Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Died at level 14 after rerolling to Brandywine :(

Undying seems super easy to get as long as I don't play a champion, I just like to AoE things too much I guess.

Also, is the Rohan legendary edition the only way to get that 6th inventory bag?

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Cool thanks. I went with a 3 month subscription yesterday since it was only $29 or so. How does it work with receiving my points for my subscription? I thought maybe it would add them all instantly but nothing was added to my wallet.

And literally right after posting that 500 points were added to my balance, weird.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm level 19 on my champion and I am now just finishing up Ered Luin, haven't even touched anything in Bree yet. I just got hit with that auto-quest pop up thing to go to the Lone-Lands, should I just skip Bree? I hate skipping things, especially with deeds to be done and all that. I think the reason I've gotten so high in Ered Luin is because of the 25% xp pocket item and because I've mastered apprentice prospecting and weaponsmithing.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Yeah that's a good point, knowing myself I'd probably get bored and burn out a little bit if I went and did Bree right now, I'm already doing mostly green and even some grey quests in Ered Luin as it is. The big thing I hate is how once you get to higher level zones, the kill deeds jump to "Kill 96428 [orcs/goblins/hendraval/whatever] and I can never bring myself to do any of them, except maybe orcs or whatever is really popular in that zone.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
So gently caress those deeds then, I will just quest and craft to my heart's content. Thanks for the encouraging words.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I used to worry about the whole idea of a class being overplayed and would shy away from something like champion. This time I said gently caress it and made a Dwarf champion, something I had always wanted to play in this game yet never did for some reason (Dwarves are always my favorite).

Champion is some awesome fun, being a Dwarf makes it doubly so. Seriously, play what you want and don't worry about how popular a class may be in the game. If you have half a brain you are already better than most of the people playing (not to knock them too much, the community is generally very nice and helpful, but they just sort of suck at playing vidya games).

Is it worth buying those stat tomes? Are they obtainable any other way or should I drop some points on them>

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
So if I want to take advantage of the cheap Rohan edition on Steam I would need to first download LOTRO from Steam? I currently just play through the same old launcher I've used forever.

Actually, now that I've looked it's no different than buying it from the Turbine store in terms of price.

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2012

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I always end up having such little space in my bags because I lock everything that I can sell on the AH and then just never think to stop off and actually sell them until weeks later, then I get to cash in big which is nice.

I'm hitting a lull in the Lone-Lands again, this place always loving gets me. It's brown, loving brown everywhere.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm kind of upset that I made my Dwarf on Brandywine. I made him right before the current goon-rush (if you can call it that) started because I didn't want to be on a quiet server. I know I could just re-roll but I've spent a lot of time on his crafting and he's 25ish already and well I just love him ok?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

SeaTard posted:

If you're having fun, don't worry about what is best, play with what you enjoy. My Guardian is a Hobbit, because even though in raw numbers terms it is slightly worse than a Human Guardian, I like the way they look, and being able to flop on the floor while main tanking a raid causes me great amusement.

I have this problem where I want to make a Hobbit everything, then occasionally I watch Return of the King and the Rohirrim charge at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields makes me want to be a Man everything.

Luckily right now I am a Dwarf so I can avoid all of that, especially once the Hobbit is out on DVD. I'm kind of a Dwarf slut.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
At exactly what level can I start questing in Evendim?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
That works for me, currently I'm a 28 champion and I just got to the Ost Guruth part of the Lone-Lands. The brown environment really was killing me, thankfully they have those ruins between the Forsaken Inn and Ost Guruth with the Orcs and Dwarves inside to break it up, I enjoyed it in there. I like their sub-world dungeons in this game, actually.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Oh yeah I'm right there with you. The only thing for me is that I have one character who is around 53, and I've gone through a ton that get into their mid to late 20s but cease to exist specifically because of the Lone-Lands. There's just something awful about it.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I hate to keep harping on the Lone-Lands lately, but now that I am a ways into Ost Guruth it's much better. I think the worst part for me is the initial Forsaken Inn quests which are more or less identical to the way they were before they revamped the zone, save for a few exceptions. Once I get past that hump and into Ost Guruth it becomes much more tolerable and I really don't mind it all.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Is there much of a difference when it comes down to dual-wielding vs using a two-handed weapon on a champion? I just took the two-handed hammer from my level 30 quest and I really love the change in style right now, it feels so right for a Dwarf to be doing that. Are they pretty much even or is one vastly superior?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Horn of Gondor is such an awesome skill, it's greatly improved my champion's rear end-kickery. What's the best champion trait-line to focus on while leveling? Right now I only have 4 class trait slots and I'm using 2 red and 2 yellow because of what I have unlocked, but I'm liking the look of the yellow line because I love to AoE groups down.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I joined glff on Brandywine to try to find groups from time to time. Holy gently caress is the chat in that channel inane and horrendous for the most part. I guess I'm the rear end in a top hat for not expecting that, it is an MMO after all.

I also like how I can usually guess correctly when someone is an elf just based off of their name alone.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I started over on a new server and have around 40 gold at level 38, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I basically hold onto every one of those scholar crafting things and sell those but I actually make a decent chunk of money from leveling weaponsmithing. I sell off the items that I crit on and do pretty well there. There's a decent market for low level purple weapons.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Are you able to start the epic line for your first legendary at 45?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Awesome, less than half of a level to go then.

In the spirit of helping those with less of a clue, I was recently informed that using clobber on my champion will cut the animation on brutal strikes and it seems to definitely be a dps increase against single target. Are there any other neat tricks like this that I should know about?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Makes me wish my Dwarf was on Silverlode, I aspire to look as berserkingly awesome as Krothicus one day.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

Zvim posted:

Which reps are you short on? I take it the evendim rep isn't one of them. :P I think I burnt most of my rep items because I didn't have the storage capacity to hold on to them.

I have been playing around with my Lore-Master, i had a 50ish one on a different server where I originally started on and was messing around with it testing out the beasty tree, it is a lot of fun.

Does it get better? I started a few new characters, LM being one of them, and it was definitely the least fun right off the bat. I am loving captain too much to deviate away from it, but I need an alt to level when my leveling buddy isn't online.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Is champion tanking a viable thing? I seemed to be doing alright in the Goblintown throne room (I think that's where I was), although we couldn't kill the last boss because the other two people kept standing in the black poo poo and dying.

I like the balls to the wall dps and AoE but I'd also like to offer something else to get groups, anyone have any success stories or words of encouragement?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Helm's Deep is 50% off from 12/19 to 12/29, I guess that is slightly tempting to me.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I wish I could still get that shield that came with the pre-order of HD. I'll probably still go in on this though even though my highest level is only 52.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Personally I am really loving it on my champion currently, I feel like Legolas in the Desolation of Smaug. He's clearly level 50 in that movie and all of the orcs are like maybe level 3 or 4. That's how it feels for me, except in Dwarf form.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm re-reading the books and decided to play this again just to hang out in Middle Earth. Is a Hobbit Guardian as bad rear end as I am imagining in my head? So much to download still before I can get in and confirm this. Either that or a Dwarf of course.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I was thinking of a more populated one. I've got some guys on Brandywine but I was also thinking of checking out Landroval, though I'm not sure what I will encounter there to be honest.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I just took a stroll through the Old Forest on my hobbit last week so and had a poo poo load of fun in there. They really have improved the low level questing significantly if you haven't tried it for a while. North Downs was great and I hit 30 so fast and just strolled on over to Evendim.

I'm really glad you guys made me realize gently caress doing the early book quests. I've done those so many times on all my noob characters, there's just no point in me running back and forth to talk to Elrond and poo poo. I wanna get to Moria.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
What level is it ok to try Epic Battles at and maybe not suck so much? I tried one at 18 and died, so I lost my progress on that title, but I also had no clue what the gently caress I was doing and I only just now, at level 33, discovered the menu for setting your trait points for officer/vanguard/engineer.

I'm not sure which to pick, trying to decide between officer and engineer. Does my choice matter here a lot, like will one be noticeably more useful or are they both solid choices? I'm leaning more towards officer because I liked commanding my bros.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find anyone to play through with me. I'm on Landroval but I appreciate the offer.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I would get off Silverlode immediately. They are going to be opening up some form of transfer to allow for an exodus from all of the dead servers.

There are realistically two main servers, as far as I know. Brandywine, which is just a regular ol' server, and Landroval, which is "role playing encouraged" and generally has a community similar to what you would find on any other MMO RP server.

Personally I play on Landroval so I can pretend I am a simpleton hobbit in heavy armor with a big rear end sword or something, but the role playing isn't too heavy (although I have seen some weird poo poo go on at the Prancing Pony).

Overall I think Brandywine has the higher population and I'm not sure if the general goon consensus has been reached over what server they will migrate to when it is allowed (it seemed to be leaning towards Brandywine though, at one point).

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

bombhand posted:

The caution I'd give is that they're almost certainly not going to allow free transfers between populated servers. If you roll on Landy and all the goons end up on Brandy then you're kind of screwed, or vice versa, or even an entirely different server depending on how they end up implementing the migrations.

True, but I know it was me I'd prefer to roll the dice anyway and play on a more populated server right off the bat. I haven't been on Silverlode in a long time so I don't know how busy it is, but it is nice to see people always around while leveling. Gives it less of an empty feel.

Plus my highest character (mid 50s gently caress yeah) is on Brandywine so I can play with dudes regardless :feelsgood:

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I just switched my 42 guard to the yellow line for the first time and holy poo poo, you aren't kidding. It took a little bit to get used to but you really are crazy strong against groups. Single target is a low slower, but way less button presses too, or so it seems.

Good tip sir.

Actually I have a question, does Flash of Light proc against single targets whenever I hit them when marked? It seems like it does when I'm fighting 1v1, but I just wanted to double check.

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 8, 2015

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Playing a hobbit guardian is probably the best way to enjoy this game, especially since switching to yellow line. I've been making my way through Goblin Town for the first time ever (it's amazing) and I love rounding up as many goblins and wargs as possible and trying to kill them all.

Ignore the Pain is also the best skill, especially when yellow line to remove more debuffs. Fighting a bunch of wargs and they all howl in unison at me and put on like 5 debuffs then BAM my little dude just screams right back at them then continues to pound their faces all in.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Edit - Figured it out, I have to deconstruct it at a relic dude and unlock it there. Still wondering about my last question.

Is there a way to un-equip a legendary item from one of my slots? Also, is the first LI weapon you get special or something in that you can't level it without having it equipped? I have a new great club that has way better legacies and the dps matches where my first one is at so I switched over, but it looks like I can't level that original one anymore.

Is there even a point to leveling a LI that I don't play on using up to max level? I'm not sure what to do with my spare now.

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 28, 2015

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Thanks for the info. My first LI just so happens to be level 31 so that works out pretty well. I will deconstruct the poo poo out of that piece of crap, I'm straight clubbing it on my hobbit from here on out.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
No clue if there's a goon-sanctioned kin on Landroval, but I've been leveling away on my hobbit guardian and the people I've played with have been pretty nice so far. I like encountering people out and about and teaming up with them if they are game, made a few friends that way. I've also joined a kin with people on during most of my play times, so that's a nice bonus too. If you head over to Landroval, hit me up on Woddi if you ever see me on, I can help out any new folks with some early weapons or some such thing like that. Also I'm a hobbit, and who wouldn't want to make friends with a loving hobbit.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been re-reading LOTR, and I'm starting to get an interest in collecting bear asses in Middle Earth. One question I've got is about the story-content and if it's more than just being "The Guys following the Other Guys".

Some parts can feel like that, and if you've played the early book quests before I'd suggest skipping them and trudging ahead. My 56 guardian is the farthest I've ever made it, but I'm also going through the books again and it really makes me want to hang out in Middle Earth as much as possible.

I can't wait to get to Rohan and see if they call me Holbytla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
To be fair, Man Captains are cool enough but only by proxy.

I always like saying I was a Man Burglar too, has a nice ring to it.

Note - I play a Hobbit Guardian, the best loving combination.

ukrainius maximus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 6, 2015

• Locked thread