Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Well I played a fair amount of NS1 from around '04-'09 and I was always spectacularly bad at that game. Like going 10-16 on K-D was a good day (a weird feeling because I'm usually a very good FPS player). I played my first game of NS2 today and it seems that not much has changed. 1-19! Of course, the tutorial videos in the game were woefully bad at preparing me for this and my old NS1 go-to strategy of going Gorge, capping resource nodes and fortifying them obviously doesn't exactly work anymore.

I'll go back and read a bit more of this thread but is it unusual for me to be getting lovely fps (~20-30 range, spiking into single digits) on medium settings when my computer can run Skyrim and CoDBlOps2 smoothly? Any tips for that beyond just disabling everything that should make the game look pretty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just dropped my settings to low and turned off shadows (and v-sync was already off). Now I'm running at a much more respectable fps and I've got one proper game as each side under my belt. Dropping a gliding Lerk with one perfectly placed shotgun blast was a fantastic feeling, as was going nuts with a scrounged GL during the quite heroic and protracted last stand. Though when I was on the alien team, our commander was the only non-rookie on the whole squad and I was the only one with a microphone aside from him. I actually started figuring some poo poo out (and some good NS1 instincts came back to me) and even went Lerk and started legitimately kicking some rear end. I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy this once I get to the point where I don't have to pull up my map constantly just to find my way through hallways and find the names of rooms.

And yes, basically everyone I've met has been super friendly and helpful, doing a good job of recruitment/outreach with the F2P weekenders. I myself got the game a month ago and just didn't happen to download and play it until this weekend, purely by chance. I'm in this for the long haul now, and should be popping my head in some goon servers soon. Same name there as here.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Yup, definitely hooked. I played a good four matches this morning and finally got a win... and top score marine! Our commander was a goddamn mute again, so I found myself confidently ordering people around the map over the microphone and people listened and it worked (I apologized to the commander for cramping his style, but he didn't respond to that either). Truth be told it wasn't a great game and we stomped the poo poo out of the aliens, but it sure helped with my confidence.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just got done with a series of games, the most silly of which came on the heels of two rush victories for the marines on Summit. At the end of the second game, someone started sarcastically bitching about the lack of welders on voice chat. "How am I supposed to do anything without a welder?" he cried. Other people got in on the antics and went to town praising the versatility and effectiveness of welders ("Is there anything my welder can'tdo?") once they were researched. Once the third game started, the only thing our commander researched were welders, armor upgrades, jetpacks, and MACs. About half the team began throwing their LMGs and pistols on the ground when they spawned, attacking only with welders. We had the aliens locked down the whole time and slowly wore them down until we finally got some ARCs and shotguns, getting the victory a couple minutes later. There's nothing quite like watching a pack of 6 marines fly around chasing a lerk with welders for several minutes and then chasing it all the way back to the hive.

I don't know what the aliens were doing, but they were good sports about it.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I would be playing this game all day if I didn't have crashes every two hours or so. It's doing a pretty good job of telling me I've been playing too long.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Motherfucking troll commanders recycling everything everywhere tonight. I've also been called a friend of the family in two different servers. WOOO!!!

e: Just jumped to another server, this guy is everywhere. Avoid inv. Joe! like the plague. Wish I knew how to get a SteamID on him.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 8, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I was playing earlier today without any problems, but now any time I try to join any server, I get immediately booted when it tries to connect with the message "incorrect network protocol". Any idea what's up with that and how I can get back to playing? I tried verifying the cache through Steam and that completed without incident but wasn't any help.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I've been drawn to the railgun exo ever since I went as one on Mineshaft, passed through the Gap, and blasted a mini-base (crags, shift, harvester, hydras) in the NW corner of Central Drilling from across the room in a very efficient manner.

My aim is so bad usually that I can't hit anything aside from a hive even with dual miniguns. I feel like it's worth it for me to go railgun and get a lucky shot off or find a stationary fade for a moment to get that damage concentrated in one burst rather than .2 seconds of hitting a target with miniguns followed by blasting away at the floor until I overheat.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
"smashmouth shoot the eggs"

Which one of you was that in chat?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
So are they going to make him into Old Gregg? What is this?

e: This was before the eyes and teeth, mind you.

And man, this is pretty stupid and all, but holy poo poo these babies in the stream chat are impatient. And yes, incredibly immature.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 12, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
That first game was indeed great, I had a lot more fun watching than I thought I would since I've never spectated competitive/professional gaming before!

In other news, I just finished my very first game as commander. Boy was that rough. I only jumped in when the game started with 2/3 of the server in the ready room and no marine commander. I thought I would just drop some extractors and jump out, but people said I should stay and just go for it. I'm happy that people were so encouraging and forgiving, but I still feel a little crappy for being so overwhelmed and ineffective. It could have gone a lot longer but I didn't think to drop a 2nd IP in Hydroanalysis before the power in main base (whatever the southernmost one is) went down and we lost a bit prematurely. I even had ARCs outside monorail ready to go (which were probably about to be destroyed the moment I scanned the hive). It also probably didn't help that I didn't know the menus at all and didn't use any hotkeys.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Fallom posted:

It's really sad that people call low effort poo poo like jumping in the comm chair and recycling everything "trolling".

lol u mad bro?

Ugh...

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just played a game in the IBIS server and wound up with another known hacker who quickly shot up to 30-something kills as a marine without dying. I grabbed the NS2ID and such with the console command (it's 11685468) but the Google trick Fred Dawes shared a few pages back didn't work. I did, however, locate this YouTube video with his ID listed in the description and a link to his Steam Community page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNLJfVF68uI

I think someone just asked this, but can the Goon server mods preemptively ban him or something? I just thought I'd share the info in case it was helpful to someone.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Man, I've always had crashes with this game, but not this frequently. In the past 24 hours this game has locked up on me 5 times. It's rare for me to complete a single game anymore.

What I'm getting is a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library "Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." message almost every time. Half the time I'm lucky enough to get back in (thank goodness this game starts up so quickly) and get my spot, but often the server is full or I have to go on the other team when I get back. This last time I had just purchased a dual exo too :(

e: VVVx2
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty bad at this kind of stuff, so I didn't even think to check. Seems I don't have the C++ 2012 redistributable package installed. I'm updating that and we'll see if things get any better. Already tried the Steam cache stuff to no avail.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 18, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
What about catbutthole?

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Well, thanks for the suggestions, but even after a C++ library update and such, I'm still crashing all the time. At least the crash report thing works now so I can alert them that something's up.

You know what else sucks? Playing in a rookie-friendly server with some jerk who thinks it's fun to beat up on newbies and ends up going 42-0 when only a couple other players are barely cracking 10 kills. He stuck around for a couple rounds and made fun of other people throughout the whole ordeal. Real classy, rear end in a top hat.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I don't seem to have problems with premature conceding, maybe you're just unlucky?

Like just now, we played a Descent game in which we were baserushed in Drone Bay early on while expanding. Our comm jumped out to fight but was killed while we lost our IP. Two guys (of our 8 or 9) made it back, killed the last bit of the rush, hopped in the chair, and rebuilt. We respawned, secured Hydro, harassed Launch Control and managed to get back into the swing of things. Our commander was frantic and always jumping out to build stuff between his other duties. One of these times, around the third hive completion, another guy hopped in and took his spot, recycling our phase gates a minute later before we ejected him. Luckily we were just hitting the 75 res mark when the Hydro power went down and we got 2 dual exos to take back Hydro while I got a third to defend Drone from the harassing lerks and fades. Somehow it all worked and we moved on to perform some wizardry in Monorail with just one exo and 3 normal marines on support that held on long enough for me and the ARCs to sweep in from the south and finish the job. By that point the momentum had swung completely the other way and we proceeded to steamroll their remaining hives, securing victory at around the 40th (yes 40th) minute mark. Phew.

I'm pretty sure the aliens decided to take it easy on us a few times or otherwise were terribly incompetent, because they spent a lot of res dropping crags and whips everywhere and their first onos practically let us kill him. Still, it was an incredibly amazing game. It almost ended just before the win too, as a map vote came up during the match at around minute 38. We were freaking the gently caress out that it would end before we could get the comeback victory until I scrambled everyone to action in voting for an extend, which barely passed.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
If you could do damage while being devoured, nobody would use devour. That said, the mine idea is hilarious.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Limastock posted:

The ultimate defeat?!

Ha, amazing. Can you attack buildings with drifters too? And while we're admiring Gorge names (I do love them so), I saw my new favorite when playing last night: "3 Gorges, drat!"

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Fallom posted:

I had a comm the other day who announced at the beginning of the round "I'm going to drop Cargo" and then, 5 minutes later, he dropped it without telling anyone. It was glorious hearing him complain about his lovely team after the thing got shot down within seconds - when I said he maybe should've announced what he was doing when he was doing it he said "I DID, YOU'RE THE ONLY PERSON WHO DIDN'T KNOW".

He also happened to be some Server Big Wig so I got kicked.

Gotta love power-tripping admins. I got kicked the other day because someone turned on loving Quake sounds and everyone was shouting for them to be turned off. They also had that mod that makes the game start [u]immediately[/i] when both sides have a commander so the game often starts with one team sans commander because someone was just screwing around waiting for the match to start. Anyway, I made some comment about how lovely the server was and was told to stop being a little bitch and promptly kicked.

In other news, 2 months into owning this game, and I'm finally getting comfortable with commanding a match here and there. So much fun! Though trying to scan a hive and accidentally beaconing the strike team and everyone else back to base is a horrible, horrible feeling. Somehow we even recovered from that and being way behind on proto tech to get my most hard-fought victory yet in only my 3rd marine command. I think the fact that I put the 2nd IP in our second base rather than having them in the same spot really saved our bacon on that one a couple of times. Why is it this isn't done more often? Surely I'm not just some noob comm who has come in and had a flash of brilliance and knows better than everyone else.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I wish the alien com drops were nearly as good.

Indeed. Although as I've been comming more alien teams, I've been getting better at using drifters and enzyme clouds to great effect, and yet I don't see it used by others nearly as much as medpacks or even nanoshields. I've definitely tipped the balance with enzyme to help two skulks to get a phase gate down quickly on many occasions. Earlier today I activated one on a fade in Crossroads who immediately butchered four or five marines and practically started cackling on the voice chat, saying he'd never been enzymed as a fade before.

However, I never remember bone walls...

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
We really need to borrow the "downers" tag from E/N for this thread.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I don't know how we all aren't talking more about the new docking. It looks freaking fantastic. Generator, maintenance, courtyard and a few areas were totally redone to be tighter and feel more like fighting arenas. Maintenance is no longer a deathtrap for aliens because they removed the long hallway. Generator is smaller and looks like marines will be able to fight from the bottom.

For the love of god tell me they fixed or are fixing the resource node in Bar. I've had more games than I can count where it gave "invalid placement" messages to the marine commander no matter what, and it pretty much ruins those matches.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Bleh, just finished a pretty lovely game in which the commander mumbled something about us taking nano right away and refused to drop skylights or topo extractors for us. Turned out he was obviously stoned and incredibly lethargic the entire game and did nothing but complain about how we weren't listening to him. At least we lost before 15 minutes or so rather than dragging that crap out. Please don't command while intoxicated, folks.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I was playing a match on Summit earlier and our marine team was clearly set to win the game eventually, though it was just the five minute mark at the time. Suddenly, I heard an incredulous "Did I just see an onos...?" over voice chat and figured someone was loving with us. Nope! Sure enough, the aliens had an onos at 5:30 or so while sitting on 3 or 4 harvesters. People immediately started yelling at him for cheating and trying to kick him, but he claimed it was a glitch and his res had carried over from a previous round when he was kicked for being AFK or something. Now I've never seen this before, but I've only been playing a couple months. Apparently people think something in the latest patch may have undone the fix to this glitch that was put in place some time ago?

Anyway, be aware that this is evidently happening again, and hopefully some people will send in reports in short order.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Splicer posted:

There's cheating, and then there's seeing the opportunity to make the marine team poo poo themselves in a hilarious manner and going for it. Now, if he plays that onos smart and ends up winning the match with it, he's a dick. If he charges screaming into the main base running around in circles freaking people the gently caress out until they put enough bullets in him to take him down, well that's just good fun.

I agree wholeheartedly. In the end it was a bit of a middle-ground. He was playing strangely conservatively and we ended up soundly winning despite him turning the tables on a skirmish or two and going 20-0 or something.

All in all though, I've actually had a lot of really good games this week. My favorite probably being on Descent when we were ARCed out of our main hive in Launch and left with only the Hydroanalysis hive and a single harvester, yet somehow came back to win almost half an hour later thanks to some of the best teamwork and coordination I've seen yet.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Goddamn that's a lot of stuff. I feel like I'm willing to at least roll with it and try it out, but one thing on there really does not sound appealing to me:

Mega Comrade posted:

Proposed Balance changes
Lerk:
- spores are now tier 3...
- umbra is now tier 2...
I live to Lerk and fly around farting on people to death. This will not stand.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Also, removing the automated armor repair from armories sounds like it's going to be a real pain. I hope people learn to sit loving still long enough to be welded when that's implemented. It also seems like this would clog up marine communication a bit more with people asking to be welded constantly. Perhaps if they also implemented a key to call for a weld as a non-exo marine, as long as it alerts other marines and not the commander.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
edit: ^^^ I know! I actually put rich infestation back on! No longer bare minimum settings for me.

I've actually had a lot of good experiences with other players in the last couple of days. For one thing, I've seen a lot of people being patient and even setting up an entire "tutorial" match to help groups of rookies learn the game.

For another, we had a group of marines who didn't want to command so we started an impromptu rock-paper-scissors game to see who would do it (rifle beats pistol, pistol beats axe, axe beats rifle). I ran over to the contestants who were rapidly cycling through their weapons, aimed my pistol in the air, and told them to declare on my mark. Everything went smoothly and the loser went on to command the game. I love that kind of silliness and that whole group of people was just being super friendly and funny throughout. Now if only my couple hundred hours of gaming since I started in March would translate into not being terrible at this game.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
So the game is on sale for 66% off ($8.49) until July 1st. Additionally, there's a four-pack for the price of three (discounted) copies. Anyone interested in splitting the cost of a pack? That's $6.37/copy! Give a gift to your friends and grow the player base!

Also, I'd check the Steam thread in case someone is trying something similar there.

Edit: On that note, there are a lot of rookies out there this weekend. Try to be on your best behavior and make it an enjoyable experience for them, yeah? No need to piss off and scare away new players. Remember, this community can be helpful and awesome.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 27, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

RabidWeasel posted:

aura is op as hell on ... lerks

You weren't kidding, thanks for the tip. That was really nice to have when I was spike-sniping 6 marines in Cave and was able to prioritize my targets much more effectively.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Alright, now there certainly is a thing as too many rookies. Hooboy. I just tried alien comming on Summit and tried to organize a rush on Sub or Cross (we started in Data and held Atrium). I provided gorge eggs and a lerk egg, explained the tactics of bile-bombing stuff and using umbra and general mayhem to draw fire from the gorges, set up a forward base, pinged the map and provided drifter escort...

...and 80% of my team spent 15 minutes fighting over Crevice instead. Both teams were hilariously inept, but once the 40 minute mark rolled around and we had neither lost nor gained any ground in what felt like an eternity, I pretty much just lost the will to keep trying and hopped out to join the fight before we got overwhelmed. There have been some really promising and friendly new players that have been a genuine pleasure to play with, but a lot of these guys don't communicate AT ALL and just seem to play it like your typical "deathmatch with a suggested objective" sort of FPS, not really getting the point of the game. When those players hit critical mass in a server, you can't really expect them to do anything else when they're all just playing off each others' lead, nor can you expect them to learn anything about how an effective match is played out. I dunno, I'm just exhausted from herding cats all night, hopefully I'll be less frustrated when I wake up.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

thegloaming posted:

Tycho's videos are great, but I'd like to get some more gaming in. Do you guys hang out on any rookie-friendly servers? I'm in California so I don't know how well I'd do on an EU server.

I'm pretty bad at this game (though all these rookies made me realize I used to be a lot worse) so I exclusively play on green servers. Avoid IBIS if you can because the performance tanks a lot and there's almost always an AFK admin who gets shuffled onto a team by the random command. Yet for some reason it's always one of the most reliably populated ones. Before this sale, the pickings were in fact quite slim, so it was pretty much IBIS, Tactical Gamer, Lucky Fkers, Gorge Pub or Mavick's Pub. I enjoy playing on the latter two well enough; they're not particularly fantastic or anything, but there's nothing noteworthy bringing them down either. Tactical Gamer has the aforementioned reserve slot problem that's allegedly not that big a deal if you take a moment to register, and Lucky Fkers was fine until they put a crummy custom balance mod on.

e: VVV Yeah, that's the one I forgot! Also a solid green server for sure.

Visual Sneeze fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 2, 2013

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Just commanded aliens to a loss in mineshaft when we had 3 hives and a 4th on the way. 1/3 of their team were exos spread out attacking everything and I couldn't get anything more than like two goddamn gorges to get together and hit their only base. Goddamn it.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
In case you fools haven't been keeping an eye on the Steam Summer Sale, NS2 is one of the three choices on the current community choice voting. You've got until 9:30 PDT this morning to get your vote in. If NS2 wins that vote, it'll be on sale for $6.25 again for the following 8 hours. Tell your friends, buy some more gifts!

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Limastock posted:

All I can say is if anyone posting here hasnt yet registered on the tacticalgamers forum so they can get a free reserved slot, youre really missing out they have a pretty cool thing going on over there.

Is there a particular NS2 thread on those forums that you need to post in or something? I tried looking around on how to get the slot, but I gave up pretty quickly.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

The Puppet Master posted:

White people are always Imperialists.

Whatever happened to those black marines? :crossarms:

As for playing with your friends, I totally understanding wanting to play on the same team from time to time, but don't you people have fun playing against your friends and trash-talking them on a private channel when you kill them as well? If you're really set on playing on the same team, you've still got pretty good odds at it if it's just one other friend. If either team is down a player when you get in, you can both join that team without unbalancing anything. If they're even, you shouldn't have to wait too long for a single person to join or quit.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Dyz posted:

Use drifters, they can ... heal their armor (useless)

I would almost agree with this, but I actually used it to good effect tonight and man it's quick when it works. We had a couple onoses (onii?) on the attack from Repair to Shipping but got caught up with some marines in Logistics. My guys wiped them out but were hurting a bit. Rather than running all the way back to Repair to sit on the crag and hive for a few seconds, I had them sit still in Logistics while I popped the drifter armor heal thing on them for just a couple seconds, then carry on with the attack on Shipping while there was still some surprise and dead marines. If that hadn't happened, that attack would have been a good 20 seconds later and certainly met by strong resistance.

In a nutshell: yes, forward crags are great, but a drifter armor replenishment can really help sustain momentum on a push.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Tube posted:

Picked this up during the sale on a whim, and I think I just joined the Steam group. How frequent is all-goon play? Or do we pretty much just hop onto an arbitrary server and hope for a decent group of pubbies?

Garfu posted:

I put the goon server back up, a bunch of people are already admins on it, but if you play regularly and want admin just PM me.

It's called 'NS2 Goons Central | 4.4 Ghz'

No mods on it at the moment but I'll be happy to add them if someone wants them.
:toot: Let's get this thing populated! (Eventually, that is; I can't play right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The game is interesting enough to attract new players, but it's grognardy enough that I think most people tend to get good or get out fast.

That seems to be my experience. I'm not great, but I'm competent. However, that's only after a couple hundred hours of dedication because I loved the crap out of NS1 and was enjoying myself despite getting stomped at NS2 early on. However, my three friends who got the pack with me all played for maybe 5 hours at most before giving up because (I reckon) they were demoralized by their ~1:10 k:d ratios and generally feeling hopeless.

That said, I'm hoping to play the game with said 3 friends at a home LAN party this week. I understand there's bot support in training mode now. Am I correct in assuming we could play a training game with the four of us humans and a small team of bots to fill out the numbers?

An aside: I can infer the meaning, but what the hell is grognardy?

• Locked thread