Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

-Troika- posted:

I got this off a random loader in the wildlife preserve. It fires basically a 2-round burst (of 2 shots each) and on top of that does a metric fuckload of damage :toot:

Does it still send targets flying like in the first game? :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So, most of the guns I've found have been kind of terrible, which sucks because Salvador seems pretty reliant on weaponry.

Then this bad boy dropped when I was running Fink's Slaughterhouse with 2 other people.

loving shreds enemies like crazy.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I want to find another one of these and do a pistols focused Salvador. :clint:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

XarsonX posted:

I'm am just coming from the perspective of BL1, where I found quite a few oranges in chests and from drops. I understand they wanted to make them more rare, but I don't really have that in my mindset just yet. I still sort of expect them to appear every now and again, especially from boss fights.
I just need to remind myself that BL2 oranges are more like BL1 pearlescent guns.

I poured hundreds of hours into 1 and never saw many purples or oranges on my characters until PT2.5, especially in the Knoxx farming areas, so the gear drops feel pretty consistent across games for me. Having more repeatable bosses with better loot tables is definitely a more interesting way to handle rare items than a giant room with 100 chests.

I'm more annoyed at how each manufacturer seems very tied to their specific gimmick (Torgue always shoots gyrojets, Dahl is always burst fire, etc).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Witchfinder General posted:

So I finally got into shift and input the code, but it says it was already redeemed. I thought it was up for two hours?

Try checking in-game. I got the same message but the key showed up for me anyway when I loaded up my character.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Capn Beeb posted:

All I need is a cigar. :clint:

How did you get that Salvador head?

Zoran posted:

No, he really does have substantially higher DPS with a Master Blaster mod, but only with a good Ogre and his on-kill buffs. It's hard to overstate how incredible a weapon the Ogre is, particularly for Brick.

I wish that gun and Atlas guns in general had returned, even if their existence would be hard to justify in the story.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 4, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

T1g4h posted:

Really? Because again, i've seen people solo Craw from BL1 in minutes using one particular sniper rifle and a classmod that regens ammo. This item being OP affects you... how? Don't use it if you don't find it fun? Let those of us who like using goofy retarded bullshit in our singleplayer game have fun?

Hell, wasn't the whole Gearbox mentality "Fun trumps balance"? Remember when they didn't fix BL1 duping glitches? Or Tresspass? Or Sirens? Or any number of crazy powerful legendaries? And yet people didn't whine and complain and make them change Hellfires or Defilers or Sirens or...

PS bring back the Orion damnit.

I think part of the problem is how they changed the drops. In 1 it mostly came down to farming red chests or the armory/Crawmerax once the DLC hit, and there were no guaranteed drops anywhere. This meant that you could get hilariously game-breaking stuff like a masher Unforgiven but only if you were extremely lucky. Most discussions about PT2.5 in 2 seem to revolve around farming for the Bee, then the CC and then using the Bee and CC to farm the remaining bosses for whatever specific legendary is desired.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If it asks which save to use, always use the local save unless you're playing the game on several different computers.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheSpiritFox posted:

I don't think I've ever even used a sniper on my Salvador. I got two vlad elemental spinguns (one slag, one shock) and poo poo just melts. Though I'm maining an SMG and shotgun because I run out of ammo so goddamn fast dualing two vlad ARs.

I found a Vladof minigun sniper rifle that shoots shock bullets and gunzerking it with a slag shotgun has been really useful for me on TVHM.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you were playing as Brick and that wasn't your Slot 1, Slot 2 and Slot 3 order you were just Doing It Wrong.

I was always more inclined to use the Vladof Hammer over the S&S Crux. I don't care that the Crux was more accurate; the rate of fire on a Hammer once Master Blaster gets going... :black101:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Merry Magpie posted:

Wouldn't copy/pasting a previous profile completely invalidate their fix?

Yeah, that's what I was doing. Didn't know about the "read only" trick. :downs:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Chaitai posted:

If I killed the wrong guy at the end of Clan Wars to farm Maggie, do I just have to wait until I get back there on the next playthrough, or until I reach it on another character?

Wait until the next playthrough; the 2nd playthrough on the same character lets you redo every quest. If you're already on playthrough 2 then you need to make a new character.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RVWinkle posted:

I took Salvador up to 50 without the infinity and Unkepmt Harold and it wasn't difficult at all. All you really need is the skills that increase Gunzerking duration and money shot. Most of the time I used a pair of shotguns with 10-14 round clips. Salvador shouts "Everybody is gonna die!" and it was true. You just run up to everything and shoot it in the face. The only real challenge was to find enough stuff to kill so that you can continue Gunzerking. It's very helpful to use golden keys during your second playthrough but that's mainly due to the fact that you want to skip most of the side quests.

I'm still suprised that Salvador isn't more popular, best DPS, best health regen, ammo regen, ability to throw 2 bonus packages at once, etc.

I did most of TVHM solo with Salvador and it was a goddamn chore because of how the RNG constantly hosed me over. It was boring to abuse infinite golden keys just to try to make progress, because when I used them without cheating the chest would give me worthless E-Tech pistols, slag grenades or mods for other classes.

If you have good enough shotguns or SMGs you can hit and run, and chain FFYLs with Down But Not Out in a bad situation, but unless you're lucky with drops a DPS Salvador is no fun in TVHM.

I did Hero's Pass with my friend who has a fully kitted out level 50 Salvador and just murders everything with a Harold or a pair of Shreddifiers, but I don't look forward to how monotonous it's going to be grinding purples and oranges. I'm not even going to bother because of the steep power curve on items and future DLC that is guaranteed to raise the level cap.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

LAY-ZX posted:

The Bad Touch is only available once per playthrough though, best to save it for when you really need it since it scales to the story level. If you do Tina's optional mission chain she gives you the Teapot, which is probably one of the best corrosive weapons in the game and carried me through most of the first playthrough. Use that until you find a better corrosive weapon, or if you don't find one and find yourself buried under mountains of robot, THEN tip your way to the Bad Touch.

I've actually never been able to get a Bad Touch in TVHM. I've been able to get multiple Good Touches, but whenever I tip her enough money to trigger the dialogue a second time she just glitches out.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

I'm pretty much stuck at level 34. So far I've been breezing through the game using the matchmaking thing, but that all came to a screeching halt after level 30. What's a good way to get to level 50?

You have to start the game over in True Vault Hunter Mode to level up further.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RVWinkle posted:

Edit: according to this article you should be able to pick up a Tinderbox in Tundra Express as well even though I've never seen it drop where they claim: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Flynt%27s_Tinderbox

It only shows up there if you have that specific quest active and you don't have a fire element weapon.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Getting a free level 50 Heartbreaker renewed interest in the game for me; that thing is brutal on a Gunzerker paired with a slag shotgun.

I haven't played this game all that much since finishing the story a second time but shotguns definitely seem to be the way to go with a Gunzerker. Lay Waste combined with Keep Firing, Auto Load and Divergent Likeness ensures a never ending stream of buckshot. Unlike assault rifles or SMGs, shotgun ammo tends to regenerate pretty fast too.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RVWinkle posted:

Last week decided to go back to BL1 just for fun and played Mordecai up to Sledge. I stopped after reading about how you need to play the DLC sparingly and skip some quests if you want to avoid being massively over leveled. I agree with you that the scaling ends up making the game far to easy. Even though it's not perfect, I prefer the BL2 scaling for several reasons:

Endgame is difficult - Games where you become nearly invincible at the end tend to get boring for me. I enjoy games were you beat it and then gear up for the ultimate challenge. In BL2 you still become crazy powerful in PT 2.5 with over the top builds but it is counter balanced by making the enemies strong as well.

Forces you to use different weapons - I always thought it was silly in these type of games with a large variety of items you end up only using a handful of them. Because of the extreme scaling, you have to constantly scavenge for new gear and end up trying out all kinds of things out of necessity. It allows for a more varied experience which keeps things interesting for me when I have to learn how to best use the mechanics of different weapons.

Scaling is perfect in PT1 - Everything is pretty well balanced in PT1 which is where the vast majority of players stop playing. It doesn't really start going crazy until level 40 which is mostly reserved for hardcore gamers.

Borderlands 1 scaled fine in PT1, but made it easy to overlevel in PT2 (especially with DLC). PT2.5 was challenging before DLC made it easy to get high grade weapons. The first game's scaling had problems with making it easy to steamroll everything but it's much more frustrating to hit the ridiculous difficulty spike in 2.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You guys are making it sound way worse than it was. The only weapons that improved significantly from the proficiency bonus were rocket launchers and Eridians, both of which sucked horribly in the first place.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Red chests actually giving good loot? Those drop rates really are tuned back to the first game, drat.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

hope and vaseline posted:

Lynchwood is basically the new Old Haven and I love it. When I get bored I just head over there and tear rear end till I get tired of mowing everything down.

The starting area by the train is a great place for testing Salvador builds. With a Deputy's Badge, a pair of Heartbreakers and a Rampage-centric build it was impossible for me to die, and really fun to mow everything down in seconds. Couldn't do the same with a pistol focused around Money Shot and pistols, but I don't have any good ones yet so that might be part of it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll be pretty upset if I have to pay for the level cap increase. I'm hoping I won't have too, but given how bad Gearbox has been with BL2 content, I wouldn't put it past them.

The first level cap increases was part of DLC in 1. That said, I agree it feels pretty lovely to include it in a character DLC outside of the season pass.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I basically ignored assault rifles until I found a level 50 Kerblaster in a vending machine, and then got a purple Torgue the same day so I could shoot explosives everywhere as Sal. :getin:

I actually miss the old ones from the first game. The combat rifles were decent for close combat because it was easy to spam the bursts, and the machine guns with the huge magazines were amazing if you were lucky enough to find one with decent stats. Roland/Brick with an Ogre are some of the best times I had with Borderlands 1.

The only big box machine guns in 2 are the lovely Bandit ones, and the new miniguns aren't the same because they have to reload every 2 seconds. :(

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jabarto posted:

Aren't Jakobs guns awkward as hell to gunzerk with?

Yes, especially if they have different magazine capacities.

For gunzerking I've found Hyperion shotguns to work the best, although SMGs are not too shabby.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Bandit guns work great for this. Everyone shits on Bandit brand but I'm pretty fond of their SMG and Shotguns, especially the Slagga/Tattler.

The Dog, Slagga and Badaboom are pretty good Bandit guns, but almost all of their non-unique stuff feels pretty terrible to me. I tried gunzerking two Bandit machine guns and it was fun to see how much lead I could put out before reloading, but the damage was lovely as hell.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I got a Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold from a Torgue Vendor and just tested it against some of the repeatable bosses. :stare:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

11 new levels? I'm curious about how they tackled enemy and weapon balance.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Tin Tim posted:

Sooo..they really want you to use their cool slag gimmick, right?

The quest thingy is neat though. No more need for saving quests in TVHM.

I already feel like I'm too reliant on Slag in TVHM; this just sounds dumb.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Tin Tim posted:

I'm literally at the end of my first TVHM run, and have never used a single slag weapon in combat. I'm pretty sure that's because I play Axton and drop my turret when things get hard though. I just had the impression that the new mode basically becomes hell without slag. But we'll see, I'm honestly excited to try it.

The only character I have at the moment is a Gunzerker, and PT2.5 is basically making GBS threads out as much burst DPS as possible or die. Until I found my pair of Harolds every fight involved me using a slag gun and another high powered weapon of the same type to make sure things died quickly enough.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Have they said if the level cap increase is specific only to the third playthrough? It'd kind of suck if TVHM was still stuck at level 50-53.

Also, it just occurred to me that raid bosses are going to be even more idiotic on UVHM.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The big box machineguns from BL1 were loving awesome and no one will convince me otherwise. :colbert: Ogre and Serpens were the two best guns Roland could roll with.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yip Yips posted:

It's the other way around really. SMGs in general were way better unless you were able to pick up an Ogre or Serpens. Also anarchies were common drops and hellfires were one of the easiest legendaries to find.

Purple Vladof machine guns are pretty great too, and not that much rarer than a good Malevolent Stinger or Anarchy. Atlas makes the best purple MGs but those are pretty rare unless you farm the Knoxx DLC for top tier loot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Pretty much every boss respawns after you finish the mission they are associated with.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

From the posts on the Gearbox forums, it sounds like the legendary drop rates are extremely high to compensate for the increased difficulty.

I can't wait. :getin:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So, I couldn't kill Captain Flynt with a pair of DP Harolds alone on UVHM. :catstare:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I got him by swapping out one of my Harolds with my slag Rubi. Just didn't expect the cheesiest Sal setup possible to not be able to kill the first real boss.

Aside from Flynt, it hasn't been too bad so far. Enemy damage isn't really noticeably higher but they take a lot more shots to go down. 5/5 Money Shot, then maxing out the skill for weapon swap speed seems like a must-have for UVHM.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm on my way to the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve and I haven't had much luck with drops either; most of them are blues that aren't even improvements on my level 50 purples or lovely Spiker pistols. I'm leaning hard on my DP Harolds at the moment.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Jack's body double survived 30 rockets to the face after being slagged, then didn't show up after I respawned. :thumbsup:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I used a pistol Gunzerker with a level 50 slag Rubi, DPUH and Sheriff's badge and it got me through the entirety of UVHM. The Rubi's healing combined with the massive damage of the Harold means you can stay healed as long as you hit things.

Most of my deaths came from having crappy shields due to bad drops, or the Harold not being able to consistently hit things behind cover during FFYL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It was not until UVHM that I realized the Rubi will heal you for ANY damage done, so I combined it with the Firehawk shield for interesting results.

• Locked thread