Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thievery posted:

I don't think this works on anything other than the knife. My axe doesn't seem to do any more damage. :\

It does. Not double, maybe like 1.5x or something like that. The whip combo in the original was a 2x thing and it is reduced in this one as well, but the increase is still significant, especially against bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can just jump and whip it. Just make sure it doesn't crush you.

Speaking of crushing, I finally defeated Shu and Nigoro are such dicks.

Yeah, it won't be the last time that happens either....

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

Where do I go to get the serpent staff? Nothing specific just what area it's in.

Temple of the Moon

and another hint if you need something a little more specific...

Right of the door entry, there is a "puzzle" of sorts though

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ha ha holy poo poo. You all have no idea what is the most powerful weapon in the game, like seriously you will never guess The Keyblade. Once the seals are all open it gets like a huge damage boost, it does more than the pistol does if you have the weapon boost combo on.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DolphinCop posted:

Wooh! just beat the final boss. This remake is completely fantastic.

My favorite was Baphomet, and Eden's transformation into the Illusion Gate. Nigoro built up some really good moments this time around.

My biggest criticism is that the lore felt a little more constrained this time around. For some reason it seemed there were less purely descriptive tablets about the history of the ruins. It probably had something to do with the double-encrypted tablets giving you less information early, and more of the history being given by mulburuk or Xelpud rather than tablet exploration.

Also, I ended up never taking the Mace. Where was the tablet with the gem weight totals?? I searched all over the loving ruins for it and eventually gave up and gung-hoed Mother with the Axe.

Just finished myself, and I more or less agree. Somehow, some of the lore from the first time around seemed to be missing, which is odd because it isn't like they took any tablets out, just more of them were needed for some of the new puzzles. Overall I think this is a better version, the original still has a lot of charm, but so many of the really aggravating things from the original were tuned (climbing claws, jumping, slow attack speed...) and while the new bosses are tough, I overall like them. I was able to find an exploitable pattern for all of them save two that I resorted to pistol spam.

The mace I have no idea, the stones come down in the same order they did in the original so I just completed it by rote. I found one tablet that explained what virtues two stones represented, but no list of weights and no further explanations on that front. I either missed them or they were given to Mulbruk or Xelpud and I never talked to them at the right time. I have several gaps in my email messages, so I maybe they were supposed to be in there?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Antinumeric posted:

Get a fairy, axe it in the face. Same as every other boss.

You guys seriously overrate the axe. It is great in the sense that it has good reach, and good damage, but it is slow as poo poo. Even the chain whip can out damage it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FPzero posted:

If you grab the Gauntlet, the Axe becomes really awesome. And it's not necessarily just damage output that's being considered with the axe, it's also the swing. It can hit a lot of stuff with that arc and when bosses now have specific parts you can damage instead of their entire body like in the original, it helps a lot.

I'm not saying it isn't great, I used it a majority of the game too, but against bosses/mini-bosses if you can hit them with the whip reliably, you are usually much better off using the whip. Not to mention that the mace does more damage anyway. and the Keyblade in the endgame does more than the mace even

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Forer posted:

With the amount of "where do I go what do I do." I feel like I need to write a comprehensive walkthrough to help dudes in here. Would anyone use it if though is my question?

I was thinking along the same lines. I'd say it should take the most frequent questions, group them by area, and provide a general hint, and then a more specific solution. For low :effort: it could be pretty easily done in a couple adjacent posts in this thread and linked in the OP.

Writing up an entire FAQ or walkthrough that people are then going to have to search through would be really time consuming, and have the same issues as the YouTube walkthrough. A checklist or general guide to what needs to be done to complete the game might be helpful, but the more single path focused you get, the more confusing it is going to be for people that want to do most of the work themselves and just need the occasional pointer to figure it out.

Thievery posted:

Wait it opens up after the 5th? I've just killed the first 4 but while I was on them I felt like I had hundreds of options.

It's pretty open from the start if you know where to look (or even if you don't it's pretty easy to get lost). The 4th boss opens the most direct route into the tower of the goddess and that links to a lot of key spots. When I think of "opening up" I think of that more than the 5th.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 19, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crimson Harvest posted:

Ooh new laptop with twice as much memory. I somehow doubt I actually need all that ram but I'll buy it anyway because SHINY!

You will

AndyAML posted:

You don't even need the Grapple Claws to get the Chain Whip if you have the Feather, due to the way the double jump mechanics have changed. I found it much easier to just jump straight down and double jump into the passage instead of messing around with walljumps.

Actually.... I was just thinking about this, you can freely change your jump direction once you hit a wall, I wonder if it is possible to get inside of there without the claw or the feather? I'm not in a place that I can try it out, but something to think about.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone know how to get that chest frozen in ice in the Graveyard? Or rather, is there any specific equipment I have to use to get to it?

I assume you mean the one in the top left?

That block of ice the pedestal is in? You can jump inside of it from the left side. That will open the chest. Outside of the Double Jump nothing else is needed.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yeah never mind me, I have apparently suffered a brain injury or something. That is the one I was talking about. I meant bottom left too.

Control Volume posted:

Nah the hardest hard mode challenge would be a no grail run. :shepface:

How about no Life Jewels?

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 19, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just realized something horrifying. I don't remember the exact wording but Mulbruk said that her father was a great tailor. There's only one entity that makes clothes in this game.

She flat out says that he was crafting something for her to wear, so um. Yeah, wrap your brain around that for a little bit.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

goldjas posted:

This doesn't help because jumping out of water at an angle is pretty much an impossibility. The only times I've ever gotten up there are when I've jumped into him while invincible then him hitting me while invincible manages to knock me just right to get there, the water spout may as well not even exist as far as I'm concerned I've tried it every time and never once gotten it.

This is how I did it. Several others seem to have as well, different techniques work for different people. Mucking about with the water jet is a lot harder to get the hang of then finding a way to bounce off the fucker. Just go into the room with the intent to bounce off him. You will get it eventually.

The room above isn't actually that bad since spikes only wound when you actually land on them. If you have the prolonged invincibility combo, caltrop yourself, and then drop onto the pot. After that its just some careful double jumping

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

This should probably be put in the OP. Monument of Extinction grail point, one screen up then take the upper route to the left, hit all 4 blocks, get coins, screen transition twice, repeat.

Also the person that gets the top of every page should probably just repost it in bold.

nftyw posted:

Shu is also really easy when you just drop the dripping chandelier thing on him. Unfortunately this only happens in bizarro world La-Mulana where puzzles actually make logical sense.

You can do that? If it actually kills him there must be a way (using patented La-Mulogictm technology) to actually do it in a predictable manner. When I get back to him next playthrough I guess I will need to play around in there a bit.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

nftyw posted:

If you haven't figured it out yet I'm pretty sure there is no way to get that ceiling thingy to fall :ssh:

See there you went and made me think there was some secret trick that I didn't know about. Thanks. So hopeful was I that this was possible, that I fell for your little ruse. Well played.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dropbear posted:

This was such a terrible 'puzzle' as well - you can't even go "ah, this key might go into that mural!" or anything because the mural doesn't EXIST until you get the key, then it just pops in out of nowhere to a previously empty room. Why would they do this instead of just keeping the mural there from the get-go?

This is a change from the original game, in which the mural just appeared after you had the key, and all you had to do was enter the room. They said during development that they wanted to get away from passive items that solved puzzles, but why they didn't just make the mural static and only require the key to be used on it rather than both is a mystery.

La-Mulogic again.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

I'm hoping modding this game is easy because if so I'm thinking of releasing a small mod to fix (arguably) the logic behind some puzzles. Right now I've stopped playing the game as I've reached my limit for bullshit puzzle design and so far after a certain point it's all there is from there on out.

Also enabling a tiered hint system using Xelpud mailer would be cool but not sure if that's even possible with what we can work with.

You would probably need to create some sort of function that mails him for help, though I'm not sure how you would get it to give you the right hint given how different some people's paths through the game will be. That or expand on the help it gives you when you present him with an object.

The puzzle logic isn't really as senseless as it seems, it's just that a lot of the hints are spread all over the place, and while you can record conversations, twenty is a pretty small number when you consider just how many there are. If you follow a mindset of "progress through this area until I hit a dead end, solving all puzzles and clearing all pedestals that are not traps" you will for the most part get where you need to.

The first time I beat the original version, I only had to consult a walk through for a couple puzzles (neither of which are even in this version) and a couple times for a general sense of direction. I did however take extensive notes, going so far as to write down every tablet I read. I filled up like twenty pages in a notebook. it took awhile (30ish hours maybe?) but it is doable if you are patient.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Keep killing bosses and another dais will appear. Also yeah you have to use the waterspout.

No you do not. It is easier for most people to bounce off the mini-boss up to the platform.

nftyw posted:

I believe that you have one shot at getting it, you use three weights on three pedestals and if you mess it up, too bad, you'll never get that thing...

I just dropped a weight each time I passed the room and it appeared, I wasn't aware that it could be hosed up, especially since the item in question is required to finish the game.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a way to give yourself infinite double jumps so the hell temple can be completed in a timely manner and with considerably less insanity?

Why would you do that? It's the whole point of the Hell Temple, you might as well just download a 100% save game and save yourself the time.

Mr E posted:

Is there an easier way to get the last life sphere besides jumping on the water spouts? I can rarely get up there, but then I fall anyway near the chest. If I can get up there easier it wouldn't be near as frustrating.

Bounce off the guy. With a little practice it is really easy to pull off.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hey I know misery loves company and all, but no, I think I'll leave the stockholm syndrome to you good chaps.

Hey if you don't end the game as a broken a battered shell of your former self, you didn't do it right.

Shlapintogan posted:

So I was talking with the Exclamation-One from NeoGAF and apparently he's got the classic music pack looping properly. It should be uploaded and available shortly.

So did you guys collaborate on this or did you end up doing all that work for nothing :smith:

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 30, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FPzero posted:

Final boss related:

Augh I was NOT expecting to actually have to play the escape sequence this time! And then the game goes and blocks two of the three exits to the surface I can think of! Now I have to beat the Mother again and then see if I can make it to the Tower of the Goddess and see if THAT exit is blocked or not.

This game, I swear. I love to hate it.

I beat the end boss the first time with less than 10hp left, and thought that was it... and um yeah. The same thing happened to me. I made a wrong turn in the endless corridor and couldn't get back through it, so I had to navigate through all the traps I had just rushed past before. Needless to say I ran out of life. The second time, I figured out that I had to go back to the temple of the sun to grab somebody first just in time.

I think there might be multiple exits? I haven't tried any other way yet.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

Well after slamming headfirst into Bahamut for like an hour solid I think I need to take a break. Anyone got any tips on avoiding the Fireballs? The weird motion effects are throwing me for a loop.

Assuming you have the feather, all you need to do to avoid the fireballs from the back ground is stay in the middle, and when he starts spraying them in your direction, just do as high a double jump as you can. I dodged pretty much all of them like this. Otherwise, the axe and the flares are good choices, just ride the bump up you get when he emerges and hit him a couple times, then stay under the breath attack.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

pumpinglemma posted:

Aha - I think the trick is to double jump while pushing against it. I don't think it'll fall over at all if you only use single jumps, and I think it fell over the first time I used a double jump. If so then that's pretty unintuitive...

I think kick jumping off of it works too, but yeah that puzzle seems broken. That is one of the things I was forced to look up because nothing I did seemed like it was right, but the dust gives it away as being something (also from having played the original I knew what was in the next room)

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

EightBit posted:

People beat this game on hard mode, without knowing where anything is? :psyduck: How much pain are these people able to withstand?

I would read the tablet twice in the original every time I played through it and never knew it was any sort of hard mode. I just thought the game was always that hard. I haven't tried that with this new one yet; I left the tablet alone my first time through.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

thetrin posted:

Should be tomorrow or so. We have roughly 100k keys to hand out, and once they're given to the applicable services (Desura/Groupees), it's up to them to hand them out.

Some of the Playism keys have already been handed out, I believe. Be sure to check out your account pages. Sorry it's taken so long, but Valve only gave us the keys yesterday afternoon, and the fact that the rest of the team is in Japan while I'm in the US for the time being is making communication sort of difficult.

So it should appear on the account page somewhere or other? Good to know. Thanks.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

RadicalR posted:

You know what La-Mulana needs to come out on? The PS Vita. It's PERFECT for it.

Not sure if you want to port it to something that can be thrown...

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smornstein posted:

Speaking of that i have to ask is Hard mode actually beatable?

The first several times I beat the original, I did it on hard mode, not knowing that said tablet had any effect on the rest of the game. I just assumed I was being a smart rear end and smugly clearing some silly little trap that was meant to punish me.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

You know, I've never beaten this game or even gotten past the third or so boss, on ANY version of the game, but now that I know it's there I'm tempted to turn on hard mode.

There may be something wrong with me. :unsmigghh:

Do it Do it DO IT.

C'mon, spit in the eye of the gods/whoever's eye it is. I mean, if you don't think you are going to finish it, you might as well not finish it in style.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smornstein posted:

Just got my Steam Key as well now to try and remember where everything is who knows maybe I'll beat the game this time.

I kept a whole notebook the first time I played through the original, recording important tablets, solutions to the more difficult puzzles, the order that I obtained items and all that. When I went back to play it again 6 months later, I got about 2 hours in, and found myself having to recheck all those notes because I could not remember what the hell I did before. Every time I replayed the game, I had to go back to those notes for at least a couple things (wait, I get the bombs when!?) The first trip through the remake was even more fun, since many of those old notes were no longer correct.

I gotta say, that this code distribution has got to be one of the least secure systems ever, this is about one step from listing them all on a page with a note saying "ok take one, be honest!"

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

thetrin posted:

Oh, it's totally ghetto, but it's what we were able to cobble together as fast as we could. We're going to be improving and replacing it soon, but we needed something up for Playism users to get their key before they eat us alive.

I still appreciate it, I just hope it doesn't end up causing more problems for your guys down the road due to people trying to exploit it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Control Volume posted:

At least you're not as bad as me, the guy who didn't realize that the lamp of time lasted enough to swim up the streams to actually get to that sacred orb. No, I got up there by very carefully timing a knockback on to the platform after being raised by the water stream. It took like 5 minutes per attempt, and I failed a lot :suicide:

I have done it both ways, and bouncing off the enemy is definitely the easier of the two methods.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

For Ellmac on Hard Mode I don't even attempt it without getting the chain whip first and all available sacred orbs first. And even then my strategy is basically to get close ASAP and whip him to oblivion hoping that the train tracks cooperate.

The axe works really well too.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I am totally forgetting something here. In the goddess tower, what actually unlocks the plane model? I have the eye of truth, and I killed the platform head things and all that, but the chest just sits there, still locked. Also am I remembering right that this is also the way to open the statues obstructing exit to the Mausoleum of Giants/Chamber of Life?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vil posted:

Killing the platform heads makes some platforms appear in the respective left and right rooms from the grail point. Make both platforms sink all the way down and the chest unlocks. And you're remembering right: the plane model is what opens the blocked exits.

Doh.... both of them were already killed, and the heads never respawned in the dozen or so times I went up and down the tower. I did squash one of them though, the little light in the chest area is green on the right side, but still red on the left. I totally do not remember having to do this before when I played through the remake last year. Hopefully that head on the left reappears soon if it is in fact what I need to advance.

edit: ah poo poo. Now I see. I never remembered that because why the hell would I remember a couple of boring rear end gray platforms just sitting there. Goddamn it.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 24, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Does the Wrath of God ever make an appearance in rooms without that Beelzebub eyeball somewhere in the terrain?

I can't recall where exactly, but I am pretty sure there is at least one incidence wherein the eye is either absent, or may be completely hidden behind other objects. >99% of the time though you get a warning if you are watching for them. I was just ruing yesterday over how much of a liability the stupid weapon fairy is in most areas. I wish the wrath hit and killed her instead of me.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rirse posted:

Can't reach the treasure chest in Chamber of Birth where the Dimensional Key is at. I got all the items placed and the chest is now in the room with the glow (which I got the item for that), but the Wiki says to break the wall in the next room, but no matter where I go, I can't find a teleporter that takes me into that small section with the skeleton.

This one throws me off every time too.

You need to use the teleporter to the right and down from the grail point (B4). It's easy to forget about. It's in the top row, behind the pedestal door (a blue elephant)

ShadeofDante posted:

I feel like I asked this last time while playing through the game too but I'll give it a shot...

How does one get to the enclosed path on the Surface?

I am in the Chamber of Extinction and at the ladder that I know leads to it. But it's way too high to jump and I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here...

Is that the Golem that you need to activate and then stand on to get up to? If so, attack him to turn him on, lure him to a good spot, and then hit him again to turn him off. Then climb up. Or are you trying to get into that passage inside extinction in which case you want the backside door that opens after the boss is defeated (the door below the Giant's graveyard entrance)

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 25, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ShadeofDante posted:

Thanks for the hints. Is it even explicitly stated anywhere that you have to attack a golem til it moves anywhere? In a game where you generally DON'T want to piss off giant statues it seems counter-intuitive.

I beat all the guardians though... furthest I've ever got in the game too.

One thing that bugs me about the Sacred Orbs is the one above Tiamat's room. How the hell was I supposed to realize that during that sub-boss fight that would be my only chance at going up there?

In the original game, said mini boss had a giant platform on his back, and so it was blatantly obvious that you were supposed to use it to climb up. This time around, the clue is that there is a ladder leaving the room. In every other mini boss battle, all exits are removed entirely (or not there in the first place) The golem has a clue tablet somewhere or other, at least I think it does.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snidesworth posted:

Beat the first boss, spent an hour exploring before I found my way into the Mausoleum of the Giants where I defied a tablet and read it twice.

Has anyone that went into this or the original game blind, not done this at least once?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I've been trying either that or time-stopping the water pillar, but ugh. I'm such a jittery mess when I get to the second screen that I gently caress it up somehow.

I just need to approach it with a cooler head tomorrow or something.

Screw that, here is the easy way:

Sit on the platform under the ladder, around the middle of it. When the boss is on the left side, get ready.
As soon as he starts moving towards the right, jump to the left and then immediately start holding right on the controller, then hit your double jump. He will bump you up to the platform 100% of the time, and the timing isn't even hard to land, as soon as you get it, you will be able to do it dozens of times in a row if need be. Seriously, forget the stupid water jet, and forget trying to stop time to do it. Doing it this way will allow you as many chances as you need (health permitting) up stairs to pull it off without having to reload because you already blew out your lamp.

Upstairs, forget about the stupid lamp, just drop down the right side through the spikes and take your hit, hop on the pot while still invulnerable (the Move+DeathVillage combo will increase that window) and then do the rest of the hopping. The only hard jump is getting onto that first block after the spikes. After that just go slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shlapintogan posted:

It's one of the developers. It's just a bit of a joke, like how La-Mulana is meant to be Naramura's name with the last bit taken off and put on the front.

I think you mean first to the back: Ra-MuraNa

• Locked thread