Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I already dislike using the Piranha on any class that lacks an accuracy bonus, because the spread is infuriating. If you take the smart choke and just fire into a wall at medium distance, you'll see a neat, uniform ring of bullet holes around your crosshair, with nothing in the center. It's ridiculous, you have to aim just slightly off center, unless you're at arms length. It's still very effective, I just find it annoying.

I think fixing it without ruining it would actually be pretty straightforward. Make it very heavy, like as heavy as a claymore, and significantly reduce the ammo reserve. That would make it too heavy for casters, and inconvenient to use as a sole weapon, while allowing it to retain its effectiveness as a boss-buster and close-range weapon for gun-focused classes. It's not a solution for the unstoppable shotgun-toting infiltrator problem, but that's due to poor class design, not the gun itself. Geth Infiltrators are only marginally less broken with claymores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Human soldier is also great just for the ability to pair adrenaline rush with the claymore, which dumps a fairly enormous amount of damage on any particular target at one go.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Some people care waaaay too much about their e-peen, even when it's as ephemeral as round ranks that don't actually matter for anything. I'm not even sure why he thought I was being particularly kill-stealy. I kill things that show up in my reticle, I'm pretty sure that's how everyone plays it.

He was probably just a moron, but since you say he was playing a Krogan, it's somewhat possible you were stepping on his play by preventing him from getting rage mode. Vorcha and melee-focused Krogan are pretty much the only case where kill stealing is actually a thing, because they need credit for kills to stack bloodlust and trigger rage mode. If you're playing with somebody who is doing that kind of play, you can just pay attention to what they're killing and aim at something else a little further down the line, so they can get rolling.

Of course, even then he'd be an idiot, because that's a really dumb style to farm WGG with.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Am I missing something about Quarian Infiltrator? I have experience with 3 classes so far so this doesn't really mean anything but it's just seemed far weaker than the Turian Soldier I was rocking before. The damage bonus on cloak is only significant if I use the Mantis which is a pain on a lot of maps, sabotage doesn't seem very good, and sticky grenade is naturally very limited.

It's not a top tier class. I play it from time to time just for variety. I ignore sticky grenade, build cloak for duration and bonus power, sabotage for backfire and tech damage, fitness for survivability, and the other passive I can't remember off hand. Then I grab a Wraith and an Acolyte. I just run around sabotaging people and shooting them in the head from cloak, and stripping shields off bosses with the Acolyte. It's not optimal but it is a change of pace, great for objectives and rezzing people, and the one-two punch of sabotage backfire and the shotgun is great at cleaning out enemies. If you had a regular buddy who was good with another tech class like human engineer or something, you could probably put in some work with the +50% tech damage.

Also, speaking of the Wraith, infiltrators and shotguns are best friends. Originally everybody just sniped with them like Bioware intended, but generally they have better synergy with shotguns. Shotguns are also overall the better weapon on Gold because they have very high per-shot damage (meaning less time exposed to the enemy per unit of damage) and ignore the shield gate. If all you have is a mantis, there's not much point to sniping.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
E:
^^^^
Oh hey, good timing

Zikan posted:

What's the best build for a Batarian soldier? Last time I took one for a spin I maxed out all the melee on the fitness tree along with all the blade armor damage buffs and it seemed pretty effective. Is melee focused backed up with fist spikes and fire grenades the way to go? It worked fine of silver but I never tried it on gold.

Originally I played the class mostly by wearing and shoot knives, but I found I didn't like it so much. This was especially the case after they fixed ballistic blades, because when the class debuted the cone evolution at level four was glitched and gave you a 360 degree cone, meaning every enemy in range in whatever direction would get a face full of knives. Anyway, mixing it up in melee range is risky on gold, even with blade armor, against boss-types your effectiveness declines sharply. Additionally, building the class for melee requires you to spread your points out and you have to compromise--i.e. missing out on the later tiers of inferno grenade, or taking fitness through the melee evolutions and losing the survivability.

Right now I have him specced for mixing it up with guns, like so:
BatSol

Batarians have good base movement speed, so you can quickly close to your preferred engagement range and then maintain the range to stay in that pocket. They also have a lot of shields and health, so you can mix it up better than most. You want to set up 10-20 paces from the enemy and alternate ballistic blades and shotgun blasts. Building blades that way effectively lets it function as a second claymore. Hit the enemy with ballistic blades, then claymore them in the face while they're stunned. If they're still alive, blades will explode while you're reloading and stagger them again, at which point you can shoot them again. Quite often, if you fire the claymore and immediately pop blades, the animation will glitch out--your reload animation will be interrupted, but it will execute anyway at the same time as you're firing the blades. I can't get this to happen 100% of the time, but it usually works that way. Alternatively you can cast blades to reload cancel, which also works.

If you place your claymore shots well, this will tear up anybody unwise enough to get near you. Pyros you can just run straight up to, and pop blades in their face before they burn you, then off them with a claymore headshot. Phantoms will typically go into "cloak and hide" mode after a good one-two punch, at which point you can toss an inferno grenade on them and move on to something else while it kills them. Hunters are still really dangerous, because they stunlock and you can't dodge at all, but if you pay attention you can kill them very quickly. Inferno grenades are also great if you see a group of them moving cloaked, because it will do a ton of DOT and highlight them for the duration of the burn effect.

And of course, now that I mentioned inferno grenades I have to gush about how awesome they are. You'll want to bring whatever gear you have that boosts your grenade capacity. Each grenade will do over 2200 points of DOT spread across 8 seconds. This stacks with each grenade you throw, so you can toss two of them into the middle of an enemy spawn and in 8 seconds everything that isn't a boss will probably be dead (including phantoms, I think). Evolving them all the way to 6 lets you take +50% damage against armor. I have a shock trooper III gear that gives +1 grenade (sadly, that's my best capacity gear so far), so I get three, meaning that I can dump them on something armored and it will tick off 10,000 damage. The best thing about this is, it's a DOT effect so you can go do something else while its burning if you need to. Say there's an atlas, and your team is focus firing. As soon as the shields go down, you toss your grenades, and then you can go watch your teammate's backs while they and your grenades finish the job.

I can usually dominate gold with this build, even without consumables, although as always with the non-dodging characters Geth can get very ugly.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 15, 2012

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Reacean posted:

So I've recently unlocked the Talon, and I've seen it mentioned many times that it's the best gun, but I think I missed the reasoning. After using it for a while, I'm not convinced in a world where the pirahna, saber, and carnifex. What makes this gun so good?

I think Lagomorphic said he would do a full sperg-dump on it, but the weapon it's most directly comparable to is the eviscerator shotgun, which is a pretty okay shotgun. The talon is similar but better in every respect: more damaging, more accurate, faster firing, lighter, and has 4 shots instead of 3. Compared to the other pistols, its amazing. The only real problem is that it's an ultra-rare and consequently hard to level, but in terms of its overall characteristics it's one of the best guns there is.

E:
Didn't know about the bonus damage to shields and barriers... even better than I thought.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The Batarian melee involves you standing toe-to-toe with an enemy for over a second while the falcon punch charges, so it's not a good one to use against Phantoms unless they're already staggering. It works better with something like the Krogan or Vorcha heavy melee, because they execute quickly and move a certain distance, so you spend less time in the danger zone. Phantoms can still totally insta-kill you any time you get near them, though, without regard to what you're doing. They'll even take priority over a biotic charge if they feel like it. There are enemies that can be dangerous but follow fairly basic rules so you can work out ways to beat them, like Pyros, Brutes, or Atlases, and then there are enemies that pretty much just cheat and are bullshit, like Phantoms, Hunters, and Banshees.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dilb posted:

Nah, Phantoms need to have done a melee attack and not switched to doing anything else. It's entirely reliable to Ballistic Blade->Falcon Punch, because they can only get in one swing before they get Punched and Exploded, which staggers them.

In that case, what probably happened in my experience is just getting caught by a Phantom that had already tried to melee somebody else, so it was already primed for a sync kill.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Yeah, that does happen. I've seen Phantoms do a quick double-kill by meleeing someone who was already weakened and then turning around and insta-killing another dude who was coming to help (usually me, if I saw it). And then they can travel in pairs (or packs :gonk:) to stunlock with staggered melee attacks until one can disembowel you, too.

The worst is when 2 or 3 of them come around a corner at the same time and they simultaneously start shooting their palm blasts, which will drop you so quickly that you barely even have time to register what's happening, let alone doing anything about it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Zuriel147 posted:

1. What's a good build for the turian sentinel?

6/6/6/4/4.
Tech armor goes Durability->Power Damage->Power recharge.
Warp goes Detonate->Expose->Pierce.
Overload goes Chain Overload->your choice->Shield Damage. Some people don't like Neural Shock, because enemies that fall over can be harder to shoot, and the more dangerous enemies are all immune. On the other hand, an enemy affected by it will stay down for at least a couple seconds longer, which can sometimes be useful. Also if you maintain a low weight (and you should, since you're a caster) the recharge speed isn't an issue.
Take power damage & capacity for your racial passive, and durability for fitness.

Building your class in this way gives the best compromise of casting and durability, and the class's powers are great. Warp will inflict good damage and reduce the effect of armor, while overload strips shields and barriers and gives you some crowd control from the chain upgrade. However, tech bursts are a bit iffy (explained below) and you can't do biotic explosions on your own, so what your powers are really doing is setting enemies up to be finished by your teammates or by your guns. The Hurricane is a great complement to this class, but since you say you're just starting out you probably don't have one. You should use whatever weapons you have available that don't drop you below +150% or so.

There's also an alternative build that I haven't used in ages because it's less versatile, but I used a lot when I first got the class. You ignore warp and max everything else. This gives you a lot of survivability from tech armor and fitness, great bonuses to guns from the Turian racial passive, and overload is a wonderful utility power for crowd control and barriers. This is a little easier to play at you might consider it until you're comfortable with the game and you "graduate" to more complex tactics.

quote:

2. What techs lead to a tech burst, or more clearly, what creates a tech burst most reliably?

Overload primes a tech burst on whoever it hit, and if the same enemy is hit with a different offensive power (i.e. warp) inside a window of a few seconds, it will go off. With the Turian sentinel this is sometimes hard to do, because with tech armor active the cooldown on overload will usually be only barely shorter than that window, meaning you'll often miss the opportunity. It's a lot easier to achieve with a human engineer running combos off overload-incinerate.

quote:

3. I have noticed that my turian doesn't do the "combat roll" you usually get with a double tap of the action button. Is this a glitch or is it just because the class is a bit heavier?

Turians, Batarians, and Krogans don't get combat rolls, although Turians can roll between pieces of cover if they're the right distance from one another.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
It's not a gear thing, Silver is just that much harder than Bronze. There are more enemies per wave, more enemies present at any given time, and they all do more damage and have more health. Things that you can get away with in Bronze will see you promptly killed on Silver. Getting shot, for instance, is not all that dangerous on Bronze, because your shields are strong enough to tank a little bit. On Silver, being exposed to enemy fire will down you in a matter of seconds. There's just a lot less margin for error.

If it's any consolation, the difference in difficulty between Silver and Gold, and then Gold and Platinum, is actually quite a bit smaller. Once you're doing well in Silver, your transition to Gold will probably be easier.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm rank ~111 or somesuch but it would probably be a lot closer to 300-400 if I actually promoted every time I hit 20, which I've yet to do once. Guess this event gives me an excuse to do that. I have 2 respec cards so there didn't seem to be much reason to promote.

There isn't, especially since they dropped respec cards from rare to uncommon, but if you get your N7 in the range of 200-300 you'll be at much less risk of being kicked by jerks who think the number means anything.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
E:
^^^^
I actually never tried the Missile Launcher because the description and the stats for it looked bad, but I see pubbies using it all the time. I checked it out in the class calculator. The missile itself is similar to concussive shot, only with less damage and force, a slower recharge rate, you don't decide when it fires, and it reduces your shields. When a power is a worse version of conc shot, yeah, it pretty well sucks. Max multi-frags instead, they're great.

Elotana posted:

Don't be in cover in the first place. Just ABC to restore the shield gate. Here's a FRAPS I cut demonstrating how you can stagger-tank Cerberus, on that Giant hack where Phantoms spawn literally figuratively up your rear end.

Yeah, I played Dagger/Cerb/Gold with some Slayer who had N7 1200 or something, with my Batarian Soldier. The other two people on the team were terrible; by round 6 or so they were spending most of their time on the ground bleeding, and rezzing them only gave them the opportunity to die where we couldn't get to them safely. Consequently I just stuck to the slayer and backed him while he killed the world with the exact tactics from your video. Since we were functionally a two-man squad with nobody else drawing aggro, I got sync-killed by phantoms from behind a couple times. I think it was pretty late in rounds 8 and 9. He finished up solo, ending on an Atlas both times, which was kind of impressive to watch. Between the stagger from charge, the stagger from PD, and tricking it into trying to melee him while he teleported away, neither Atlas got off more than a couple shots.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 26, 2012

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Since I promoted my sentinels for the event, I decided to rebuild my Turian to see if the "everything but warp" build worked alright, as I haven't used it in ages. Yup, still good. Losing warp makes you less versatile and more dependent on gear and consumables, though.

Also, I have a question about the Paladin: energy drain primes and snap freeze detonates, and the lvl 6 combo evolution of snap freeze gives +100% to tech burst damage, right? It's kind of hard to tell if anything is happening, since tech explosions don't read well through the hissing noise and fog from snap freeze. But when I'm doing that combo, it's dishing out a ton of damage, right?

E:
Whoa, according to the Mass Effect wiki

snap freeze posted:

This ability behaves unlike most tech powers in regards to tech bursts; when used as the detonating power, the tech burst will detonate from your character's proximity rather than the enemy hit.

Can we get a :dice: smiley for Bioware?

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 29, 2012

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Sync kills would actually be manageable if not for a couple quirks. The first problem is the atrocious netcode, which means that you can see the banshee coming and evade successfully, but the host doesn't get your packet in time, so you get killed by magnet hands in spite of doing everything right. The second problem is the stupidity of players getting sync killed when they revive with medigel, which is just obtuse. Nintendo figured out in the goddamn 1980s that you should give players invincibility when they're reviving from being killed. Amending those two issues would immediately resolve most of my frustration with multiplayer.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Pumpking posted:

It takes some practice and is a bit risky to pull off right but works for all sync killers and completely trivialises banshees, especially for vanguards. Its also pretty telling that Bioware is completely unable to make a dangerous, balanced enemy without a sync kill.

There are actually some enemies that are dangerous without bullshit like sync kills or stunlocking. I think Marauders and Geth Pyros are some of the best enemies in MP. If you stay alert and play smart you can handle them, but if you do something stupid or if your team isn't watching the backdoor and then flank you, they'll drop you in a second.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gatac posted:

That reminds me: is there anyone here with an effective Incinerate-centric build? It's not quite as "SKIP THIS" as Concussive Shot, but on most builds I either skip it or drop three points in it "just in case". Same question for Carnage, I guess. Neither seems very worthwhile.

I don't think there's any good incinerate-centered build because it's not a good skill on your own. It is useful for certain classes, though, like this Human Engineer. Overload is your main utility power and you'll be spamming it all over, but incinerate detonates your tech bursts, sets up your fire explosions, spooks Phantoms so they're dodging instead of killing you, and helps burn down armor.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

I maintain BatSents should always, always use a Kishock, because it is just so Batarian to fire a massive spike through a Guardian's shield.

I just played a game to check out the submission net, specced him to leave out shockwave and max all else, and I mainly used the Kishock. I was hosting, so it was pretty fun, although it's kind of hard to get the hang of it. Another fun discovery: when I threw the net at Phantoms they would put up their bubble, so I obviously took the opportunity to harpoon them in the face. Surprise! The bubble also blocks the majority of damage from the Kishock, for some drat reason.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

MrDude posted:

Did they do a somersault as they were bubbling?

No, they were just doing their action crouch with the blue bubble that neutralizes powers. They freeze in place for about a second when they do that, so I would scope in and give them a fully charge harpoon to their faces. The times I pulled headshots that without the bubble, such as when I was actually able to snare them with the net, or when their head was visible in cover, it was an instant kill even from full barriers (I was using a rail amp, if it matters). When they had the bubble up, it only did for about half their barrier. I know I was laying clean hits to the head, because the harpoons persist for a few seconds and they were running around with giant goddamn spikes jutting out of their heads. I'm thinking it's yet another dumbass bug from the people who brought you "shockwave doesn't work past wave 6".

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Just played a Gold/Cerberus. I completed the squad goal by soloing bronze with a Vorcha, but about midway through this second game I realized the other players were having a go at it, because they kept letting themselves bleed out when I couldn't get to them, and one time it was down to me and another guy and he ran himself out of ammo and said over voice that he wasn't using his pack. I hadn't used any consumables to that point, either, just because I hadn't needed them, so I decided to go along. Trying to get the squad objective in Gold didn't seem wise, but I was playing pretty well. I wound up the game without using anything, which was pretty cool.

Of course in wave 9 one of the other guys used a missile on a lone atlas that I had already half killed. Dunno if he was trolling or just dumb.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

No Valiant or Collector Rifle, at least one of everything else, including a Talon II.

Spec full Warp + Talon + Incendiary = damage insanity?

A less versatile but still effective alternative to the caster that I've been using since the promotion event two weeks back is a shooter build. By dropping warp you can make yourself a very tough tank, you have overload for crowd control and shredding shields and barriers, and the stability from Turian Veteran is great for the Hurricane. There's also a little surplus weight if you want to throw in a heavy pistol for special purposes. Ditching warp means you'll need to use an ammo power for the sake of your performance against armor, but that's usually not a big deal. A power amp consumable is also good, because it'll give you the ability to pop a phantom's barrier on gold with one cast and a quick hurricane burst.

With overload, I personally like neural shock because I don't typically notice an extra quarter second on the cooldown, and it has a marginal but sometimes noticeable impact on overall effectiveness.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

TacticalGranny posted:

I have also had good success with an Overload only build, but I will never take neural shock. Things that fall down behind cover are much harder to shoot in the head.

I've read this complaint a lot since the demo, and I've never understood it. An enemy that is downed by neural shock doesn't do anything until after he stands back up, so he doesn't really need to be shot until he's stood up again. Once he's stood up and needs shooting, you can see him again. If neural shock causes an enemy to fall out of sight where you can't hit him, you can move him to the bottom of your list of things to shoot at, and work on somebody else. If he's the only enemy around, and you can't stand to wait literally two seconds for him to stand back up, then there's probably a larger issue at work for you.

Neural shock also has other neat effects, for example if you cast chain overload with neural shock on an enemy that is protected or otherwise immune, and the chain jumps to an enemy that isn't, the neural shock will take effect on that second enemy. Being able to take one basic enemy out of consideration for a couple seconds usually isn't that useful, but there are times when it comes in handy. i.e. phantoms and atlases are often surrounded by lesser enemies when they attack, and those enemies can easily kill you while you're occupied with the more dangerous target. Neural shock will chain off the atlas and onto something that's vulnerable to it, and its one less thing to worry about. It's just an incremental improvement in your crowd control, and I find it more useful than .2 seconds of cooldown.

The extra damage against most enemy types is also good.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

TacticalGranny posted:

The 25% cooldown reduction in Overload becomes multiplicative if you're using Tech Armor - it's no longer just a quarter second reduction.

I hate to keep sperging at you, but that's not so. The online class builder takes all that stuff into account, and it shows the equations that the game actually uses to calculate these things. Cooldowns are added up in a slightly eccentric way, and the result is the closer you get to 200% weight bonus, the less any particular bonus will save you due to diminishing returns. Say you're carrying a lot of weight so your bonus is 0%. With tech armor active, and taking the durability option at 6, the recharge speed upgrade for overload will save you nearly 2 seconds over neural shock (7.16s vs 9.07s). That's a big difference. For comparison, if you're doing the same thing but traveling light at 200%, the same choice saves you right around .25 seconds.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Try it the other way around, damage-neural-chain. The last Chain evo also increases damage, and the first damage evo increases damage against anything, and not just shields and synthetics like the last damage evo.

The issue with this is the damage evolution at 6 is so good against shields that you can't afford to miss it, unless you want a pure crowd control build. The +100% damage is multiplicative, not additive, and overload has a starting bonus vs. shields of 3x. The final upgrade bonus jumps that to 6x. Overload built your way will do 363 damage, meaning 1089 against shields. Overload built chain-neural-damage will do 264 damage, and 1584 against shields. This is without other bonuses like tech armor, racial passives, equipment, and gear. With all that stuff, you can get so high as to pop the shields on anything short of an Atlas or Banshee in one cast.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Having gotten both of them recently myself, don't expect to get the same kind of damage output from the Hurricane at anything other than point-blank range. Even then the Harrier is probably superior.

The Harrier and Hurricane have practically identical damage profiles. Similar damage per shot, similar ROF, and same clip size. The Hurricane only looks and sounds like it is firing 1200 rounds per minute from a 40 shot clip. In reality it fires 600 shots per minute, but uses 2 ammunition per shot, does double the damage of any other SMG, and plays a hilarious BRRRAP noise to make it sound faster (most people say it sounds like farting).

The Harrier has more favorable handling characteristics, because of its high accuracy and very low recoil, especially outside of cover. The Hurricane is actually pretty accurate for a SMG, as you can tell from the small crosshair size when you zoom in. The recoil is obviously punishing, but honestly if you use it enough, you get used to it. The Hurricane recoils A LOT, but it does so in a very consistent way, straight upwards. You just have to learn the right pace at which to drag the mouse downwards, and then you'll be putting long bursts right on target. The Turian racial passive, which gives a stability bonus, has great synergy with the Hurricane. Firing from cover also helps a great deal, as does firing in staccato bursts. I've used both guns quite a bit, and I find that the only situation where the Harrier is clearly better is with very long sight lines.

As to the Harrier's main weakness, the limited ammo pool, the Hurricane carries a bit more than 50% more ammunition at any given level (after accounting for its doubled ammo usage, of course). For weapon mods, I think the Hurricane has a clear advantage. The heat sink, which is unique to SMGs, gives you a 45% chance to use no ammo on each shot you fire. This not only lengthens each clip, but it also lets you stretch your whole ammo pool that farther, which means you're not chained to the ammo box like you would be with the Harrier. The Hurricane also has the high velocity barrel, which won't penetrate cover as thick as the same mod for assault rifles will, but ignores a ridiculous 90% of damage reduction from armor. Finally, the Hurricane weighs less than half what a Harrier does, meaning it can be used by basically any class without much disruption to casting.

The Harrier is better at a few things, which makes it more attractive for certain builds, but in terms of general utility and versatility I think the Hurricane is better.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Are you guys really running Hurricanes without the stability mod? Stability + piercing on a Hurricane is amazing. Add barrage gear or stability 3 consumable and experience the joy of the recoil free bullet hose.

You play on 360, right? Recoil is a lot easier to control with a mouse than with a control stick, so there isn't a pressing need to zero it out. On classes that I use the Hurricane with, I usually run heat sink and extended magazines, which basically turns you into a roving Cerberus Turret. You need to equip an ammo power for busting armor, but that's not a huge handicap.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah, I'm on 360 and I'm not bad at using the control stick to offset recoil. I'm also really found of using the aim button though so I get alot of use out of stability bonuses. The Hurricane doesn't take very long to reload so I question the value of the long clip for most characters.

It's mostly for the sheer fun of going BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT for ten seconds in a row and walking fire all over everybody I can see. It also helps some against Phantoms.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Played through a silver match with three other Turians, easy as hell, constant tech bursts and nonstop gunfire. Get to Wave 11, five seconds to go... host decides to leave the LZ to shoot at the enemy ineffectually and blows the extraction. THANKS BRO.

EDIT:
^^^^ Oh hell if you're on PC we're probably talking about the same rear end in a top hat.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ha we posted at the same time with the same experience.

How infuriating is that, though? It was in the bag and he actually left the LZ to go do nothing.

quote:

I am on PC, my tag is TheAbysmal (I don't remember the other players though except that the host was the one who blew it). It was on Glacier right?

Right, my tag is evnsknk.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Here's the goal: "Extraction on any difficulty with all squad members as the same non-human race." The way I read that you should be fine. You may want to do another all-something run to be sure. I mean I'm going to do more than one this weekend just for fun so... I mean the guys still a fuckup but it's probably not a big deal either way.

I hate the way Bioware does this, because half the time the goals are unclear.

Like here is the BSN post for the operation, and it says you need a full extraction:

quote:

Squad Goal: Full extraction on any difficulty with all squad members as the same non-human race. Requires 2 or more players in squad.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
The one good thing about the acolyte is that it weighs practically nothing. It's useful in a very limited way for just spamming into spawns, or quickly stripping the shields off of bosses, and you can get that small capability pretty much for free. I only use it on one or two classes but I never really regret bringing it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Pumpking posted:

The idea is you run around shooting things with the GPS while spamming adrenaline rush and throwing some grenades when things start to get rough. Make sure you use grenades and charged GPS shots against the big guys especially. You have quite a bit of shields and health (for a human) plus with adrenaline rush giving you shields you should be quite survivable while also able to pile on the damage. In practice this will probably be fine on silver, but you'll need to be more careful and know your limits on gold. If you find you dont like the GPS, the revenant would also be a good choice for this build.

Alternatively, if you're able to consistently get headshots, the Human Soldier can make the Mantis surprisingly useful by cheesing the free reload from Adrenaline Rush. Two fast headshots will do 2500 damage on the first hit and 4250 on the second, which is good to kill most any non-boss on Gold (though good luck headshotting Phantoms twice). It's much less effective against bosses since you can't headshot them, but clearing trash is helpful to your mates and your damage will add up.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I was saving up money to spam PSPs when the next DLC dropped, but after I banked 2.5 million credits I realized that it could be a long time coming, so I went out and dropped about half the lot. Got a few (too few) ultrarares, some more gear, and the Argus from 0 to X and the Raider to IX. Tried them both in Silver to see how they ran. I didn't think the Argus showed much, except for once in a while things would come together just right and it would do a ton of damage really quickly. It really should be an uncommon.

The Raider was much better. I think the weapon it compares to most directly would be the Claymore, with the key difference that it does 2000 damage over two shots instead of 1650 in one. It's also lighter and I think a bit less accurate, and it reloads just a touch faster (unless you're reload cancelling, in which case about the same). I was using it on a human soldier for adrenaline rush, and it's a lot of to just go CHK CHK CHK CHK and wipe stuff out. I've often wished that the Wraith had a faster fire rate, but after using the Raider it's clear that would be way too good.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

The Raider seems to have a bug that lets you fire more shots than it can hold if you click really fast.

I've been playing with it a bunch, and I've noticed this, too. Usually I'll fire two staccato shots and then drop back into cover, and I'll still have one in the magazine.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Psion posted:

Got my Raider up to 8 last night after a few rounds of platinum for money. It's not bad. I'm not sure what role it plays since the Wraith is basically the "two shot Claymore" so this is "a different two shot Claymore that reloads slower" but it's pretty good. I liked it a lot on my Batarian soldier.

The main difference are the fire rate and accuracy. The Wraith will only fire one shot every 1.25 seconds, which is painfully slow, but it's very accurate for a shotgun. The Raider will fire those two shots as fast as you like, but is pretty inaccurate.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

The New Black posted:

So the thought occurs - Phasic rounds? Weren't they those rounds from ME1 that damaged health through shields? Could this be the answer to snipers' shield gate woes?

Yup. Phasic rounds damaged health right through shields, albeit at a reduced percentage. They might do that, or alternatively they might reduce shield gating even further. Either way I think it's a bid to make sniper rifles useful again, because they track usage statistics and in my own experience the Indra is the only sniper that seems to be seeing much use anymore. If the Widow or Javelin could do partial damage through shields, or ignore most of the shield gate, it would instantly make them extremely useful again.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Androc posted:

Well, on the upside, this vindicates my sneaking suspicion that all the guns I currently own suck :v:. Are assault rifles still really bad aside from the sabre and mattock?

Another build with human soldier looks like this
http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#10QAMPRT9@0@A@@L4O4@0@0

What you do is abuse the free reload and bonus damage from Adrenaline Rush to get an additional quick shot from a powerful single shot weapon, like the Claymore, Widow, or Raider (which functions as single shot, really). This produces extremely high burst damage. It still can't compare to the Geth Infiltrator, which is the ridiculously overpowered gold standard of weapons damage, but it hits harder than almost anything else. The one caution is that you're sacrificing quite a bit of survivability by going with damage instead of durability in Adrenaline Rush, but if you're good at using cover you can handle it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I almost never encounter a player using their mic, and when I do they're usually just using it to relay boring tactical information, like where the phantoms are coming from. If my headset wasn't broken, I would probably do that. Other times the matchmaker will decide the best host for me is in Moscow and I'll spend a game listening to a couple of guys chatting in Russian. In all the time I've been playing I've really only had a handful of times where I really wished a guy would shut up.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Oh hey good news for anybody spamming PSPs; they apparently messed up and the store will keep giving you fresh cards of the new classes continuously, even after you've maxed all the appearance options. Thanks, Bioware! I probably maxed out the Turian Havoc twice just now. I wonder how much of that 2.5 million credits went straight down the drain.

Even so, I'm still excited to make the new Turians out for a spin. They seem well-designed to the point that I'm not sure how to build them, because there isn't any power I should obviously ignore. Maybe sacrifice the debuff cryo blast for the Turian Havoc, to concentrate full on assault rifles and jetpacks? For the ghost, maybe max Tactical cloak and overload, with 3 points in stimulant pack just for a panic button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I just played a game with the QFE toting a Talon with Disruptor ammo, and there was an N7 Paladin and a carnage-specced Krogan Soldier in the squad. Constant tech explosions everywhere, all the time.

• Locked thread