Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

RoeCocoa posted:

If you really want to screw up subtitles, you have to focus on the form rather than the content.
  • All subtitles should take up at least half of the screen (preferably the middle half).
  • Proofreading is for chumps.
  • The color of the subtitles should have the same value as the background color, and the hue should be either pink or green.
  • If you can, add a fuzzy shadow in a contrasting color (not black or white).
  • Use lots of emoticons, preferably the horizontal kind. o_O
  • Remember, Times New Roman is more suited for serious LPs, whereas Comic Sans makes all of your jokes funnier and Papyrus adds a personal touch.

This implies that they're in the same place all the time. You aren't doing it right unless you have to go hunting to find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Proteus4994 posted:

Also, when I said that all Pokemon threads are the same loving thing we've seen over and over again? This one is THE EXACT SAME THING.
Clearly getting a mod's approval is only doing so much for pokemon test posts. Can we get a rule saying you'll get probated if your pokemon test post, which is supposed to be new and original, isn't deemed new and original by the Ivory Tower Egghead HQSandcastle? They aren't too common, but they still pop up more than they should.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Proteus4994 posted:

Probating people for bad test posts, even if it is Pokemon, goes against the entire point of the Sandcastle. Shame them, sure, but I don't think the banhammer needs to be pulled out for a bad test post, no matter what it is (unless it breaks forum rules).

You're right. I'm more annoyed than I should be at the internet.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm going to be humble for a minute - I'm one of the best SpaceChem players in the world. Like in the top 10. I'm one of six confirmed people to solve this level. One of four confirmed people who have solved every level in the game. There was a contest to design a thing with the game's sandbox mode that I won. And the videos the other winners made were awful in comparison to mine. So I feel very confident saying that I'm literally the best person in the entire world who can make a SpaceChem LP interesting. I hope.

--snip--

But that said, this LP isn't for people who have never played the game before - it's for those who have and maybe want to get better. Or just love to compete for prizes.

If your goal is as you state, then you're okay. I say that having played through the first two worlds or so. If you expect it to be enjoyable for all, then I'm inclined to say your knowledge of the game will make it much harder to LP.

SpaceChem works because you figure out how to do things as you play. A lot of the time, you don't realize how you're intuitively learning to use the tools you're given. You, as someone that's already figured this out, have to dumb your LP the gently caress down, at least to start, because so many of the things you take for granted aren't obvious in the least to newcomers.

I remember trying your challenge to make the longest solution in that level, but never managed to come close to your "score". I'd watch, but as TwoDayLife mentioned, I'm not sure how many others will.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Brainamp posted:

The threads already up dude.

If you're going to say the thread's up, at least link to it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498372

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ephraim225 posted:

Curse you, exploding cars! Let's Play the F-Zero series!

F-Zero (SNES)
Knight League

I thought it was alright, but not particularly good. It's pretty easy to tell that you had some moments where you were struggling to come up with things to say. At the beginning, I would have liked to hear a little bit more about each car. Even just the name, pilot, and maybe touching on their acceleration graphs.

I also wouldn't talk about Master vs. Expert difficulty so early on in the video. To me it just sets the wrong tone. I think it would have been better to use the dash plates as a segue into the difference, and why you're playing on Expert.

I liked the little tidbits of trivia you mentioned. Things like the significance of Death Wind being the fourth track, and Big Blue being 99% water.

I'm not sure how much you were saving for later videos, but I'd like to hear how each car handles. You mentioned that the Blue Falcon is pretty average in every respect, but maybe go into how tight you can take turns. I also noticed across some sharp turns, you pulsed the throttle. Definitely mention that at some point.

It needs some work, but it definitely has potential.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

OatmealRaisin posted:

Goddrat that is a lot of words to say more videos=better than

Hey now. That's not all he said. More videos and more subscribers = better than.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

asymmetrical posted:

Paywall, as mentioned, access to archived threads, no interstitial ads, etc. :v:

SpruceZeus posted:

Getting around the paywall. :v:
Both of you are wrong. People buy accounts to get around the word filter. Gently caress you if you think otherwise.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

In what universe did he think pimping his Youtube channel in GBS was a good idea?

He thought about it? If you're going to make a claim like that, you need to back it up.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Valiantman posted:

Anything crucial I lack?

quote:

Here's an OP for my planned Fall From Heaven II SSLP, I'll be conjuring up a test update later on but if you have any comments, please speak your mind.

quote:

One thing I'd like to know is how to insert links into the pictures themselves. I don't know if I'll be using it ever again but for the opening "cinematic" in the end of the post it would be nice. It'd stand out better and give more eye candy for the otherwise a bit pale OP.

You can make images link to something as follows
code:
[url=www.google.ca][img]http://lpix.org/1012345/lulu.png[/img][/url]
It will take the image between the [img] tags, and link it to the address specified in the [url=] tag like so:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

foutre posted:

Hello all, I'm looking to do my first Let's Play for Starcraft 2: WoL in preparation for the expansion, and to have fun playing the campaign for the first time. After I'm all done campaigning though, if I'm up for it, I'd like to include some time spent on Battle.net as well. I know a lot of co-op games have been/are being LP'd but it doesn't seem like it happens much for straight-up multiplayer.

Is this kosher? I feel like I would be failing to properly play Starcraft without some ladder time and bming. I would also, of course, roleplay as my campaign character online.

I couldn't say how well it'd work, but there's nothing wrong with a multiplayer LP. In fact, one of my favourite informative LPs is Battlefield 1942.

I suspect you'd have to play quite a few matches to get a good breadth of games to introduce people to different metagame strategies, but it would certainly be doable.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

zythyl posted:

Hey, hey! I have an idea. Maybe viewers enjoy watching the filmer's reaction to whatever the game throws at them?

I didn't have a chance to see your video before you edited it out of your post, but have you considered a scare cam?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

GeneralYeti posted:

Alright, so I've taken some advice on image size, and fixed up a few other things that were bothering me.

Medabots test post m.II

As usual, any advice?
Your screenshots are still blurry. See the comparison with the one someone posted a couple pages ago.
Yours:

Theirs:

Did you capture these directly from the emulator or just resize the ones you had? If the latter, there's no way to get good sized screenshots without having them come out really blurry. You should play through the section again, and take them at the proper resolution.

I didn't read your test posts, so I'll defer other critiques to those who did.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

zythyl posted:

That's why I'm experimenting with a mix of post and live comm.

I'm not going to do a text base P:T LP, that much I have decided on. I want this LP to be the kind someone can watch, sit back and relax, enjoy the pacing, enjoy the commentary, or be something they can drag to their second monitor while they do work. It's a very passive experience; about as passive as watching a video can be, really.

Torment has spell animations, voice acting, music, and sprite animations that really make the game what it is. Not displaying these in trade for a more analytical text based LP doesn't seem fair to me. It just doesn't do the game justice.

Look, you clearly want to do this. We obviously have our apprehensions we've voiced about the concept. At this point, just put up a test post, because this conversation doesn't look like it'll go anywhere.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

melodicwaffle posted:

That was what I had originally, but me and my co-commentator thought those were a tad too big. I'll see if I can whip up something a bit smaller than 640x480 but bigger than what we have now. Thanks!

You should just go with 640x480 images. After all, that's the native resolution of the PS2.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

melodicwaffle posted:

All right, I went back and made some changes based on the feedback I've gotten. Is this better?

Personally I'm indifferent to whether you use your avatars or bolded initials for your commentary, but the full sized screenshots are much better. I've never been good at critiquing commentary, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

zythyl posted:

The only advice I remember receiving is no VOs, stray away from VLPs of text heavy games, and don't spend more than I normally would on a static screen going over stat distros for ~2mins.

The rest has been 'oh lol look at this' which is fine - I don't really give a hoot, but doesn't really help in terms of me improving what I have to offer.

Niggurath posted:

Hmmm, well your screenshots could be larger, you could definitely stand to use character portraits for dialogue rather than the character name italicized. Also you're are describing in words what could be shown in gifs or screenshots, like the skull circling or the room being occupied with other people. Also it's usually good to have a test post be something closer to a full update. Like you start by skipping over the intro cinematic and leaving the viewer without any idea of the setting. Actually looking at the screenshots now, it seems like you've cropped out most of the screenshot and I'm not sure why. There are just so many issues here, and I cringe at the idea of a narrative LP when there was already one done that might have drawn viewers away. Also Lizard Wizard has a very unique style that he has cultivated and I would say to stay away from trying to mimic it as it does have a very easy chance of going badly.

sentrygun posted:

The dialogue portion just looks like a wall of text because the only formatting you did was italicizing the character names, but for whatever reason you decided the main character shouldn't get the same separation. Make the elements of the dialogue more distinctly separated, whether this be with character portraits, better formatting, or something else. Planescape looks to be one of those games chock full of words and is famous for being one of those games. Don't leave us with poorly formatted dialogue when you're trying to get us to stare at huge blocks of text at a time.

That looks like valid advice to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mondlicht posted:

So close to being done with my test post!

I have the intro to the game recorded, should I also add screenshots for people that don't want to watch the video? It's a screenshot LP, so it'll be the only movie, but I'm not sure what's preferred.

If you don't mind putting in the effort, adding in the screenshots for your post works best. He didn't do it for cutscenes, as there really aren't any, but in many of ddegenha's SSLPs, he had commentary-less videos for boss fights, and also went over them in typical SSLP format. Do a ctrl-F for Boss Battle to see an example of what he did.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

David D. Davidson posted:

So I've been making a series of deliberately crap Let's play videos for youtube...

Use as many annotations as you can.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Really Pants posted:

Would a single portrait for everyone be okay?

When characters have multiple facial expressions, more is always nice, but there's nothing wrong with just one for each.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

RasputinVarez posted:

No, it didn't come from here, but his LP of SWAT 4 is really good.

Do you mind linking it? I'd be interested in it if it's as good as you say it is.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

BioEnchanted posted:

My setup is plugging 3 splitters into my dazzle, and the black side of each splitter gets joined to the back of the TV with a male-male composite lead and the red side get's the ps2 plugged in:

TV 3---\
E\
---Splitters---Dazzle-Computer
E/
PS2 --/

3 and E being the two sides of the composite lead.

If you want to make an ASCII diagram like that use [code] tags.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Although the challenge makes itself much more apparent, I'd also suggest looking at ddegenha's Solo FF1 LP.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aerdan posted:

The problem with Scribblenauts is that it's so hilariously open-ended that the only way to make it not a clusterfuck of epic stupidity is by VLPing it.

I strongly disagree. The two abandoned Scribblenauts threads were both really good, and both were SSLPs. There were some videos for additional content, but the main updates were all presented in screenshot form. Both took all solutions from the thread, but unlike streaming it, they were able to cut out the stupid suggestions, which as we all know, does wonders for readability/presentation.

I tried watching the video, but found it really dull. No doubt, it's one of those "you had to be there" things to enjoy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Onean posted:

I don't think anybody knows exactly what it takes for the unlimited upload length switch. Confirming a phone number is one way, though there seems to be other ways, or possibly other ways that were grandfathered in. Phone's the easiest guaranteed one though.

I got the time limit removed when I uploaded 10 videos. I don't know if unlisted or private videos affect it; all mine were public.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

I tried using Fusion too actually. I got this by disabling the Filtered option in video, it's not as good, but if you want to stick with fusion for some reason:

e: Actually, taking another look, just capturing from fusion at 640x480 instead of resizing seems to give a better looking image then my screen (same quality, better looking text.) Which kinda goes against what I thought I knew about this stuff, but whatever! It's pretty late, maybe I'm just missing a quality loss.

e2: If you use Fusion, disable Filtered and enable Brighten in Video, and then just grab screens at 640x480, you can get this:

Which is also pretty good by my standards.

Both of those look bad. You can see the uneven pixel sizes in the text very easily. Notice how in both of those screenshots, the Ds aren't identical. What you should be doing is capturing the screenshots at their native resolution, and resizing them to 200%, so as to not gently caress with the aspect ratio.

I got the following using BizHawk's built in screenshot function, resizing it to 200% in Irfanview.

From the couple minutes I spent messing with Fusion, there's no way for it to display/capture games in the proper aspect ratio.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I haven't done any objective tests, but I saw someone link this fix on Twitter, and Youtube seems to be working better now.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Artix posted:

So I have a question here with regards to image quality. I'm working on getting a Falsebound Kingdom LP up and running, and wanted to see if there was a consensus with regards to what the best quality level was:

Given those, I'd go with 90% as well. The 100% are noticeably better in your second set, but I don't think that's worth the increase in file size.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

judge reinhold posted:

Guys, if we can get back on track here, I'd like to submit a test post for critique.

After four video LP's that were universally regarded as failures, I've decided to "fly solo" and try my hand at an informative screenshot LP. I feel that the most conducive vessel for this goal would be one of my favorites, Sonic 1 on the Sega. And, please, all you smug a-holes can keep your comments in your pocket.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=11984

:golfclap:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fedule posted:

...what? Given that bookmarks are temporary and there's no Battle Save in Classic mode, what kind of resetting is there other than resetting the entire mission?
I think he means physically resetting the console.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

Nah, I know how to do that. I want it so only the post shows up, nothing else from the same page. The # just links you directly to the post.

Like so:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=411329434

There's a 1 under beside the # for me, and it gives me a link like what you want.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Habermann posted:

Posts like his are the worst kind of YouTube dumps, because they're so transparent in what their purpose is.

Then when given feedback, most dumbers I've seen give some kind of stupidly formal line of thanks.

ProfessorButts posted:

Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it and will definitely take it in.
Probably a stock response for all the feedback he gets on youtube. For all the youtube dumps I've seen, if the person responds with that kind of line, I don't remember them sticking around.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

Well for me it's the fixed-width font thing. Helvetica or TNR is fine for publications or if you're writing a paper in university, but Courier is the One True Font for personal use.

Courier New :colbert:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
You know how professional photographers use those giant lights in front of whatever they're taking a picture of? You need to do that. Just get the brightest light you can find, and point it directly at your screen for best results.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Here's 640x480 resized with nearest neighbor. I tried going smaller but it made the text look weird.

When he said 640x480, he meant take the screen shots at that resolution, not resize the ones you already took.

I only was able to take a quick look, but your character portraits are too big. The ones at the beginning of the prologue are a good size though.

As an aside, you're the first person I've seen to not make a Queen reference in the proposed thread title.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

kalonZombie posted:

Holy poo poo, how long did it take you to make that monstrosity?

Given what the bbcode looks like for that, I'd guess that it was done with a script of some sort.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jaster posted:

Some people like white-noise and funny voices. It's okay if you don't! Even if I'm apparently super bad at them there are lots of LPers who pull this off and have quite a large audience for it.

Tell us, how many of those people are here on SA, the audience you were aiming your LP towards?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Habermann posted:

Oh my God. Once the talking starts, it never stops for even a second, does it? You don't even stop for cutscenes and other in-game dialogue.

Animated Reviewer posted:

This will be a VLP with liberal editing being done to take out as many random encounters and as much backtracking as possible. The ulterior motive for this is to force everyone to listen to the voice acting. It’s... pretty special.

:psyduck:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mega Man, please excuse my German. Let's play Rosenkreuzstilette

Alternate title: Plagarism or homage? You decide. Let's play Rosenkreuzstilette

What is this?
Rosenkreuzstilette ~Blades of the Rose Cross~, hereafter RKS, is an old school platformer created by Japanese developer [erka:es]. Released at the end of 2007, this game takes inspiration from many games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, most notably Mega Man. Last year, they released a sequel Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel.

So, it's a Mega Man clone?
To call RKS a clone would be an understatement. It directly follows the Mega Man formula, and even takes enemies and level designs almost directly from the games.

In spite of this, it does not feel like an imitation at all. The controls are perfect, the levels are a blast to play through, and I enjoy playing it more than any game in the classic Mega Man series. They even made a story that's more than "Dr. Wily made some bad robots. Kill them, then get him."

This game looks awesome, where can I get it?
You can buy a digital copy from DLSite here, and the translation patch can be downloaded here. The sequel is also available on DLSite, although there isn't a translation patch out yet.

So, how is this LP going to work?
Even though they added a story, the main focus of this LP is the gameplay. As such, I will be playing in arcade mode, where it automatically skips all the story text. Each level will have its own video, and at the end I'll point out any references I catch. Accompanying the video, I will post the dialogue I skipped along with sparse commentary, and music links.

Hey, you missed when they referenced X
There are a ton of references, so it's very possible that I'll miss some. If you notice one I miss, post in the thread, and I'll mention it in a bonus video after the LP.

Are you going to show off RKS ~Grollschwert~?
I definitely plan on showing, but as of yet, I have not beaten it, so don't expect a full playthrough.

How often do you plan on updating?
As short as these videos may be, they take me an embarrassing amount of time to put together. I'm going to realistically aim for one every other week, but no promises.

Updates:
Update 2: Rapunzel's Anguish

------------------------------------

A couple of notes. This is supposed to be the second update, as there is an intro stage. Actually, I haven't completely planned my boss route, so that might change, but I thought this would be a better average update to critique.

Some things I know I need to improve. After doing my commentary, I noticed I was going through the level too fast and didn't give myself enough time to talk. This is my first real attempt at doing commentary, so I don't quite have a feel for how long I need to talk about the game. Sometimes I don't figure out what I want to say until after recording, but never you mind

I would like some feedback specifically on how I handled the references. Did you like seeing the part in RKS as a refresher before showing the MM footage or would you like it better if I left them out? I left out the boss fight because I figured that would be more memorable than some of the level elements, and wouldn't need a refresher.

Thanks in advance!

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the responses.

Bellmaker posted:

I'd definitely go with a Mega Man reference in the title to give your viewers a clue what they're in for, just because that name is something else.

I'm planning on using my bolded title. The other one would just sit at the top of the OP.

Dithiannim posted:

Maybe this would be more suited for the Mario, Sonic, and Megaman fangame thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558453

Just my thoughts since it's basically a Megaman clone. I actually played a bit of it, and I'm not sure if it deserves it's own thread.

I hadn't seen the thread before, but I don't think my LP would fit in there. Just from reading the OP, it looks like that's meant to be a collection of funny LPs, whereas mine isn't going to be.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Personally, I'm curious about the game's story so if your not going to play on the story mode, I would advise mentioning it in the OP. The references at the end of the video are fine and were handled well.

I mentioned in the OP that I will be posting the transcribed dialogue that I skip with some sparse commentary, so I've already got that covered.

• Locked thread