Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

NG+ seems crazy awesome.

Too bad I can't decide what character to play as yet so who knows if I'll actually get to that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Anybody else try mage/sorcerer? I was torn between that and assassin but ended up going sorcerer because it's something new. So far it's been pretty bad because anything that isn't a wolf or goblin can 1 shot me. I'll stick it out til I get a new spell or two but may restart as a strider. I'm about level 20 but haven't really done any quests yet after reaching Gran Soren because I was unable to make it through the wilderness to them.

I just want to feel all-powerful but so far it's been too squishy for me.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Update for potential magic class people:

I've given my sorcerer a bit more time and have started to enjoy it. I actually downgraded back to mage for the time being so once I get the augments and spells that I like then I'll switch back. Now that I've got a bit better gear and a competent party together my survivability has gone up and overall things are much better.

Protip: get an elemental staff ASAP. Having a fireball on my normal X attack helps so much and no longer requires boons from support pawns.

e: My GT is Rabbit Holed if anybody needs an archer pawn. Mine is named Kavinsky, he's a total 80s dirtbag but pretty handy with a bow. I've currently got him set up as a ranger and he's got decent crowd control because he can attack many people at once or send individuals flying off cliffs.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Aha, oh man, thank you for this. I was wondering if i was going to be running around with that ridiculous low damage pew pew thing forever.

What spells and auguments are you staying in mage to get? I'm level 11, rank 4 Mage and was thinking of switching to sorcerer now.

I got a staff in Gran Soren with fire enchantment that helps tremendously for pesky wolves. DrManiac is right though, stay with mage until you're decently high rank in its vocation because a lot of the spells will transfer over. If you switch to sorcerer then you're basically starting from scratch with access to only the weaker spells. I'm going to hit 9 with mage so that I can get the last two augments and have a steady skillset before switching back to sorc.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

grrarg posted:

I'm going to start sending Pawns back with lanterns since people don't seem to realize that they can use them too.

Ha, I've actually been doing this. Lanterns are fairly cheap yet nobody seems to have one on their pawn. It really helps brighten things up if everyone has one, so as thanks I let the pawn keep it once I replace them.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone know of a good archistaff in the game? The only two I've seen are at the merchant in Gran Soren but those won't cut it. As a mage, I got a good staff from the lady that walks around Grand Soren, but I haven't found an archistaff equivalent on her.

It's kind of a bummer that I maxed out mage and have awesome spells to work with after switching to sorc, I just need a better archistaff to go along with it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

bruno jarbridge posted:

-Clicking in the left stick will change the targeting mode from auto to manual. Useful for hitting bad guys from far away or casting Ingle at some scenery for dramatic effect.

This is goddamn brilliant and every mage needs to know this. I'm level 30 and didn't realize this but it's a bit of a gamechanger. One of my major complaints is that spells that lock on don't have a long enough range but now I'm able to manually aim and pull targets from much further away.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Quest spoiler question about the trial:

If Fournival is convicted, is he unavailable to shop with anymore? Is there any reason to prove his guilt? It seems much more beneficial to have him available in the future with cheaper prices on top of that.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I bought some hair dye from the RC shop but it doesn't seem to be anywhere in my inventory. Any idea where it may be?

On a related note, I also bought the black glasses but didn't realize that they take the place of headgear. If anybody wants them, or any other armor for that matter, just let me know and I'll grab your pawn and gift them to you. My GT is Rabbit Holed. I've got a lot of stuff for all sorts of classes that I've stockpiled in my deposit box.

e: one more thing. I gave a forged idol to the weapon guy in Gran Soren. Did I screw up? Nothing has changed since I've done that and I was hoping for new stock

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 25, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Probably have to use it from the main menu.

Thanks, that was it. Looks like buying hair dyes unlocks them for the character editor. After going to the barber I see that there's a new section available where new colors will show up. Weird thing is that there's 14 spaces, only 1 of which being used by the color I bought, and only a few other colors available in that store. I wonder what else may show up.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hatter106 posted:

Help! At the bottom of the Everfall, am I supposed to (boss fight) just keep fighting the tentacles endlessly? Do they stop eventually? Or is there something special I should be doing?

You should be running like hell. Just get out of there

-Blackadder- posted:

Is there an alternate quest option to throwing that family out of Fournival's house?

Maybe not. You can buy the house yourself for 80k if you speak with Fournival but they may end up evicted even with that, I don't know. I gave the family the 30k to get them out of there

Question of my own: I did the quest for the weapon merchant in Grand Soren, except I gave him a forgery. I think I hosed that up. Am I missing out on anything since he doesn't have access to better weapons now?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any quest items where making a forgery is the better way to go? So far I haven't seen any

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Spoiler about the trial:

I gave all of the acquittal notes as well as a forged affidavit for innocent, then discarded everything else. He was still found guilty. So much for options... but I guess that saves some thought because it doesn't matter what choice you make

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone know at what point Madeleine's idol quest opens up? I already gave one to the blacksmith but Madeleine hasn't mentioned anything about wanting one yet.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

It was a slow start with a lot of early deaths, but sticking with mage and moving on to sorcerer is paying dividends now. I really understand why that dev was quoted as saying it's the "strongest class."

My staff can kill any pesky wolf/harpy/goblin with one burst of its regular magic shot attack, with lock on and homing capabilities. High Maelstrom will obliterate anything and everything, High Comestion is highly effective in most situations, and High Gicel makes short work of the drake. The most dangerous thing to me lately are archers which still don't pose too much of a threat except for in one particular quest that had dozens of them around.

On one hand I don't like how the enemy spawns are static, but at least now if I know there's going to be a pack of wolves ahead then I can cast necromancy and use the charged orb barrier move to kill everything as I run straight through.

Aside from that, I've just switched my pawn over to mage so that I can have a pure support person in my troop if anybody wants him. The long-term plan is to have High Anodyne, High Halidom, Fire Affinity, Spellscreen, and two debuffs for crowd control. Prior to this he's spent a lot of time as a strider so he's got enough strength to act as a pack mule as well. Currently level 42 or so, GT is Rabbit Holed in case anybody wants him for free.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Wow, the game sure gets pretty nuts in terms of difficulty after going beyond the Great Wall. I was really getting used to this all-powerful thing and now that seems to have been taken away from me.

e: I mean this in the best way possible though. It's makes everything fresh again like the beginning of the game is, except with all of your skills you feel like even more of a badass

Teeter fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 25, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm level 34, I just met the duke for the first time, and at the moment nothing I have met yet is a serious threat anymore. Is that going to change soon?

See my edit. I'm playing a sorc and got to the point where nearly everything could be killed with 1-2 spells, giant monsters included. I'm only a few minutes in to this part and I've already faced MUCH stronger versions of wolves, saurions, and now a Chimera that rivals the forest drake. It's awesome

e: I'm lvl 43, for reference

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Ledneh posted:

How do the magic classes tend to play out? Sitting there channeling with lots of cast timers and cooldowns, or more mobile?

It takes a bit of strategy. Either charging up spells and then approaching groups of enemies to unleash them on, or knowing what spell to cast when. There's so much in battles that's context-sensitive that I've really enjoyed it.

For example, if there are a ton of bandits then I'll start with high necromancy before they reach me to thin their numbers a bit while they're immobilized. If I'm in a tight area then high gicel can take out many people at once, and a well placed comestion can be devastating if it's timed right when enemies are grouped. I keep ingle for quick casting, and maelstrom for times when everyone is distracted and I can really unleash. It takes a bit of maneuvering to make sure you're both out-of-danger yet still in range to be a threat, as well as quarterbacking pawns around. I also find myself using the basic X attack quite a bit because it's a rapid-fire homing shot of whatever your staff is enchanted with. Quick bursts of that can stun most things while you move around.

The cooldowns are definitely a factor, but the spells are so powerful that you've got to account for that and make every shot count which ends up being pretty cool if you ask me.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Major post-game spoilers here:

My main pawn, who was my healer, mysteriously disappeared during the Beholder fight. I've done a few more chambers since then but I think I've reached the breaking point. I have few curatives remaining, no cure for petrification, no mage for heals nor status repair, and it's just plain impossible for the three of us to keep going. I haven't used a wakestone in combat yet because I wasn't sure if it would just bring me back (only to inevitably die again) or something story related that would autosave and have me regret later. Am I screwed, or is it time to kill myself with that fancy dagger that appeared in my inventory?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Fizzil posted:

You can go back to town easily, just drop in the hole and it'll drop you in the sky again, can't describe the effect cause my english is bad, hold onto the first ledge where quince i think her name was gave you the quest, then walk over to the door to exit into the pawn guild, the inn-keeper is there, the blacksmith and shop are still running, and the forger/black cat owner is in what remains of the tavern

Thanks, that'll solve it. I suppose I should have remembered it from the first cutscene that the everfall loops back around with the sky, it just didn't dawn on me that it would be used as a gameplay mechanic. I almost gave up; it was starting to become impossible to get through everything with no items and an incomplete party

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I missed a lot of quests on accident at the beginning so by the time I realized it I just said "gently caress it" and skipped through a good chunk of the side stuff to beat it quicker and move on to NG+ for a proper 100% run. It still took me a decent amount of time to beat, and I ended the game at like lvl 53 or so. The only problem is that I did this first playthrough as sorcerer and really want to give assassin/strider/fighter a try but feel like I've gimped myself quite a bit by reaching this point without raising HP or strength or anything. Is there anyone going through NG+ that can comment on what level progression is like? If it's not too bad then maybe I can salvage things

That post-game and ending though, holy poo poo :stare:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

The best part about post-game as a sorcerer is that the resistances of every new enemy are drastically changed. Fire was the end-all ability in the normal game but that gets flipped around quite a bit. Not only does the post game require an entirely new moveset, which made things fresh, but having different skills with different cast times and effects meant that my play style had to adapt quite a bit as well. I really wish NG+ would take up where this left off

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

How early do Sorcerers get to learn the augment that reduces spell casting time? Thinking of switching my healer pawn (a cool oldish guy with glasses tyvm) to Sorcerer long enough to get that but going without him will be rough for a while.

Also can Mystic Knights and/or Magic Archers use the heal and buff spells? Maybe I should switch him to one of those :allears:

edit: vvv oh right, totally forgot!

It's pretty late in the class that you get the ability. If you're on xbox then I can give you a particular quest item that reduces cast time. I started NG+ as a warrior so I won't get much use out of it and can get a new one at some point in this story as well.

Switching from sorc to warrior is a huge change and so far I love it. It's nice to get a completely new take on the game, though it's a shame that everything is so weak because of the level I start at. At least it makes me feel like a badass. I created He Man which is a perfect match for the longsword. His curious lack of pants makes it all the better

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Where in the name of god did you find it? I think my quest is bugged. I wiped out the all female camp because they attacked me and the quest says it's somewhere here but I can't find it.

Also, is there any way to fast travel in this game?

The only method of fast travel is to use a ferrystone to warp back to Gran Soren, which returns you to the portcrystal there. There is 1 portcrystal that you get to place anywhere yourself for a second fast travel option, however in NG+ you can buy more for 200k a piece. I've started to build up a network of portals so I can get just about anywhere in the world in a few minutes, it just costs me 40k for each time round trip.

Moose King posted:

So I tried switching to the Mystic Knight after 30something levels of Strider/Ranger/Assassin, and I'm really missing the ranged versatility. Those three all have things that I like a lot, but each has it's drawbacks that I get bored with really easily. Ranger's longbow is powerful, but I really miss the strafing mobility of shortbows. How is Magic Archer, in terms of damage output? I'm not sure what my magic is right now, but would it be too late to switch over to that? I think my character is a bit too small framed to be a fighter or a warrior.

I'm also considering switching my pawn, Cassius', vocation. I've got him on Warrior now, but I'm thinking about switching him back over to Fighter so he can be a bit tankier.

Keep in mind that you can buy a metamorphosis potion thing from the guy in the encampment that will let you edit your character. It's a one time use item but if you really feel it's necessary then you can beef up your character a bit for that fighter role if you're ever considering one of those vocations. Or become a 12 year old girl, as is the DD tradition.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 27, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I skipped through a lot of the game on my first playthrough because it's not like many of the quests were that riveting and I had already missed out on stuff that would have kept me from getting the hero achievement. NG+ started and I blew it again without even doing any of the story; all I did was go go Gran Soren and didn't realize that I had already boned myself out of quests because of it. Game does a really bad job of pushing you forward at the beginning without mentioning that there's still things to be done. Looks like this game just won't let me 100% it.

I was hoping that I could just start NG+ over again, but the Godsbane or whatever it's called just made me brutally commit suicide in the middle of Gran Soren square before giving me an option to reload. I guess it works as a bailout if something happens where you'd need to reload a checkpoint, but that's about all.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Myriad posted:

How do I get more port crystals? Just hit the end game and want to litter the land with them.

Buy them at The Black Cat. 200k each

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Holy poo poo is is almost impossible to find pawns that aren't Guardians. No I would actually like my pawn to attack enemies, thanks.

I really wish that it would be possible to see a pawn's inclinations in the rift. I started messing with those AI potions on my own pawn and it made a world of difference, but I'm not sure who out there has done the same. I've rented some pawns that just don't fill their role properly because of how their AI is set up.

My pawn is a lvl 60 healing mage if anybody is looking for that on 360. GT is Rabbit Holed. She's pretty wicked after redoing everything. She's always on top of healing, enchanting, buffing, picking up loot, and basically being a perfect personal assistant.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

RageBeef posted:

It really puts a smile on my face when my pawn comes back from adventuring with someone else and seeing how many rift crystals he brings from a single person. He just came back with 70k bringing his total to ~120k from like 4 returns, glad people seem to like him.

I love this too, especially when you get back all 5 reviews with a comment like "perfect in every manner." Then again there's an occasional low review that throws things for a loop and makes me wonder what my pawn possibly could have done.

Nobody ever got too much use out of mine but I switched it to a female mage (not 12, not sexy) and have seen a steady increase since then. I had my huge payout just like yours the other day but I think I rest at inns pretty often so they get spread out. I'm pretty excited to see what happens when I play again since it's been a few days.

e: my pawn is a high level so there's probably more competition because people visit the rift much less often at that point. When she is used, however, it's for hours at a time with a big payout.

e2: just stopped at an inn and pulled in a cool 299,699RC :smugdog:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

So I guess the big question is: what happens when you gift a pawn with one?

e2: I'm also curious about the Wyrmking ring. I kept it in my first playthrough and just got another one but I'm not currently playing a magic class so I can't really see if the effect stacks. Then again it would be pretty hard to measure anyway. I need to get my hands on like 5 more to see what will happen with all of them in inventory.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Ankle-biter posted:

I hear hell hounds will wreck you if you only have fire attacks, but they are late/post game?

This is true. It was awesome as a sorcerer because by that point I had relied on fire spells to do the majority of my damage. Then hellhounds appeared and turned my world upside down :stare:

The switch to ice was great because all of a sudden my moveset was completely retooled and fresh again since those spells hadn't been used much throughout the game. On top of that, the spells function much differently so I had to adapt quite a bit and play a much different style throughout the post-game. It really broke up the monotony of blasting things to hell with comestion.

Also, it's a bit of a shame that brontide isn't stronger. It was by far my favorite effect but it just didn't have the damage that others do. Lightning doesn't really get an end-game spell like the bolide and gicel equivalents do.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Tufty posted:

Excuse me? Go and purchase Fulmination right now mister :mad:

(Fulmination is really powerful and cool)

I've actually got it but never had much use from it given the rest of my spell set. I just didn't have a spare slot to use that given how effective the other spells were. Maybe High Fulmination is better though. Other than cyclops and cockatrice, what is weak to lightning?

I guess my gripe with it is that the effect feels more mid-tier, similar to comestion or frigor, as opposed to the massive power of something like gicel. Any situation where I needed an aura/AoE spell I felt better off with frazil because of enemy weakness, cast speed, and the freezing effect. Necromancy worked great as well because I'd have mobility and could cast other spells while still having an aura that would protect from most enemies.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 30, 2012

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Det_no posted:

Mine has been hired a grand total of two times so hey :unsmith:

Hopefully higher levels will have less competition as there's less pawns? Maybe? Hopefully? Oh god

In the higher levels there's probably more competition because nobody visits the rift to hire pawns nearly as often. If they do, any pawn they get will likely stick with them for a while unless the pawn dies, sucks, or there's a specific reason why they'd need to adjust their party.

I've probably used the same pawns since the start of my NG+ and I'm already pretty far in the story so I'll be giving people a lot of RC with that. I just pulled in over 100k RC from someone who must have had mine on quite a few expeditions of their own.

I could use a good sorcerer pawn if anybody has one on xbox. Just looking for anything lvl 50+ that has AI set well enough to get plenty of spells off, particularly big ones for the large foes. The only downside of the google doc is that pawns are constantly changing; either their vocation is changed and not updated on the doc or there just isn't a way to tell what level they are.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

It helps mainly for the mini-map so you can see where they are or which one has been incapacitated depending on the skull color

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

A shame, really. I sincerely hope that something is possible because the #1 thing I want to see is changes to encounters. Randomized encounters first off, but also things like 10x goblin spawns would be perfect. I want to cut through armies of the little fuckers at glorious 60fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Not to mention how incredibly easy it is to make gif/gfy videos using Shadowplay and gifcam. I can have a high res replay ready to link within 5 minutes of a badass event happening.

• Locked thread