Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Why has everyone been talking about NS and Tribes like they are the same? There's nothing at all a like between the two. Tribes is all about momentum and travel time on your shots. NS is about squad tactics and out maneuvering the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Bolow posted:

Yes what NS needs is a tired lovely meme from 7 years ago
:frogout:

He has something of a point though NS2 needs something more for aliens. Like a big sort of creature that maybe could swallow guys. :mad:

No I'm not mad they took out the onos' best loving ability why would I be mad at that...

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

octoroon posted:

Yeah, "onos anus" was another hot-button topic that was discussed at length on the NS2 forums for ages. At the end of the day I think it's better to err in favor of keeping the action going for everyone -- arguments can be made for and against prolonged crowd control in an FPS, personally I'm against.

Plus, a big reason it existed was as a counter for heavies and also a way to break hard turtles. Exos don't need to be countered by devour in NS2 and there are a ton of other ways to break a Marine turtle.

The solution to it being boring is to let the digested dude be able to do something so when your team focus fires an onos and it runs off you can do a bit more damage cause man how many onos' are like WOW I GOT AWAY WITH 10 HEALTH! The answer is all of them.

I feel like NS2 changes the alien side for really bizarre reasons. Gorges aren't really needed on teams most of the time, Onoses don't seem to fill much of a role, Lerks and Fades seem way more powerful now then they ever were.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

This is a good point, but I enjoy being a Lerk too much to ever be commander.

Hypothesis: Lerks are the fastest unit in the game, therefore the best.

EDIT: I should probably clock some Fade time next.

Lerks are pretty great cause they can shoot marines and no marine ever seems to know how to deal with enemy fire. God help them if it's a wide open area like lava falls or something.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

That Gobbo posted:

I love roosting in a nice dark corner and attacking them as they stand in the open hallway.

Played a game where I got to see what the poison spores and the camouflage looked like from the marine side. The previous game a marine had killed my camouflaged Fade and I got irritated because I had thought it was perfect invisibility. Too bad it wasn't!

Fade seems pretty great for just wrecking the poo poo out of small groups outside of their map control but I really love Lerk's mobility and ranged attack too much.

Fades are pretty great because they cannot die in one on one and will still easily win a 2 on 1 as well. Those claws are so god drat strong.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

The only correct name for the gorge is the wombat.

Fatty or tubs is also acceptable.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Lurking291230 posted:

Can I only get better at being commander by being one? This is rough...

I dunno you can pick up a lot by following what works and what doesn't. A commander who doesn't understand the way the upgrades effect the battle flow on the different map areas won't be as useful as someone who has a feel for how the upgrades are used.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Save for the occasional jackass who gets angry at video games into their microphone, I've not once felt like I wished there was a goon community. Despite the mass amount of newbies, everyone seems to work together. I've had a few where they don't but I haven't seen it to be that common.

It's a good sign!

NS has always a reasonable community of non complete jackasses. You kind of have to be not a dick in order to do well in the game and have fun so it really does encourage people to not be an rear end. The only problem I ever seem to run into is stacked teams and people quitting when a hive/chair gets taken out instead of staying and trying to pull back.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Gormless Gormster posted:

Does anyone else find the aliens a little underpowered?

It seems like on nine tenths of the pub games I play, marines end up steamrolling the aliens within ten or twenty minutes. When the aliens do win, they only do so after about half an hour of soul grinding attrition.

Most alien teams lose because there is always a huge disconnect between what the individual team members are doing and what the commander wants to do. You have to be like the marines and have buildings where people are defending, appropriate advanced lifeforms depending on the situation, and coordination between everyone. Aliens always seem to have everyone sticking to their own goals and trying to take out every base solo as a skulk.

Marines don't need to worry about it so much because they have to follow the commanders plans and build things but with aliens so many people just ignore everything that's going on.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Vortex is amazing but no one ever gets it. Blink into the marine base and vortex the arms lab. Suddenly the entire enemy team has lost 60% of its armor and damage. It really makes people freak out when stuff sporadically stops working.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Game owns. Thread owns. Thanks guys for all the great information here. Coming from what seemed like years of NS1, I was still far more lost than I expected to be firing this game up today.

No one in the server I played in knew what vortex was, so I'm glad that got answered here. Does it seem like like aliens win far more often than marines, or is it just my newbie experiences on first day?

Vortex is one of those new things that no one has a handle on cause it's unlike anything from NS1.

I think it's one of the main reasons why people complain about aliens feeling weaker is because alot of their mid/late game abilities are these really new things that people just aren't used to yet like how vortex can break a turtle in it's tracks or how hallucinations can get commanders to panic about a non existent base rush.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Yep. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, the idea of silenced Onos nailing the Marine base power core. Sounded like a sound idea to me for easy, unnoticed cripples.

I think silence works better then cloak because it makes you harder to notice approaching. I don't think a silenced onos does the whole screen shake walk thing.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

This is good to know. I feel like I've been too liberal in parasiting "important" marines. As in the ones with jetpacks or flame throwers or grenade launchers. I was willing to sacrifice myself to get the parasite on them, but no more!

I was pretty pissed when I realized how quick it wore off. It's so utterly useless now especially with how much endurance it takes to shoot a parasite. There is like no time when it's worth trying to parasite people since if you are in parasite range you can be in bite range in a second and actually do something to the marine. Not to mention how obvious the parasite is now.

I really don't understand what purpose parasite serves now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

I'm pretty sure someone did the math earlier but basically a non-upgraded marine has 160 effective HP. A direct bite does 75 and a parasite does 10, making it just perfect for killing them.

Late game when they have 90 armor that gives them 280 effective health meaning you have to land four direct bites to take them down.

Yeah the parasite will do enough damage to shave them down to 2 solid bites. That isn't to say that it will ONLY take 2 bites as you can deal less then 75 damage on a bite if it glances. I'm not positive how it works exactly but there are times when I've had to bite a dude 4-5 times at the start cause I've only nicked him for 40 damage.

The problem with parasite is that it takes like 1/3rd of your stamina to shoot one spit out. Yeah you can soften up targets but if you do they are going to know that you are there making it harder to approach and you will have less chomps to work with once you get down there. Once you throw leap into the mix it's utterly useless to parasite because that's a leap or two you are throwing away.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Garfu posted:

It is extremely important to use parasite in the early game. If you've seen me play, I always land a parasite before I go in for a 2 bite kill. This is a very important skill/tactic. Later in the game it doesn't matter as much because of the marine armor, but it is still a good idea to parasite marines so you can see them on the map, it's just not necessary to parasite them as you're going in for the kill. By the time leap comes out I use my energy for leaping, not parasite, only in regards to going in for kills. If I spot a marine far away I will still parasite them, regardless of leap.

edit: It used to be cured with a med pack. I kind of liked that because it forced the commander to drop a medpack on you and use res. The armory wouldn't heal it so you were forever parasited unless you medpacked.

The fact that it goes away after 30 seconds means it's basically useless for map knowledge because if you see someone then you probably know where they are going to be for 30 seconds anyway. Marines don't fly around the map in the early game so if someone is walking through lava falls regardless of parasite or not you know for the next 30 seconds they are gonna be moving through lava falls. It's just not useful for that especially when you can stop at any armory to get rid of it too.

I would be fine with parasite if it lasted forever. I would even be ok with it being cured by the armory if that was the case but a 30 second sight time that can't be seen anywhere on the map ontop of being easily cured? Useless for anything but damage.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Exos are infinitely more dangerous when they travel in a line with a good 10-20 feet between one another. Having the Exo behind you covering your ankles makes you infinitely more dangerous. A lone Exo is just deadmeat to any alien if they rush you because you can't turn around fast enough so you gotta hope you get some lucky hits.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

Skulk parasite doesn't do anything to buff damage or something like that. It just does 10 damage and nonupgraded marines have exactly 160 hp with armor. With skulks doing 75 damage a bite it's nothing more then damage.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 8, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Misandrist Duck posted:

Zo had good tips. I would add that depending on how early in the game it is, adrenaline isn't a necessity. Fades can effectively bait and/or scare marines by zooming in, hitting them once or twice, them running away. You'll either trick them into following you (keep moving) or scare them into retreating.

Fades vs marine (of any level stat) should be a foregone conclusion, it's just a matter of getting the mechanics down pat.

Hitting buildings isn't an absolute waste, it depends on the situation. Fades shouldn't solo bases because their abilities are better spent killing marines. However, fades are my preferred mechamism for killin turrets, which paves the way for skulks to clear out bases. A good fade hit on a backwater base CAN force a commander to beacon (fades = intimidating)

Whiskas is right, fades have the best mobility of any unit (especially with adren) so don't hesitate to drop what you are doing and go wherever a commander says "I need someone here now."

Also if you have vortex consider hitting the marine spawn and vortexing the arms lab. Almost always the marine commander only builds a single arms lab and will freak the gently caress out when everyone suddenly loses their upgrades.

Fades can absolutely wreck a base with a single vortex if you toss it right. With how clumped together most commanders place things you can usually hit the observatory, arms lab, and usually a spawn pad all in one vortex. If you open with a vortex on a base that isn't defended by hitting the phase gate or observatory before anyone is there you can have the skulk rush hit the power and take it down before the buildings can come back online.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Brother Scrotum posted:

First off: Improved skulk wall running? What?

Second: Hallucinations are things you can spawn from Shades. You have to upgrade the shade to allow it first. They are a little expensive, but are fun to use if you're just waiting for your team to get together for the final push. Not a lot of use for them outside of trolling the marines.

When they are produced, you control them like any other unit. You select them/highlight a bunch and right click to set a destination. They don't do any damage and die pretty quickly, but if you've got some marines rushing your precious Onos egg in Topographical, you can send a dozen or so fake Onoses after them and they tend to turn around real quick. Or, you can send them in there with a couple of real Onoses, and then confusion and pain ensues.

Alternatively send in a bunch of hallucinations to a secondary marine base to get them all over there then assault the real target with your forces.

A lot of the new stuff for the aliens are really cool but no one uses them.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

whiskas posted:

A poo poo commander with a good team has a decent chance of winning.

An amazing commander with a poo poo team is doomed to fail.

In summary, your commander will not make or break the outcome of the game, unless they are a brain dead retard.

Yeah terrible commanders just end up following the orders from the rest of the team on what to build and stuff so it's really no big deal. Just mildly annoying.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RadicalWall posted:

And this is kind of what makes commanding so frustrating. If your players can't win a 1v1, or sometimes even a 2v1, there's very little you can do as a commander to turn the odds. Sometimes you just get out-played.

No I disagree completely in situations like that you need to use better tactics to get aliens in cross fire situations and flank their defenses.

The problem seems to be in most games people just throw themselves repeatedly at a hallway that gets defended in an effort to master chief through the front lines and take everyone out. Cept that never ever happens and it's always a long drawn out war of attrition where the victory is the team that has other people going out and sweeping up the map. There's never a point where someone just can't do anything cause there are a lot of roles that could be filled.. Someone can't aim? Get a flamer and cover everyone. Person like to harass people? Get a jetpack and kill some cysts and take nodes. There's just always things for people to be doing that are more effective then throwing themselves repeatedly at a single spot on the map. When it comes down to it the most effective combat team in the world can be beaten with better tactical decisions and better over all strategy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Mushball posted:

I'm looking into getting NS2 some time in the future and I want to know how hard is this game is to new comers and how can I be a good addition to a team? I already have a mic and can call out incoming trouble thanks to TF2, but I don't consider myself command materiel yet and suspect my shaky twitch accuracy will be a detriment to my team contributions.

I think it's real easy for new people. The concepts aren't hard on either side and the biggest thing is just sticking together and communicating.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Batham posted:

Well, marines are definitely getting their poo poo pushed in a lot more since the patch. Maybe this change has to do with the Kharaa losing in 9/10 games on the tournament level?

I hope to god they aren't actually balancing this around the tournament stuff. So far every tournament has been the same 2 teams winning over and over. Every time the marine side has such an easier time because cooperating is so much more powerful on the marine team. Two skulks traveling together is nothing compared to two marines covering each other.

It's just a completely different game then your laid back normal game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

I wouldn't say anyone is mad seeing as how, despite a single lovely review, the game seems to be selling quite well. People are just pointing out how stupid/bad this guy + metacritic are.

I think it's true a lot of people could care less about the actual score because it's not like nobody has heard of NS before. It's more that this guy is apparently an insufferable douche bag who is now trying to act like it's not his fault he did a lovely job. Which is really what this comes down to.

The fact is he is paid to be a professional reviews writer and what he's saying now is "Oh well sorry I guess but it's not my fault you just wouldn't understand what it's like being a reviewer." It's the typical egotistical attitude a lot of video game journalists seem to have now a days which is hilarious considering the awful work that he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Why would no one want to go gorge? Bile bombing the poo poo out of marines is the best part of the game.

(closely followed to gassing the poo poo out of marines as a lerk)

If only bile bombs did damage to hp as well. Poor gorge is just so screwed on his own.

• Locked thread