Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Old Arma player, here.

I just entered in the mp browser, because I wanted to check the new improved mp performance I read about in the official forums. And it runs nice, yeah.

But how the hell is now the "life rpg" missions dominating the public servers? These missions existed in Arma 1 and 2, but they were always a small corner of the community, now somehow they have dominated the scene. Imagine a new player entering for the first time, he will think that's the normal Arma gameplay in mp!

I'd imagine it has something to do with all the people who got into Arma because of DayZ. There's got to be some relationship between the two. I haven't tried one of those RP servers for Arma 3 yet but maybe they're significantly better than they were in previous games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Prepare for disappointment and anger at the game developers/designers robbing you of a full experience. If Steam weren't so stubborn on getting refunds, I'd demand one for this game.

Sounds like your expectations for this game are pretty sideways. I feel like if you did any research at all on this purchase it would have been glaringly obvious that this game isn't your average FPS with an enthralling story and 8 multiplayer maps. It's definitely not for everyone but what the heck were you expecting?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Warning: incoming rant ahead!

I am getting increasingly frustrated and hateful toward this game. Normally I'll get 30~35 fps, which is fine.

But everything in this game takes 10x as long as it should simply because of random frame drops and game stuttering. It completely breaks any immersion I am trying to have with this game (and I want to feel the immersion but the loving game won't let me!).

I cannot even do it enough justice to convey how frustrating and angry it makes me when I'm trying to shoot someone only to have the game freeze for 10 seconds (I'm not exaggerating the length of time here), after which I find that I'm dead.

Or, when I'm trying to land on the runway after a bombing run only to freeze right on top of the runway and rubber band back and forth into the ground, destroying my plane.

There are so many situations where this makes me want to throw my keyboard against the wall and the more I play this game the more angry it makes me.

When I google information about this, I see post after post saying "yeah arma has always been really badly optimized and the developers never do anything about it ever." How the gently caress are these people going to release a terrible loving Win campaign that doesn't explain poo poo and has less than a third of the content from all their other campaigns, say that the story is resolved, and then make this Zeus bullshit when I'm sitting here ready to punch a hole in my monitor because the game freezes every 5 meters that I run?

It's not that my computer is old or that my drivers are out of date. It's the loving game that's the problem!

I overlooked this stuff early on when I got into the game because I was having fun learning stuff... but when you know how things are supposed to run, every little unnecessary interruption becomes increasingly frustrating.

I feel like every game I've played or gotten really into for the past 5 years has always been like this. The only exceptions are DotA and Counterstrike, both of which have only lead to me having to quit them for other, unrelated reasons.

I don't understand how it's possible that I could be fooled into paying $60 usd for a loving terrible game like this.

I feel like every game I try to get into is a loving rip off because of poo poo like this. It's loving ridiculous that a $60 usd game can run so loving terribly.

If anyone needs me, I'll be detoxing in BYOB.

Sounds like your computer, in particular your HDD. The game does have some chop for most rigs, but 10 seconds is never the case unless you're exadurating. It probably won't matter though cause it seems like you're on an endless crusade to hate this game, though you still play it.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I just got done playin a few A2 missions with the UO community and am pretty convinced it's not for me. The elitism, nerdiness, and pace od everything that they do is too extreme. I watched a grown man number every building on an island for fifteen minutes during a thirty minute briefing and when I asked why he said it was for combat readiness. I took a screenshots as proof.

Does anyone know of any other sizable communities around that play at a level of how the goons used to? Kind of serious bit not to the point of spending three hours on missions and blowing a gasket when someone doesn't pretend to military talk over radios?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Why isn't anyone playing Breaking Point with me right now? I need to walk around houses looking for loot all day.

**edit

http://www.twitch.tv/jorbob - nature hike live stream

Uncle Spriggly fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 8, 2014

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone looking to Zeus or wasteland today? I need my hiking simulator fix.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I need wasteland goon companions. Epoch and other modes are a bit much for me these days. Anyone interested?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'm guessing it will be Libyan desert-esque themed. Deserts are just easier, ya know?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Do these changes eventually trickle down to A3?

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

Sounds like fun.

I don't mind grabbing a few important mods like Shacktac's UI, CBA and the like (or updating the versions I already have installed), I'm just boned because of download speeds making it unfeasible to grab larger mod packs without planning ahead and doing it during times I know I won't be online.

My sentiment also.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Most Arma communities I've been around get pretty toxic if you don't play by their rules. I also feel like it's always a matter of time before that toxicity bubbles over and splinters the group.

There's always one really obnoxious guy that everyone else finds funny, kind of like the village idiot, who gets a hall pass. He's the guy who crashed the chopper and everyone laughs, then you do it and you're instantly chewed out by some manchild.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'll stop by and check it out. I haven't tried Warlord but it seems like a cool mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just played again and it's still v14. New spawn truck and everything.

Also driving the spawn truck to the AO somehow broke my game. My guy is now permanently aiming up and slowly spinning around when I'm not touching the mouse of kb at all. Permanently locked in. Nothing I can do about it. Reset control to default, didn't help. Restarted the game. Still broke. Cool.

Had the same thing happen once and discovered my game pad, that I wasn't using, was upside down under my desk.