Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Is Slowbeef colorblind or something because he seems to be incapable of seeing the radius of Stray Demon's or Quelaag's explosion attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

The only titanite you can really waste are titanite slabs, which are what you need to bring weapons up to +15.

Unfortunately, that's just a mockup. :(

Even then you can (very very slowly and painfully) farm them from a certain endgame enemy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Questions, my girlfriend and I are jolly cooperating as a team of Sorcerers. I want to take us through the DLC at level 30, because I think we might be able to do it, what do you guys think? She's brand new and I've got one playthrough (almost,) under my belt.

e: She's about to fight Gaping Maw, and Btown.

It's possible to do so, but she'd have to beat Anor Londo first. I suppose all those extra souls can be dumped into weapon upgrade materials once you get to the Giant Blacksmith.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Without a higher-stability shield or more endurance, you're not going to be able to block his jumping attack at all. Instead try maybe lightening your equip load to get to at least medium roll, and then roll to the side just as he jumps to dodge the attack. Then it's a matter of getting rid of the dogs so they don't trip you up while you hit the Capra himself.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no the Depths has 3 whole boss doors to choose from, I am wracked with indecision. :ohdear:

Also gently caress those bug eyed frog lizards they are the worst enemies so far. :argh:

Odds are two of those "boss doors" are actually the same fog door that you're seeing from opposite sides. There's only the one boss door in Depths.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Gaping Dragon reveal is one of my favorite parts of watching Dark Souls first run streams.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

EightBit posted:

Can't you just run past her, even after aggro? I don't remember seeing a fog wall there when I was trying to cut off her tail.

Nope, you're stuck if you aggro her, until you kill her. That said, I can't believe Asehujiko didn't buy the repair box.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Frampt also hates Seath the Scaleless and will only give you 1 soul for anything associated with him.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

A TREASURE CHEST ATE ME :mad:

YESSSSSSSSSS

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I did and then got crushed by boulders trying to get back out. Now I'm trying to work out where else to go.

I feel bad for poor Davos Onion Knight. Waited all that time for me to open the gates and now he can't outrun the boulders.

Either find your way down to the bottom of Sen's (optional, not recommended unless you have the Rusted Iron Ring) or find a way to keep going up.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

I think I know where you are being tripped up a bit. You have to run against the boulder that comes down, not with it down to the mimic. At least now that you already got everything that is down there.

You can chance just running straight up, if you have light load, you should be able to *just* make it, but if you have medium load, you can go nearly all the way up and drop off to the side when the boulder comes (listen, don't see) and you can land on a little platform with a snakeman and two rooms. One of them should at least give you a semblance of progress.

Or he could take the elevator up from the mimic room that gets him to the central boulder path, which will be safe, and run up that.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Can you not leave by dying if your last bonfire was outside?

If you try to do that you respawn back on the bridge you start the area on.

Ditto for homeward bones.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That sounds like White Dragon Breath to me.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Woo I got revenge for the poor Firelink Firekeeper. Feels good dishing out justice.

I hope I'm not too late on this, but don't use the Firekeeper soul you just got immediately. There's something special you can do with it. It also has a unique description.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Abyss Greatsword is also not worth the stat prereqs but its R2 attacks are a lot of fun.

As for weapons you can actually take to +15, the Flamberge that drops off the lightning-shooting snakes in Sen's is pretty good and also inflicts bleed. It doesn't do quite as much raw damage and scales off of Dex more. The Man-Serpent Greatsword has MORE base damage and scales entirely off of Str.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I went ahead and looked up what you can make from the boss souls I have. They're all things I either can't use because my STR/INT is gonna be too low, or aren't very appealing (like the stupid chaos blade that I was briefly excited about before I looked it up). Is there any reason not to just consume them for souls if I don't want to use their weapons?

At least make Quelaag's Furysword, it's pretty awesome. Otherwise if you don't want to use the weapons you're free to just eat the souls, yeah.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Switched.on posted:

I just killed Nito Burrito, and have a ton of souls. I thought now might be a good time to go hit up Mr. Logan's spell emporium, but I have a question. Whats the best way to get to him at this point? Lore spoilers about Big hat Logan: I rescued him from Duke's archives, but haven't yet bought up his spells and triggered his descent into madness. What's the quickest way to find him in Duke's Archives? Run up from Crystal Forest, or is there an easier way?

Uh, just run straight to him from the Duke's Archives bonfire, it's like 20 seconds away.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Switched.on posted:

Forgot to mention I'm using the Uchi, having a hard time poise-breaking him with it but maybe I'm doing it wrong. I should probably just put something fatter in my second slot for the fight.

In my experience you have to be in Artorias's face right as he starts powering up to have any chance of poise breaking him, especially with lighter weapons. Heavier weapons like the Zwei or Claymore have a little more leeway in how fast you have to rush him down.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Downs Duck posted:

Ah, you were so close too! But, yeah, it was frustrating for a while.

I'm at the top of Sens now, also did The Hollow and Ash Lake. Even found the "more loot" ring without a guide, I just tried everything and checked everywhere. Just killed the giant throwing barrels at me and ready to go through the fog door. Is there any point to defeating the monsters in the pit yet or should I wait until I defeat what looks like the Guardian on the other side of the fog?

EDIT: Also, I suddenly got the option to make some kind of +10 Lightning Spear at Andre, I guess I should just make it? Is it made from the Butterfly Soul or something similar?

vv Okay, thanks. I'll make that +10 Lightning Spear too, just to see how it works.

That's actually an option to revert the +0 Lightning Spear you already have to a +10 regular spear. Hope this isn't too late.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You can't use that shortcut unless you have the master key, the key to open the door to New Londo Ruins is in a chest in Blighttown.

I wouldn't skip Upper Blighttown on your first run, anyways. There's some nice loot available, such as Power Within, and it's harder IMO to do it backwards than forwards. It's very easy to get turned around though.

As for keeping yourself from falling off, that comes down to positioning, really. When fighting on narrow pathways, make sure you're facing down the line of the path, so that the step forward you take when attacking or the step backwards you take from blocking never drops you off of the path.

It also helps to have a good weapon so you can kill the blighted hollow enemies with one stamina bar and not have to back off to recharge. The more you have to move while fighting the more likely you are to fall.'

And remember that all the ladders are marked by torches.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You compensate for the slowness by using the Zwei's ridiculous reach. Start your swing just before the enemy gets in range or when they're recovering from their attack animation. Once you do hit them you're practically guaranteed to stagger them so you can then chain them to death.

The R2 is amazing, it slams most enemies onto the ground and staggers even strong enemies like Black Knights.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Zedd posted:

Try becoming an alpha by being in melee range to Giant Smough until he tries a lightning buttstomp, dodge backwards twice and it should keep you out range for it. Don't attack the friendly npc after the boss though, as tempted as you likely will be.

Unfortunately the Humanity market is a cartel controlled by the daughters of chaos.

Also do it while naked, because you'll need the extra speed to get out of range in time.

(you don't actually need to be completely naked, just under 25% equip load)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't know what the trick is, but I was circle-strafing him during one of his magic attacks and managed to avoid damage.

I'm doing NG+ just to get back to that fight because I missed the opportunity to summon Sif. Being able to skip huge chunks of the early also makes it easy to forget to open shortcuts when I actually revisit those skipped areas to find embers and clothing sets.

Dark shotgun: Roll to the side just before it hits you while circle-strafing

Dark rain: Just keep circle-strafing

Dark nova: Run at Manus, the projectiles will dissipate once they get near him

The shotgun is by far the trickiest to avoid. The timing is pretty tight.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I was surprised at how easily I handled Kalameet, suffering only a small handful of deaths in the attempt. Though to be fair I had a little help at the start from Hawkeye Gough that may have made the fight far easier than it would have otherwise been.

Kalameet: I'm king poo poo of turd mountain, ain't nobody gonna gently caress with me!
Gough: :smug:

I think if you don't get help from Gough the fight is outright impossible to win, Kalameet just stays in the air and nukes you with his breath attack. He might actually be invincible, though I've never tried to shoot him in that situation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Lock Knight posted:

After spending more time than I'd like to admit grinding souls, I'm starting to realize this game is less about stats and more about knowing how/when to respond to baddies and their attempts at violence. It is taking some time for my RPG brain to adjust.

On that note, does Havel's giant claw club thing have some kind of special shield-ignoring quality? My last few (dozen) attempts at glory ended when he smashed me into the ground right through my block.

AFAIK all of Havel's attacks are blockable. You need a higher stability shield.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The curved sword moveset in Dark Souls 1 is much better when you're using two hands, IMO. Instead of kicking shield-bearing enemies, I switch back to one hand and parry them instead.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Are the moonlight butterflies in the Crystal Caves worth fighting? They're non-aggro and I hate that place anyway, so I've never bothered provoking them.

An emphatic no. AFAIK they don't even drop anything, and if you're pure melee it is impossible to kill them unless you can 1-2 shot them because they never ever land once aggroed.

Which makes it really funny when clueless streamers get freaked out by them and repeatedly get themselves killed fighting them.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

If we're talkin' rats, I think the rats under the bridge dragon dropped humanity pretty frequently too.

It says that Solaire is suppose to be available to summon, but I didn't see his sign. Is that just a temporary issue due to network or something?

http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Slayer_Ornstein_and_Executioner_Smough

Solaire's sign isn't next to the boss fog, it's on the stairs in the great hall on the side where the Silver Knight Archer is. Network issues shouldn't have anything to do with it. Did you exhaust his dialog every time you met him?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Fun fact: you can actually leave that room through the fog gate you came in from.

It is the one instance of a two way fog gate in the entire series.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Many fog gates in Dark Souls 2 are two-way. It even says "Enter the mist from behind".

Really? Which ones? And do they disappear afterwards?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

You see that empty space next to your weapon/shield? That's another weapon/shield slot.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Yeah, the Iron Golem has a unique animation for falling off the edge.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The Claymore or the Man-Serpent Greatsword seem like they would fit the bill.

The thing about weapons that upgrade with Twinkling Titanite, Dragon Scales, or Demon Titanite is that while they can't go past +5 the base damage is usually high enough that the weapon at +5 will be roughly equivalent to a normal weapon of the same type at +15, and ultimately stat scaling determines which one does more damage.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

The main thing to be concerned with is how much you like the moveset. The Black Knight Sword has nice R1 attacks but the R2s are garbage (thankfully fixed in DS2). The SKSS has a decent moveset but lacks a thrusting attack, which makes it weaker in close quarters compared with some other straight swords.

Personally I would recommend you also try out Quelaag's Fury Sword, which is a curved sword with decent reach that primarily does fire damage, and scales off of your soft Humanity count.

Getting enough Demon Titanite to upgrade it to +5 may be a bit of a chore though.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 5, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Don't have it apparently. I really don't use R2 at all, except for the jump attack, and that does more than enough for me. This probably explains why I can't backstab with this sword anymore :). I also don't tend to use a lot of Soft Humanity, but maybe that would change if I found Quelaag's Fury Sword.

My playstyle is just "Hold L1, Spam R1, then if they shield press Right on the D-Pad and spam some fire". I'm not smart about this game at all. I don't use L2, I don't use R2, and I certainly don't use two-handed mode.

Keep in mind that I'm new to RPGs in general; this is really the first one I've played. I haven't even joined any covenant yet, because I don't want to piss anybody else off if I choose wrong. I was aiming for SunBros, but with my current level, I think I'm at the point where helping others with co-op is starting to peter off. Next playthrough :)

Don't have the Man Serpent Sword. I'll certainly try out the Claymore, but yeah, the Zwei is just too annoying to deal with. I don't tend to play glass cannon setups. I didn't pump anything into Int and Faith mostly because I had no idea what they did when I started the game, and I heard not to level too much into Resistance, so I was afraid of it. And by the time I figured it out, I didn't want to waste so many souls to pump them up, so I just never put anything into it. It only gets worse as I level.

Yeah, I could soul farm and pump a bunch of levels into these stats, but I'm playing co-op with my brother and don't want to get out of range.

I realize that my stats are just completely hosed to have fun with, especially for my playstyle. I'll try to be better about it in NG+.

FWIW your stats are just fine for a melee build with added Pyromancy. If you're not planning on using Sorcery or Miracles then it's fine to leave INT and FTH where they are. Never level Resistance.

EDIT: Consider joining the Chaos Servants covenant. It gives you access to some pretty sweet pyromancy.

Quelaag's Fury Sword is obtained by ascending a +10 curved sword at the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo using Quelaag's Soul.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 5, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay so question for you all: I notice that a lot of armor pieces have some pretty curious stats. For example, the Crimson Waistcloth (the red magician costume bottom) has numerically superior defense stats to the Elite Knight leggings, with the exception of the fact that the Elite Knight leggings are more durable and have significantly higher "poise". It seems odd that a piece of lightweight cloth like the Crimson Sealers' outfit or the robes you find by Ceaseless Discharge are superior to heavy-rear end suits of armor, except when it comes to poise. Is poise really that important to justify the generally inferior protection and heavier weights? What do you all usually look for when choosing clothing/armor?

I am appreciating the fact that there is no real obvious linearity to the armor pieces (so far). Even within armor sets, it's pretty common to find individual pieces that are relatively better or worse, which mixes things up. Like, "this set's leggings and cuirass are really great, but I'd be better off replacing the gloves with something else." It's pretty lame when a game sort of brainlessly applies incrementally better stats to items, like Oblivion does, where everything in a given material is better than anything in an inferior material, regardless of what the item actually is.

EDIT: Also, can somebody give me a hint about dealing with the person who murdered my Fire Keeper? The Black Eye Orb has been greyed out the whole time I've had it, which makes me wonder if I need to do something (it mentions Anor Londo) before I can actually use it. I've actually taken it to the New Londo Ruins a few times and haven't had it light up, which makes me wonder if New Londo Ruins != Anor Londo...

It will be really obvious when you can use the orb, just keep progressing.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

This is some loving rad poo poo. This game could be nothing but this one boss fight and I'd be satisfied. Just 2 really well designed, interesting enemies in a straight up, no holding back, fair fight. loving. Awesome.

E: The only thing holding it back from being completely perfect, is the ridiculous time it takes to get back there. The goddamn staircase alone is like a whole minute.

There should be a shortcut that reduces the run time by a lot. It can be even quicker if you make a jump from the spiral staircase.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I'm using the second bonfire in Anor Londo, and just running through all the enemies past the front door. Is the 3rd bonfire actually faster?

It is in my experience, because you don't have to wait for the elevator and the distance traveled is also much shorter. It's a little harder to run past the Silver Knights than the giant soldiers, though. Making that super-shortcut jump means you don't have to run past those Silver Knights though.

If you want to try the jump for yourself, you'll want to run partway up the central staircase until you can see the path towards the boss, then run a little further so that running down the stairs means running towards that path. The idea is that you jump from a high enough part of the staircase that you land on the railing and then drop off onto the path to the boss room.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 10, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Wait, shut the gently caress up...really? I'm going to have to go check this out, because I've never noticed that before.

Also, to update on the whole "95% shield but no apparent damage" thing, yeah, you guys were right: I was taking damage, but it was just teeny, tiny slivers of 1-2 points that were virtually imperceptible on the HUD.

No, he's wrong, you need to have a weapon of the appropriate type at +10 to see the option come up at the blacksmith.

Catalysts can't be upgraded, so it's way easier to see the boss catalyst options.

However many boss weapons can upgrade from multiple types. The (cursed) Greatsword of Artorias, for example, can be obtained with a +10 dagger, straight sword, or greatsword.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

A double post, but my armor is Ciaran's armor and the Silver Knight armor. Is it worth spending a load of souls on the twinkling titanite to upgrade it or should I not bother?

Once you beat Seath the Scaleless it's really easy to farm Twinkling Titanite to cover all your upgrading needs.

• Locked thread