Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mr EFord posted:

Read the OP. :colbert:

As for why the out of date large list of old games is still in the OP - I tried to take it out at the beginning of the last thread and some folks really thought it should stay there even if some of the games really don't make the cut anymore.

So consider it there as a historical look at what we used to think was good.

The problem now is that the OP lists so many games that it's counter productive, it's the very definition of too long, didn't read. That entire 4th post is mostly junk games that will make people thing iOS gaming is crap. Two really bad GTA clones listed and no sign of Vice City?

We really need a new, shorter list of the very best of the App Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Superschaf posted:

iPad mini is probably the sweet spot?

The iPad Mini is always the sweet spot. God drat, I need to restate it for the new thread, but the mini is just about the perfect games device. Big enough to handle iPad games, small enough to tilt and swipe around like a phone.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Klungar posted:

I thought I had read that Ghost Trick was free, but having saved the dog, I now find that I have to spend $10-$15 to unlock the rest of the game. Did I just misread, and if so, is it worth the money to unlock the rest of the chapters?

A million times yes. It's one of the best games on iOS. Don't let the price put you off, it has a quality to match. Half the price of the DS original, but looks twice as good. It's a goddamn bargain.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Voodoo posted:

Rayman Jungle Run (US) Codes:

I grabbed the PT code, cheers dude.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone playing letter press? My Game Center nickname is my username.

Yes, and same GC name for me. I'll take any Letterpress challenges.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
How is that new Ravensword game? I ask because I recently tried booting up Aralon, which I was gifted when it first came out, and it's unplayable garbage. When it came out it was a novelty for being a full 3D adventure game on a platform that didn't really have such things, but when you judge it on its own merits it's a bag of arse.

So does Ravensword stand up as a good game, or is it just a shinier yet still lovely Elder Scrolls wannabe?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dewgy posted:

Is The Room good enough to buy twice, or should I hold off until I get an iPad?

Wait until you get an iPad. Not because it isn't great (because oh my god it is lovely), but because it is less than 2 hours long and you don't want to waste that experience on a tiny screen. Best to wait and enjoy it more. Sadly you only get to play it for the first time once.

I hope they make lots more, instant purchase from me if they do.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

tuyop posted:

So is nobody interested in participating in a SA Forums iOS GOTY thread/vote thing?

Maybe I'm alone in this, but as far as videogames go any interest in best games of the year ends at Dec 31st. Even disregarding Apple's App Store lockdown no good games are released in the last bit of the year. After Xmas and New Year it's time to look forward to new stuff rather than look back. Kotaku are just now starting their GotY coverage and it seems ludicrously late.

I think it'd be a great thing to have, but done at the right time. Start it first week of December with it ending at Xmas etc.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mr EFord posted:

I'm sure my opinion doesn't matter much since I wrote that review, but I really, really like the port. Crashes very little, no slow-down at all, graphics look great and the remake retains a lot of the charm from the original.

Of course this could be nostalgia based, but I clocked in 15+ hours on my play through for that review and never really had an issue with it. Only downside is the price.

I've got to ask about this, but the "graphics look great"? That seems an odd thing to say. The screenshots make it look like they just took the assets from the DS port and slapped them into the iPad, and it was already pig ugly when that remake came out in 2008 on a device with a screen resolution of 256 x 192. I see ultra-low resolution textures and low polygon count models. That really ugly and utilitarian font they use doesn't help either. It's the worst kind of halfway house; doesn't have the retro charm or nostalgia factor of the original, and also isn't something that stands up graphically as a current generation game.

I'm sure the gameplay for what it is would be fine. Being able to count the pixels in the texture on a 3D character model is just ... :psyduck:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Need For Speed: Most Wanted game is loving garbage. I thought for a dollar it might be a bit of a thing to piss about with from time to time when I can't get near the real thing on my PS3. Even for a dollar I feel like I wasted my money though.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Walking Dead is a great example of the difference between plot and narrative, which people sometimes confuse. The plot is the same for everyone, you will start and end the journey at the same places, and hit the same major events through the story. Everyone's personal narrative will be different though, and your version of a scene may vary greatly from my version of the same scene.

What makes it one of the greatest (and for some THE greatest) game of last year is that all of the choices you are presented are difficult, there is no "right" path, and despite knowing this you will often regret decisions that you make.

Fazana posted:

Mind me asking why? You opinion about games is usually reasonable but I've been loving nfs when I grabbed it for that price before christmas. The controls are almost as good as Asphalts, the gfx are pretty decent and there seems to be a decent amount of content, hell I even like the way the friend scoring is handled so I can compete with a mate who bought it at the same time.

I guess I'm just getting a little sick of some branches of iOS gaming that seem to be focusing of pushing the graphics to the system's limits and ignoring the fundamentals of gameplay. It's got shiny cars and a ton of polygons all moving around, but it's still just a racing game where you essentially drive along an artificial corridor just dodging a little bit left and right to avoid other cars and the edge of the track. Advanced player input is reduced to drifting (a bit) so that you can earn some nitrous to boost (a bit). I guess that what makes it so bad is that this almost on-rails feel is the type of gameplay we had in racing games 20 years ago and the car handling isn't really compelling enough to justify being locked to these race corridors. There have already been a ton of games like this already on iOS, and early in the platform's life it was easy enough to let it go as the novelty of a 3D-looking racing game on these new devices (especially on phones) meant that old gameplay felt if not fresh, then enough of a novelty at least that it was enough.

Maybe I'm just old. Maybe I've just seen too many of these games. NFS:MW is essentially a 16 Bit-era game with really shiny modern graphics (and it's only avoiding an 8 bit comparison because at least trackside obstacles don't instantly blow up the car). I'd trade all those licensed cars and polygons for a much less detailed game that let me, I don't know, turn around and drive in the other direction once in a while. Takedowns lack impact, so that's not enough of a draw either. It's not lifeless, it's just ... stale, outdated, old. A new game shouldn't feel so antiquated, and I don't care how pretty a game is we know the system, and the franchise on other platforms, is capable of greater ingenuity and design than the "tilt your way through a corridor" action on offer here.

Other opinions are available of course.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Bottom Liner posted:

This is all spot on, and exactly why it's such a great experience. I've been reading the comics since issue 10 was released, love the show, but I think the game is the best yet.

The game is the best of the three mediums that is tackling the same story because it was a complete and self-contained story. The TV show, and to a greater extent the comic book, are not as good because of their ongoing nature. I actually gave up on the comic around issue 70 as it was pretty clear that even after 6 years Robert Kirkman had no idea where he was going with the story. It was never bad, just meandering and directionless. There's only so long you can get away with making it up as you go along.

It remains one of the great truisms of writing, that you need to know the ending of the story before you write the beginning so you know if it's going to be worth the journey for you and for the audience. The game nailed the ending. Boy did it nail the ending.

I'm so happy that game exists, and that it did so well critically and commercially. It's the torchbearer for good storytelling, and the importance of good storytelling, and it will have a knock-on effect to the rest of the industry. We need games like this to raise people's expectations and shake devs out of the "good enough" mentality when it comes to game writing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The Blockheads is adorable. It does indeed nail the 2D Minecraft feeling, but still feels different enough. It's a slow start as the crafting process is slow, and can only be bypassed with time crystals, but I kind of don't mind that it's slow if that makes sense. It's a chill building game, and that 2D steampunk one just didn't grab me at all. I'm probably going to buy the crafting speed doubler (their version of a coin doubler) and get into this.

As was mentioned, it just needs some peril in the form of monsters. But yeah, do check this out.

Edit: okay, this game owns. I play a TON of Minecraft, and this gives a portable 2D experience that feels more minecrafty than even the Minecraft: Pocket Edition manages. It's going to eat my life, I think, depending upon just how deep the crafting process goes.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 10, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Zwilnik posted:

It's actually a game where the consumable IAP works well in terms of gameplay as it gives the mineable crystals actual value for the player. It would work without the option to be able to buy them, but knowing they're worth about 1p each does actually give it a bit of an edge and you feel like you're making money. Good headology :)

Oh you can mine the time crystals? In that case this game really is going to be my new addiction. Deepworld never clicked with me because it started me with a jetpack. If I begin by flying around in a jetpack, able to go anywhere ... well I peaked as soon as I loaded up the app.

Tested the 2 player mode earlier and you basically just invite people to come and join your existing world. Drop-in drop-out co-op play, that's awesome. We didn't get it working in our quick test run, but there's built in audio chat too.

Seriously guys, The Blockheads is dangerously good. Holy gently caress stop reading this and go download it right now.

E: Finding out how the game works by just trial and error is very satisfying, I will recommend that you NOT look up the help and enjoy the sense of discovery. Just be aware that crafting speed is affected by your energy level, so resting and such is important.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 10, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

McDragon posted:

People who didn't like that there were no baddies in Blockheads, I just found some monkey thing in a tree. It only attacked when it got punched though, don't know if there's more aggressive things.

I just discovered they will run down and punch you (once) at night if it's dark.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

loudog999 posted:

Does Blockheads support cloud saving? I can pull of playing it at work on my phone but would like to be able to continued on my iPad at home.

Not yet. Checked out the dev's site and Twitter and it's high on his list of things to add to the game. Looks like he intends adding more content over time too.

Bought the crafting speed doubler, totally worth it. With that, and making sure you are well rested, the timers are fine. Happy to throw this dude some dollars anyway, this is the kind of game I'm going to spend hours on. Great how in day one of this game, it already offers far, far more than Minecraft Pocket Edition which has been out forever, which costs more, and which comes from a company that is worth a gazillion dollars.

Got to praise the touch controls too. No messing around with virtual sticks, just tap where you want the guy to go, or what things you want to happen, and the game takes care of the rest. It's spot on, it shows that designing for a touchscreen rather than fighting it can really make the experience better.

Great little game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
If you scroll all the way down, it shows starlight on the other side of the world. :3:

I just made a hat. I'm very happy.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm now wearing a pair of monkey fur boots. I'm a monster.

With warm and stylish feet.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fazana posted:

Just flicking through the teaser trailers and saw one where they were riding a Donkey, looks like a hell of a lot of depth out of the gate.

How does it handle multiplayer, friend requesting or?

Yup, just invite a friend through GC and they can join your existing world. Even has voice chat. It's pretty sweet.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

allsizesfitone posted:

Goons, I just got an iPad mini, and I'm looking for good strategy games to play for it. I love the Kairosoft games, and I'd enjoy games like Clash of Clans or Battle Nations if it weren't for the terrible pace without IAP. I'm also not interested in PvP games -- I have no desire to work on something for a week just to have someone who's been playing forever roll through as soon as some stupid newbie protection buff wears off. Anything 4X, turn-based, or strategy-RPG flavored would be welcome, too!

Battle Academy is the best strategy game on the system.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

silloh posted:

I tried using the wooden platforms to make a roof to "build shelter", but the rain still seems to be seeping through.

How do I actually build shelter?

The platforms are different from other blocks in that they don't put a back wall in. With any other block, if you build two walls and then put a connecting roof it makes a sealed room automatically. The platforms are for making bridges and balconies and such.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I think I might be finished with Blockheads, for a while at least. Don't get me wrong I adore it and recommend it and I'm glad I bought some IAP to support it. I just think it needs more stuff to build with before I can become invested in it. You can make a couple of houses and things but the nature of how blocks are placed in 2D means there's not really a lot of variety right now. Only the chests and crafting stuff gets placed in such a way you can walk past them, so any clever builds will either need to be climbed over or have doors through them, or tunnels under them etc.

I know some really creative types will build some cool stuff, but I need more blocks and items before I can do anything fancy. I'm sure they are coming though, so I'll dip back in then.

It's a lovely app, it's off to a great start, and has masses of potential for the future. It's just a bit too barebones for me right now. Mind you, I probably say that due to playing hundreds of hours of Minecraft so that makes it easier to see the current limitations. This is still better than the portable Minecraft app though, which is ridiculously gimped.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Virigoth posted:

Do minecraft IOS worlds interact with "standard" minecraft servers/worlds?

You can't even join another iOS world unless it's on the same wifi network. Minecraft: Pocket Edition is woefully, woefully behind normal Minecraft. There are no caves. The map is 255 blocks square. Sand and gravel aren't afffected by gravity. There is no redstone functionality.

It's still fun in its own way, but yeah it's just a toy to give you the flavour of playing MC for a few minutes at work now and then.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Apocron posted:

I'm currently trying to decide between the iPad and iPad mini. Is there a significant in terms of gaming besides screen size? Say I wanted to play Avadon would the mini suffer in terms of gameplay?

The Mini is an amazing gaming device. I haven't found a single game yet (though it could happen) where the smaller screen was an issues, but the form factor benefits so many games. I cannot recommend it enough, the full size iPad is dead to me now.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Sad lions posted:

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).

It's not universal, iPhone only, but Wordjong is worth checking out. It's the tile matching Mahjong variant, but this time you need to clear the pattern by using the letter tiles to make words. Gets pretty challenging as obviously the better you make this word, the fewer good letters that may be left to clear the next one.

http://appshopper.com/games/wordjong

Also I was away from the forums for a couple of months. Was everyone talking about WarGames while I was gone? If not, you should all get WarGames. It's Dungeon Raid, but with a retro '80s feel, Matthew Broderick, and global thermonuclear war. You should buy WarGames.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Shalinor posted:

Arranger will be free for the next week, if anyone else was curious to check it out. It looks like the right kind of bizarre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_39gvEQ-YU

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on in that video. *clicks download*

Any trip reports on Vendetta Online yet? I'm really interested to hear how that works out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hey Shalinor, that Arranger game is deliciously bonkers. Thanks for the tip. Also, gently caress saxophones, I knew it would be trouble.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

oblomov posted:

So for the low, low, low price of $165 (plus DLC) you can have the full (well, no, just the rhythm game) IDOLM@STER experience! Well done, SCAMCO. :) Wonder how many people will bite on this one. Huh, and you thought SquareEnix was insane with their pricing....

The DLC is crazy money prices on XBOX too. I bought one of those over here in Hong Kong because I haven't had a good rhythm game since Elite Beat Agents and there were ten million of them on the shelves and shut up. Actually quite a good game the one time I played it, though I worry about being put on a government watch list just for owning it, because it's about picking your favourite barely legal J-pop girls and getting them to dance and sing through songs.

The DLC that showed up in the store was something like 1600 MS funbucks for one extra song or costume. That's like $20. For one extra song or (and it was hard to tell from the description) some kind of special outfit for a girl. I think the deal is that the people that are into this game, are REALLY into this game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

radge posted:

Why is no one talking about Crabitron? Probably the best game I've ever played on iPad.

Well I can't talk about it because I don't own it. Give me a reason to change that, sell me on it dude.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

eeenmachine posted:

Doh, it does have a 2 non-consumables coin doubler type purchases. And even worse they are asking people to donate money to them on their crabstarter page: http://twolivesleft.com/Crabstarter/

They are on record in the TA thread as saying they only put in the coin doublers (which apparently are entirely unnecessary) because people have asked in the past for ways to chuck more money at the devs to support them.

The Crabstarter page is just tracking game sales. It's the opposite of Kickstarter, you "donate" to the cause by buying the final finished game, right now. It's just for fun.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

marshmonkey posted:

Ummm...

There goes my 9 year old avatar, I feel so violated.

Fewer carbs. Fewer drat it, not less.

They've gone too far now. :argh:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

eeenmachine posted:

Just flipped Nimble Quest to $0.99 on a whim, if anyone wants it for free they should download now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nimble-quest/id583638819?mt=8

You really should just clone your own game with a space version. Lasers, lightsabers, robots and aliens. Just a literal reskin with sci-fi assets. Because why not?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Bummey posted:

WELL UGH THERE'S JUST NO PLEASING YOU IS THERE?

Someone's getting crabby.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

The iOS Games Megathread: "then reach around and bang his brains out".

I'm just bitter I spent an entire iTunes voucher on sensible apps for work last week, and didn't keep any in reserve for awesome looking crab games.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
That SurvivalCraft game looks like it pisses over Minecraft Pocket Edition. Caves, texture pack support, lots of animals, redstone equivalents, infinite worlds. MCPE is so barebones as to be unplayable, I'm going to give this a try I reckon.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I posted this in the Minecraft thread, but it belongs here too.

Quick trip report on that SurvivalCraft. Playing it on iPad Mini.

I just spawned in on a beach next to a giant frozen lake. I could see sharks in the ocean and birds flew overhead. I ran across the lake, being chased by a polar bear, and found some nice tall mountains. Saw a little cave up on the hill, decided I wanted to live there but a brown bear already called it home and told me to gently caress off. Tried fighting it with snowballs, but that went badly. Killed it by blocking it in and hitting it with dirt, but a wolf ate me before I could secure the entrance. Then I respawned at the beach and saw lighting set a polar bear on fire.

Game owns.

Combat is terrible, and the controls need a little tweaking, but this feels like playing mid-beta Minecraft desktop edition, but on an an iPad. It is a blatant, blatant clone, but having spent $7 on MCPE just on the hope that one day it wouldn't be terrible (and months later still waiting for even the most basic of features), I give exactly zero fucks. It's technically very polished, excellent framerate and loads quickly, pretty good draw distance, and the ability to download maps and texture packs from within the app (and swap these on the fly) is really good.

Honestly, if you are away from a real version of Minecraft, but have the itch to do a little digging or building while on the commute, this is very satisfying. It does have some rough edges, and does need some work, but it is actually being worked on. Checking out his vids he's already implemented a bunch of features at user request.

http://appshopper.com/games/survivalcraft

It's a good game, and far superior to Minecraft Pocket Edition. Universal, so iPhone users can get this too. Infinite world size, electronics, weather, cave systems. Absolutely worth getting. I've played hundreds of hours of Minecraft on Xbox, and this feels very comfortable and similar to the real thing. It's certainly months, if not years ahead of the official MCPE which is just a bag of arse that I regret spending money on.

Also I finally was able to pick up Crabitron today. It was like dipping my brain in joy.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm early into Star Command thanks to the HK store, and so far ... I'm loving it. Did the introductory ship combat, and the first boarding mission. Fighting off hostile boarding parties is tons of fun. Trying to get my little dudes to link up, reassigning roles so that I've got someone ready to heal and enough guns.

Early days, but so far this game gets two thumbs up from me. Everything about it is so drat charming.

Edit after another battle: Yeah, don't know how it'll hold up long term as I don't know how much content is there, but this game owns. I'm loving it.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 1, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Sad lions posted:

Anyway, what are the controls like on Star Command? Very curious about that one.

Tap a crew member to select them, tap again to send them to a place on the ship. You can pinch and zoom all the way in and out, so fine selection is easy. If someone is surrounded by other dudes, you can select anyone else and use arrows to cycle through crew members. Pan around and tap stuff for everything else.

Works really well. To get crew to do jobs they just need to be in the right place. Red crew must be anywhere in a red room for that room to count as active. No firing torpedoes without someone in the room to fire them. Crew can change through the three colours by being assigned to a room of a different colour, but will need to walk over there to change uniform. Each crew member has a little area of effect, doing actions to things inside that area. Red crew shoot boarding parties, blue crew heal other dudes, yellow crew put out fires and fix the ship.

Honestly, tapping around getting the crew to create ammo for the guns, while putting out a fire and fixing a hull breach, while fighting off a boarding party, and firing weapons at the enemy ship, is TONS of fun.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Cyberbob posted:

So, Initial thoughts on Star Command?

It's great, buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

It's a cute and charming game, and keeping tabs on everything during battles is exciting and fun. I really like it.

• Locked thread