Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This gives us a significant chunk of what the prequels tried to tell us in a single scene.

And then Vader chokes a bitch. And it has Peter Cushing in it. Great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

justsomedude posted:

Yes. I want it to happen so fast, no one is even sure they saw it. And then when Leia and Luke start to run down the hall, they realize Han isn't following. They turn around and see Han Solo laying face-down on the floor.

And Leia is all like, "Han? Han?" and turns him over, and half of his face has been grotesquely blown off like that scene in Super, instantly transforming the scene into a living nightmare.

Or the way Uncle Derrek in Sarah Connor Chronicles went out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Rirse posted:

Wasn't he also given a ship because his friend Biggs put a good word out for him?

That was pretty much it. There's some support for Luke having to do some sim training, but Biggs' recommendation got him that consideration. It can't have been the first time Red Squad integrated a new member in actual combat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

I wonder how much of the EU could have been saved if they'd just let Han and Leia become Nick and Nora Charles in space.

I've run noir themed Star Wars RPGs, so I'd have to say it'd probably work amazingly well. I just with I'd seen any of the Thin Man movies beforehand.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SirDrone posted:

I always liked how after Sarah shoots the liquid terminator it impales her before making a "I don't think so no no" hand gesture, for a killing machine that sure was sadist.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles took that and ran with it in several ways. They had the liquid metal terminators being built up as an independent third faction. That's what I really miss from the third season that never happened.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Corek posted:

Ben Burtt was the lead sound designer for all six movies and the editor for the entire prequel trilogy and nobody talks about him saving or destroying movies.

I don't know if he "saved" the series, but his sound design contributed greatly to making Star Wars the smash hit that it still is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

I think the main failure with the prequels was the fact that Episode 2 just meanders.

The one essential edit to AotC is to cut the frolicking scene. You know the one. It's the biggest waste of screen time, and is rather poorly done to boot. Skip just that one scene and the whole movie is paced better.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it makes sense psychologically, but it's still not a lot of fun to watch. It didn't ruin the film for me because there's a lot of stuff I like in it, but I can see why it was a deal breaker for some.

It's not so much a dealbreaker as a pacing killer. I like your analysis of the scene as is, but including it in the movie just brings the whole thing to a screeching halt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SirDrone posted:

I'm going to regret asking this but awhile ago whilst playing battlefront 2 with a friend he informed me of lots of EU lore or general bullshit such as Chewbecca being killed by a moon, however what exactly did he mean when he told me there is a book featuring Luke using the force to infiltrate some alien building by making him look attractive only to end up getting molested along with Han Solo's daughter having forced sex alongside space rape bugs. Please tell me he was shouting bullshit and not making this crap up.

That's bullshit. The bug sex was consensual.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SirDrone posted:

What was Grievous like in the EU before the films? Because it's funny how he is always OP in any video game.

He's like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Wow, I knew Clone Wars can pretty violent for a cartoon but I never expected to see a Jedi decapitate several enemies at once on screen.

That was an under appreciated arc. The leader of the Deathwatch was a good villain with a good VA. Ashoka got an actual - well, almost - romantic side story. She got to do stuff on her own and develop quite a bit. There was a lot to like in those episodes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Also, keep in mind that the Falcon is a freighter. Its a space truck. How many people still drive ancient pickup trucks around?

Han has been working on that ship for years. he's had decades to keep making special modifications to it. The hull may be older than he is, but the engines are totally custom and brand new.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gorson posted:

The "Plinkett" character is just a smoke screen and to add entertainment value. The man behind Plinkett is actually very insightful and probably knows more about movies than any of us ever will. IMO sometimes he takes it too far with the "serial killer" stuff, but it does keep the viewer interested. I also highly recommend his reviews on the Star Trek movies.

The serial killer gags and the story with the prostitute are their way of showing that they're not just critics, they can actually tell a story and build characters. It's all to help establish their credibility.

The third review has the breakdown on how RotJ is shot as cheaply as a soap opera. That's a big part of why that's the important one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I've never seen this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hFh35U3go deleted scenes from Episode III. Some of these are pretty cool and I wish made it into the final cut. There's a lot of unfinished CGI in them.

Oh god the first two clips are terrible. If you've ever wanted to see first draft.avi, watch these.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lunatic Pathos posted:

There are some episodes which are effectively sequels of episodes seasons earlier, but they're not predominant. Honestly, I would skip anything that's not great and not feel bad about it. However, I think all the Mandolorian study is great, especially the earlier stuff that introduces Satine.

Satine is probably one of the best characters in the show and one of the only good role models in the entire prequel era. She is uniquely clear sighted and 'gets it' in a way that doesn't happen again until Luke, though Ahsoka picks up a lot of her outlook.

Edit: Her critique of Obi-Wan and the Jedi in general is spot on, and why those early Mando episodes are important.

And the setup with Sabine is not only good in its own right, but there's a fantastic payoff to the Deathwatch arc in Season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Madurai posted:

Is Tatooine part of the Republic? It didn't really even seem like part of the Empire, later--they just had a garrison there.

I always had the impression that most of the stormtroopers on Tatooine in Ep. IV were deployed from the star destroyer. Vader explicitly sends troops down, but on the other hand there is what appears to be a local informant. It'd be local enforcers who had contacts like that.

Oh, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvswNDAAZCU

• Locked thread