to my mic? I'm trying to gauge if its worth the $20-30 cost.

I'm using an ATR2100-USB for context.

No, I think you're probably better off posting that in the Tech Support Fort.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Slowbeef posted:

Let's not keep dredging this. (that the right word?)

100% correct usage of that word. I've lived in coastal towns and fishing communities, and that word is commonly used for that meaning.

Though they might have said specifically: "Let's not keep dredging this up."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
SSLP sounds good. Clash of Heroes doesnt seem like a VLPable game to me, but if you can make it work, more power to you. Boss fights doesnt sound like a bad idea.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Suspicious posted:

I don't think a SSLP would work. Like you said, there's music but more importantly it's real time strategy, not turn based. You wouldn't really be conveying the experience of the game with just still shots.

I'd still go for a VLP, but with post commentary (for your sanity) and edited to show the early skirmishes but fast forward or cut out all the waiting for the harvesters to bring in more money so you can build more stuff. You'd have to record with music off and splice it in after so it doesn't skip but that shouldn't be too much extra work. Then you pull screenshots from the video and post a battle report to cover the SSLP crowd, or just folks who want to skip boring build up & destroy everything mission #12.

Also when it's time for the final push, it's extremely important that you change the music to "Prepare for battle" and time it so it hits the crescendo just as the heavy fighting starts.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

I think SSLP could work, and would actually prefer it for RTSes. That said, this is a pretty good idea too. It's the repetitive nature of RTSes that sound like they'd be an issue to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zorak posted:

Secret Santa is random.

This is a pretty hilarious idea and I hope more threads get Secret Santa'd.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

It's already been mentioned, but spelling/grammar. It'd be nice to see how you handle gameplay, but so far this looks good. I'm eager to see this done as I love the Shin Megami Tensei games in general, but have never been able to commit to a Persona game for very long for a variety of reasons.

I wondered: are you going to play through normally or do the alternate (Snow Queen) branch? Or Both?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Speedball posted:

Weird, Adam Sessler says that maybe we shouldn't call Let's Plays "Let's Plays," like it's some sort of informal name that keeps them from being taken seriously by anyone in authority. (As in, someone who might have the power to do something about Youtube's latest Content ID fiasco). What else would we call them?

Lettuce Plays?

(Now I want someone to LP Burger Time with that as the title).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just wanted to confirm:

If a fellow is interested in getting a thread archived, they should contact admin@lparchive.org, right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yup, that's right.

Ok. I've got the right address. I sent an e-mail three weeks ago but hadn't heard a response. Must still be on vacation.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wait, wait, wait. I wanna know what it means for an LP to be canon!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

tinkerttoy posted:

As you wish. I feared it was too big, which is why I put it up on Pastebin rather than just posting it straight here. If that's an issue then I'll remove this as quickly as possible.

Ha, no, you're fine. I genuinely worry that mine get too big: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574869

My LP counter-part, nine-gear crow, also has a problem with large OPs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597149

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
You could do an LP where that's ALL you do and submit it to the experiment LP thread.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Crisis on Infinite LPs. It starts once every single game has been done.

It ends with every game that has been LPed multiple times being merged into a single LP--so that people stop complaining about "what's being brought to the table." Oh, and something about Superboy Prime, I'm sure.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Speedball posted:

How often does it happen that someone takes over someone else's LP?

A Bystander posted:

Aren't there also instances where the original LPer abandons the thread for whatever reason and someone else picks up the slack or has that not happened before?

Mico posted:

I can think of at least two instances in which this has happened, and that's just the ones I can remember.

I just did it last month with Smasher Dynamo's Total Extreme Wrestling 2013 LP.

Original: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589192

Takeover:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595903

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Like Polsy says, check first ^^^^

judgementbringer posted:

One more question, is Tindeck generally the best choice for hosting music? Or is there an alternative that you think is better? The music in the game is one of the biggest reasons I like it so much, so I'll be linking the music from the soundtrack in updates.

Probably not a great idea if it's a retail product, as you don't "own" that music. I didn't post links in my Shadows Of The Empire LP, for example, because the soundtrack is something you can still purchase on iTunes. I talked about it, sure, but no links. Besides, it's easy enough for people who REALLY want to listen to the tracks to find them on YouTube or listen to them on iTunes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

judgementbringer posted:

P.S. What would a good thread title be? I'm awful at coming up with this kind of stuff.

... - Let's Play Final Fantasy 8

or

......... - Let's Play Final Fantasy 8

or

...Whatever - Let's Play Final Fantasy 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

judgementbringer posted:

And here are the actual source images those came from.

You should be able to crop those in a program like, say Irfanview, so that they are all about the same.

• Locked thread