Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tres Burritos posted:

What would the nightvale craigslist look like? Someone needs to make that site.

Like South African craigslist with less sex and more sourceless dread, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

All Things Considered

Yet another radio voice that doesn't look like what I would have expected them to (there is no actual image, I just see a radio person and think "...huh. Wouldn't have guessed that" except Ira Glass, who looks exactly like one would expect).

Anyway, I was thinking about Cecil as an unreliable narrator. He spends basically all his time talking about forbidden things, but the City Council/Secret Police/vague yet menacing government agency/hooded figures can't actually kill him or make him disappear because they need him to let Night Vale citizens know what is forbidden. Therefore, he is probably subjected to a lot of memory modification and re-education (he mentions a "session in the dark box" in the Station Management epsiode), as well as possession by whatever supernatural entities want to address Night Vale as a whole ALL HAIL THE GLOW CLOUD. No wonder the poor guy is completely insane. I mean, he wears furry pants in the desert, god drat.

Meanwhile, Carlos has moved to Night Vale to do some serious science, only to find that everything is so hosed up that all his data is useless, his team is reduced to bribing citizens to ring a nonexistent doorbell, the townspeople don't really take him seriously, and he spends a lot of time being scared and/or confused. Cecil is obviously head over heels for him, but it's probably not a good idea to get involved with a guy who spends all his time doing stuff like poking the hooded figures with a stick, right? A scientist is self reliant, after all. But it turns out that not everything in Night Vale is completely malevolent and Cecil isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's ok to return his affections.

I feel weird putting this where the actual creator can see it, but hey, the author is dead (probably killed by a hooded figure or got left outside on street cleaning day). Also Tumblr is full of morons and is no place to hold an intelligent discussion. (I must admit, though, that I like their depictions of Cecil with blonde hair and arm tattoos of occult Eyes of Providence, because I am a person with blonde hair and a large Eye of Providence on my arm)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Hahaha, I've never seen that picture before. His shirt looks like the smock I wear at the salon when I get my hair cut.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The regretful wheat-eaters though...

nazi-nurse on Tumblr does some really excellent Night Vale drawings even if I think her username is in poor taste.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
In Night Vale, a baby can be born with a beautiful but terrible beard, as a super dense pellet, or as a severed grown man's hand (ew), so that seems plausible.

I sort of figure that when the population of Night Vale is described as "mostly human", it means that most people are completely human (Carlos), some are completely nonhuman (Hiram McDaniels), and the rest are a mixture (the Mayor).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pigbog posted:

Ugh. Why would you want him to?

Steve Carlsberg can hear both the Night Vale and Desert Bluffs radio shows. Can you imagine how riled up Cecil would get if Steve Carlsberg sent him an email* comparing him unfavorably to Kevin? He might explode.

In conclusion, I vote for Kevin as "guest voice that I would like to come back".

*I misspelled this as "emaul" at first, which actually seems fairly appropriate.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

The live show in Brooklyn will have 8 guest voices.

So is this something that we will be able to watch or listen to online later?

Gotcha
VVVVV

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 21, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Camcorder? Do those even still exist? I'd go with "cameraphone recording in portrait mode" as my lovely video standard these days.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

aricoarena posted:

Is it useful at all to suggest songs for the weather if am in no way affiliated with the band?

No, the website says they have over a year's worth of weather already planned out.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Night Vale minimalist photos

Source (several more)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
At the end, when Cecil did the nervous giggle, I was seriously expecting to hear like a gun being cocked, or a chair get knocked over, or a door slam...something kidnap/hostage-y.

And how do you spell Vithia?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My husband thinks the Man in the Tan Jacket is the Devil (specifically Beelzebub).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I was listening on my way to work this morning, and I got so caught up in it that I missed my exit.

Edit: this has been...TRAFFIC.

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 16, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

The character's name is not, and never has been, Baldwin. That's the actor's name.

You know, it's probably a good idea to separate the two more explicitly, since apparently some people have problems with that. I think it must be very weird for actors who play fictional characters with their same names, like Jerry Seinfeld, and even weirder for an actor to play a character with their name that they didn't create.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Um, guys? Bad news...

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

maxnmona posted:

Speaking of which, here are some pics from our San Francisco shows that feature many a costume https://www.facebook.com/booksmith/media_set?set=a.10202587756042032.1073741837.1440675030&type=1

The best part of that is Satellite High's shirt.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Some Fitter Happier poo poo in this episode.

Also, the idea of giving birth to a severed man's hand is horrifying to me. Regular pregnancy and birth are freaky enough, but man...that just makes my skin crawl.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BooDoug187 posted:

I thought it just showed up, nothing about her giving birth to it, just showed up at their house and they love it all the same!

No, she was born in the Time Traveler episode...which was also written by Zack Parsons.

Guess I know who to blame for giving me the creeps.

Edit: how is she in second grade if she was born like a year ago? I guess it's weird time poo poo/born an adult body part already/who even knows.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

jazz babies posted:

I wish I could erase any memory of ever listening to this podcast.

Just so I could hear every episode for the first time all over again. :allears:

I love you so much, Night Vale.

(USER WAS RE-EDUCATED FOR THIS POST)

Be careful what you wish for.

Personally I've been waiting to see pictures of Cecil getting attacked by vacuums and yet it seems that everyone on Tumblr would rather draw a hand and a computer.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Do people in the southwest even have mowable lawns? I don't know anything about the southwest.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I would kill someone in front of their own mother if it meant getting a Kansas City show.

I would also like a Kansas City show but maybe not quite that much.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
KC Night Vale facebook group? Link please, I searched but could not find it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Listeners, a semitransparent cabin has appeared out in the Sand Wastes...(actually an art installation called "Lucid Stead" by Phillip K Smith III) link

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Something I'd like to point out about Marcus Vansten and his chimneys: little boys who grow up sweeping chimneys tend to get cancer of the scrotum once they hit their teenage years. link

Just thought I'd share that extra bit of horror with you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I dreamed that an ad for the Night Vale book materialized on my dad's basement wall. Too bad I can't remember the plot summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
"I study science, not plants or nature" says the man who spent half his first date measuring trees.

Also, please keep on describing these ridiculously detailed logos because someone on tumblr will draw them accurately within 48 hours and it's hilarious.