Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Attempting to murder a fellow student?? Stay overnight in the naughty room! <:mad:>

Obviously Dumbledore knows what's up and that's why he stopped the fight, but it's pretty funny they're just letting them roam around to inevitably discover the terrible secret of Hogwarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Random thought on what the grand reveal of the magocracy will be:

Magical tools are people. This is why there aren't any slaves and why they keep invading surrounding countries--to get supplies.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Just caught up with this, thanks for making the thread OP! I really like this series, the world has a lot more depth than your average shonen.

The last panel of 153 is wonderful, Titus is just so happy. :3:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Random thought on what the grand reveal of the magocracy will be:

Magical tools are people. This is why there aren't any slaves and why they keep invading surrounding countries--to get supplies.
Future chapter spoilers, this is pretty near what's happening, and apparently Dumbledore Magneto is now using flashback magic to show how the magicians mutants were the ones that used to be persecuted.

This arc seems to be moving pretty slowly though, I really want to see what's happening with Alibaba and Mor.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Getting some strong Solaris from Xenogears vibes from this place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Getting some strong Solaris from Xenogears vibes from this place.

I just hope there are no canneries. :gonk:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
At least good ol' Doc Uzuki isn't around to teach our boy Aladdin any morally dubious lessons.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 155

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Looks like I was not far off the mark. :smith:

No wonder they don't tell anyone until they have undergone "Ideology Reformation" :gonk:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Looks like I was not far off the mark. :smith:

No wonder they don't tell anyone until they have undergone "Ideology Reformation" :gonk:

I think part of what really draws me into the Magnoshutatt arc - and this isn't a spoiler but certainly draws from the raw chapters - is that it's really hard to see who the 'good' and 'bad' guys are. In this chapter for instance:

Even the townsfolk think their quality of life is better than that of the higher level citizens. It's not that they're brainwashed, either - they knew precisely what their lives were like before becoming a glorified Magoi farm.

And to cover the future chapters a bit, not super serious spoilers:

Even the Chancellor, Mogamett has been presented as an exceedingly positive character. I believe he also has had some affiliation with Solomon, and has been entirely surrounded by the super great ~white rukh~ since his introduction.

So there's a lot of gray area in this arc, and I like it quite a lot. I'm almost dreading the inevitable introduction of Al Sarmen and the black vessels in this arc because it'll make things too concrete and straight-forward.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know who else had a connection to Solomon? Most of Al Sarmen. This isn't really a manga where the villains show up as allies in the following arc due to how much they enjoyed brutal beatings and speeches about friendship. Friendly old arab Dumbledore is anything but.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That little girl's about to get a deadly metaphorical 2x4 to the face, isn't she?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

A dystopia where nobody works and depends on free weed handouts from the government? It looks like those poor people are trapped in OBAMA'S AMERICA!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was wrong, it's not Solaris, it's the Matrix where everyone already knows they're batteries.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 156

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Here's hoping we get Balbadd 2.0 :black101:

E: They are too cool!

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 26, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Chapter 157. Sense Scans are really blazing through these raws.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.

Sled fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 27, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

"There is no war in Ba Sing Se Magnoshutatt."

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Sense Scan is definately trying to catch up with the japanese release. I think they have already caught up already (since I usually read the chinese version, which should be up-to-date).

But Magi is definately getting more and more amazing

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
poo poo's going down.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I like how the not-Egyptians pet cobra is just there, checking poo poo out. :3:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So Mogamett's not just dumbledore, he also seems to be (Ch. 158)Wizard-Hitler.. Sarcophallus mentioned this upthread, but it's interesting that his rukh is noticeably white. Aladdin has difficulty reconciling this with the massacres he saw via his flashback magic. I assume that the revelation we're heading towards is that the colour of someone's rukh is not a straightforward indicator of their moral character, even though this has seemed to be the case so far.

It's also interesting to note that in one of the earlier chapters, Sinbad specifically survived a curse because he was already halfway-depraved. His realpolitik has given him magic cancer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He believes that he is righteous. That, or being an ancient and powerful wizard he can manipulate the rukh around him to an extent.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Serious Frolicking posted:

He believes that he is righteous. That, or being an ancient and powerful wizard he can manipulate the rukh around him to an extent.

So he's lawful evil?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I don't think white Ruhk equates to being a good guy, just following your destiny. He may be a kind of necessary evil. Something bad that facilitates a change for the greater good down the line.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Black rukh is associate with rejecting the current reality, cursing the world to the extent that you want to destroy it. Mogamett believes that wizards serve a particular purpose in the world and he's working (pretty successfully) to achieve his vision.

I'm more interested in how Aladdin is going to react to what he's saying since he's actually a magi. Whatever purpose Mogamett imagines for wizards, justified or not, can't apply to Aladdin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Soylentbits posted:

So he's lawful evil?

Not really. D&D alignments don't really work with any vaguely complex set of personal ethics.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 159

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

"70 years ago I was... a hunk!"

Wondering if Old Magic Man will bring up the Magi as a reason why those drat muggles/goi were always the ones to take and keep power. It doesn't make any sense for wizards not to rule the world in a setting where magic is hereditary, so I'm happy to see the issue being addressed directly.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

He mentioned why right there in the chapter, unlike whatever world Aladdin and Al Sarmen came from, magic isn't as developed so people couldn't really do much with it, and most "magicians" are hedge witches like the grandma from the Kouga tribe. Not to mention how if you look at the population figures a couple of chapter back, magicians are a small minority of the population. People like Aladdin and Titus are freaks of nature as far as magical aptitude is concerned, and even then other freaks of nature can probably handle them pretty easily (an adult finalis for example).

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Scrree posted:

"70 years ago I was... a hunk!"

Wondering if Old Magic Man will bring up the Magi as a reason why those drat muggles/goi were always the ones to take and keep power. It doesn't make any sense for wizards not to rule the world in a setting where magic is hereditary, so I'm happy to see the issue being addressed directly.

It's quite likely the case that Magi are an influence on keeping Goi in power, mostly because Magicians can't use Djinn. A Magi could never pick one to be a 'King Candidate' because of that incompatibility.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Scrree posted:

I think we're going to get an earful from Mogamett about the injustices of how the Goi treated the magicians with concluding with the death of his darling daughter.

As a result, everyone will feel deep sympathy for the current situation in Mustashim and understand why the Goi are treated like they are.

Overall, the Goi seem to be pretty happy with things. Sure, your kids will die young...honestly, I don't see that being very sustainable. They're going to have to start importing Goi pretty soon, I think.

I'm enjoying the manga and anime both. I'm very glad to see the mange being translated on a super-fast pace now. I will be sad when we catch up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dan7el posted:

I think we're going to get an earful from Mogamett about the injustices of how the Goi treated the magicians with concluding with the death of his darling daughter.

As a result, everyone will feel deep sympathy for the current situation in Mustashim and understand why the Goi are treated like they are.

Overall, the Goi seem to be pretty happy with things. Sure, your kids will die young...honestly, I don't see that being very sustainable. They're going to have to start importing Goi pretty soon, I think.

I'm enjoying the manga and anime both. I'm very glad to see the mange being translated on a super-fast pace now. I will be sad when we catch up.

I don't think they were so happy about anyone who gets sick being chucked down a hole. Anyone who complains is also chucked down the hole. I suspect that if a mage just doesn't like the look of someone, they are chucked down the hole.

The inhabitants of the ghetto are desperately rationalizing their situation because there isn't anything they can do about it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dan7el posted:

We did catch up. 160 should be out relatively soon, at least.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Algid posted:

People like Aladdin and Titus are freaks of nature as far as magical aptitude is concerned

More like Titus and Yamuraiha. It probably isn't fair to compare a Magi to a normal magician, they are on a totally different league.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

More like Titus and Yamuraiha. It probably isn't fair to compare a Magi to a normal magician, they are on a totally different league.
Aladdin is operating on his own right now, without any ambient magoi powering him up. He's still freakishly strong, especially considering how he's only 11 and magical strength depends on physical strength and (presumably) maturity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A magi's advantage over a mage is that a magi has infinite mp. Aladdin has Solomon's Wisdom on top of that, though I'm not sure if it is really omniscience like one guy said.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Solomon's wisdom seems to be the ability to communicate directly with someone's soul/rukh, without any way for them to lie or otherwise evade the ability. I guess if he used it all the time (and if it applied to thing other than living people) it would functionally be the same as omniscience. Not sure how his flashback memories relate to that.

Regular mages do seem to have more magoi than muggles, though I guess that's not necessarily that case. Morgiana (and other finalis) seem to have really low mp, while Sinbad isn't a mage but still presumably has a lot of magoi. Every magi so far has been exceptional mages in that they have a large mp pool in addition to being able to recharge it at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Bro Dad posted:

A dystopia where nobody works and depends on free weed handouts from the government? It looks like those poor people are trapped in OBAMA'S AMERICA!
it's hilarious because obama actually hates weed more than bush did. in any event, seems like they could just advertise their free alcohol and medicine scheme and get plenty of willing applicants instead of being all evil about it.

just finished marathoning the whole thing. I'm glad Ugo got taken out, for some reason that mechanic never appealed to me and so I didn't give the series a chance until the anime started.

• Locked thread