Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I really don't think this is true anymore (if it ever was).
When HR said the deals were custom tailored to the individual I do t think it meant any further that not showing you things you already have.

To the guy that can't load maps. Try going into the settings on the launcher and look for repair or verify cache. I have heard of that fixing similar problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Matty D posted:

Is thrust basically mandatory for a PF capper? I'm having trouble obtaining speeds over 200.
Do you have egocentric? Is your Pathfinder armor fully upgraded so you have the mass reduction?
Even without thrust, 2 nitrons and a disc should put you at 280 at least. Thrust is a major upgrade though, the energy pack is basically useless.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

I am generally having fun with this game but I have to say, Doombringer is a complete piece of poo poo. I get a chaingun that takes seven seconds to spin up and makes my entire screen shake, if someone damages me at all while I'm firing I'm guaranteed never to hit anything. I have missiles that either fail to lock on, get shot down, or slam into scenery. And what the gently caress am I going to do with these lovely HE grenades when people are flying around spewing out deadly disco lasers? The only worthwhile thing about this class is the high HP and forcefields, which encourages you to play in the most boring way possible, by planting yourself on the flag like a turret. I've also noticed that when I have to fight one as a different class, they tend to get owned.

Should I just stick to the cool classes? Sometimes I forget that "Doombringer" is just Tribes-speak for "man-shaped turret" and I end up frustrated.
Sorry man, don't know what to tell you. Doombringer just sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekM8H9qBJI

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

People are shooting at him, they are just using projectile weapons and don't stand a chance because they don't know any better.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

That video is of a Really Good doombringer playing on a kiddie pool server. It's not exactly typical (the chaingun is still ace though).
That was not a kiddie pool server.
I am not quite that good, but it's really not hard to just decimate people with DMB, unless you start getting focus fired by multiple people.
The DMB is by no means a weak class like the person I responding to implied. It also is slightly better now since the chain gun was on of the only automatics not touched by the last patch.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's hard to say what's a suspicious "snap" without first person. They likely just heard you and have good aim/muscle memory.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Section Z: Boost applies to the double exp, at least it did last time. It's also multiplicative so if anyone is on the fence about getting gold now is the time. Between boost, VIP and double exp you will get 600% base exp.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

Basically because the energy pack was the default pack that has always been in game, and the Survival pack was put in with the Brute bundle pack much later. The Survival pack is pretty much a straight up upgrade. Same goes for Soldier.
Little known fact, the utility packs for both Brute and Solider actually increase your air control and horizontal jets by a small amount. This is because both are just modifiers of your runspeed and the Utility pack increases your runspeed.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

So it's still a mystery to me why Bella Omega got completely pulled from the server rotation. I wish one of the iterations was still around, it was a fun map.
Short answer: Because hirez can't handle criticism.

Long answer: Because hirez tried to listen to everyone all at once. This led to constant massive changes of the map, none of which were inherently bad, but everyone hated because they they were different. They kept loving with the map and altering it so dramatically and so frequently that people hated the map just because it kept changing and for no other reason. Hireez basically got fed up with people complaining about the map and like a bunch of little babies said "fine, then, you can't have it anymore."

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Muey posted:

Remove Temple Ruins and replace it with 2nd-to-last iteration of Bella (before the gen room change).

Boom, quality of map rotation instantly improved by 200%.
Yes, the penultimate bella was the best one. That gen room was so much fun to fight in, especially as inf or scrambler with all the mind games you could pull.
The map had a huge diversity in cap route too, even from the comp players it seemed like no one ran the same routes.
The turrets being so close to stand actually made the generator matter, and it gave defense a good fighting chance.
I really think bella was one of the best maps they have made.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The main ini setting that will improve FPS is turning off dynamic.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tartarus is probably the worst map to gen defend on. It's way too easy for the enemy to take it out, and the turrets are placed so poorly they don't matter. In fact the turrets matter so little I don't even know where they are.
The stand is also so open that doombringer force fields won't last a second. The Tartarus generator just contributes nothing except for a V-pad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Depending on work, I could probably do a goon workshop too. I can teach you how to abuse exploits physics to go fast and get the most out of your jet.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

I love you, tribes. I finally started playing this and oh my god did I miss this series. I am total butts with the spinfusor but I am a secret savant with the fusion mortar and that raider class.
My favorite thing to do on Tartarus is sentinel in flag. You have really good LoS to all the cappers and you run rage with phase rifle for rapid fire full damage shots along with super heavy for sweet body blocks.
It won't hold up well if the enemy has persistent heavy offense, but it's a really fun and actually effective position to play.

As for temple, the hill at mid is not a bad to place to snipe from, but that map in general is pretty bad for sniping.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mister Snips posted:

infiltrator has literally the worst two weapons in the entire game
What weapons would those be? I can't think of a single infiltrator weapon that is bad, and the jackal is one of the best weapons in the game.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Rhino and arctic rhino I guess since they fill the same role as both secondary slot weapons on the class. If he means the SN7 he's wrong.
I'd agree that you are better off taking the Spin or jackal over either Rhino, just for versatility, but the Rhino is by no means a bad weapon.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tribes is somewhat unique in that KDR really isn't a good metric for anything.
It's possible be the MVP of your team in just about any position except sniper and still have a negative KDR.
Really at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the flag. If whatever you are doing is not in some way a) helping your team get the enemy flag, or b) defending your own flag, you should probably do something else.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The game is not pay to win, its grind to win, or pay for convenience.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

I don't really see a material difference between those concepts as they're implemented. It seems to me that developers are being held to a ridiculously low standard where as long as you can't rig the entire match then it's not "pay to win".
Pay to win has a specific meaning. It means that you can purchase things that give you an advantage that are otherwise unattainable
In TA this is not the case. You always have the option to grind out unlocks for free and given enough time have the ability to get everything a paying player would have.
This is the distinction, and this is why I say it's not pay to win but grind to win.

Now I am not saying its a perfect system, and I'm not saying the free player is not severely handicapped in terms of progression, but it is not pay to win.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

According to whom? Certainly that's not the literal or colloquial meaning of the phrase.
You obviously have not played a pay to win. That is the literal meaning, paying to win. Some games give you the option of buying ridiculous poo poo like double damage weapons.

Like I said, it's not pay to win, it's grind to win. By paying you have no advantage over anyone else, other than time.

I agree the model could be better, but is certainly not pay to win and don't see how you can think that when people who haven't spent a dime on the game still can unlock everything and be on equal grounds.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

Competitive players do their matches and training on special servers where all the items are unlocked. There's also some large balancing differences including weapon bans, team credit accumulation, and significant price changes for vehicles.
I was about to argue with you some more about what "pay to win" means, but thanks for giving me a reason to completely ignore you from now on.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I still don't get people playing with the music on.

I like hearing the footsteps of cloaked infiltrators giving their position away.
I used to have to play withe music on because I am plagued with horrible flag related bugs. I'd be half way home with the flag icon on my screen, my shadow showing the flag, and everyone on Slamurai yelling at me saying I didn't get it. The music was the only definitive way of knowing whether I actually got the grab or not.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Section Z posted:

Write it down, because CTRL V doesn't seem to want to work inside Tribes. At least for me.
You can control +V into the console. This won't get the code into the redemption box, but you can use the console as a reference to type it in.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hey guys, the UI looks pretty cool right? Its got those sweet 3d models and stuff. Oh wait, whats this?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

platero posted:

That video does two things to me. First, it makes me want to be better. Second, it makes me want to quit forever, because that's some Jedi poo poo.
That video was hand picked from several hours of gameplay. It's not possible to hit those kind of shots with any sort of reliability.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

duffath posted:

So I've been playing with one friend of mine and I like this game, it seems challenging but I'd really like more people to play with. I've joined the steam group, but what's the best way to hook up with some goons so we can all work together and stomp pubbies and hopefully pick up some good tips and stuff?
We have 2 irc channels, but both have become fairly inactive. The best way is on mumble, we are there almost every night and you can probably join us in other esports titles such as hockeyquestionmark. crits.org:52903

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

^Kaal, you should learn to cap, that kind of ping makes for the best cappers.

herr posted:

I want to play a pathfinder capper really bad, but I'm having trouble developing routes. Do people just go on youtube and study routes for each team on every map? That sounds really loving awful and I would rather not do that.
Thats basically it, the other alternative is to find your own routes. I've spent up to 8 hours developing a single route, so that approach is not going to be faster.

quote:

Also, what function keys are these people pressing that are consistently going 250+ sanics? I am almost exclusively using the JUMP/JETPACK button when I am trying to ski and pick up speed. Should I be pressing something else?

My routine is to thrust, throw an impact nitron behind me before going up a hill, possibly spinfusor behind me while going up the hill, and then hit JUMP/JETPACK at the top. I seem to generate a lot more vertical energy than these human bullets that warp around on laser like horizontal paths.

I just want ski like this dude. They make it look so easy.
All this is basically good, just work on the finer aspects. Getting your nitron placement right, landing smooth, abusing the weird quirks like curving down slopes. Speaking of curving down slopes, why didn't my ski guide make it to the new OP?

eSporks fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 10, 2012

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Wasn't sure if the version from the last OP was up-to-date and I didn't have plat at the time to ask you if it was. Is it? Would you like it to be?
It wasn't really out of date, but I did make a few changes and cleaned a few things up. Its a bit longer now, if its too long and needs to be trimmed down, let me know.

/////Ski Guide///////
I have seen a lot of new players asking about skiing, how to ski, how fast is fast and lots of other questions. Decided to do a writeup to hopefully help them.

How fast is Fast?
Sub 100 SANICS-Indoors You really shouldn't ever be moving this slow. Its ok for dueling, or indoors, but if you are outside skiing around a single hill should get you over 100kph.
100-150 SANICS-Chillaxin' This is the "initial range" Its still pretty slow, but this about where you will be after a decent hill when you are starting to travel somewhere.
150-180 SANICS-Cruisin' These are moderate speeds. Pretty decent, and good speeds for moving around the map at and getting from point A to point B.
180-200 SANICS-Okay Capping These are considered "fast" but still not all that fast. These speeds are easily reachable on any class with disc jumping. These are low end capping speeds, try to avoid capping any slower than this. Even at these speeds it is still easy for a chaser to catch you.
200-220 SANICS-Better Capping This is about the baseline for capping speeds. You really don't want to cap below 200 because it is really easy for chasers to catch up to you with a couple disc jumps.
220-250 SANICS-Pub Capping These are the higher end of capping speeds. Many maps allow viable capping routes where you can reach these speeds. You will have to disc jump to reach them, or spend time building up speed. At these speeds you might be able to outrun chasers.
250-300 SANICS-Good Capping These are great speeds for pub capping, also many comp routes will run in this range. These speeds are very hard, if not impossible to chase.
300-350 SANICS-Pro Capping This is the upper tier of whats practical. Anything beyond this likely requires too much set up time, or too little health. At these speeds the only thing that can chase you is a sniper rifle.
350-400 SANICS-Flippin' Balls These are certainly achievable but just aren't worth the time usually.
Over400 SANICS-Wasting time Very rarely seen. It is very hard to break 400 through normal skiing, but speeds of 500kph are definitely possible on some maps given enough set up time and skill.

*also note that because of the high hills on Temple Ruins this list is a bit skewed. Its hard to reach speeds on temple, so crossing the midfield might be slow, but at the same time its easy to gain speed once you get over about 200. The typical routes on Temple usually run between 300-400 and are a lot faster than other maps. The same is somewhat true for Raindance as well.

Basic Skiing Tips
Jet up hills, coast down hills - Pretty self explanatory. Begin jetting at the base of a hill so that gravity does not slow you down, and coast down hills to regen your energy for the next one.
It is easier to maintain speed than gain speed - Typically you will want to start on a large hill or use disc jumps to gain speed. After that work on keeping the speed you have and slowly building it up.
Smooth Landings - You need to try to match the angle of your slope as close as possible. If the angle matches exactly you will land smooth and nearly all of your vertical speed will be converted to horizontal. If your landing is a little sloppy and you come in too steep not all of your vertical speed will be converted. Its very similar to the iphone game Tiny Wings.
Don't jet while falling - A lot of players will use their jets to adjust their trajectory after they have started falling. This is bad, when you do that you slow down your vertical speed which means less vertical speed to get converted when you land. Try to anticipate your trajectory so that you do not have to make adjustments while falling.
Use Jetless Air Control - This game has a lot of Jetless Air Control, or air strafing. So try to use your jets for your basic trajectory then use the JAC on the way down for fine adjustments.

Advanced Ski Tips
:siren: Jump/jet has been fixed :siren: - See farther down for more info.
Carve while skiing down slope - You will gain more speed if you curve as you ski down a slope than if you go straight down it. Basically, the longer you are on a slope, the more time you have to gain speed. A curved line ) between 2 points is longer than a straight one |. Try to maximize the time spent on a slope to gain more speed from it. I know this doesn't make sense from a real world perspective, but if you think of how the code may be working it does. "If on slope, gain speed"
Strafing Forward - You turn sharper while skiing if you look sideways and hold forward rather than looking forward and holding sideways. ie "look 90*, hold W" works better than "look forward, hold A". Combine this with carving down slopes and you gain the most speed by skiing down a slope and looking sideways whiling holding forward. The difference is negligible, but its there, it also make a greater difference at lower speed that fast ones.
Explosive Jumping - Using explosive jumps is a great way to boost your speed. Aim behind yourself and shoot, or throw a grenade. It is typically best to use explosive jumps down hill, they will push you down the hill and keep you in contact with the ground. If you use them on a flat surface you will be bounced up and some of the speed will be lost. Likewise if you use them uphill, they will give your more height, which may or may not be good depending on how steep the next slope you plan on hitting is. Be mindful of your aim with explosive jumps, throwing them straight down at your feet will give you a lot of vertical lift, while throwing them farther back will give more horizontal speed. Either one can be desirable depending on the route you are trying to take.
Jump or Jet to change directions - If you need to change directions while skiing a small tap of jump or jet will allow your JAC to kick in and let you turn a bit more than you could if you stayed on the ground.
Jump off Downslopes - You won't want to do this all the time, but by using jump or jump/jet you can leave a downslope before the bottom. Useful on some routes and for throwing off chasers.
Thrust turning - This consumes a lot of energy, so its best used on a well planned route. Basically, if you are aiming your thrust pack more than 90 degrees away from your direction of travel, it is not subject to the speed efficiency reduction it normal has. This makes it work well for otherwise impossible turns at the cost of 90 energy and a slight decrease in speed. It can be very risky and takes some practice, if you aim just under 90 degrees you waste 90 energy and nothing happens.
Air Strafing - Its something that takes practice for those not familiar with the concept from other games. Its too hard to explain here, so just watch this video. http://youtu.be/GOs4O5Vm-WM Basically, you hold forward, and then keep the mouse locked on the focal point of your turn.
Horizontal Adjustment - You can also curve to left or right by just holding your strafe keys, A or D. Its a different kind of turn that using W, not sure how to explain; however, when using the strafe keys you turn sharper if you mash your jet key repeatedly instead of holding it down. Don't ask why.

Energy Management
Use long Steady Jets - It is best to use long controlled jetting than small short bursts. This will give your jets more time to regen.
Going high is double edge sword - Going high will give your jets more time to regen but it can also make it harder to land at the proper angle. It will also increase your visibility to the enemy.
Planned routes - If you are capping, or even just skiing somewhere it is a good idea to have pre-planned routes where you know your energy will have enough time to regen and not leave you stranded. Super high speeds are simply not attainable without a practiced route.

Health Management
DO NOT EXPLOSIVE JUMP BEFORE GRABBING THE FLAG - This is mostly for the newer players. I see a lot of people just spamming explosives and hitting the stand with little health. It goes for all classes, but a pathfinder only has 900 HP, reducing that to 705 with a nitron jump is not worth it. You will die on the stand much more often if you are explosive jumping before it. Don't do it. This puts you in range of dieing from splash damage, claymores, and mines.
Sometimes it ok to explosive jump before the flag - ok, I know I just said not to. It can be a bit hard to judge, so if you aren't sure its best to just avoid it. If the flag is clear and you know you will get a clean grab, go ahead and do it. If the flag is not clear and you might run in trouble, think twice about it.
Plan routes - In general you want to use your explosive jumps early so that your health has time to regen before you get to your destination. If you are capping it is REALLY important to have planned routes and to know when your health regen should kick in. You should always be hitting the stand at full health.
In combat - Using an explosive jump in combat, typically during a high speed chase can be very beneficial, but also very risky. Try to do it either as a last resort, or when your chaser is not applying real pressure. It also works pretty well to shoot sideways and change your course a bit. It can really throw off cappers. NOTE: Nitron jumps will now cause you to drop the flag.

Jump/Jet vs Jet?
The Jump/jet bug has been fixed - There used to be a bug with the Jump/Jet bind that caused you to lose speeds while skiing up hill. It has been fixed. It is now ok to use whatever bind set up you want.
Jet still has its uses - Even though you will be using Jump/Jet 90% of the time, it still might be a good idea to keep regular jet bound. "Jet" will keep you closer to the ground which makes it great for moving around indoors without clipping your head on the ceiling. "Jet" will also provide instant lateral speed from a standstill if you hold a directional key, this makes it useful for dodging since Jump/Jet has a minor delay before you begin to move laterally.

Equipment
I will only cover pathfinder because capping with other classes is far to varied.
Thust Pack vs Energy Regen Pack - You might find the energy pack better in the begining, but trust me, the thrust pack is superior in every way. The energy pack only provides a regen bonus of 3 more energy per second than the thrust pack. With just a bit more attention to energy management you can hit every route with either pack. The thrust pack is infinitely more valuable when things go wrong too, if you get body blocked, you get nitroned, you find yourself dueling, you end up escorting. The times that the thrust pack becomes useful far out way the times the energy pack is actually useful.
Bolt Launcher vs Disc Launcher vs Dueling - Its a toss up. The impulse from all 3 is the same. The self damage is insignificant since you should be regening. I have taken to using the dueling spinfusor just because its what I duel with the most.
Impact Nitron vs Explosive - Explosive has slightly higher damage, but in general it is not worth it especially since you cannot triple jump with it. Explosive is slightly better at stand clearing, but still not worth it in my opinion.
Perks - Egocentric is mandatory, the only way you will gain decent speed is with explosive jumps. After that Reach is probably your best bet. It helps you grab past a HoF, as well as helping out when things go wrong. It even opens up a few new routes like the over the top routes on crossfire. Safe Fall is useful as a counter to shrikes. Stealthy might be good against a technician heavy defense, but I have not really tried it. Ultra Capacitor is not bad either, but reach is just better.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 10, 2012

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Section Z posted:

It is my dream, my glorious, rage on both teams inducing impossible dream. To walk a flag from stand to stand (jumpjets only when required to get up to a ledge).
Jets are cheating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb017O6EjRM
Slam used to do this all the time. We did it on arx once and after fighting off 4 chasers and recovering from 2 nitron fumbles we made it back to our stand. We got perplexed for a moment trying to figure out how we would get it up to the flag without jetting then we decided to nitron jump up there (this was before nitrons caused self fumble)

HyperPuma posted:

Is it really doable? I've tried and it just doesn't seem to work very well, even with lightweight.

I'd love to see some video of someone pulling some sweet brute caps though to prove me wrong. I bet it could be done on temple without too much hassle.
I used to have a few Jug routes, one was a 270 grab on kata, but they changed something. Heavies sorta stop getting impulse after about 180 now, or at least its a lot less efficient.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't even know what it does? Isn't that just some thing to spam during standoffs thats incredibly useless for capping? I just remember taking one look at it and deciding it was useless.

OK yes, I just bought them. They do the same amount of self damage but significantly less knockback. No reason to use for anything other than being an annoying prick in standoffs.

If you are worried about chasing, I like to run Saftey Third/Egocentric. 2 nitron jumps and a disc gets you up to good speed, then you have 2 more nitrons for a fumble. Giving up reach is not a big deal in pubs, although in comp I do use reach since you are more likely to have to fight over the fumble with escorts.

Kaal posted:

Too bad. Thanks for taking the XP bullet and letting us know the scoop though.
I have 700k unspent XP and everything I want unlocked. Thank you for reminding me my pathfinder was not mastered anymore making my OCD kick in and forcing me to buy them.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 10, 2012

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

duffath posted:

Ahh right...so I created my own one? That's the right procedure? Thought goon server may need an official one or something?

If that's all I need to make it work now I will try popping into mumble later and see what's up. Thanks!
Put crits.org into the address section and 52903 into the port section.
And if you denied the certificate you might be screwed. When you first use mumble is creates a certificate for you, this is basically your unique ID. If you denied that, you might have to re-install since I don't know of any other way to get it to create a certificate again.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Do you guys ever play pugs on the reddit mumble? I've seen Pasta on there some, but not too many goons, it seems.
I've played 2 pugs, and they were unbearable. Its not fun trying to cap where your offense doesn't understand what a timed clear is.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

psivamp posted:

I didn't even know there was just Jet -- that sounds like what I usually want for air control when I'm going to miss a slope. I think if I really want to get good I'm going to need a better mouse so I can have just Jetpack bound to a side button or something.
Just to be clear, jet and jet/jump only make a difference when you are on the ground. If you are in the air, they are identical.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The "jet" function of either is exactly the same. Jet/jump just applies a jump first before jetting.
When "jump/jet" is used on the ground at a standstill, this means you get a stronger vertical boost, but this also makes you "float" a bit more. Using "jet" does give the vertical boost, so the direction change is more direct and less "floaty"

I guess my description there is not really that good, not sure how to word it better and still have it be succinct. Jet doesn't give you any more horizontal movement than jet/jump, it just gives you more direct movement which is why it can be useful for dodging. There is also a very minor delay when using jet/jump, it applies the jump first, then the jet. For general moving around and when hitting jets in air this delay is too insignificant to matter, but for dodging purpose it does translate into "jet" having ever so slightly more instantaneous movement.
The other reason its more useful is that since most people use jet/jump exclusively, people get used to tracking that type of dodge. The "jet" dodge moves a bit differently and can throw people off since they are not used to tracking it as much.

The difference is really really tiny, and honestly not something you really need to worry about. However, using "jet" indoors will certainly make a huge difference. It is much easier to move around without getting your head caught on obstructions.

Neither one is better than the other, they are just different really. And jump/jet will suffice 99% of the time. You can play perfectly well at a high level with only using jump/jet.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

They are probably waiting until the NASL LAN finals are over before patching. They certainly don't want to risk fixing the LAR and chasing before the biggest match to date.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Supposedly the smite and TA teams are completely separate and no one has been pulled off TA. Both games apparently entered development at the same time as well.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

HyperPuma posted:

I'm not sure where people's problems with bella come from
The basic problems were that it changed too much and too drastically. They kept loving with it, and they were never subtle variations but complete and total redesigns.
But the major issues people had included:
-The very first version had really screwed up terrain. The terrain was basically a bunch of a craters with near vertical sides and it was drat near impossible to ski.
-The next main version, the hills felt good, but people complained about the llama grabs being so successful by climb the tower to the top.
--The other issue with this version is that many people felt the force fields were blocking the wrong paths. They blocked the side 2 side routes instead of the back 2 fronts.
-In the final major version the major complaint was that the turrets were too close to the flag system. This encouraged gen farming and made it really hard on offense. I really don't think this was a bad thing, it was nice to have a map that played with a slightly different style.
--In the very last version some idiot thought it was a good idea to open the gen room up to help the offense. This actually just ended up making it even easier on the defense and it made the gen room boring as hell to fight in.

Then hirez got mad and pulled the plug. All of the issues people had with the map in every incarnation were very small and very specific, but hirez chose to attack the problem by redesigning the whole map from the ground up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Bloodloss posted:

What percentage of pathfinders would you guys say know the best routes for capping and consistently go at speeds of 250+?

I enjoy playing pathfinder but such things are far beyond my capability currently. I've tried practising some of the routes I've seen, but it just seems incredibly difficult and beyond my level currently. I rarely see pathfinders anywhere near that good, but I don't want to be a liability to my team.
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but quite honestly the average capper is really bad in comparison to competitive capper. When Slamurai was recruiting for a second capper it was the hardest position to fill. Half of the people that showed up to tryouts didn't even have pre-planned routes and would just freestyle and grabs in the 240-270 range seemed to be about average.

I think more so than other role there is a huge disparity between the middle of the pack and the top in terms of skill. Its much easier to find pub stars that are really solid duelists or good sniper than it is to find good cappers.
I would imagine its because capping requires a ton of unfun practice running the same routes over and over again for hours in training mode to get good at.

If you are capping int he 200-250 range thats about perfectly average for pub play.

Av027 posted:

Chasing is absolutely not a gimmick if you know what you're doing. I get 15-20 returns per game when I'm in a chasing role
When people say this they are talking about higher level play. Chasing the average pub capper is entirely possible, but you don't stand on chance on someone running a 300+ back to front with a sub 10 second cap time.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bc2ZysGbrI

I picked out a pretty straight-forward capping video for those that are interested in upping their game a bit, and I think it also illustrates the futility of any serious chasing. This Tartarus route is easy to pull off, and serves as a good intro to the practice.
A few things to note for the beginners. The beginning hills and the final hill may be a bit difficult. Take note of the subtlety as exactly which "sub hill" he lands on is important. Those 2 big sweeping 90 degrees turns will also be hard until you get good at air strafing. Along the flat portions of the route its really easy to see how important nitron jump angle is. Look how far back he throws his nitrons and shoots his disc, this keeps him really low and doesn't waste energy. If he threw them closer to his feet he would be getting popped up and wasting a lot of speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This is a good series of route videos by SmallKiwi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJDYyBpkYyY
They all have commentary and an overlay showing you his key presses which could be really helpful for some people.

• Locked thread