Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Kickstarter link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam
Tales of Game's link: www.talesofgames.com
Barkley 1 Mac port link: http://www.talesofgames.com/related_game/barkley-shut-up-jam-gaiden/

Mystical greetings fellow Goons and She-Goons,

I am Eric "cboyardee" Shumaker, one of the lead idiots behind Tales of Game's Studios, an independent vidcon developer whose members have worked on games like Station 37, Sewer Goblet, the winner of the 2011 SA Gamedev contest Mountain of Debt (hi svampson) and of course, the 2008 edutainment tour de force Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. We are really excited to announce that we are working on a sequel to Barkley Gaiden called The Magical Realm of Tir na Nog - Escape From Necron 7: Revenge of Cuchulainn - The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and we've just launched a Kickstarter for it. We want to make this game something that's not only funnier, but more fun than the original. But what IS Barkley 2? Take my hand and come with me on an edutaining journey...

Barkley 2 is the direct sequel to Barkley 1 and picks up where the original story left off. It tells the tale of X114JAM9, an amnesiac baller searching for his identity amidst the Post-Cyberpocalyptic ruins of Necron 7, the ancient space ziggurat ruled by the Malevolent A.I. Cuchulainn, sworn enemy to all ballers. Forced into fugitivity, X114JAM9 sets off in search of the Cyberdwarf, an enigmatic slam scholar and the only one capable of revealing the truth behind his mysterious past and brilliant b-ball destiny.

We want to do a lot more than just make a funny game with Barkley 2 - we want it to be fun as well. Barkley 2 maintains the same humor, tone and fierce devotion to canon of the first game but gives the player greater choice in the story. It is a non-linear, open ended game that focuses on exploration, discovering secrets and getting lost in the crazy Post-Cyberpocalyptic world. It combines a lot of the ideas of Eastern RPGS, like focus on narrative and characters, with Western RPGs, like making choices within the story, long-term consequences and non-linearity. We want to do a lot of new things with this game and it's pretty safe to say that it's very experimental. Here are just a few things the game features -

Things Change Over Time - People, places and quests change over time; the things you experience might be completely different from what your friends experience because you did them at different times. The official Big Idea behind Barkley 2 is that everyone will have a different game - things changing over time is the backbone of this idea.

Large, Open World - The Necron 7 is a large, open environment with dozens of areas to explore. There are things to find in every corner and secrets everywhere - this is a game all about exploration.

Fast-paced Action RPG Combat - Barkley 2 has mouse-aimed shooting gameplay that takes inspiration from action games like Crimsonland and Soldat, but also RPGs like Dark Souls and Gothic. Stats, classes and an incredibly deep character creation system give you complete control over your character; we want to make Barkley 2 a game that is not only funny, but fun to play.

Randomized Gun's System - Gun's are randomized through a complex system similar to Diablo's or Borderland's, offering millions of possibilities. Shotgun's that shoot ooze, machine gun rocket launchers and gravity rifles are just the tip of the iceberg of our gun's system. Even more than this, you can fuse gun's together in a system similar to demon fusing from the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. The weapon combinations are nearly unlimited.

DwarfNET - Connect with fellow dwarfs and dwarf enthusiasts on the in-game DwarfNET message board. Jack your cranial USB into the data matrix and search for clues or chat with tech-savvy dwarfs about vidcons, layups and the latest jock news through the amazing power of bio-cybernetic technology.

Lastly, I cannot emphasize enough Tales of Game's commitment to edutainment. Part of the reason it's taken us so long to announce Barkley 2 is that we've been busy honing our edutainment abilities - we would not be able to make the game we are making now four years ago. Our goal is for Tales of Game's to become the pillar of the edutainment industry and dethrone MECC (creator of Oregon Trail (which Barkley 2 utterly destroys)) as the king of edutainment. If you walk away from Barkley 2 without having been edutained, we will have failed in our role as edutainers.

We are also super excited to announce that for the first time ever, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is playable on the Mac. The Mac port was made by Leon Arnott and he did an amazing job with it. Barkley 1 is completely free and will always be free so please check it out if you haven't played it.

All spoofs, goofs and gaffs aside, it really means a lot to us that you read all this malarkey. Thank you all for having faith in Tales of Game's. I really think we have something remarkable on our hands and I'm glad you want to share it with us, so thank you. We're offering some really good (also some extremely bad) rewards for anyone who is able to contribute. My personal favorite reward is the $100 Cyberdwarf Body Pillow, although I'm also really excited to man the $150 Tales of Game's Tip Line when the game is out too. Take a look at the rewards section on our Kickstarter for more info!

Seriously, thank you all for helping to make this game happen. We've been wanting to make it for years - since before the original Barkley even came out - and the fact that we finally have the means to do this is amazing. I know this has been said a million times on a million different Kickstarters before, but we would not be able to make this without you, so thank you!!!!!!!!!! I know quite a few of us are Proud, Patriotic Goon's and we're all happy to answer any questions you may have!!

Screenshots

FAQ -

How are you guys selling this game if it breaks so many copyrights?
We are being incredibly careful about copyrights - we've talked to lawyers and have been given the okay. Everything we're doing is completely legal; we're not using ripped art and assets this time around and you'll notice we've been very careful about throwing around Charles Barkley's name!!

What engine is Barkley 2 being made in?
Barkley 2 is being made in Game Maker, the same engine the original was made in. We have been discussing the possibility of importing saves from the original Barkley, which would be possible in GM. . .

When will the game be released?
The current estimate is late 2013 or early 2014. We've done a lot of good work so far but we've got a long way to go!

Why is Barkley 2 a commercial game when the original was free?
We made the original Barkley when we were (wise and powerful) youngsters with few responsibilities or expenses. Unfortunately, we have been thrust into the cruel world of adults, where we have expenses, bills, school payments and other stupid BS the man does to keep us down. Ideally, Barkley 2 would be a free game just like the original, but unfortunately we just can't do that. That's a big part of the reason why it's taken us so long to work on this, because we just did not have the capital means to make it!

Why are you making Barkley 2 an Action RPG instead of a turn-based JRPG?
There are a lot of reasons! First is that this is the game we want to make and it's been our intention to make Barkley 2 an action RPG since before the original Barkley was even out. We have a lot of really great ideas to make this a game that is as fun as it is funny, which wasn't really the case with the original. Lastly, turn-based RPGs where you only control one character generally aren't very fun!

Is this a game for TREND, CORPORATE ATTITUDE and STONER?
No, this is not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEADS.

will there be joke's ?
NO.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Davincie posted:

I don't know if a game with a poo poo thread tag can be good mate.

Yeah, I didn't mean to post it with the poo poo thread tag, it was an accident!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

GirlBones posted:

I'm going to donate to a kickstarter for the first time ever, Chef. Glad to see someone from the old GW is still doin' it.

If only Legion could be here... to see... this...

R.I.P. killed by a deadman's semen

Holy poo poo. What a blast from the past. . .

There was this guy named Brickroad, one of those hyper serious RPG Maker dudes like Legion, who said a really great quote about Barkley 1 once. It is one of my all-time favorite quotes -

"This game makes me almost unimaginably angry and sad, but not at all for reasons related to the game itself (which I have not, and will never play)."

Brickroad, I hope wherever you are, you have cheered up a little.

Unguided posted:

Few questions: have you considered releasing a cheaper digital download tier for the artbook? Will the $40 tier also include the old Troubadours songs like Pluto Nash and GOPE? Will Wikipe-tan be a romance option?

It will include a lot of stuff that was not actually in games, like that Rugrat song I did that was taken down by Youtube and the Dilbert song, as well as maybe some stuff that didn't make it into games. I haven't counted it, but it's well over 100 songs. That said, they're all poo poo.

Cicero posted:

I'm kind of confused as to why you didn't put the FAQ in the OP into the kickstarter.

Kickstarter has a really weird interface and someone actually HAS TO ASK YOU THOSE QUESTIONS before you can put them there.

I am just completely overwhelmed guys, I cannot believe how quickly this is going. I don't want to speak too soon, this has been a tremendous start, but I honestly thought we would be struggling the whole way and that we'd end on day 1 with $1000 or something. I just can't believe this. Thank you all. This game will be really weird and crazy and funny and who knows what else, but it's finally going to exist and I really have to thank all of you for this!!!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Heti posted:

Is there any way to download the kickstarter video?

I'm not sure, but the video kind of messed up while processing so we actually have to reupload it.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

HenryEx posted:

Are you planning / aiming / getting bugged to get this game on Steam or the likes?

I have no idea what the process is (beyond Greenlight), or if Barkley 2 meets their standard of quality, or any of that. It is something I would very much like to try, but right now it is too far ahead and too big for me to even wrap my head around.

This is nuts guys, I cannot believe how quickly things are moving. I really, really want to thank everyone. Also, I know at least one other person working on this has an SA account, Frankiesmileshow, so he may pop in eventually.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

RoboCicero posted:

Someone has already pledged the 1,000 dollar goal. God bless you guys.
This was a joke, we never imagined anyone would take this reward.

But they did.

Unbelievable.

Cicero posted:

Any chance of an add-on system like Project Eternity where you can pledge an extra $10 for another copy?

How exactly does this work? I'm not familiar with it but it sounds reasonable and I will talk to everyone about it.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

If someone is actually crazy enough to put down $10,000, will you actually just send them your pictures or will you try and give them something nicer? :allears:

Hahaha, well we don't actually expect anyone to do this, but we also didn't expect this to be at like $10k in 2 hours, so who knows. If someone is crazy and generous enough to do this, we will do something awesome like get them a custom basketball made by Spalding with Hoopz's face on it and all our signatures or something.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Guys, I cannot believe how quickly we reached our goal. I am just

man

Thank you everybody. This really means a lot to me and I am just so happy that Barkley 2 can finally happen. I really want to thank all of you. This is amazing to me and I really, really appreciate all of your generosity and enthusiasm. This blows me away!!! AAAAAAAAAA

We will be updating soon with stretch goals (we don't have many planned out because we thought this would take the whole month), a Paypal link and more news. I can tell you that our first stretch goal is a Mac port. Also, we did not ask for enough money to work on this full-time, we asked for enough to work full-time for a few months. The more money we get, the longer can work full-time on the game, which means it will be bigger and better and more fully realized.

I can't thank you all enough. I just

WOW!!!!! AAAAA

Thank you!

Thauros posted:

You guys have my money regardless, but is this a single character or multi-character game?

The FAQ says single character but this pic shows what looks like a standard JRPG style party screen.

Hahaha

This game has a lot of surprises in store. I don't want to reveal too much too soon, but you do create your party. None of those are real characters in the game, those are characters that were created.

jvempire posted:

From what I've seen from the kickstarter video, the combat looks legitimately fun. The quest system sounds interesting as well, though I have some difficulty in picturing how it will work. If people/places/quests change over time, what does that really mean? Like Majoras Mask style?

Well, it means a lot of things. First, the content, events and quests available to you open and close as time progresses. An event or quest that's only available early in the game will just disappear, and if you miss it, it's gone for good. Quests and events often lead to even more content, so if you do a quest, it will very likely change something else in the world. The example we gave in the RPG Codex interview is that eventually a town gets destroyed if you don't intercede. This is a really dramatic example, but there are lots and lots of smaller (and even bigger) things that happen with the time system.

The reason we're doing this is because we want everyone's game to be different. We want someone to have a game that is not at all like their friend's game because they went off in one direction and one time and their friend went off in another direction at another time. We want there to be dozens, hundreds of things that very few people, who just happened to be in the right place at the right time, see and experience.

This is the #1 thing we want to do with Barkley. It's like the backbone of the game.

Beardless Riker posted:

I'm interested in this game, but I am a stoner. I'm not sure if this is the game for me?
If you work hard, drop the corporate attitude, drop the trends and stone infrequently, you too can become a TRUE DOOM-MURDERHEAD.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Finally.
The return of the post-B-Ball-apocalyptic Neo-dystopia.

Also the original Barkley did something no other RPG in existence has ever done before:

IT MADE A SEWER DUNGEON FUN.

Ahaha

We're actually working on a sewer dungeon right now and I can promise it is a lot more fun than the one in the original Barkley. We've learned a lot about game design since we made the original Barkley and one of the most important things has been that the best dungeons don't actually feel like dungeons. In fact, I think "dungeons" as a designated area where you FIGHT ENEMIES and DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE is awful and outdated and there will be none of that in this game. The games with the best dungeons, in my opinion, are Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Realms of Arkania: Star Trail, Stonekeep and Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, where there are actual fun things to do in each of them. We're drawing a lot from their area design.

Jibo posted:

These last few weeks have been all about resisting temptation to buy myself stuff in favor of getting Christmas presents. Now I say gently caress that and buy myself the best thing.

PS: Open up more $300 ones so I can have someone get it for me for Christmas.
Yeah, I think this is what we're going to be doing, as well as some new ones.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

RandomFerret posted:

poo poo, I'd drop a hundo right now for the possibility of a BSUaJ:G android rerelease.

It's funny you say that because a dude has been working on this independently and sent me a build a few days ago. This isn't something I can make any promises on, because I personally am not working on it and didn't solicit it (he volunteered himself to do this) but if it actually does come out, we will absolutely include it on our site. I don't really know how Android works, but it would definitely have to be free.

Convex posted:

I know there are a lot of people that want to see this on Steam, but please could you also do some form of DRM-free release?
A lot of people assume we're putting this on Steam, but that is so far ahead of us that we can't promise anything. No, we will not include DRM in this game and we will try to get this on as many distribution sites like Desura, GoG.com and Steam as possible. But right now, that's so far into the future that it's just sort of beyond us.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 29, 2012

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Cicero posted:

So is Game Maker actually a good tool for this kind of game? Or is it more that you guys are already familiar with it?

Both! Game Maker is a great engine. Games like Spelunky, Hotline Miami and (I'm pretty sure) Aquaria were all made in it, so it's kind of a stereotype that it's used exclusively by hacks. It's just a coincidence that we're hacks and we're using GM, it doesn't reflect on the engine itself.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Zerilan posted:

Is Hundley still one of the guys on the writing team for this?

Hahaha, yes! He wasn't a writer on the first Barkley but he was a character. He has done some really good writing for Barkley 2, way better than my own, and we are super happy to have him.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Technique posted:

So i'm thinking of bumping up my donation to get all of those sweet soundtracks (Station 37 soundtrack? Hell yes. gently caress yes.), but i need to know: are they all properly tagged? I literally start screaming if i open a folder and just see "track 01" and poo poo like that.

Well here is a picture of my old music folder -

Generally I just mash random buttons on the keyboard. Sometimes I roll my face against the keyboard. I have thousands of songs with names like fhaoierhtoi. It's a really bad system and I don't know what's what.

But yeah, all the songs in the soundtrack pack are properly labeled, even if their names are hgbefrhi. PS - the best soundtrack in there is for a game that's not released yet, Non Human, which I made with the soundchip used in old arcade machines and X68000s. Definitely the best lovely vidcon music I've written.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Lamhirh posted:

Definitely going to chip in within the next few days.

Don't know if this is the right place to say this, but when downloading the latest version of the original game off of your website, I get no music. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. 1.09 works fine. game_errors.log repeats this over and over again:

This has to do with supersound.dll. It is very stupid and happens very, very infrequently but it's fixed by restarting your computer. I am sorry!!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Sounds like it might be Exile for the Genesis/Turbo-CD? Never played it but it's full of weird poo poo like that

Hey, sorry, I missed this post but yes, it's Exile. It is one of the most insane games I've ever played, but also one of my favorites. The HG101 article doesn't even begin to cover how insane this game is.

Node posted:

When will you awesome dudes be sending out instructions on what kind of pictures you want for our neckbeard-laden in-game portraits, if you pledged $300? Any idea? I don't have many props I could use. I have a silly looking fly fishing hat though.

Slam with the best, or jam with the rest.
Probably a week or so after the Kickstarter. I think it has tools for contacting people based on their pledge level and we'll be using that. We're also adding a few more reward tiers similar to that, like having your username and avatar in DwarfNET and designing a unique enemy you'll only encounter once (so it will be really unique and memorable).

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 29, 2012

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The projection for this project is pretty awesome.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/

I hope solid gold basketball shaped cartridges as a reward will be in order. Seriously though you guys deserve it since the first one was free.
Hmmm, according to internal projections we will make enough money to buy Moldova, which happens to be a stretch goal.

helopticor posted:

That's peanuts. If they don't double that in the first 24 hours I'll buy myself some dumb custom title or something.

Well, I was wrong and Shalinor was right. It did make $40k easy (in the first 24 hours), but it did not make $70k as I dumbly claimed. So I guess Shalinor owes me a custom title, and I owe Chef Boyardee&co. (Tales of Game's) some money.

Now on the one hand, I could increase my pledge by a bit, but I think it might help them out more if I instead bought another copy of that ad for this month. Thoughts?
[/quote]If I had to choose, I'd say go with the banner. Either way, I want to thank you and everyone else at SA for the ridiculous generosity you've shown the project. I just cannot believe how much everyone here has contributed.

This doesn't even represent all that people here have given, just what people who have clicked on the link via this topic have given. It is crazy and I just cannot thank you all enough.

We're going to be posting stretch goals tomorrow, as well as a few additions to the pledge rewards. We've got a few pretty good things in store, so hopefully it helps to maintain interest in the project.

Seriously, thank you everybody!!!!!!!!!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
91 people are getting Cyberdwarf body pillows so far.

91 people.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

SpaceDrake posted:

You have no idea how to get that many printed, do you :v:

You are probably going to end up having a bigger print run of that thing than a number of unironic dakis in Japan, you realize

Hahaha, it's not that. I am just astounded that there are 91 people who thought it was a good idea. We're actually getting one today, hopefully it looks completely ridiculous.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Decline posted:

Is anyone else having trouble playing the original? I get the same error for both versions - it seems to sit at at the "Warning: The game you are about to play is canon." loading screen for ages. I've left it running for a half hour or so and nothing happens.

I've tried this in OSX 10.8.2 and WIndows 7 (running on Parallels), One interesting note: I get encryption errors trying to extract the Windows version of the game.

This is a strange error and it could be a number of things. First, try restarting your computer. There is a known but fairly infrequent error that has to do with supersound.dll. It goes away if you restart your computer and we have no idea why it happens.

A guy emailed me yesterday with this exact same problem and it was because he wasn't hitting the right keys. I'm assuming this isn't your problem, but just in case, the confirmation button is Z.

This may be something entirely new and if neither of these things work, I can contact Leon and let him know about it.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Kleptobot posted:

Put me down for $15. I can't wait to see what my hint is!

This hint's on the house... Believe in yourself.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Ryanbomber posted:

The Kickstarter reminded me that I never actually got around to playing the first game, but I'm having trouble with getting the music to work. I'm running the latest version (1.10) on Windows 7. Anyone know anything about this?

This is because of supersound.dll and it's a pretty rare problem, but it's fixed by restarting your computer. We have no idea why this happens.

YourAverageJoe posted:

I'm having trouble with the first Barkley on Windows 8. I reach the cutscene where [spoiler]the janitor causes a chaos dunk[/url] but within a second of the effect starting, the game just crashes. Is there any way to get around this?
Wait, what? Janitor causes a chaos dunk? I'm not sure which part you're talking about. Is this in the beginning or the end of the game?

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
OH. We'll investigate this, we've never heard of this crash before but it is possible to skip cutscenes by pressing the cancel button a few times. I'd recommend that for now.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Hey, what do you all think about the idea of a console port, either Vita or 360? Is this something that you'd be interested in? This is an option that's available to us but I'm not sure if it's something people would actually want. It would be done externally and is about five times more expensive to port the game to a console than it is to the Mac, which is why I'm kind of apprehensive and checking to see if this is something people would like.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
I talked to the guy who would be able to do the XBox/Vita/whatever ports and I doubt they'll be happening, but we will be making the game with controller compatibility. I do know that one of the programmers plugged in a bunch of USB controllers and they all seemed to work okay. It's obviously too early to say controllers are working fine or give any specifics, but it is something we'd like the game to have and will actively work toward.

On the topic of porting, though, we're looking into Linux porting and apparently it's a lot easier to do than console ports. This is something we've received quite a few emails about (more than console ports at least), so I think there's at least some market for it.

Super pumped about Nightmare City by the way. A really big hub city is something we really, really wanted from the very beginning but just didn't think we'd have the time and manpower for. I hope we make this goal so we can saturate the game with even more dumb and repugnant content.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Lurdiak posted:

Is there somewhere that we can view the total paypal donations so far? I know they don't count for the Kickstarter stretch goals, but I'm curious to see what the "real" total is at this point.
No, they do count toward the stretch goals! I don't have the total in front of me right now because Billy, the producer guy, runs it and not me, but it's something very low like a couple hundred. It's really not there to rake in cash or anything, it's so people who don't have Amazon-compliant cards can pledge. I'll get the number to you soon, but it's pretty low!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

avoraciopoctules posted:

Barkley 1 was great. I decided to go for the game pack, since I am curious what ToG style will do to other genres. My friends and I probably got at least $60 worth of entertainment out of the first game, so I don't think I'll have any regrets.

This is probably not how you want to spend your Saturday night, but Frankie, our artist and a dude I've worked on a billion games with, told me that he's going to be streaming some of the ToG game pack stuff tonight. I'll post again when he starts, but you can subscribe to him to get notifications when he starts too.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
So yeah, Frankie's streaming right now. He's polishing up one of the games in the ToG game pack, so it's not super interesting Barkley 2 stuff but it's always pretty fascinating to watch him work. He also picks the weirdest times to stream, he's probably going to be on until like 4:00 AM. Tune in if you're interested!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Is there an ETA for the vidcon pack? Also, which GZStorm games will be on it?

Edit: Also, is there an ETA for the patch to Barkley 1 you mentioned on Twitter?

The vidcon pack is going to come out pretty soon after the Kickstarter is over. We're working on a launcher for it now and it's looking pretty polished. The only thing that might hold it back is that we keep adding games to it, but expect it very soon after the Kickstarter is done.

Also, the patch that I think you're talking about (the changes to the Mac version) has already been applied.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Logiwonk posted:

If we raise more money by kickstarter is there a possibility of you hiring more people and getting the game out sooner? Because I think everyone is dying to play this game asap.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing we'd really like to do with the money. Rather than release it sooner though, I think we'd release it at the same time but with more content and with systems tighter and better fleshed out. This isn't exciting or flashy like stretch goals are supposed to be, but it does mean that the game will be better in every regard.

I'm giving some pants a test drive right now, but I'm not happy about it.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Reposted because it was at the end of the last page. I'd like to know this too, even though I gave enough for it.

Hey, this is probably not going to be the case. I think everything available during this Kickstarter (other than the game) is only going to be available for now.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
The problem is that a lot of them are games that we contributed to but aren't officially ToG, like a lot of the GZStorm games. First, they don't belong to us. We have permission to include them in the ToG pack (and we keep getting permission to include more games we worked on, so we're constantly adding to it) but they aren't our property. The second is that some of these games (like Sewer Goblet) break copyrights and we can't sell them.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

gently caress yes.

Cboy, I hope you comedically encounter and befriend an eccentric billionaire somewhere who decides to give you literally 1.2 million human dollars.

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/273915467125624832

Tell all your blood diamond tycoon friends about about Barkley 2 today!

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Will the monthy updates that people who give $40 and up via Paypal will recieve be the same as the likely backer-only updates on Kickstarter?

No. We want the email updates to actually be pretty personal and fun to read, so you get as much a sense of the people making the game as you do the game itself. I bet they all say that, but what this literally means is that we're actually going to talk about weird Youtube videos we like and why we think Realms of Arkania and Shin Mengami Tensei: Nocturne are really good and weird rear end nude rom hacks we made a long time ago. Also the game. But nude rom hacks too.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Oh, it's not on the reward panel on the right, but it's in the reward description in the actual Kickstarter text - "In addition to the kickin' tunez, you'll also get VIP access to exclusive behind the scenes updates and content by the ToGsters detailing the progress we've made, what we're working on, what we want to do with the game and anything else we can think of! We want the update to be informal and personal - a letter from us to you, not a dry, boring progress report."

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Yes.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
You overestimate my dermal elasticity.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Forget Space Jam and get this in the game, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gpe4JNDWgA&t=89s

holy poo poo

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

O__O posted:

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of fans of Homestuck, Aerosmith, Armageddon and Barkley.

I think it will be fine. If we aren't able to license the Space Jam song, contacting the Quad City DJs is one of the options we've considered.

Little Blue Couch posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with the first game slowing way the gently caress down during certain effects? Like the battle transitions run really slow, and Balthios's fire zauber is so slow as to be unusable. The final cinematic slowed down every time lightning struck.

This is really strange, but it sounds like a RAM problem. Game Maker isn't a very CPU-intensive engine, but it can have some slowdown on older systems. Are you playing the Mac or the PC version?

Jibo posted:

I wonder if we could convince Charles Barkley to LP Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden for charity. It would probably be the first LP worth watching.

I am sure that Charles Barkley is not only capable of performing a Barkley Gaiden let's play, but watches them all the time and is intimately familiar with the format.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

memomi posted:

Will the game still have boss battles?

Hell yeah.

Also Node, what is your avatar? I saw a picture of that guy today at a rest stop in Breezewood, PA. A woman was whispering in his ear and he had his mouth wide open. It was definitely the same guy.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Chef Boyardee, have you taken the 10 or 11 percent or so of the raised money that Kickstart and Amazon will keep into account?

Also, how much have you recieved via Kickstarter?

Yeah! Kickstarter takes 5% and I think Amazon takes 5%. There are also credit card fees, which account for maybe 3%, and we have to pay fees to get the physical items made and shipped. Then we have to pay taxes. These are all things we've accounted for, but they still suck.

We've made about $1000 on Paypal.

jawbroken posted:

It's a stock photo man that you can see more of in the "some similar pictures" section here.

Edit: You probably saw one of these.

Yeah, that was it!

This is a really weird problem that has to do with how Game Maker handles external .dlls in Windows 7. It's pretty rare, but it happens with all GM games and nobody can really seem to find out why it happens, but it goes away if you restart your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Well, like half of us have gotten violently ill and are basically incapacitated so we can't do much of anything right now. I wanted to post an update yesterday but I was too busy barfing, so that's part of it. But the other thing is that I just don't feel comfortable milking this for every last dime. It's why we've only posted 4 updates, because we don't want to saturate your inboxes, and why I think we've been comparatively low key. It would be cool if journalists wanted to post it of their own volition, but we don't want to pimp the game out.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You'd be surprised.
Also, in response to madeupfred's post, yeah, it probably will. We're going to have to spend a lot of time on the controls because right now they're really bad and it feels like playing a roguelike, but in the end you will be able to change keys.

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 23, 2012