Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Literally knew nothing about Dark Souls going into this game today other than it was hard and boy howdy is that ever true. Went Pyromancer and died a few times against the Asylum Demon but that's mostly because I just tanked his attacks and drank flasks and damage raced him. Then I got to Lordran and ran into some skeletons that just won't die so I ran away.

Also looking at what Humanity does it seems I've probably opened a can of worms. Made myself human but I guess that means I've opened myself to being invaded? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I'm pretty new to this game and I'm not entirely sure if I'm screwing myself over or not. I'm at the Bell Gargoyles now but so far I've only managed to acquire a Black Knight Shield and the Drake Sword but honestly have not really come across any armor that screamed "improvement" over my beginning stuff, nor have I upgraded anything at all.

I haven't leveled up much. Starting as a Warrior, I put some points into Str to get it up to 16 once I got the shield, then dumped some more into Endurance when I came across the Black Knight in the Parish in hopes that next time I run into him, I'll actually be able to block his attacks (doubtful).

Any tips for a newbie without outright spoiling anything?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nahxela posted:

You're already at 16 Strength, so you might want to consider something like the Zweihander...
Oh my god thank you I am in love with this weapon. It's so much fun to use. Two-handing a giant weapon feels very all-or-nothing but it's so satisfying when you slam someone into the ground with it. Already got it up to +4-- probably just going to grind it up to +5 before trying anything else.

Is there anything around the Parish I should do before tackling the Bell Gargoyles again? I can tell I'm going to die to them multiple times before figuring them out so once I get by I'm probably not going to want to spend any more time in the Parish.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright. Updating you all on how I'm doing because I know you're all interested. I nabbed the Zweihander and got it up to +5 and I'm in love with it. Put my Str up to 24 so I can one-hand it and hide behind a shield though I sort of still prefer to two-hand it for more damage also it feels more badass. Found a sunbro to help me with the Bell Gargoyles and we destroyed them. Friend recommended I go to Darkroot Garden next so I went there and beat the Moonlight Butterfly. Explored the Basin a bit-- got Havel's Ring and now I'm rocking full Elite Knight armor with under 50% equip load. I beat the Hydra SOMEHOW and found Dusk only because someone told me to do it otherwise I'd have never ventured through the lake because my real life fear of open water translates to games too. Took the ladder up in the Basin and got destroyed by some dude casting magic and his knight friend. That's about everything I've accomplished today. What a fun game.

But really though, I have two questions. First, without spoiling too much, could anyone give me a little guidance on where I should go next? Seems like every direction has enemies that can school me so I'm never sure which way is technically the "correct" way.

Secondly, I finally decided to try invading people and oh my god that was the most fun I've ever had playing the game. I invaded someone in the Parish and pretty easily destroyed them because they were weakened from a fight with Balder Knights but it got me itching for more so I invaded someone in Darkroot Garden and just watching them run from me as I walked into view put a smile on my face. I chased them towards the Basin and got a little cheeky by trying to drop-down attack them as they rounded a corner but I ended up flying off the cliff and by god I ain't even mad I was having so much fun. Anyway-- I want to invade a lot more. Like, all the time. I've heard tales of a "low-SL darkwraith" and from what I can gather it's someone who purposely stays a low level so they can invade other low levels as much as they want. How would I go about making one of these?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Where is O+S, anyway? I'm SL30 right now and venturing into the Depths for the first time so if it's nearby I could lend a hand.

Can I even help if I've never fought them before?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alright, so a friend helped me sunbro through Blighttown and I finally made my way back to the Parish blacksmith from the bonfire near Quelaag after about three tries or so with a ton of souls to spend as I had yet to cash in since before delving into the Depths. I upgraded my Elite Knight set to +4 each and my Zweihander is at +5 and I still have about 70k souls to spend. Is there any equipment-related things I should probably buy or am I safe to just dump it all into leveling?

Speaking of equipment, I can modify my Zweihander to a number of options but I can't tell what's worth it. What's "raw"? Would it be a good idea to make it Divine so I can take on the Catacombs? Or should I hold out and just start getting 'er up to +6?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Toiwat posted:

I'm now convinced that this game is actively mocking me.

I've gathered up almost 100k souls just from farming the same 7 thrash mobs in the parish.
I'm swimming in Balder gear, I have 6 or 7 shields and enough armor sets for a loving army.

And still no loving sword.

It's starting to stink like Pure Bladestone.
I've had a friend drop some Humanity for me before. Can you drop weapons for others as well? If so, I've got one you can have. I'm never going to use it. I'm SL43 I believe, if we're around the same level.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They don't respawn when they disappear either. I've seen some way the gently caress over the first time I enter a level, then never again. :smith:
Are you sure on that? I saw the Basin one disappear once before I even knew what it was. Second time going down after dying to the Black Knight, I missed my attack on it and it disappeared. Going down for round three with the Black Knight, I killed the lizard.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I rate up messages all the time since I found you don't need to switch around to the Guidance Soapstone, yet all of mine are still sitting at 0.

I just got to Anor Londo but honestly I don't feel like doing it right now. I've fallen off too many precarious edges and just kinda lost interest in the level. I kinda feel like sunbroing for others, but I'm not entirely sure what areas a SL43 would get the occasional summon.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The main area for summoning is near the end so you have to get through the harder parts first.
Not just Anor Londo but anywhere really. I think I could potentially get some hits right before Quelaag but then I'd have to venture down in to Blighttown and that's a fate worse than Anor Londo.

I was thinking maybe lay down a summon before Iron Golem's fog gate but who really needs help with Iron Golem?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Which part are you stuck in?
Not really stuck. Just fell off the rafters more times than I care to admit, then fell some more the first time I ran into those lance-shooting archers.

Now I'm just sitting on a stockpile of about 100k souls and 9 liquid humanity that I don't know what to spend on but don't want to lose so I'm not really feeling like tightrope walking right now and just want an excuse to dick around. I wandered into the Catacombs and that was a pretty cool place but then almost got my poo poo thoroughly rocked in the Tomb of Giants before homeward-boning out of there. I could try out the Demon Ruins but, again, I'd have to wander through Blighttown and I'm just not up for that-- rather just wait until I get this fabled ability to warp between bonfires.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I've been rocking the Elite Knight armor set at +7 for a while but I'm looking to shake things up. I recently just found the Silver Knight armor set and I'm wondering if it's worth going through all the trouble to upgrade it to where my Elite Knight set is now-- Twinkling Titanite is 8k souls a pop!

On a completely unrelated note, where's a decent place to grind souls?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Normally my friend and I can sunbro without any problems-- we find each other relatively quickly and we'rd on out merry way. Today we decided to sunbro Anor Londo and despite me laying down my summon frequently near the bonfire, he had only seen it show up twice during the whole forty minute ordeal and both times I failed to connect.

Any particular reason why our luck could have gotten so spontaneously lovely?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Well, I got the Lordvessel. I've heard tales of how doing certain things with it can lock you out of other crap, so what should I not do with it?

Also I joined the Darkmoon covenant. Tried invading a few times but no dice. Prereqs for invading is that they've both sinned and been indicted, right? Does seem like a totally uncommon thing unless 98% of players are like me and haven't killed any of the NPCs.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Decide to sunbro in Anor Londo for a bit-- maybe help a few more people against O+S. I end up getting summoned by a guy who had yet to venture beyond Solaire's bonfire. S'alright, I don't mind showing the guy around. I take the guy to get Havel's, Dragonslayer Greatbow, giant blacksmith... and as we're nearing the royal sentinels we get invaded and killed.

It sucks to die to Pursuers but it sucks even more dying to protect someone. Makes me feel all incapable inside. :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh my god someone please tell me the Greatsword of Artorias is worth using

I just fought Sif and that fight was so cool. Not particularly hard though; I think I only got hit once or twice? I want to make his sword but looking at the stats goddamn 24 Str required and 18 in everything else? And it scales off all of the stats? Obviously I can't use that weapon on my current character (what's a intelligence?) but I'd love to make a character based around that baller weapon if it's any good.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...but Sif. :(

At least it looks like his Greatshield is good? I'll look into the Abyss Greatsword, though. Thanks.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Roll a boulder at him for fun and profit.
First time I ever traversed Sen's Fortress I plunging attacked that man-serpent and the wall bust open for no good reason. I promptly died because I'm pretty terrible at Dark Souls and spent the next ten minutes thinking I was supposed to attack that wall to break it open and was unable to replicate it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Would anybody be interested in helping a SL55 try to beat Seath in the Crystal Cave? Pretty much every time I enter the room I get my poo poo thoroughly rocked.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Protip for Seath: Don't circle around him unless you really want his tail item (Moonlight Greatsword). The area directly behind him is the most dangerous place to be by far, his tail/tentacle thrashing is devastating.
I'll keep that in mind and try again, thanks.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The worst submarine posted:

If you want some help still, add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/enfy
Just beat him, actually. Seath was a lot easier once I realized blocking and locking on are pointless.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So what areas should I check out next?

I've just beaten Seath and I beat Nito before him. I opened the door in Darkroot Garden, beat Sif, and ended up circling around to where I killed the hydra. I haven't gone deeper than the second Bell of Awakening after ringing it and I haven't ventured to New Londo or the Valley of Drakes. I already revisited the Asylum and went through Painted World.

Not really sure what my options are other than New Londo Ruins, Valley of Drakes, and Demon Ruins.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Well, I decided to clear out the Valley of Drakes because someone said it was fairly pointless for me to go there now. It was a little underwhelming. I really like dragons and there wasn't much there to satisfy my interests. I got a new ring, I guess.

So then I decided to venture into the Great Hollow because why not. Journey through Blighttown sucked and traveling down the Great Hollow sucked too. That area is basically just I Hope This Fall Doesn't Kill Me: The Stage. Only thing that I found relatively tough in there were the Mushroom Parents but I just ran past them so whatever.

Then I step out onto Ash Lake. I really wish people could have told me two things about Ash Lake:
1) It's optional unless you really want to be a dragonbro.
2) This place is essentially a manifestation of your nightmares.
I have a Real World Fear of large, open bodies of water and it can generally be even worse in video games because there's never anything nice that lives underwater. Hell, just wading through the lake after killing the Hydra in Darkroot Basin was enough to make me feel uneasy so you can imagine how I felt running on the thin path through Ash Lake. ...then the Hydra Mk II decided to Free Willy across the beach. :suicide:

Now that I've been sufficiently traumatized by the game, what other horrible places should I visit? Are there any real places I can go to other than New Londo and Demon Ruins? Probably going to save the DLC for last.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I'm mulling over whatever it is I want to do with my next character once I finish this playthrough with my first one and I really want to try out the Darkwraiths because invading people is just too drat fun. I'd like to keep it around level 30-40 for some half-decent PvP but also so I can sunbro with others for, say, O+S if I feel like it. I also, however, want to use the Moonlight Greatsword because I looked up a video of it and it seems like loads of fun.

Would it even be viable to build something around those two specifications? Moonlight Greatsword seems like it needs some heavy investment. Starting as a Pyromancer, it's not going to be until SL20 before I can even two-hand it efficiently and that's with pretty much just dumping every level into Int and the one into Dex I'd need. I'm going to be rocking some pretty terrible health and stamina at that point.

Hell, I've never even cast a spell with my current character. Is there any spells worth using with an Int of 28?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

Since the new sorceries are really good in PvP you can get away with base vitality on a level 40 darkwraith sorcerer.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b...W4sd29vZGVuLDE=

Depending on where you invade this is basically a griefing setup, since few people at that soul level will be able to deal with a build like this.

Oh jesus, Pursuers. I probably wouldn't bust that out unless I invaded someone with two phantoms or something because I've been on the receiving end of that spell and it just isn't fun. Thanks for the build, though! I'm excited to know it's a plausible build. Here's just hoping it can carry me through to the covenant though-- haven't even fought Four Kings on my first character yet and I'm told you need to beat them to join the Darkwraiths?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I just fought Ceaseless Discharge. I seem to remember reading somewhere that people didn't like the fight and even went out of their way to find ways to skip it? I honestly don't really see why-- the fight was not nearly as hard or annoying as I expected it to be.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I died to him once because I stood still to heal up and welp I got smashed.

After I respawned he used one fire attack on me which I blocked and then he never hit me again. Seriously, you just have to stand right in front of him and run back and forth a bit.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Since we're talking about texture replacement, here's a file for all the original "You Defeated" prompts. I haven't tried this myself because I don't know what file to replace but I'm told it works.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ah, sorry then. Sometimes I get home from working all day and there's 200+ new posts in here that I don't get caught up on.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bed of Chaos what the gently caress. Can't even get close without it pushing me into holes or attacking so much that I can't block.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

For Great Hammers, probably the best one for a "Points invested" standpoint is the Large Club, since it causes poison as a natural effect. The Great Club does a bit more damage but it lacks that special property.
I've been using the Large Club for a while now and it's pretty great but the poison is not something you can count on. Hell, I've never even seen it happen. Why am I using it over the Great Club then? Large Club has a fantastic one-handed R2-- a low, wide, far-reaching sweeping attack. All of the Great Club attacks are pretty much completely vertical swings aside from maybe the R1 after a roll.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Beat the Four Kings, which means I have all the souls for Lordvessel. What a trip. I'm assuming the Kiln is the final area? Should I go do the DLC content first?

Also now my Large Club is +15 watch out hollows of Lordran you're about to get your poo poo rocked.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

99 Charcoal Pine Resin.

Hit people with a giant flaming log.
500 souls each? I think I can swing it. Pretty sure I'm done leveling up for this run and I've upgraded pretty much all my equipment to max (except my Knight Helm but like hell I'm spending a slab on that) so it'll be nice to spend souls on something entirely unnecessary for once.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The obvious exception is the butt slam, which you need to fast roll away from. Not sure if you can get away quick enough with a mid roll.
I've gotten away more than enough times with the midroll.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So if I were to warp from a bonfire back to the Abyss without wearing the Covenant of Artorias, would I die immediately?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

TheDuke posted:

Any cool bro around 55 want to help out at 4 kings? Never really had issues with them like this time.

I'm at SL70 so I -should- be able to help. Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaubocks and we can avoid clutter in the thread.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Just started the DLC a boy howdy Artorias was a fun fight. So far the DLC seems to be pretty good quality overall. Got a little ways into the Township before I got smoked by some magic from behind. About how long is the DLC, anyway? I'm nearing 60 hours played on this game and I haven't even finished my first character. It's been a long time since I've been able to say that about a game, let alone play one that held my interest for so long.

TheDuke posted:

Done! Thanks a lot!

No problem, man! Still think it's weird that the third king managed to one-shot you out of nowhere with a sword swing. I've never seen it do that much damage before. At least it didn't take us long to reconnect and we got it the second time! :V

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

And funny enough, the Greatshield of Artorias simplified that boss fight a great deal on NG+. His stamina destroying attacks weren't quite so destroying anymore and I could afford to absorb all his blows. Even when he got a hulk-out in he couldn't do much against that shield.
Oh. Maybe that's why it only took me about four tries. I heard a lot of people were having trouble with the fight but he never managed to break past my Greatshield. It's definitely a good thing to bring along if you're getting rocked by him.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

How in sam heck am I supposed to dodge Manus's shotgun blast. That's pretty much the only thing that's hitting me at this point. I could probably tank it with my shield and just heal up afterwards but if I get unlucky enough to the point where he does this multiple times, I don't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

How in sam heck am I supposed to dodge Manus's shotgun blast. That's pretty much the only thing that's hitting me at this point. I could probably tank it with my shield and just heal up afterwards but if I get unlucky enough to the point where he does this multiple times, I don't last long.

Apparently that move isn't my biggest problem as he has a ring of dark energy that centers in on you!! Killed me in one hit, it did.

EDIT: Also I'm told there's supposed to be a summon in the center of the Manus fight if you saved a certain someone but I don't see it anywhere?

• Locked thread