Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

You need to start a new names list again. Help your goons connect to fellow goons.

Also, IRC stuff
#slamurai on irc.tribalwar.com - the more popular one.
#tribesgoons on irc.synirc.net - the goon only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I have some days off work soon, maybe this would be a great opportunity to help teach you how to get good at Tribes:Ascend really fast with a goon workshop. I'm sure Schottingham wouldn't mind helping out here. Anyone interested?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

I know this is a total noob question, but what's the quickest way to take down a generator that's been upgraded a couple times? Anything past level 1 or 2 and it just takes forever.
Infiltrator stickies. You can do a lot of damage fast on gens with them. If you want to sit in the enemy gen room though, jug is your best bet.

nelson posted:

I just hit this. I was having fun. Now I am sad.

I'm playing technician and this one dude keep taking out the base sentries from half-way across the map. When I chase him down, someone else always gets into our base and destroys our generators. WTF am I supposed to do?

Nothing, that's how disurption works. Defend your gens and hope someone else goes out to kill him. This is after all, a team game.

Saturday might be a good day to do this goon workshop and help you guys out a bit.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

duffath posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm in the Goon Tribes steam group, and although I've never used mumble I have just installed it. But I can't seem to connect to the address you gave me there. Any input on what I'm missing?

Make sure you certificate is set up and you say yes to the pop-up box when it comes up.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

So that Goon workshop. Want to do it tomorrow? Around 8 CST?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Please add Rynex to your friend's list. Come to the Slamurai mumble at crits.org:52903 tomorrow, and we'll go from there.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is the goon workshop at 9est to tonight?

Yes. Tonight's the night. I set up a channel for you to all meet in.

Wadjamaloo posted:

I work until 6:30pst, and they might need me to stay late. If this is still going on when I get home I can help out people, mostly with capping and skiing.

I'm not sure how long i'll be doing this for, the "Animal People" are coming to my workplace today. Wife really wants to go marvel at them, so I might have to leave early myself.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Workshop abandoned due to rain (I was called to a scrim)

This is still a great time for newbies to the game to start joining the Slamurai/Goon mumble. Most of the people who join this Mumble know what they're talking about.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

I really want to know what this means.

Also, at least I don't feel as bad for being stuck at work during the workshop thing knowing it was canceled.

Furries. Yes, I did end up going and taking a look. It was weird.

We can see about doing the workshop maybe next week, but I will really need to get hold of a private server first. Might speak to egocentric about helping out there. I'm hoping we could also get a 7v7 going, since that is where you'll learn most about the game. If we get more than 7v7, we'll switch people out.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

The pony guys is strange but something I could totally see happening as a "this happened once" sort of thing and just shrug it off. Having some furries show up at a bowling alley regularly in costume is not a thing I can understand as being part of a typical day at work. My job also sucks, and I have some stories, but I'm not sure if that is hilarious, uncomfortable, or both if I am getting this right.

It's a monthly thing. There's a lot of them. Rootbeer and I entertained the idea of doing a goon meet there on the same day, but after going and seeing how busy it is, it's pretty much impossible. It's a good thing I don't work those nights :)

padijun posted:

playing a 25+ match is so loving frustrating because it's pretty much all bullet weapons all the time. and I have to carry the NJ5-B or LMG because it's an arms race. abloo bloo bloo

It's called "Hand-gliders and Water-hoses" for a reason. Auto's are going to be nerfed more over time I bet.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

So I've been playing a lot of LT at the moment. LT is "5v5 CTF, Pathfinder Only, no base assets". It's a hell of a lot of fun, the barrier for entry is pretty low (you only need pathfinder unlocks, and a few perks at most) and it's a great way to get into the comp scene.

Looking at the spreadsheet, and noticing how large the list had become, this may be a great way to start a in-house goon tournament. If people are interested, please say so. It might even be worth setting up a show-game with some goons and get it casted for fun.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

MadHat posted:

The guy has a bunch of hacking or otherwise breaking the game videos, you will notice every single video is using a different name. I am kinda curious how many accounts he has gone through by now.

He's changing his name in game. The whole thing is done with module injection. Tribes Ascend is pretty broken and easy to hack.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

EightBit posted:

I grabbed the enemy flag on that rainy map going over 200 km/h, and somehow got rocketed up into the sky when I touched a corner of the flagstand. I wasn't watching my speed but I imagine the initial launch put me over that speed.

Ah, yes. The Raindance Flagstand. Also doubles as a trampoline. It's something to do with the door or the ledges. Rootbeer knows more on this.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Is there a platinum matchmaking bracket above gold? I'm rank 34 right now and the average skill level is pretty tiresomely low.

It's called the competitive scene. Unfortunately, pubs are so much of a cluster gently caress past rank 20, you're not going to find a solid game unless you're playing comp.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I think the ideal SoF setup is the same as the HoF, Safety Third and Quick Draw. You will need to switch quickly between your chain and explosive (Ar/thump is the most popular combo, but some people use spin/eagle effectively) and safety third gives you the extra proxy which you will need (use the proxy grenades to throw at the capper as he comes in to grab). Safety Third also increases the throw speed for nades, which is useful for throwing at cappers.

By the way: all the setups I recommend are useable in comp play. I have heard that the short-fuse frags are more powerful than proxys, but they're banned in comp and PuGs so I don't really use them. If you don't care about such things: try those out as well!

Quick Draw increases grenade throw speed. Safety Third increases radius and gives you an extra grenade. If you're going to play Solider, use the utility pack also. It gives you an extra one in stock.

Short Fuses are banned in comp due to the inability to dodge them. They simply blow the other 3 out of the water. It's like a quick, off-hand mortar.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

So the Newbloods Tournament 2 is starting in 10 days. This is an open tournament for new players (or old) to get into the scene and start playing. Schottingham and I have decided we'd like to start a new team as coaches, and make a new goon team.

If you're interested, message me on IRC either at #tribesgoons on irc.synirc.net or at #slamurai on irc.tribalwar.com

You could also post in this thread and tell me directly... I guess?

We need between 7-10 people for this.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

SoggyGravy posted:

What kind of time commitment and skill level does something like that generally require?

Not going to lie, it's quite a bit.
You need to be fairly into tribes in order to make the leap from pub to comp. That said, the game is a pretty rewarding experience when you start playing against teams.
You'll be finding though that, as soon as you start playing competitive level games, pubs seem incredibly dull and unorganized in comparison

Rynex fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 10, 2012

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Fina posted:

Guys what will I do when hirez bans me??? :saddowns:

Make another account. Apparently they don't IP ban :D

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Section Z posted:

Wait, seriously? Why is it the more I read about "Organized" games and Comp play, the more it just seems like it's a bunch of crybabies who want to make sure their special specific way of playing isn't ruined by people doing things they can't handle while doing SUPER PRO MILLION SANICS antics?

Alright, i'll bite.
The reason is that when you start to ban some of this stuff, the game feels a lot better to play. Most of the bans are done to try and keep the game fun. If you want to use these things in pubs, then you should! Nobody is stopping you, and if anyone says otherwise, then they are probably stuck with the comp mentality. Pubs are meant to be simple mess arounds, much like any other FPS pub game.

Section Z posted:

Whiteout grenades? Banned.
Jackal? Banned (or so other people in game claimed).
Does it have the word plasma in it? Banned.
Base assets upgrades? A default part of the game anybody can use? Banned.

Whiteouts probably would be allowed if you could look away from them. The way they are now, it's pretty easy for offense to clear the stand.

Jackal's main issue is the fact that it really extends the infiltrator's capabilities. The anti-air capabilities and the use of it on the flag stand are pretty brutal. They've been nerfed many times, and still scene as pretty OP in comp.

Plasma. Yeah. Well, we all know that it's piss easy to hit something out the air with them. They are like the ST Akuma of tribe.

Base upgrades are a weird one. Some rules say you can upgrade them to level 2, some say you can't. The main problem is that it's super easy to make your base have level 4 stuff when you have a shared cash pool. If it was possible to change a various elements to this then im sure they would be allowed, but level 4 turrets are incredibly strong. A turtle team such as Team Epidemic makes great use of them.

I'm pretty sure the list is getting extended every week, and its mainly the top players pushing their leverage and threatening to leave the scene if their demands aren't met. The newest one being the sniper limit for Team Warfare League.

Honestly though, play LT. Having no base assets and 5v5 pathfinder only is great fun. It might seem like super smash brothers "no items, fox only,final destination" thing, but it actually works. Sometimes stripping down a game to it's core elements is nice.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Sup rootbeer. I had a sneaking suspicion you'd respond as well :D
Come hang in ego or my personal mumble some time, yes?

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Section Z posted:

Maybe I should just make posts entirely composed of racial and sexual slurs, they would probably be more well received than my opinions on base asset upgrades.

Though, I probably shouldn't have risen to the 'look at the backpeddler' bait in the first place. That was dumb.

Maybe you should just keep your opinion about comp to yourself, because... you know, you don't play comp.

padijun posted:

is the 200 damage lowish-impulse jackal shot anywhere close to that of a 700 damage prox grenade? honest question, I don't know comp games

Not really. The thing with the jackal is that is severely buffs the infiltrator in ways it shouldn't. If we honestly let the jackal back in, everyone would be using it and we'd see nothing but invisible O clearing the stand all the time.

treat posted:

Comp players are big fat whiny homosexual babies but being gay is totally okay, even for babies, if you kids know what I mean. :pervert:

Do not insult your king.

Rynex fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 24, 2012

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Pretty sure someone in this thread said that most people at rank 50 had about 900 hours put into the game at the time. I have about 115 hours played and I'm halfway through rank 18.

Yeah, that's about right. I'm rank 41, and I've been playing since November last year. Hours only started being recorded in April and I was around rank 25 then.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Section Z posted:

Having it explained and reminded "how the good ones do it" is good. It means that just maybe I'll pay a bit more attention to see if the guy spamming VFF once every 5 seconds is an idiot, or "doing it properly." Just because I'm not making half assed walking grabs whether or not VFF is being spammed doesn't mean I shouldn't start to be more aware of the team's Path Quality.

However, I have A Thing against counter intuitive, mislabeled, or "The community has hijacked X to mean Y. There is no game documentation way to know this, you can only know it means Y is another player tells you." so called Facts.

I'm such a big fat baby about that sort of thing. I uninstalled DCUO after trying it for less than half an hour over "Documentation and in game menus lists Charge attack cancelers, just like Champions Online. Oh by the way, those don't actually cancel charge attacks. And PvE enemies are immune to holds and everything else during charge attacks. Nobody in game will tell you when you ask and you have to search for a thread made by players explaining this hidden fact."

Granted, that's being mislead about basic gameplay elements. But "Listing in game/instructions is not actually how it works" in general gets to me more than it should.

"I have the flag" has always been something cappers use to signify to other cappers and O that you are claiming priority. It something that's been implanted into the game "by the tribes community" to stop people llamaing. It is not the trait of a bad path, but a good path because he is letting his team know he's about to grab.

You analyze the semantics of things a bit too closely. Lighten up.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

Someone said soldier needs to have thrown disc, and a spinfusor pack that spews out discs in 360 degree radius but is on a cool down. The 5 disc load out of ultimate tribal honor.

We can go further, A fractal grenade that shoots out disks instead of laser beams.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Is the slamurai server still up? It'd be loving awesome if we could just gimmick this poo poo one day and have an all brute melee showdown consisting of nothing but goons.

I have no plans to ever take it down. The box it's on is amazing, so unless we're super desperate for resources, It's staying up.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Section Z posted:

I've developed an insane paranoid theory/excuse for my sudden loss of Auto competence. I wasn't great, but I could at least consistently tag of chain up people on a smooth trajectory, or be drat sure I'd fill a slowly hopping heavy full of holes in a duel.

Now? I'm never getting more than one, two, MAYBE three bullets connecting at a time on a slowly hopping Juggy firing disc at me. A target that loving big, with a rate of fire that fast, how the hell would only that few bullets hit them?

I think you just need to practice your chain a little in TDM for a good 50 kills a day, adjust your sensativity until something feels right and take your time. Turn on simulated projectiles only if you're pinging over 70.

This is how I became so good at mid airs and chain... I simply practiced a lot.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

My tribes now gets stuck on "Tribes Ascend is Validating"

Tried re-installing. Deleted everything and reinstalled.

Nope. Guess I don't get to play Tribes anymore.

This happened to me recently, and I had to completely uninstall everything on steam and download the game TWICE just to fix it. Can't say that it was helpful when I had a comp match to play about 30 minutes before (and guess what, I didnt even end up playing anyway.)

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

So, this was posted on the Smite forums recently by the HiRez CEO. It pretty much confirms what we alreayd knew. "Tribes is hard, takes ages to learn and is pretty niche."

HirezShadowControl posted:

While many fighting games can be competitive, they can also be enjoyed by a large audience if players are matched up well and the game mechanics allow for it.

In general most players new to tribes get few kills, have a hard time skiing well, and stay with the game for a fairly short period of time do to those difficulties. This is the data and the feedback we get from those players and not anything coming from the PR department (if we had one)

So, I had a chat with a few of my team-mates and we're pretty much in agreement that the game is on deaths door right now, and will probably be left to die after Christmas. People are simply growing bored with the game and moving on, and the barrier of entry into the comp scene is so drat high that its near impossible for anyone new to come in and enjoy it.

I estimate that anyone interested in playing comp needs to have put in at least something like 200 hours into the game, unlocked the majority of stuff and have spent quite a fair bit of cash(around $60-100) on the game. You absolutely need certain stuff just to be able to play a particular role in comp effectively, and have a lot of practice of using it. Then you need a basic understanding of how roles are played, how to sync O with cappers, how to do stalemates, calling out where cappers are coming from, the list goes on and on. A lot of the stuff takes a good while to learn too, and then there's also the problem with whether you gel well with the team. The worst thing about playing comp also is that it pretty much destroys any desire to play pubs again because they aren't the same.

So yeah, Tribes really has a poo poo ton of depth and is definitely a niche game, and the way it's been built up over the past year has effectively ruined it. If they had done the game with a "competitive game" focus in mind, the game would probably last a good couple of years.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I guess this thread will slowly become about "What did YOU put on the Tribes:Ascend Survey?"

Rynex posted:

The reason I gave you a 0 for "I would recommend Tribes: Ascend to a friend" is because this game is a loving train-wreck.

Let's me start by saying that you guys have tried really hard to make this game well, and your efforts to try and improve the game have been noticed. However, your company does not understand how Tribes is played at the highest level. You have one person, (HiRezBart) who vaguely understands the core concepts of the competitive scene, but the barrier of entry into really enjoying this game means you need to invest a serious amount of time and a substantial cash drop of around $40-50 to even remotely enjoy it.

Firstly, some of the balance changes you've made to the game have improved the quality of the experience, but for whatever reason, you've made some really dumb and outlandish ones (nerf to nitrons, sentinel respawn nerf, flag drag, rock routes and more!) usually because of some knee-jerk reflex in order to satisfy some one.

Secondly, some of the guns you've implemented into the game have been really poorly considered, and some of them have had to be banned because of how stupidly designed they where (plasma gun's hitbox, jackle's airburst ability, short-fuse frags, smoke grenades, white-out grenades and emp-xl's) are the newest one. Somebody is utterly clueless about how the game works, and just seems to throw stuff into the game in order to make people buy it asap. It's like you're slowly injecting content into the game in order to make money, not to make the game more fun and interesting.

Speaking of content, why is it taking so long to produce maps. We would have a ton more maps made by the community if we could have some kind of publishing tools to work with. Heck, the game would be a much better experience if it wasn't hosted on your cloud server system. Just give us dedicated servers and the ability to create maps and the community will be fine.

Finally, demo support. This is something that was promised during the start of beta. It's almost a year since then and we know now that you guys can't do it. It's stupid to think that the reason we cannot have demos is because it's all done server side, and trying to make some kind of client recording setup is going to take a long time. We need this in order to confirm the validity of certain players not using hacks like triggerbots and aimbots, especially in a game with hitscan weaponry.

The game is good, despite all this but I would never recommend this game to anyone knowing now that you don't really know have a clue about how to fix the game. Just rebuild the game from scratch, fix all the above and sell it $20. Make it a Tribes game, not a F2P cash shop FPS. HiRez, you were really on to something with this... but you've obviously lot your way and failed to understand what makes a good game.

Oh, and all those awards you won... they don't mean squat when your player base is dwindling every day (which is obviously why you've done this survey.)

Yours sincerely,
Rynex

PS: Not that I have a problem with HiRezBart, but he's the wrong person to act as ambassador for this game. He's been helpful, but you need someone in your staff to play competitive Tribes in order to understand what I'm talking about.

Wow, I got really mad writing this, but this is probably the only time they ever read what is actually wrong with tribes and figure out how to fix it.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

some people use [BUTT], and stumps is a traitor with some other lame tag :colbert:

Stumps joined 311.

Schottingham and Myself are always changing tags despite playing for egocentric. Having LLJK is cool for like 30 minutes I guess, then you realize there's much more fun things you can have as your clan tag.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't know you guys played for ego! Neat!

Has this been going on a long time and I'm just oblivious? I haven't played much in the last 3 weeks...

([8==D] is best clan tag)

Schotty's been in ego for a couple of months now, since the demise of Slamurai. I joined up around 2 months ago.

Horizontal Tree posted:

EDIT: Oh, does anyone actually USE the Mumble? The only times I was actually in there talking to anyone was playing pubs back when Slamurai was still a team. I like chatting and organizing a little while I play

The mumble is pretty much dead at the moment. I'm still running it just because... but most of the people who used the Slamurai mumble have begun to move to the egocentric mumble.

I am going to keep running the mumble though, for the simple reason that it costs me absolutely nothing to do it.

Also, hello plz to Handen from last night. I still wont check your reg date. GG's, you actually seem pretty good for someone so new to the game.

Rynex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 11, 2012

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Team Slamurai has risen from the ashes as a Arena Team and played our first official match.

http://www.twitch.tv/silverchaos/b/336553775 (Start's around 23 minutes in)

We're now RANK 1 on the ladder.

All Money No Skill.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

WTF, and I don't get an invite? I am the number 1 kill feeder.

You're the team bitch mascot.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

There was a general agreement from my team that Lava Arena is just not fun to play with that many people. It's too tight, and too much of a cluster gently caress with all the AP grenades just flying everywhere. I agree that the life pool size is a bit too big, but at the same time it felt very tense pretty much the whole time while we was playing. Hinterlands was probably the most fun to play on, simply for the lack of inventory stations.

Regen actually isn't that big an issue, all you need to bear in mind is that you need to hit them and reset an enemies regen. It's also the main reason why raider is so powerful, because you can cover yourself from having an enemy reset your regen with the shield pack.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Artificer posted:

I noticed that a lot of the Soldier players are still using the Thumper. Is the Spare Spinfusor just not good?

Spare Spinfusor is ok, but the fact that the thumper has an arc is what makes it so potent.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Goop posted:

I know some of you guys are on ego, so I want to say good game again in your scrim against Anytime. Even getting stomped on Arx was fun because I just haven't seen that style or level of play in any other match so far. It's just a scrim, but it still gives me some hope for parts of this game.

GG's. The custom servers are broke to hell, I hope the downtime fixes it. Glad you enjoyed ARX as well. Redish and I seem to have some great synergy :D

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

I will talk to rynex. He keeps talking about making a community out of it.

I'm up for it. Considering how well things in ego is turning out and how Slamurai is the NUMBER 1 TRIBES ARENA TEAM IN THE WORLD,AMERICA, TWL, I am seriously thinking about it.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Egocentric vs Vex - I played the first two games.
http://www.twitch.tv/ibn1/b/337397325

Only one I can find is this one. The Slamurai arena game when we got rank 1 on the ladder has been taken down by the caster, and the other game we played wasn't even casted due to the enemy team being a man down.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I don't watch a lot of casts. Are the casters usually this terrible?

Pretty much. phr33ky is probably the best one to listen to because he actually makes it fun to watch, especially when a sniper DRILLS a capper with a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I've started streaming more Tribes games recently. The quality is shakey as hell, but I can't really do much about it until I get a better connection.

Some recent games

As HoF
Ego vs dL
http://www.twitch.tv/rynexgfx/b/338713642

Ego vs PK
http://www.twitch.tv/rynexgfx/b/340451799

As LO

Ego vs MIA
http://www.twitch.tv/rynexgfx/b/339710599

• Locked thread