Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Hadn't played in like 250 days or so, but finished the new trial last night.

I was surprised by how fun it was, in addition to the new mechanics - and the new slot seems ridiculously overpowered, definitely win/win!

Looking forward to staff fighting going on sale again (since I was lazy and/or busy and missed it on the 7th anniversary)

So.. what's it like on Virtue? I have heard my fair share of horror stories, but it's always fun when goons are around! Is incarnate stuff done.. reasonably? I'd hate to hit a brick wall in character development because everyone is too busy roleplaying to smash faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Virtue is actually one of the better servers for pubbies knowing what the gently caress they're doing in Incarnate Trials.
Well, I just like to be able to jump on and have people willing to try them, I find that it's actually fairly easy to just carry an entire team through them. It's rare that there are enough completely blank people that you can't get them done.. not after all of the nerfs, at least! By that I mean you might end up shouting at chickens with their heads cut off, but if you got all 10 grenades, chances are SOMEBODY will be able to throw one when he's at 15%..

Even if they fail just grinding the XP (especially for the new slot, and merits) is nice, since I can just mail myself threads. And if anybody sticks around, the next attempt(s) go a little faster and smoother.

Hi posted:

Someone post a mids for the most balls to the wall unkillable deathmachine titan wield build that has a damage aura. I dont want fire because I have an irrational dislike for fire aura, but electric for dark armor is good. Money is pretty much not an object, dont make every set purple just to be a douchebag tho.

It needs to be def capped, unkillable, and poo poo damage like a dude thats been a vegan for the last decade and just ate a mcrib.
passtebin

NOT Def capped because I'm bad at math but I originally started building for M/S/L so it's kind of messed up, since TM has Defensive Sweep. Considering the -tohit from the PBAOE you should be good, though.

End cost compared to recovery is a bit high, but should work fine with Accolades and when you get Incarnate powers, you'll have a lot of wiggle room.

I'd recommend Ageless Radial Epiphany for the debuff resistance, and full end bar every 2 min. Since that'll get you fixed up nice you can use Resilient Core Paragon for your Alpha and get a nice boost to your resistance. Alternatively, Cardiac Core Paragon, lower resistances but you can use whatever Destiny you like and still be good.

I've never actually built a TM or DA before so let me know what you think! I'm not even going to attempt to build a def capped EA, but if you want a perma hasten/regen unkillable EA let me know, it does require a bit more work to play than a straight up def capped build but as a Brute, it ends up being a great set for incarnate tanking.

DangerDan posted:

It's not quite def capped (.6% off S/L, ~7% off of E/N/F/C) but you'll have Dark Regen every 8 seconds, infinite Endurance, and basically be making GBS threads damage left/right/center. You might be able to see some improvements if you're willing to sacrifice some of the Kin. Combats or just by being smarter than me. Edit: Also you have 8 KB protection so you won't waste time on your rear end either.
Oops, I interpreted "poo poo damage like a vegan" differently, since the last vegan I knew who ate a mcrib just acted like a crybaby about it. It did strike me as odd that somebody wouldn't want damage to be the main focus of their build!

You're really close to perma-hasten with that build, if you can fit in Cloak of Fear it'll be at the softcap (since enemy tohit decreases) and with perma hasten you'll tear everything up.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 9, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Ah, please add me to the super secret goon channel @Ted Powers please and thanks! I should be on for a good while, yet.

I've started a Radiation/Sonic defender for super debuffs, if there's a need I can do damage or tank, though.. there shouldn't be a problem getting to 50 with those.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

catsuit judo posted:

I know I'll want to respec either build slot again by the early-mid 20s to use single origin enhancements, so is it more efficient to just do the team missions for the free tokens or buy some in the store?
It's INCREDIBLY HARD to mess a character up to the point you "need" to respec them.

I'd recommend, given it's your first time, download Mid's Character designer and just play around for a bit to see what's available in the long-run, or just play it as it goes.

Anyway long story short, you don't really need to respec your character often, we all make mistakes and this is your first time - but you only get 3 trial respecs (I think) and you don't want to have to pay for another, or use a respec recipe for money. Don't use em all up now! May as well use it when you're sure you'll be happy with the build for a while. You should be able to get much higher on whatever build you're currently using.

FYI, I usually use the second build when I reach 50, so I don't have to worry about respeccing the first one, as you'll almost always want different enhancement placement as you're leveling up, and sometimes even use different skills, maybe you've realized they're not that great in the end.

Edit: And, by the way, if you haven't figured it out.. DOs are 2x as powerful as TOs, and SOs are 2x as powerful as DOs. They increase in effectiveness depending on your relative level compared to them, up to +3 and down to -3, independent of the level of the enhancements. Running task forces isn't a bad idea if you've just slotted a shiny new round of enhancements at levels 17, 22, etc. Accolade powers are nice to build as you're leveling, as they grant you permanent bonuses to your character! If you know where you're going to put slots, also consider walking out of the store with a couple extra enhancements in your tray.

Tsurupettan posted:

I just had the silliest mental image of someone using unslotters on TOs. :v:
Those Praetorian origins. Yeah. After 22, or 24, or whenever they stop giving you the proc.

There was a thread about it in the Freedom beta. Everyone seemed to love the idea for a page or two...

OneEightHundred posted:

OK Energy Manipulation is wrong, Gravity's a lot less poo poo than it used to be, and Pain Domination is missing but everything else is pretty much right.
I think both Spines and Regeneration are good. While Regeneration doesn't help you kill stuff as much as some sets, it's very solid as far as staying alive goes.

wid posted:

Also note that when people say "suck" here is that they do not have the biggest numbers. The "good" power sets are pretty much overpowered when we're using other MMOG's standards.
I think it has more to do with the childish mindset that there's one "best" set out there, some awesome combination of powers or traits that make you ridiculously overpowered.

CoH is particularly bad about attracting people like that, assuming that there's some elusive powerset combination that nobody has thought of yet that's an invincible wrecking ball.

All in all, most sets have their pros and cons, but some are certainly underperformers, even sets that used to be great. You can just do so much with IOs now, a lot of what people used to love is just not as useful anymore.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 12, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Hi posted:

It was more a shot at the guy above my previous post that suggested scrutinizing over the best builds for stuff was somehow childish. Some people like to play and argue that peacebringers bring more to a team then frustration, some people like to spend more time in mids than they do leveling their characters, what. ever.
I wasn't suggesting that scrutinizing was childish, but the person I responded to was also talking about the image I responded to earlier.

I've not met any goons like this, but some people in CoH have a mindset that there's some specific powerset combination that is overpowered, without requiring any effort. Not the powersets themselves, pairing them together. It's the price of having so much customization, I guess.

Their thought process works like this:

Spines/Dark was bad
Spines/Willpower is good

I'm going to get another character to level 25 in hopes that I find something even better!

Generally, they're criticizing things without an understanding of them, which is what makes it childish. Of course, the image of the guy's profile is a joke from a goon, but there really are some people like that. If their character isn't strong, it can't be their fault, and it's not the fact that they're trying to perma whirlwind on an empathy defender, it's the game's fault.

I'm of the scrutinizing variety myself.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
What's good about Devices now is targeting drone helps you get to the 20-22% ToHit needed to remove the int period on your snipe / move while casting. Plus, Field Operative still has +DEF. (Yeah, I know it's still the same amount as Combat Jumping, but hey!)

Also, they mentioned how Hybrid is currently working as intended, they'd just like to change Support to feel "more active" ... ;/

But nothing is planned as of yet. They mentioned they've "improved" it on beta as per people's requests, wonder what we'll see with that. Hopefully always-on toggle. :)

Patware posted:

How dare you not remember what /Fire is getting.

Fire blasters are the only blasters that matter.
Periodic heal in Blazing Aura. More healing than the +Regen offers, but not as much as the temp HP from Chilling Embrace. May or may not be worth it considering the end cost.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 20, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Apparently I was reported for "Spamming Thermal - Fire Shield" repeatedly, after "Being asked to stop" repeatedly.... which did not happen.

I'd guess, maybe, somebody just got mad about me going AFK with my demons, since they give off a "Fire Shield" buff, but as far as I know, nobody had asked me to stop with that buff, specifically - but, then again, it kicks you if you're AFK, which has happened to me before. Having a pet summoned that people are free to move away from doesn't really count as spamming in my mind - and I will leave if I'm asked and capable of doing so. Else, people just need to wait 5mins for me to time out...

Do the GMs just not research these reports at all? I assume these things would be in the logs. Knowing how hard it is to dispute charges, you'd think they'd do their research BEFORE punishing a paying customer.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Oni Elem posted:

In other news, Bio Armor and Nature Affinity are now on beta.

e: before someone asks, you need to go into the store on beta and 'buy' them to try them out.
Nature Affinity, this thing I just heard of 30 seconds ago... I NEED IT!!

Thank you bearer of good news.

And also, yeah. It never ceases to amaze me, when something is nothing *but* buffed, people complain. You could leave the functionality exactly the same but make one little improvement and somebody will find a way to complain about it.

That's why I'm of the opinion that major changes won't happen, and if we want what Blasters should be, it'll have to be a new AT entirely.

Edit: Also, according to the response on my ticket, giving people buffs is considered harassment, and you should always confirm that people want buffs or anything before applying them. This includes toggles, so you should shut off anything that can buff people when you're outside of combat.

This actually seems more like griefing to me than actually just giving shields to a few people as they pass by.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 21, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
It's got a cross between Dark Regeneration and Drain Psyche in DNA Siphon. 40% regen to Drain Psyche's 100% (per target) but an up-front heal. 90 sec recharge / 30s duration. This is also -200% Regen, which is pretty significant. That might give it an edge on pylon/AV times, at about 30 less hp/sec.

Toggle DoT is 6.26 toxic compared to 8.36 in Ele/Dark and 9.18 in Fire.

Looks REALLY interesting, at least, and seems pretty fun to play. May not knock Fire off the damage throne but I think it'd be a pretty solid set for beginners to take, seemingly has pretty good survivability out of the box.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 22, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Also this is what BA looks like with all the armor active:

Looks pretty nice doesn't it?

Gotta say, the set is a bit more survivable than Fire but it might not be more survivable than Willpower, at least not "while building" as it will easily overtake WP in the end.

It is probably the set most dependent on having a lot of enemies in range we've gotten so far.

It's going to be great, if it doesn't get unjustly nerfed. By great I mean fun, not overpowered like everyone seems to be crying. They probably have all of the new buffs and boosts active... great testing there guys!

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Cleretic posted:

really, really bad (Tom Powers').
The worst part is I REALLY tried to make an awful costume. Really, really. While most people don't seem to know you can do minimal FX or recolor it, mine isn't even the worst I've seen.

And I don't think those people were trying to make it look bad. :(

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
For an extra 0.09 end/sec you could take Stealth. Same Defense in combat. Also lowers your run speed by as much as Swift adds (not much)

Working on a Bio build now. Hopefully it won't get nerfed too much, since apparently they're looking at the powers now. You pretty much want all of the powers, and want to slot 'em all out. Even being stingy I'm coming up short on slots for a lot of other powersets.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

TalonDemonKing posted:

So the Steadfast Protection: +Resist/+Global Defense(3%) enhancements are going for 50mil right now; pretty cheap compared to their counterpart. You can also get them from the merit vendor for ~125 tickets. It uses mid-level salvage, so hit up the ticket vendor to fill that spot -- poo poo is expensive on the AH.

They do stack however, so picking them both up and slotting them isn't a bad idea if you have the Res slots to stick em in.
The recipe is quite a bit cheaper.

It's also a bronze class recipe roll, and a relatively common one at that, alongside the classic Regenerative Tissue +Regen proc, which is going for 100 mil ATM for some unknown reason. The recipe is still cheap, though.

Cleretic posted:

I don't know if they're comparing it to terrible debuff sets and builds or if it's a legit problem, but Synapse seems to be listening to them.
They're terrible at math and for some unknown reason they think an average for -regen on a support character is 50 or 75%, despite that sets DESIGNED to have -regen will have -500 or -1000. Some of the sets with lower numbers, like Kinetics and Dark (50%) are stackable. Dark also has Howling Twilight available which does wonders when paired with the stacking -50%.

Most people who play bio won't even get the regen debuff to perma levels, as that requires an IO build.

One of the people arguing to nerf Bio, I recognize from the /EA threads from Freedom Beta. They were complaining about the revamp because they were one of the five people who liked undetectable stalker-brutes.

I kind of wonder if these people just want all sets to be terrible so they don't have to buy/play them and their favorite dualblades/regen scrappers won't fade further into obscurity.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I was testing on SOs, and can tell you, the people basing survivability on SOs were counting DNA siphon as being max targets, perma, and regen and heal. Which is impossible, let alone on SOs.

Oh ,yeah, and then there's the 1/3 of RTTC unenhanceable Regen in the taunt aura (balanced mode only) that they were scaling up with SOs.

Well I think we'll see a lot of Staff/Bio. It's looking like it's going to be the DB of new armor sets. They're trying out new gimmicks, don't want them to be overpowered, so the set is *MAYBE* going to be average, if you go to extra trouble.

Edit: Since, apparently, the main focus of the set is going to be managing which mode you're in, and the bonuses for being in a mode are unenhanceable and kind of not good. And the penalties.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Slung Blade posted:

What the gently caress is this pay to win bullshit NCsoft?
http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/parag..._content=boosts
It's the reason Bio got nerfed.

Because everybody immediately tests all of the new shinies at once.

I made a new bio armor character and he has 7% resistance 5% defense and 15% max HP!? whoa that is crazy!!

I can't believe how cheap they are. :(

There's also a new 2x XP booster coming soon.

And also, I can't believe you get perma status protection with the pay-to-win buff, something they've been trying to keep out of the game for ages, one of the primary reasons Hybrid isn't a perma toggle.

Up until this point, I've been OK with the market - some gimmicky things, like the Team Insipirations which you can't get elsewhere, but nothing you really *need* or radically alters your build. I do not like the boosts one bit.

Edit: Synapse is talking about how he expects people to make up for the penalties in Bio Armor with IO Set bonuses. Everyone seems to be getting mad about it not being good without IOs.

The original big argument was that DNA Siphon was overpowered - I said it couldn't even be perma without IOs but no, the set is too powerful on SOs! That's stepping on my Widow's AV killing toes! .. with my two spammable stacking -25% regen attacks and overflowing toxic damage. Nerf bio please!

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 26, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

edit: offensive also takes a resistance hit, I don't remember how much. It does gives 15% recharge and some tohit also, which is nice....but jesus it does NOT make up for that.
Hmm, 2 LOTGs or having the unique ability of actually taking more damage per attack because you're at negative resistance levels.. ?

Talk about "using IOs / set bonuses" to make up for penalties. Just skip the stance toggles entirely.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Quick, someone tell a dick joke.
Everyone's fawning over Synapse in the thread because of how big he is?

Gynovore posted:

It only reduces the duration of status effects by 7%, which is useless. The Defense Amplifier is poo poo, but yeah, the other two are edging dangerously close to pay-to-win land. More money for our Korean overlords.
Ah, I missed that part. Go go listening to what pubbies say about stuff!

Though, the 7% resist/5% def is still pretty nice. It won't keep you alive, but it'll make many sets practically unkillable. Then the survival amplifier.. wow.

These are pretty much made for sets like WP. Fire gets good enough already that they won't make much of an impact after you've IO'd out. But jeez, still.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

motoeisen posted:

Isn't T4 Clarion perma status protection? I swore it was 120sec duration/120 sec cooldown.
For the most part, yeah. But you're giving up some awesome buffs to get it. This was brought up one the forums and ignored. I'm just going off what I've heard as the "official" response as to why Hybrid isn't perma, that being one of the primary reasons, apparently.

Initially the version from Destiny wasn't going to be perma, but they gave in and let the khelds have their fun.

And so they added something like mag 40~50 status effects, that stack, in UG to make up for it.

I'm still not seeing what the problem is of having the mag 10 protection from Melee Core at all times. Heck, I'd be happy with mag 2. You'll still get stunned if a few stuns make it through your Defense, it happens to a lot of actual armor sets, too.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I posted, but I will just reiterate, defense and recharge are normally the two most important things your build for with sets and the loss of the bonus is sad enough, a hit to defense is a complete deal break in rolling the set.
Well, to be fair, you get some pretty nice unique bonuses in Offensive.

We don't know just how effective the toxic damage proc is. It could make Bio into sort of a "glass cannon" - when you want it to be - which I THINK would be pretty cool. That's something you can't build for at all outside of having insane recharge on /FA and having Fiery Embrace up as often as the game engine allows it. (every 36.8s or so) and even then, it's not a reliable addition to your build, as awesome as it is.

Though, without being in Offensive mode, it'll probably still be some kind of paper tank.

But... in Defensive mode, your damage doesn't look like it goes down all that much anymore, so maybe that's the build most people will use? .. not sure why you wouldn't just play a diff armor at that point.

Haven't been able to get into the beta but it doesn't look like any of the changes have made it there yet, anyway.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

LaserShark posted:

From what you quoted, looks like +Recharge is still in Offensive.
Synapse later stated he is removing recharge elements, as Bio is in part a recharge based survival set.

As in, if -Recharge doesn't make sense for Defensive (less click heals) then +Recharge didn't make sense for Offensive (MORE click heals)

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Cleretic posted:

How are Water Blast and Nature Affinity faring? My friend's big into Nature Affinity and really wants it, but I could care less about Water Blast. Are they getting this as bad?
Water blast seems secure. It already seemed powerful, and other than correcting things that were super obviously busted (like, actual bugs) it's mostly getting BUFFED.

Nature Affinity is ridiculously, super awesome. And pubbies want it to be buffed further. The same people who were complaining about the -regen in bio because oh my god it steps on my widow's toes, feel like the buffs in Nature are too weak. Comparing them side-by-side with existing powers, like Wild Groth VS World of Pain, found that Nature had better buffs in comparison. And they need to be stronger!

With that said I basically refuse to play it because it'll still feel like Empathy, now with Flowers. But it's got great debuff potential, CLOSE TO radiation - but a little different (20% vs 30% -res, 75% vs 500/1000% -regen, -53% damage vs -25%) - bearing in mind it's still a primarily buff/heal oriented set.

About StJ: Most people felt that it kind of sucked. I still kind of feel that it sucks. It requires a lot of work to make it perform better than SS, and this is AFTER it got nothing but buffed during beta. I'm fairly happy with how it turned out, in the end, despite the fact that I say I still kind of feel that it sucks. I do recognize that it has potential, and that's great, I just wish that it was generally "better" - realizing, of course, Super Strength is a difficult set to displace, but they're both "PUNCHY SETS LOL"

Granted, as was pointed out, most of the conversation was about "rib" cracker. Much like the majority of the bio armor thread is being flooded with people ranting on and on and on about the set, and then finally at the end, saying that they PERSONALLY could not test it because it was too ugly and that it needs minimal FX.

TW was regarded as being awful. I remember that clearly. Immediately upon hearing about it, and how it worked, I realized that it would be incredibly awesome. A powerset that actually SPEEDS UP giving you the opportunity to chain several attacks in a short period of time... WITH SEVERAL AOES??! How people who claimed to have played it thought that it sucked, I have no clue. Didn't actually take the powers I guess? They'll find a way.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 28, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

TalonDemonKing posted:

I really think that, if Bio-armor wasn't so obstructive like Stone, it'd be more popular with the pubbies.

Additionally, has there been any developer talk about going back and looking at older sets? Blasters /Devices has two of the same bombs in it (One timed, one proxmity); Certain sets probably just need number tweaks (Regen, Dual Blades, Dual Pistols), Beast Mastery is bad from what I'm hearing; Demon Summoning needs some sort of fix for all the howling (It's like the new Sonic).
Yeah, there's no doubt if the set was more visually appealing, it would have been popular.

Then again, the biggest people whining were whining about the -regen, which I could kind of understand. The set played well, -regen is something you're unlikely to notice, though.

And yes, there ARE plans to go back and visit existing sets!

They've said they'd like to go back and look at adding new mechanics to existing sets, hinting at the mini HoT from nearby foes, absorption, etc. - people speculate it'll be Dull Pain, but Dull Pain is already really good, and people rely on it as max hp = more regen.

They ARE going to fix Dual Pistols *sometime soon* with a fix to the animations - rather, NEW animations (no less flashy, as they say) but faster. Apparently they felt the DPA was too low, so they're making them faster to compensate!

I wasn't around when Dual Pistols was being worked on so I'm not sure, but I imagine people universally loved it, despite the swap ammo toggles. People have been hating on bio BECAUSE of the different toggles. DP is now being revised. What does that say about the future of Bio?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

TalonDemonKing posted:

For Regen, Reconstruction could get an absorbption shield and be pretty solid. You can bring the cooldown of Recon down pretty low, so it'd be great for absorbing alpha and giving you some buffer for your regen to catch back up. Instant Healing could use some love too.
I thought that when Regen got the little polishing when it got ported to brutes, Integration (the now taunt aura) needed to have SOMETHING. It's one of the only taunt auras that doesn't improve your survivability, somehow, dependent on each enemy nearby.

And Regen needs it badly.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I can't really comment on the new round of proposed changes, it's been altered so much it's hard to compare current experience to proposed future experience.

It does look like the max HP may have been lowered further - that's no good. :(

We'll have to see how good the toxic damage actually is. Since bio is in itself a slot hog, if it's some super tiny unenhanceable number, you might actually be able to do more damage with pretty much any other set that isn't a slot hog by having slots to spare for your other attacks, and more build mobility.

Also - wow - lots of replies today. Reading through the Starsman vs (almost) Everyone debate. I can't believe people are defending him. Some guy says "Oh, he ALWAYS responded to everyone!" but he never responded to any of my questions. His first chart was following the statement "Here are my numbers, bigger = better, I will tell you what they mean later.. but you can see by this that bio is clearly overpowered!" and 3-4 charts later, when he actually did tell us what they had meant, he had to account for a lot of different things.

I don't think he's even updated his chart since he finally admitted he was counting the "no toggle" regeneration in his defensive toggle calculations, and wasn't counting Health for other ATs.

.. Seriously, though. He counts the heals from Bio as all working at 100% effectiveness, and the base number for DPS as 45 seconds - and uses the heals twice in that time. I'm sorry but if you had the right amount of recharge to get the Bio heals to under 45 seconds, you'd have Dark Regeneration to a point where you'd blow bio out of the water.

I really doubt he's accounting for the -tohit potential of sets like WP and Dark. BUT Since he didn't respond to me like that guy said we may never know.

Edit: To really be clear... Regeneration gets BURST down. You don't need (the amount of regeneration it has over X seconds) to kill it, you need (its max HP inbetween click heals and regeneration ticks) to kill it.

Using a system where everything is going to be alive for 45 seconds is really, really stupid, and skews the results greatly inbetween spreadsheet and in-game performance. I highly doubt this person has actually played Bio as he claims, or someone else on his team is tanking / providing buffs/debuffs.

Arcanaville;4289289 posted:

The devs have always been somewhat distrustful of numerical analysis, and even though I live and die by it, a couple times literally
:spergin: quote of the day

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 28, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Ted, Arcana literally said in the thread that if no one had mentioned the -regen, and only she had Synapse would have nerfed it.

Also, Ultimus is a complete loving moron who doesn't play the game and Starsman is making of bullshit numbers.
Yeah, they've both gotten a bunch of flak for those comments, though.

Arcana seems to ignore it all and Ultimus is just acting like he's a successful troll.

Sometimes I love the forums. When powersets actually come out, I hate them. But it's pretty fun watching them roll out, regardless of the eventual outcome.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Bakalakadaka posted:

Last I played they ranged between 60 and 100 mil, they probably won't go much higher than 100.
Yeah, if you REALLY want to save money, buying recipes and salvage is almost always much cheaper.

You can even buy in bulk, and sell some extra made IOs to actually make your cash back. Buying them this way takes quite a bit more time, though.

Alternatively: Reward Merits aren't a bad way to go if you're new. You can either find whatever gives you the best return, or get what you need.* Merits become quite a bit easier to get at 50, and not a terrible way to earn inf if you can't farm.

*But you'd still better check the market first, always buy what's cheap for inf. it's easy enough to get!

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 29, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Some sad notes: It's a universal damage set, so I'm not sure if it can be slotted into KB powers that don't do damage and they're unique.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
It would be awesome if you could put the proc in any power and it WASN'T unique, like the other pieces of the set.

That way you could put it in as many KB powers as you like, and even go for two 4 part bonuses.

Oh a man can dream.

Also, even though the feedback from the proposed changes was so universally bad except from the people who don't matter that the set was getting proposed BUFFS even though Posi wanted us to go ahead and test it with the lower values, Bio went ahead and was updated with the first round of changes only.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Wow, nice find on the Rogue & Vigilante superpack.

New scrapper proc is (unenhanced) a 2PPM 50% crit chance buff

SoA is global toxic proc

Defender is PBAOE +Absorb

Some of these things are amazing!!

Can't wait. Now I don't feel so bad about finding a few more enhancement catalysts.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

TalonDemonKing posted:

What's this about a new ATO? I just finished my superior brute ATO on my main.
Round 2 of ATOs.

They seem basically identical to the first round - only one enhancement is different in each set (for Brutes they have a Dam/End/Rech instead of Acc/End/Rech) the set bonuses seem similar for some ATs, but radically different (and bad) for others (like Brutes) Procs are generally pretty good.

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4290778#post4290778
There's a post on the VIP section about it. There are two in a row. You can also use enhancement catalysts on them.

Edit: Was kind of "Meh" about the Defender/Corr sets... but wow, with Max End and Recharge being #2 and #3, you can get the actual useful bonus twice!

And for all you MM lovers out there, their new global is a RES/Regen aura for your pets.

I wonder if they're going to come out with a SuperPack 3: Praetorians. And then where will they go from there? Origin packs?

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 30, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Guys, I lost track of the Nature Affinity threads and IT RECEIVED A HUGE NERF TODAY. Pubbie tears are streaming down the mountain right now.

.. the gigantic, gaudy flower FX were toned down. The ones that actually prevented you from seeing things on the ground that you needed to take a look for, such as the rings in BAF, bubbling sludge in the sewers, Halberd bombs in Apex.. etc.. etc...

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

minimalist posted:

It really reduced the griefing potential of the set, so... bad. :(
Yeah, literally the only reason I'd pick the set is to run around prancy-dancy scattering flowers everywhere. But I'm not going to pay for that. Sure, in my mind, I'd fool myself into believing that I'm griefing, but secretly, the pubbies would love it.

I mean, other than maybe the sewer trial, it's not really that big of a deal. BAFs might have a higher failure rate, but people already die all the time to the halberd bombs, and there are other signs you can look out for if you're actually paying attention. So it's basically not a big deal.

DressCodeBlue posted:

I never thought I'd see what might be a serious sexy snowman MILF.
I feel bad for the "Mother of the North Pole" that thing is HUGE.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Cleretic posted:

He can't/won't beta test any of the sets on test right now either.
So does that mean they're going to be sub-par too?

He's going to make sure of it.

OneEightHundred posted:

It's hard to recommend even without bio armor when Willpower, Energy Aura, Ninjitsu, Dark Armor, and Electric Armor exist.
Yeah... I personally really like Regen but if you're a returning player and aren't sitting on a load of cash you might want to just try out some of the new sets.

They'll be quite a lot better without as much work or inf. :(

Some of the new arcs are pretty fun too.

(Also, you can get in on farms fairly regularly so you could be 50 faster)

With that said, I'm predicting /Regen getting some changes within the next few issues. MAYBE not before Radiation armor, but they're gonna roll out some fixes "soon."

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Ben- I would really recommend going for Agility.

+Hold isn't really that great (and I have used it before) the extra recharge will let you remove a slot from Hasten, or give you a lot of flex room with your slots (don't use so much red fortune)

Also, it'd be more useful to slot Fearsome Stare with -ToHit than Fear duration, IMO.

Using Cloud Senses turns it into a -16% ToHit debuff, and the Fear still lasts 23 seconds.

Also, I see you're going for Typed AND positional def, you really want to do one or the other.

I will keep looking at it but these were my first thoughts.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
The End discount is pretty amazing. I'm really curious to know more about this proc- how often, and how long.

Using a Brute's base stats, the Regeneration is 1.25(6.25) hp/s, with accolades (125%) it's 1.5(7.5) hp/s.

Still not bad (each stack is the same number as Numina's) if you can rely on having a stack on at all times during combat, but it'll be pretty amazing if you can consistently have a few stacks - the end discount is going to be a huge part of it's usefulness, though.

Conserve Power just keeps getting worse and worse!

(Now we just need to get the Blaster, Controller/Dominator and Scrapper procs fixed!)

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Rixen posted:

Am I the only one who finds it hysterical that they put Dual Pistols on sale for like 80% off on Independence Day?
Peacebringers are on sale too! :clint:

Water Blast was just announced for next week. Hopefully it's more like the general descriptions of the power and still doesn't have crap like water jet lockout.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

You can't have two versions of the same set, but you can have one each of the two different brute sets.
It's worth it to note that the upgraded set bonuses share a lot of values with purples, as well, and aren't special - so you can easily hit the rule of 5 on 10% recharge bonuses, now. :(

(Which is actually a good thing, I guess)

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 4, 2012

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

OneEightHundred posted:

Fortunately for everyone that wants to make a piss blaster, the names "Territorial Markings", "Marking Territory", and "Marking My Territory" are free.
Knowing Virtue, not for long... yuck.

Also, I think the days of powersets exclusive to ATs are done- at least as far as new sets are concerned. It doesn't make sense for them to release a set that only certain ATs can make use of when it could easily just be for 3-4 and it'll sell better. Furry-friendly ATs/sets are a special exception.

Hopefully this means it won't be too much longer until we get spines brutes.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I did psi farming on a mind/psi/psi dom, against enemies with the ENTIRE stone armor pool as their secondary. They only used Granite.

It was pretty awesome, but a big investment for something that wasn't really worth it.

Also, I showed up late and contributed next to nothing, but great CoP run!

Next time (if it's not tomorrow afternoon) I will have a T4'd 50 ready to rock.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a thing!

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Last page in the current Bio Armor thread debacle. Arcana's relationship status being called in to question.
I think the guy was asking Arcana out. It was kind of cute.

Also I really hate that thread. There's a triangle jerk and they think they're right because THEY KEEP RAISING THEIR VOICES ABOUT IT TO DROWN EVERYONE ELSE OUT.

It's no surprise that the only people who think it's overpowered are the people too busy being on the forums to actually play it, or are playing it as a Tanker and then running numbers in some bizarre fashion.

Arcana seems to think Staff is good so if anyone can get the word to the devs, her input should probably just be ignored completely. It'll take a few years but I'm sure Staff will eventually get the DP treatment.

the Val posted:

I'm not sure they can generic costumes. It probably won't fly if your name is phallus related though.
They can and they do. I think it's a little button they press that deletes your bio, changes your name to GENERIC(numbers) and reverts your costume to a dude in white tights. The tights might retain colors, though, not sure.

Even if your X or Y isn't infringing, it all gets changed if Z is.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Golden Girl is the worst person pretty much. I've had them on ignore for a while now.
My favorite part about Golden Girl is that, I'm not sure if everyone is in the loop or has them ignored, but they'll be every other post in a given thread they're interested in, responding to everyone.. and rarely, if ever, does somebody respond back.

It's actually good for a laugh whenever I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
That's so awesome.

RIP Bio #1 but at least you had a backup!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

That was just me bullshitting. I doubt they'll make the origin pools actually origin specific.
Yeah, I think they're going to limit you to ONE of the new pools, but I highly doubt it'll be origin-specific which you can pick, even if they are based on the various origins.

If we'll be able to get them in addition to our four existing pool picks, I dunno... it's gonna make for some really interesting builds in the future, though, if the powers are half decent.

The T9's are all going to be underwhelming, I think.

Call it a feeling.

• Locked thread