Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

What do you have? Hoping it'll run decently for me as well.

AMD Phenom II x4 940 (pretty poo poo by today's standards) a 5870, 6GB RAM. Playing with most settings on high, AA off. It's only lagging real bad when in a vehicles using the PIP stuff. The PIP is actually pretty drat cool though. Drivers get rear-view cameras, gunners get a monitor in the backseat instead of just viewing from the gun itself. But yeah, PIP murders my framerate. Outside of that it runs just fine and looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002
I'm unable to use my mouse in the menus or change the resolution to anything but 800x600 so far. Trying to force it to another resolution, but I can't seem to find the config file. Anyone know where it is?

Runs great in 800x600 though!

edit: found it in the 'ol "my documents/arma 3 alpha" area

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

YarPirate posted:

So after I paid through paypal, their site crashed and now it says I didn't actually order anything. Paypal still charged my account, though.

Did I just donate 90 dollars? I guess I have to buy it again?

No, just wait a few minutes. It took a while for me after they charged my bank account. Eventually I got three payment confirmation emails for the same order number. Although now when I try to access the link in the emails to pull down the Steam key, I am getting "No purchase of this product found in your account. Please contact support@bistudio.com Fatal ERROR. Contact support@bistudio.com"

I'm just going to wait a couple hours and see what happens.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
More chatter guys come on :( only an hour til home time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I said come in! posted:

But will you be as badly let down by this one as you probably were with Cliffs of Dover?

well so far i am, I cant see poo poo through my aimpoint, its all yellow and my reticle is free floating when i'm out of ironsights.

and Game booster wont recognise the .exe. so i'm poo poo out beans bumping up the GPU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mega Comrade posted:

5.4GB, god drat this is gonna take ages.

What kind of lovely internet you have where a 5.4gb dl takes ages?

It took 14 minutes to dl here. :smugdog:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
took mine an hour at 1.3mb/sec. Rubbish Australian internet.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I've got LogMeIn on my home computer, ready to go. The only thing that is stopping me is their hosting :( :f5:

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 5, 2013

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.
Game is looking and running pretty good on my gtx 580, pretty much everything was on highest settings and generally ran at about 40 fps, although in the infantry mission it dipped to 28 and on the helicopter mission when I blew up a mortar site it went all the way down to 11 with all those explosions :ohdear:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Rocksicles posted:

well so far i am, I cant see poo poo through my aimpoint, its all yellow and my reticle is free floating when i'm out of ironsights.

and Game booster wont recognise the .exe. so i'm poo poo out beans bumping up the GPU

is this English?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Turra posted:

Game is looking and running pretty good on my gtx 580, pretty much everything was on highest settings and generally ran at about 40 fps, although in the infantry mission it dipped to 28 and on the helicopter mission when I blew up a mortar site it went all the way down to 11 with all those explosions :ohdear:

Good lord these screenshots are almost photographic on my phone screen.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Just for some performance news, I have everything set to ultra/maximum, AA on 2x, post processing on low, shadows on low (told they look better but haven't tested yet), using FXAA on highest with view distance on about 4600. Solid framerate at high altitude in the chopper. I am running an i7 3770, Radeon 7970, 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on an SSD. Was just doing some performance tweaking, about to go give the gameplay a good ol' test now, but from the brief game I just had everything feels great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

alg posted:

is this English?

what do you seem to have trouble with, it reads fine.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

What can you do in the alpha right now? Is it just some tutorials and a couple of toys to play with or can you do actual missions in multiplayer?

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

ThePriceIsRight posted:

What can you do in the alpha right now? Is it just some tutorials and a couple of toys to play with or can you do actual missions in multiplayer?

You can do multiplayer, host servers and I see that some people already have custom deathmatch scenarios (I.E. Carnage like ArmA 2), there is also a level builder for making your own scenarios and a bunch of showcase missions to show you around the ropes. The multiplayer is probably going to take a while to jumble back into usability, all the servers have passwords and have a ping of around 2500, the few servers I've managed to connect to I've instantly CTD.

The graphics though, god they are so gorgeous. Also scuba is pretty wild.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Content is fairly light atm. There's 10 or so weapons and 3-4 vehicles per side. Singleplayer has 4 short missions focusing on infantry, diving, vehicles and helicopters.

Alpha comes with 2 coop missions, but people are already making more with the editor.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Its pretty basic right now just a few single player showcases and Multiplayer missions but there seems to be some way to edit missions as one of the servers i played on real quick before work was running a giant death derby.

By far the most stable alpha ive played.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 5, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
MP is working, unsure of the game modes.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Runs great on everything on high/ultra with FXAA on low on my AT 6970... Until I fly over water, then its a slide show. I'll tweak tomorrow and report back.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
tell us about the AI. Dual optics are nice and all, but thats what i really care about.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It looks like they have changed all the modules, and until there is any documentation I have no idea how to implement any of them!

Also has anybody found out how to pick up a backpack yet? If I spawn one in the editor it's on the ground, I can look in it but don't seem to be able to find a way to pick the drat thing up!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My guys seem to be be alright, Opfor range from Stormtrooper to Chris Kyle.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Renwick Customer posted:

It looks like they have changed all the modules, and until there is any documentation I have no idea how to implement any of them!

Also has anybody found out how to pick up a backpack yet? If I spawn one in the editor it's on the ground, I can look in it but don't seem to be able to find a way to pick the drat thing up!

Click and Drag it to your backpack slot :science:

sorry select ground instead of the backpack so your viewing it rather than whats inside it then you can drag it to your slot.
VVV

I picked a backpack off a dead medic but not just off the ground, however it showed up separate from the regular gear so i figured it might be the same if it was on the ground.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 5, 2013

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zasze posted:

Click and Drag it to your backpack slot :science:

Maybe I'm being a massive idiot, but if I open the backpack I can't see anything that say's its a backpack so there is nothing to drag?! This is from adding an empty one from the editor.

^^^^^
OK so I go up to the backpack and press I. I have options for ground and crate, neither have the backpack? What is this obviously simple thing I am missing?

EDIT: Oh you mean the actual gear option? That's not actually there for the backpack!

EDIT2: Selecting ground shows nothing. Is this something you can do yourself? I just can't find it!

FINAL EDIT: OK turns out that backpacks spawned directly from the empty section of the editor spawn as if they are on a person, not an item on the ground, so cannot be picked up at this point.

Renwick Customer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 5, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORtngmW93xg PSA Re: Grenades

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Zasze posted:

By far the most stable alpha ive played.

Seriously. If yesterday you told me BI will release a alpha that will run solid 60 fps and not crash while looking and controlling great I would have laughed at your face after playing arma 2 and dayz.

I am extremely impressed with how good the game looks and controls.

They need to port dayz to arma 3 asap.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

keyframe posted:

Seriously. If yesterday you told me BI will release a alpha that will run solid 60 fps and not crash while looking and controlling great I would have laughed at your face after playing arma 2 and dayz.

I am extremely impressed with how good the game looks and controls.

They need to port dayz to arma 3 asap.

People who comment on performance without claryfing

a)their specs
and
b)their graphical settings
and
c)the average FPS

should go to hell. :/

/looks around

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

nvidia gtx 560 ti
8gb ram
1920x1080
shadows low
everything else maxed with Vsync
solid 30+ fps

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Turin Turambar posted:

People who comment on performance without claryfing

a)their specs
and
b)their graphical settings
and
c)the average FPS

should go to hell. :/

/looks around

Heh sorry,

I am on a i7 920 (stock) , 6gb ram and gtx 470. Running everything on high except shadows and particles on standard on 1080p res.

I am not dipping below 40 so far.

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a good description of how to use the modules yet? The BIS wikia has nothing when I check, just some basic stuff on ArmA. I'm trying to get the dynamic spawn/patrol thing working because placing waypoints is tedious, and the UPSMON script doesn't port over.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Combatace posted:

Is there a good description of how to use the modules yet? The BIS wikia has nothing when I check, just some basic stuff on ArmA. I'm trying to get the dynamic spawn/patrol thing working because placing waypoints is tedious, and the UPSMON script doesn't port over.

I was looking in the function viewer for it, the spawner seems to do the actual spawning, and the patrol is simply used for waypoints. I think it will be a case of using triggers to call functions from the modules, but we'll have to wait for BIS to give us some information.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I got good enough fps with an ati 6800, but it is obvious that the game is optimized for nvidia card. Time to get a 660!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An interesting detail is that we now have control of not only the distance vision but the object distance vision and the shadow distance vision (just looking at the pc gamer video).

It would be nice if someone takes the bullet and make a detailed report of the FPS at different combinations. Like (going to a point with a good panorama)

1. Distance 2K, rest at default
2. Distance 4K, rest at default
3. Distance 4K, object 2.5K, shadows 300m
4. Distance 1.5K, object and shadow sliders at maximum

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Wow this game runs smooth, too smooth.. I just did the infantry showcase and dang its fun. The fire fights feel really good. Im so happy I can range in my M203 now it makes life so much easier. The guns and sounds are amazing. Im running about 40~ FPS on standard. I cant complain.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I was just snooping around the .PBO files and came across this:

code:
group player setGroupId ["Headhunter"];

"objOfficers" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
"objOfficer1" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
"objOfficer2" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
"objOfficer3" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
"objExfil" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;

/*player addEventHandler ["Respawn", {						// ---- Y U NO WORK?!
	if (count simpleTasks (_this select 0) == 0) then {
		"objOfficers" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
		"objOfficer1" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
		"objOfficer2" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
		"objOfficer3" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
		"objExfil" call BIS_fnc_missionTasks;
	}
}];	*/

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
distance makes a big difference, especially when there is a lot of detail like a city off in the distance.

I'm running at 2560x1440 with most stuff maxed (AA is 2x, and terrain detail is high or medium). I'm using a GTX670 and i5-2500k.
I find it's around 40 FPS for the most part, but if I leave the distance at around 3800 or 4000, I'll dip into the 25-30 fps region. I've decided to leave distance at around 2500 and it seems pretty consistent at 40 fps.

I'll have to try messing with the different distance options.

Ok, I did a few tests - the shadow distance option never made a difference for me, so I left it maxed (at 200) the entire time.

Overall + Object = FPS

5K + 5K = 20
4K + 4K = 20
3K + 3K = 22
2K + 2K = 33

5K + 2.5K = 26
4K + 2K = 36
3K + 1.5K = 41

So the overall distance (which is just terrain) makes a difference, but nowhere near as much as the object distance.

I've left it at 5K Overall, and 1.5K Object, and It's keeping around 38 FPS.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 5, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

keyframe posted:

Heh sorry,

I am on a i7 920 (stock) , 6gb ram and gtx 470. Running everything on high except shadows and particles on standard on 1080p res.

I am not dipping below 40 so far.

How does ArmA2 run for you? I'm curious since my specs are a bit less than yours and ArmA2 varies from decent performance to stutter laggy hell (with SSD too).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Single player seems to perform ok but multi player is pretty awful.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

GoldenNugget posted:

How does ArmA2 run for you? I'm curious since my specs are a bit less than yours and ArmA2 varies from decent performance to stutter laggy hell (with SSD too).

Arma 2 ran pretty lovely on my comp. It was never smooth like arma 3 regardless of what I changed the settings to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
Stock i5 3570
Geforce 9800GTX+(5 year old)
lovely 5 year old(Maybe more) HDD.
Runs better than arma 2.