Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Today's blog post:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/23/abstract-resources-the-metagame/

Abstract resources, the metagame, and something highly unsavory attached inconspicuously to a sanitarium.

Is... is that obleskian whateverthing trying to mate with the sanitorium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

You find something that looks like ancient temple. There is a big sign on the doors.
Sane scientist translates it as: Untold evil is buried here, cursed will be anyone who enters.
Slightly less sane scientist: Untold treasure is buried here and there is a light chance of catching some curse or whatever.
Not at all sane scientist: All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Thanks for the love, folks! I've passed these noble sentiments on to the rest of the development team.

Wait! No! Don't be spreading love all around the team! It will decrease their work morale and we will never see CE released!

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

President Ark posted:

This conversation just makes me want enormous flying electric squidmonsters in the game. A captured specimen of the Aetheric Squid can provide power to an entire city for a year, but beware- Aetheric Squid anger easily and never forget a grudge. :cthulhu:

Yes, this please:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

Today's blogpost: a day in the life of a programmer, or: shadows are mildly better:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/05/15/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-programmer/

We're sort of not quite at a good point to show a bunch more technical stuff; also, I'm recovering from about four all-nighters in a row (not related to CE), so we'll do something a little more cogent next week.

In answer to previous questions: reclaim maybe, adventure mode 'not at this time.'

I now demand Tortoise Manufacturing to be the exclusive weapons manufacturers in the Empire :colbert:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I, uh, blame the weather? http://i.imgur.com/vKYES23.jpg

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

It took me way too long to realise the tentacles weren't holding on to a balloon

That's the party version :toot:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

- chickens climbing the tallest mountains they can find in game and then laying an enormous series of game-crashing eggs

Unless they are laying iron chairs you still have much coding to do. :colbert:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Integrate it into the story mechanics. Every time the powers from on high "ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL" the worker in question loses a bit of sanity from foreign thoughts being inserted into his brain.

Powers from who knows where, sanity loss, that's too complicated. Why don't make it simple - at the beginning of the game you pick one person to be the one in charge and the others just do what he tells them to do. No matter where they are in the colony, no matter if the person issuing orders is currently eating or sleeping or singing happy birthday songs, they always hear him, they always obey and there is nothing strange about it... Why are you looking at me like this? Now go away I have to dig a hole right here.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

- citizens extracting opium from cabbages

You should be glad it's just harmless opium (unless put in very large metal bucket), imagine if your cabbage got an acute case of those mongolian death worms, that would make for an insteresting harvest. :getin:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Are you going to remove people returning from the dead or justify it?

I may be dead but GOD BE DAMNED if it stops me from complaining about communism!

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

Hey guys can you please make a game that's basically Sim City 4 combined with Dwarf Fortress combined with Minecraft combined with Diablo? As a Video Games Ideas Guy this seems like a flawless plan to make tons of money

So it will have terrible AI, each menu will use different set of keys to navigate, it will be written in java and it will be always online with real money auction house? Sounds fun :getin:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

We fear nothing. Nothing! (We will, however, take the best ideas and steal them for our own, as is our way.) I'm more interested in everybody else's response to DF9, though; everything is a good data point on how to make and market a sandbox game.

How about stealing their idea about early access? :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

The mighty Gaslamp blogging machine rolls up again for 2014:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/01/01/and-a-happy-new-year/#comments

(Also, please enjoy the previous week's holiday art post with Diggles re-enacting a Charlie Brown Christmas or something. Where's my aspirin...)

If a tree wakes in the middle of the forest, but there is no one who could serve it breakfast, did it ever trully live? Or was it all just a dream?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

I still only have four e-mails...

And twenty-six coffins still remain...

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Gameplay video: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/19/clockwork-empires-gameplay-video-first-ever-footage/

Using the phrase Early Access has gotten people thinking this'll be on Steam Early Access by the way.

Of course it will be there :colbert:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

I'm very pleased to announce that we're cancelling Clockwork Empires and are launching our new Virtual Reality platform, GASLAMP VR:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/04/01/gaslamp-vr-the-future-of-indie-gaming/

Is Blood & Steam going to be GASLAMP VR exlusive?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm super curious as to why you have decided to go for early access. It's hugely popular with a lot of indie dev studios and there must be reasons for that, did you get access to some marketing and sales data that helped you reach that decision?

Well, they have access to a certain thread on certain forums where people constantly scream at them that they want early access, so there's at least that data :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

nvining posted:

No, but I can see how this would be a useful button. I'll make a JIRA ticket.

Bug report: when you press the "Get the hell indoors" button, everyone runs into the sea.
Steps to reproduce: press the "Get the hell indoors" button, watch everyone go for a swim.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

The above image shows a young woman performing a meat-based levitation ritual, perhaps just the first step of a larger meat-raising career. Her teacher looks on and offers advice, but not encouragement.

(I have received permission to post this :))

To me it seems that the first harvest of the newly developed modified cabbage was great success. Well, the levitation is unexpected side effect but what is important is that the meat is delicious and will surely become the staple of frontier cuisine.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

I thought it was when you raise a squadron of delicious Meat-Wing Fighters from the swamps and use them to assault the Meat Star.

That's no mutton.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Email sent. Schedule cleared. Weather is nice, so that's a plus.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

It's ok, due to a certain actions by certain twitter accounts, I recently reinstalled Alpha Centauri, so now I have some cultists to deal with anyway (I hope they like planet busters) :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks, steam sales

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

•Character tooltips now display if a character is not assigned to a work party (B. Orel)
•Alert icons will now display over characters if they have something you should deal with, Banished-style. BANISHED STYLE. (B. Orel)

Oh, no. I was mentioned in the changelog. Oh, no.:ohdear:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

LtSmash posted:

I wouldn't worry. Actually no, you should worry. Worry a lot, but not about that.

The other day I posted Redacted, now move along. Curiosity got more than the cat arrested by the occultist purgation squad after all. in the testing forum.

I think you are safe: https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/484405616085958656
Oh god. One of our internal testers modded Clockwork Empires so that you can "carve' logs into living dodos.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Don't worry. As seen in the latest newsletter (which you all should be subscribed to), Clockwork Empires are embracing a new, bold direction.

"Quag'garoth-chan" :3:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I love how perfect your name is for this game. :allears:

Believe me, you have no idea :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I wouldn't want to be near to it during summer...

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

As one of the testers, I don't think it is NDA-breaking to say this is a Very Good Summary of what I have seen regarding the current state of the game.

I swear I've seen this in 5 or 6 different changelogs now. But it keeps coming back...

The head is always there. Hiding, lurking, waiting to appear :unsmigghh:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Blog post is here https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07/16/clockwork-empires-earliest-access/

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

From the comments on the blog:
Admin Daniel Jacobsen says:
July 16, 2014 at 10:31 am
Earliest access does not include Mac support. It’s just not quite where we want it to be. We’re hoping to have it ready for Early Access in August, but we can’t promise it.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Daynab posted:

Got it, thanks!

I should probably mention that we have an irc channel at irc.quakenet.org #gaslampgames, webchat's here if you need. https://webchat.quakenet.org/
Come hang out!
Can't guarantee any of the devs will be around often since they're super busy, but we usually hover around 30 people and I moderate it, so don't be jerks!

edit: as much as I love that reference it would be false advertising since Mr. Steelcogworth's nuts have been removed :v:

Mrs. Steelcogworth's nuts then?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Oh right, you huys still can't play, huh :smuggo:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

How do you farm for cabbages? I was promised cabbages. Also blood, but that was from Those Who Are Beyond Our Understanding, not you.

zone farm, click on farm, select cabbages

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

It's nice to see that old friends (exploded geometries) are still around :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

How long will this be in early access before it's good enough to play? I'm looking for a DF-like that will scratch that itch, and while this seems to be what will be closest to that, it doesn't seem to be there yet.

I would say give it two or three months (this extremely educated guess was brought to you by my glass balls), or just read the blog once a week to see what new things have been added.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

New fishmen colour variations are great, I really liked the green one. Also I don't know if it's something new with spawn rates or what but in this latest game, my colony was constantly under attack from all sides. Which was good in the end because no berries spawned nearby so my people had to live off the healthy fish meat. Then I tried placing stone oven and the game crashed (I was not able to reproduce that, so the crash was probably caused by something else), so bussiness as usual :v:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

Are you able to butcher fish people corpses now? or are your people just starving and doing it on their own out of desperation? It would be great if you could actually do something about the bodies now.

I designated nothing so I think people did that on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Renovating is busted? I know a guy...

• Locked thread