Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

You can dodge them? Ive always just kinda kissed my rear end goodbye if I saw one coming and I didnt have something to shield myself. Learn something new every day

If you time the drift-boost (I don't know the proper term for it) correctly, you should be able to outrun it. Supposedly you can do the same with blue shells but I've never actually seen that so my friend may be full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

edit: ahh wrong topic ignore me

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Why are they referring to 7th and 8th gen systems as 'Gen 3' and 'Gen 4'?

Probably referring to Unreal Engine 3 and 4, I'm guessing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

So is the update NOT showing up for anyone?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Instead of using the Download Management page, use the System Settings > Update function. That should get it going. It's possible they haven't sent out the push notification for updates yet.

Oh, there it is. Thanks!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Artix posted:

...and having to go through the menu to select/deselect your missiles/super missiles/powerbombs/X-Ray Visor every single time is really clunky.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but you can just press select to cycle through your missiles/super missiles etc. But I can't imagine how you could ever play through Super Metroid if you didn't know that :confused:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

That's the Japanese box art, I wouldn't bank on it being the US/Europe box art.

The US box art is gonna be the same except Link will be scowling.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why isn't the Gamepad the best case scenario for new Nintendo games? Wouldn't they want to do that to prove the worth of it? Very strange that the old controllers are the better way of playing.

Wasn't Pikmin 3 originally being developed for the Wii, or am I making that up?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

snickles posted:

And make animal crossing free with purchase of the console as a sort of 'hub' for Nintendo stuff.

Why in the world would they make animal crossing free?? Isn't that one of their best selling franchises right now?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hey you guys remember the summer (fall) update? Do we have any idea what's coming with that other than faster loading times? If it's taking this long they've got to be adding a bunch of features and stuff... right??? :ohdear:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

SilverSupernova posted:

I heard some complaints that it was a rather lazy port compared to previous Zelda re-releases (which usually add a new dungeon or something) as well as Star Fox 64-3D (which updated the voices, music and graphics by a noticeable level, added a level select and completely redid the multiplayer mode) which was released at the same time. But overall I think it was still praised.

Whaaaat? Did these people play the game or even look at screenshots??

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm placing my bet for the update coming on October 20th because I consider myself an optimist.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The GameCube is an indestructible monster so yeah you just had uncommonly bad luck with that one.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Has anybody had that blinking red light issue pop up only once or twice but not had to eventually send it to Nintendo for repairs? It happened to me the other day but it was working after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Then later I unplugged it again because I was scared and I haven't touched it in a few days, my brilliant logic being that if I never play it again it won't break. I'm just wondering if I should be worried that it's on the fritz or if that's just a thing that happens sometimes.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Red posted:

Honest to God, I just saw this commercial on TV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

A real, live commercial for the Wii U was just on TV! I'd never seen one on TV before!

I saw it too but the "upgrade" thing made me sigh.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'll beat up all you chumps in Smash with an N64 controller. See me.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Did the Wii VC ever even get Chrono Trigger? I feel like it didn't but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Nope, sorry, the game is 100% cat suits and cat related activities, such as sneaking up and pouncing on unsuspecting rabbits.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Of all the totally valid reasons to hate Other M your issue with it is that you couldn't figure out how to press the 2 button to jump?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Would it be feasible for Nintendo to release some sort of adapter or router or whatever that could extend the range of the game pad, or does technology not work that way?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Joel McHale was the best part of what little of the show I actually saw (that embarrassing moments video) and also he's handsome.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

axleblaze posted:

There was also Wario World for the Gamecube, which was also just alright, but not really special. The most notable thing about it was it had the most obnoxious pause music in the history of gaming.

"the raddest loving pause music of all time" you mean

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can keep the sensor bar plugged into either console and it'll work with both regardless of which one is turned on and being used. I think I had that set up going for a bit

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It does, but then you have to turn the Wii U on to use the Wii.

pretty sure you don't

e: I mean maybe I'm misremembering but I'm like 90% sure when I had my wii and wii u hooked up at the same time I had one sensor bar plugged into the wii u and was able to use it for both systems without needing to turn the other on. just try it and prove me wrong ya dummies

e2: I'm not in a position to test this right now but I'm bumping it up to 99% sure, get at me fools

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 26, 2013

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fibby Boy posted:

Fantastic. Guess I gotta go buy another sensor bar.

just tape it in place man. unless it doesn't work even when it's plugged in I guess

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Okay, since the Twin Galaxies site is currently down(?????), there was a massive list of bullshit and inaccuracies posted by Walter Day. There are references to Walter's list all over the site, but here are some that I could find(in lieu of the site).

A core theme is that Billy Mitchell is an rear end in a top hat, one who doesn’t even deign to spend time in the same location as Steve Wiebe and won’t even come in to eat lunch at the same table as him. In fact, Billy came in and paid for lunch.

Billy denies Steve the satisfaction of playing one-on-one on Donkey Kong. They’d played Donkey Kong one-on-one a year before the documentary was filmed at a previous championship.

It seems like Steve Wiebe finally gets a chance to top Billy and that same day, a videotape arrives and Billy tops Wiebe. Steve Wiebe already had the top spot in Donkey Kong, having achieved the record before the documentary started.

The videotape that Billy sends in has a suspicious glitch. The videotape was a copy and the original was sent in with no glitch.

Two representatives of Twin Galaxies arcade forced their way into Steve’s garage and looted the machine. Two members of the same social scene as Twin Galaxies and Steve were let into his garage by his grandmother, and asked Steve for permission to photograph the circuit board.

A number of insiders constantly appraised Billy on what was going on at the competition and took suggestions from him. Multiple times, the conversations being shown from both sides are not the same conversation.

The documentary is pure, 100% bullshit and lies, and the director has already written it into a screenplay and has been shopping it around, because it, as a work of fiction, is a great underdog story. They edited the footage to make it look a certain way, they altered reality. I bet you think Michael Moore was given that gun in Bowling for Columbine ten seconds after he signed up for that bank account, and that he didn't arrange everything weeks in advance.

The entire purpose of that lovely film is to point and laugh at a subculture, to smooth over reality and turn it into a film, a film where the Good Guy family man Steve was wronged by Evil Billy Mitchell and his vegas wife(Billy has kids of his own, which is only shown once for around 20 versus a whopping 14 minutes combined footage of steve with his family). I'm really sorry that anyone can just show you a thing and you instantly believe it, you must get trolled by photoshop a lot.

yeah but that movie still rules though

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I loved the golden sun games when I was a kid, so I got dark dawn but couldn't stand it after a couple of hours. then I realized that the other golden suns were pretty bad too. motherfuckers never stop talking in cutscenes

MinibarMatchman posted:

That "Luigi Mario Bros" thing is so hilariously lazy. Swapping sides going from right to left plus jumping higher for the original goddamn NES game? Even as a freebie for Remix 2, who would bother? How many more loving times are we going to play SMB for the NES

idk man for all the things to criticize nintendo for being lazy about I don't really think this qualifies

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I feel like they would have mentioned that in the last direct but who knows with these guys

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Platinum games don't really go into detail on the quirks of their mechanics but it's all stuff you can easily figure out on your own after playing for 15 minutes anyway. if somebody went through MGR:R without understanding how to the parry then I don't know what to tell them.

that being said, wonderful 101 hasn't really clicked with me the way bayonetta and MGR:R did, since I haven't really felt compelled to play it in a while, but I'll pick it back up eventually

e: has anybody else had any issues with the pause button not actually responding at times? I thought maybe my gamepad was broken but it hasn't been an issue in other games so I don't know

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I've already ordered my zss body pillow, should get here in a few weeks

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I have a relatively new tv and I can go into wii mode by holding the b button while turning the system on like deafmute said

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Got it, people should only make and play games you like, and it's a bad thing to let your ip be made in the style of a very popular series.

hey it's ok if people don't like the idea of hyrule warriors :)

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Should have given the Zelda License to Bethesda IMO.

please don't troll

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what is the point of collecting coins?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

your paranoia is really silly and based on the budget constraints of a 15 year old game (and not the more recent actually complete game that it is more directly related to) so I kinda hope it does get cancelled just because

jk I want it too and I'm reasonably confident it won't be cancelled :cool:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

are nfc figures really just little statues that unlock things in games or do they do anything else? I mean I understand why that would appeal to children and how they could make bank for the company producing them but uh... I don't know where I'm going with this, they just seem pretty dumb I guess

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

actually that's pretty cool but I'd feel less like a tool if it was just on a card or something

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Any tips on how I should get any enjoyment out of Metroid Prime Trilogy?

what kind of question is this

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

try using the disc as a frisbee or something, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Does Metroid Prime Trilogy have a button that quickly centers the Wiimote like Skyward Sword?

the reason skyward sword had that is because it used the accelerometer for aiming instead of the sensor bar so I doubt metroid prime trilogy would have it, unless the controls work differently than they did in prime 3

• Locked thread